Was Elijah a Gentile? Is that why he ate food that wasn't kosher?

Was Elijah a Gentile?

• Yes, I think he was.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No way.... he can't be.

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • I don't know. My brain hurts!

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Elijah who? What's a Gentile?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Mr. George Chuang is certainly one of the most amazingly well informed scholars of Bible prophecy that I have ever found.

He asks questions in this video that I hadn't even thought of in the past.

Wow!

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I had heard many years ago that the Prophet Elijah was from the
Northern Kingdom of Israel,
specifically from the half tribe of Menasseh.

That would make Elijah a Samaritan ....
sort of.....

Here is the background for Mr. George Chuang:

RevelationEndTime | Understanding End Time Events

About George Chuang

George Chuang was a devout Buddhist before he became a Christian. As a child, he spent many hours sitting in front of Buddhist shrines chanting mantras. When he was seventeen years old he suddenly became very depressed because he couldn't find the meaning of life. Everything in life appeared to be empty. To him it was a cycle of rising in the morning, studying at school, and then sleeping at night only to be repeated again the next day. He realized this cycle would carry on through college and upon graduation it would only be changed to rising, working, and sleeping, then repeated the next day. And after many years, one day you die, leaving everything behind. So he wondered, what is the meaning of life. This could not possibly be the reason why man exists on earth.

So as a seventeen-year-old he began to take walks late at night when the city was asleep, and all was quiet around him, wondering what is the meaning of life. Then one evening, he gazed up at the stars and saw the vast expanse of the heavens. He knew in his heart there was a God out there somewhere and he wanted to know Him. So he prayed, "Most High God, whoever You are. I don't know You, but You know me. Help me to find You, so that I can worship You." And with that prayer he was content because deep in his heart he knew that the Most High God was able to hear him. If He was not able to hear his prayer then He was not the greatest and the most powerful of the gods. Suddenly, from that time on an intense burning desire began to stir in his heart. A burning in his soul that told him he needed to get to a church. Within a few weeks a friend suddenly invited him to church. When he arrived at church, he knew deep within that he had found the Most High God and he gave his life over to the Lord soon after.

Although George attended a bible college, he received the Lord's ministry training at USC (University of Suffering in China) and then received further theological training at MIT (Mulling in Taiwan). He is currently living somewhere in Asia.

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Not going to spend 26 minutes on the video. What specific scripture does he reference?

He does a great job of explaining how an observant Jew would be unlikely to eat food
taken to him by an unclean bird, a raven.

Remember how Cephas / Peter reacted to the vision of Acts 10?

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He does a great job of explaining how an observant Jew would be unlikely to eat food
taken to him by an unclean bird, a raven.

Remember how Cephas / Peter reacted to the vision of Acts 10?

Well a Pharisee would not.

But the Mosaic Law doesn't get into all that. A raven was not to be eaten, but there was no prohibition against contact with an unclean animal. Horses, donkeys, and camels, for instance, are unclean animals.

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Well a Pharisee would not.

But the Mosaic Law doesn't get into all that. A raven was not to be eaten, but there was no prohibition against contact with an unclean animal. Horses, donkeys, and camels, for instance, are unclean animals.

True....
while an unclean animals is still alive.....
contact with them seems to be OK.

But a lot of questions would come into the mind of
a Jew about the calibre of any food brought to them by a raven. (Especially if it was any kind of meat)?

Upvote 0

Hearingheart

May 25, 2016
Midwest
✟86,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
The question of the raven feeding Elijah and being unclean brings up a good point. It was not just the Pharisee that kept kosher laws. All Jewish people followed the law. Lev. 7:19, Acts 10:14, Ezek. 4:14:15.
Another thing a Jewish person would not do that Elijah did; live with a gentile women (sent to Zarephath in the region of Sidon) Jesus talked about Elijah living with widow and healing Naaman. Luke 4. Because of this they wanted to throw him down a cliff.

This first part of the video was setting up evidence for the Jewish prejudice against Gentiles.

