Want to be saved/am saved but I don't feel bad about sin

ladylins

Mar 8, 2011
✟7,651.00
Faith
Christian
I want to be saved and go to heaven but I don't feel bad about my sins. I know I am a sinner and according to the Bible I deserve to go to hell. But I don't feel bad about my sins. I heard that if you do not feel bad about your sins you cannot be saved. I understand everything about salvation and I've prayed it before but I only did it because I want to go to heaven and not hell. Am I saved? Can I be saved if I don't feel bad about my sin?

RobertZ

Feb 26, 2009
Gastonia NC
✟4,414.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I want to be saved and go to heaven but I don't feel bad about my sins. I know I am a sinner and according to the Bible I deserve to go to hell. But I don't feel bad about my sins. I heard that if you do not feel bad about your sins you cannot be saved. I understand everything about salvation and I've prayed it before but I only did it because I want to go to heaven and not hell. Am I saved? Can I be saved if I don't feel bad about my sin?

Repentance over sin isnt "beating yourself up over it" for that is worldly sorrow which brings death. Repentance is a change of mind about your former sinful life in which you turn to the Living God from your idols.

Do not obsess over how much sorrow you think you should feel for this is where satan desires to keep you and if he can keep you there long enough you will find yourself further away from Christ then when you first started.

As for answering if you are saved or not you should never EVER depend on someone else telling you that for only God knows if you are saved.

Upvote 0

th1bill

A Believer/Follower
Jul 5, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟68,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I see that Robert has given you the mystery feel good answer but according to scripture, if you still plan to sin, the Holy Spirit is not directing your life. This is going to be a tough, bu today's standard, scripture reference, but you'll need to read the Christian Manifesto, Romans, from beginning to end!

Start by reading Romans 12:1 and then go to the beginning and read the letter as it was intended to be read, from start to finish, just as though you were in the Army or the Marines and it was a letter from your lady friend. After that I recommend that you read the book of James, i the same manor. Both can be read in, well under an hour.

Reactions: JustRachel
Upvote 0

singpeace

Site Supporter
Oct 21, 2009
U.S.
✟40,147.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Ladylin,

While I agree we aren't to 'beat ourselves up' when we stumble, I wholeheartedly agree with th1bill. If you have no conviction over sin, something is wrong.

When one is born again, her old sinful nature dies, and she receives a new nature - the nature of Christ in which she hates sin, strives to not sin, and feels remorse whenever she stumbles into sin. The born again nature of Christ feels lonely for God, seeks to do his will because she hungers and thirsts after righteousness.

If you simply said some words out loud because you thought that would keep you from going to Hell, but in your heart you didn't mean those words, God is not fooled. He looks at the heart of each one of us. A deaf mute can become born again. The words mean nothing if the heart does not repent.

Let me encourage you. Please don't let what we say hurt you or scare you away. Keep talking openly about this and seek to truly find that place we all must reach in our hearts in order to be saved.

No one is promised tomorrow. I am so glad you were honest and courageous enough to ask your question.

If we can help you, pray for you, encourage you... please let us. 'Promise not to beat up on you. I'm so far from perfection I can't tell you. Though I feel guilt and remorse, I still can't go more than a day or two without realizing I missed it again somewhere.

Are you truly concerned about your eternity? Do you have questions about what you can do? We're here for you.

Read all that th1bill suggested. If you don't understand something, ask away and I promise if I don't know the answer, I will get the right one for you.

God bless you, girl. God is looking out for you or you wouldn't have posted today. He has a plan for you, no doubt. He loves you.

Reactions: JustRachel
Upvote 0

RobertZ

Feb 26, 2009
Gastonia NC
✟4,414.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Okay, Let me make myself very clear on one thing. I never stated that she shouldnt have any conviction over sin. I see that a couple of people here for whatever reason assume that I am telling her that. Of course she should feel conviction but afterwards if she has truly repented of her sin then she shouldnt go on obsessing about it to the point of despair. When God forgives a person he forgives them and he finds it reproachful when we go on despairing about the sin that he has forgiven, that in itself is a form of unbelief.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
If we don't repent when we sin, yet we acknowledge the sin for what it is, we are still children of the devil.

The word 'Jesus' is not in the OP, as it should be...have you fell to your knees, knowing you are helpless to save yourself, acknowledged Christ as the risen son of God, and pleaded with God Himself for your very soul? Have you asked God to destroy you on a cross only for you to pick it up and walk with Christ? If you have not done these very things, you are not saved.