Short snippets from the video

For myself, I enjoyed the video as food for thought and something to look into.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not going to spend 26 minutes on the video. What specific scripture does he reference?
Lev 7:19 `And the flesh which cometh against any unclean thing is not eaten; with fire it is burnt; as to the flesh, every clean one doth eat of the flesh;

He uses several other scriptures to show that Elijah may have been a gentile. This is the one about eating meat from an unclean animal, the raven.

Upvote 0

Dkh587

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Lev 7:19 `And the flesh which cometh against any unclean thing is not eaten; with fire it is burnt; as to the flesh, every clean one doth eat of the flesh;

He uses several other scriptures to show that Elijah may have been a gentile. This is the one about eating meat from an unclean animal, the raven.
It seems to me that in context, that this is from instructions about meat from what is called the Fellowship/Peace Offering, and not regarding a situation like Elijah eating food that a raven brought him. Just wanted to mention that.

ETA: if you go back to Leviticus 6:24-25, this whole block of scripture was commanded to Aaron & his sons, the Levite priests, not all of Israel. We don't see "say to the children of Israel" until Leviticus 7:22-23. I would say it's safe to say that from Leviticus 6:24-25 to Leviticus 7:21 is to the priests, not Israel, therefore not relevant to a raven bringing Elijah food.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It seems to me that in context, that this is from instructions about meat from what is called the Fellowship/Peace Offering, and not regarding a situation like Elijah eating food that a raven brought him.
I agree. But if we look at the other purity laws we see that to even touch something that another unclean person had touched made one unclean. Such as when a woman was menstruating. To this day Orthodox Jews sleep in separate beds during this time of the month.
Also, could it have been possible that the ravens brought him the food in some sort of container or basket, instead of them carrying the bread & meat in their talons/claws?
I suppose it is possible. That would mean that a clean person would have had to load the basket but when the raven touched the basket it would be unclean and possibly anything that was in it. idk.
Another thing to consider, Elijah had a Hebrew name: EliYah = My El(God) is YAH. Why would a non-Israelite name their child Elijah?
Because they believed in the God of the Israelites even though they were not an Israelite.
I could see if it was a Gentile that chose to live in Israel(in that situation, they would be an Israelite anyways), and lived according to God's commandments, but I don't think it's likely that a gentile who disregarded the God of Abraham(YAH) would name their child EliYah.
Living in Israel did not make one an Israelite. There were Gentiles who believed in the God of the Israelites but because they were not circumcised were not Israelites, even though they obeyed the laws of the nation.

During the Second Temple period they were called the Proselytes of the Gate. Cornelius may have been one of these and I can see why Cornelius may have named his own child a Hebrew name just as Christians often do today.

YLT
Act 10:1 And there was a certain man in Caesarea, by name Cornelius, a centurion from a band called Italian,
Act 10:2 pious, and fearing God with all his house, doing also many kind acts to the people, and beseeching God always,

Upvote 0

Dkh587

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I agree. But if we look at the other purity laws we see that to even touch something that another unclean person had touched made one unclean. Such as when a woman was menstruating. To this day Orthodox Jews sleep in separate beds during this time of the month.

I suppose it is possible. That would mean that a clean person would have had to load the basket but when the raven touched the basket it would be unclean and possibly anything that was in it. idk.

Because they believed in the God of the Israelites even though they were not an Israelite.

Living in Israel did not make one an Israelite. There were Gentiles who believed in the God of the Israelites but because they were not circumcised were not Israelites, even though they obeyed the laws of the nation.

During the Second Temple period they were called the Proselytes of the Gate. Cornelius may have been one of these and I can see why Cornelius may have named his own child a Hebrew name just as Christians often do today.

YLT
Act 10:1 And there was a certain man in Caesarea, by name Cornelius, a centurion from a band called Italian,
Act 10:2 pious, and fearing God with all his house, doing also many kind acts to the people, and beseeching God always,

It's true that certain things make you unclean, but touching an unclean animal was not one of them, unless the animal was dead, which is why the commands specified and mentioned touching carcass of the unclean animal is what makes someone unclean. I don't see why a raven bringing Elijah food would make the food/Elijah unclean, or that he's a gentile.

To sum it up though, this is really no indication at all that he was not an Israelite by blood. To use the story of the ravens is actually quite a reach to say that he was a Gentile. Seems to me that this person has a very shallow understanding of the law.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It seems to me that in context, that this is from instructions about meat from what is called the Fellowship/Peace Offering, and not regarding a situation like Elijah eating food that a raven brought him. Just wanted to mention that.

ETA: if you go back to Leviticus 6:24-25, this whole block of scripture was commanded to Aaron & his sons, the Levite priests, not all of Israel. We don't see "say to the children of Israel" until Leviticus 7:22-23. I would say it's safe to say that from Leviticus 6:24-25 to Leviticus 7:21 is to the priests, not Israel, therefore not relevant to a raven bringing Elijah food.
Here is something about Tishbe.
Bible Map: Tishbe (Hazor)

Reactions: DennisTate
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
At 21:23 He wraps up and shows where the connection/meaning for us.

The term "gentile" has no meaning prior to the birth of Isaac and arguably not before the Mosaic Law (or we'd have to argue that Caleb was merely a gentile).

No real scholar should have argued that prophesies could only come from "Jews." Not should any real scholar have argued that God only talks to Jews. The OT tells us enough about that.

We already know from ample NT testimony that Jesus' salvation is for both Jews and Gentiles.

I guess this falls into "Controversial Theology" for Messianics, maybe, but not for Christians.

• Agree
Reactions: DennisTate
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
The question of the raven feeding Elijah and being unclean brings up a good point. It was not just the Pharisee that kept kosher laws. All Jewish people followed the law. Lev. 7:19, Acts 10:14, Ezek. 4:14:15.
Another thing a Jewish person would not do that Elijah did; live with a gentile women (sent to Zarephath in the region of Sidon) Jesus talked about Elijah living with widow and healing Naaman. Luke 4. Because of this they wanted to throw him down a cliff.

This first part of the video was setting up evidence for the Jewish prejudice against Gentiles.

EXACTLY!!!!!!

That is a huge point that needs to be understood before the full restoration of the Lost Tribes of Israel can be completed.............

I could be wrong.... I often am... but I strongly suspect that King Solomon knew people who might just starve to death before eating food brought to them by a raven......... or yes... live with a Gentile woman......

Ecclesiastes 7:16

"Be not righteous over much; neither make thyself over wise: why shouldest thou destroy thyself?"

Mr. George Chuang also does a highly commendable job of explaining where America fits
in Bible prophecy. I personally don't see gaping flaws in his ideas at all..........

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well maybe you are correct but I don't agree.

PEACE-OFFERING - JewishEncyclopedia.com
Jewish Encyclopedia - Wikipedia

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Why do we care?

Jews for centuries appear not to have cared.

Why would Christians care?

True... but it gives us a heads up as to what will happen next so that we are
better prepared.......
for example.... the final Elijah is scheduled to restore the Lost Tribes of Israel.......
so it helps......
if he is from the Lost Tribes and therefore better understands the restoration process.

Douay-Rheims Catholic Bible, Ecclesiasticus Chapter 48

[6] Who broughtest down kings to destruction, and brokest easily their power in pieces, and the glorious from their bed. [7] Who heardest judgment in Sina, and in Horeb the judgments of vengeance. [8] Who anointedst kings to penance, and madest prophets successors after thee. [9] Who wast taken up in a whirlwind of fire, in a chariot of fiery horses. [10] Who art registered in the judgments of times to appease the wrath of the Lord, to reconcile the heart of the father to the son, and to restore the tribes of Jacob.

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

Here is an interesting quotation about the original Elijah that I just read.

I had heard this years ago.

https://onemansweb.org/theology/the...-spirit-of-elijah-or-the-spirit-of-jesus.html

Remember that story of Mount Carmel. That's where the Priests of Baal are praying to their God to set fire to their offering on the altar. It's when Elijah makes his joke about their God being busy on the toilet— most Bibles are too polite to translate it honestly— But when Elijah prays to God, then fire comes down from heaven and lights up the altar. And afterwards, he incites the people to murder all the prophets of Baal. They massacre 450 people.

Upvote 0