Upvote 0

eyeofthestormministries

Eye of the Storm Ministries
Mar 30, 2011
Maryland
Visit site
✟15,290.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

You must repent in order to be saved which in turn will bring conviction to the heart. Once you ask the Lord for forgiveness in Prayer, also ask to receive His forgiveness through prayer and then let it go as you cannot change what has already happened in the past. Even though we are saved, we are still tempted but we have tools from God to strike down those temptations.

One of my favorite scriptures about this is I Corinthians 10:13, "No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; He will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, He will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it."

I hope this has shed some light on this for you. :)

God bless,

Pastor Michael

Upvote 0

faceofbear

Veteran
Aug 3, 2009
Texas
✟9,739.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

I struggle with assurance, and am currently struggling with it, but I will tell you what I've learned.

First of all, the Gospel is not a prayer. You won't ever be saved through a prayer, ever. You'll only walk away with no assurance, or you'll be deceiving yourself into thinking you've "accepted Christ as" your "Savior." But in reality, you've accepted nothing.

The Gospel saves. Not your prayers. The Gospel is that God demonstrated His righteousness, His justice, and His love towards us, that He sent His only Son into the world to be a propitiation for our sins. All while we were and are helpless to save ourselves. Christ was put over for our sins, and raised on the third day of His death for the justification of His people. Christ is our wisdom, our sanctification, our righteousness, and our justification. It's not a matter of you performing a righteous act before God in order for Him to accept you. You either are accepted in Christ, or you aren't. How are you accepted? Through believing.

But don't mistake belief. Belief is not the Gospel. The Gospel is that God demonstrated His righteousness, His justice, and His love towards us, that He sent His only Son into the world to be a propitiation for our sins. All while we were and are helpless to save ourselves. Christ was put over for our sins, and raised on the third day of His death for the justification of His people. Christ is our wisdom, our sanctification, our righteousness, and our justification.

Belief is not a righteous act which you perform to commend yourself to God. Belief is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. In other words, faith rests on what you cannot see. Faith hopes in God. Faith rests on the finished work of Christ. It's not a work. It's a resting on the finished work of the Savior.

It's not a matter of whether you sorrow enough. In fact, who sorrows enough over their sin? No one. Yet if this was a pre-requisite to be saved, then it is no longer Christ who saves, but your penitence for sin. A righteous act. A blaspheme to the Savior. Christ must save and Christ alone, and Christ does not depend on your penitence. But on His sovereign will to save those who believe.

But is not your impenitence a reason to trust on the Savior? Is not your impenitence proof that you cannot save yourself? Isn't this impenitence pointing you to Christ? Thou must save, and Thou alone.

You say that you understand everything about salvation. That's great. But I hate to tell you this, you don't. If you think you're saved by prayer, you don't understand the basics of the Gospel. I say this not to anger you, but to reconsider your stance and to really study the Gospel. Again, it is the Gospel that saves, not your penitence, not your prayer, not your faith. Why? Well, the Gospel is the power of God, not the power of man, unto Salvation, for everyone who believes.

So what do you do? Nothing. You "believe on the Lord Jesus Christ." But isn't that doing something? No. It's resting on the facts of a risen Savior for your sins. If you do not rest on this, and insist you must work, or must have some remorse, or must repent, or must believe, and make a work out of that which are graces, you blaspheme the Savior. You say, "Your work was not finished, I must add to Calvary." You call God a liar, and spit on the blood of Christ. Yet Christ, what did He say, "It is finished." So if God said, "It is finished." What can you, a human, do to add to that? What can you, a human, do but trust that God meant what He said before He bowed His head in death for sinful men, to justify them before His Father, and to spend life eternal with them?

You refuse to come to Him that you may have life. You are like a Pharisee, you wish to justify yourself. Yet don't take my word for it. Open your Bible and you'll see what I am saying is not just my opinion, but a fact of all mankind. Not just some specific people, but all of us. We are all haters of God, and cannot be reconciled to Him but by the Savior.

Don't rest on anything this self-righteous generation tells you. Test it with scripture. You'll see that all who say, "You MUST do this," or, "You MUST do that," are just as self-righteous as the Pharisees and are essentially saying, "But LORD, did I not have enough FAITH in YOUR NAME? Did I not work enough in Your name? Didn't I repent in Your name? Didn't I cast out demons, didn't I have fruits?" Yet none of these people, not one, said, "But Lord, did your Son not die in my stead?" Because that is salvation, and anyone who trusts in Him will not be put to shame.

This thread is evidence enough that people want input in their salvation. Test what they say. Test what I say. But I can assure you, anything that points you to yourself, the disease, and not to Christ, the Physician, is a lie straight from the pit of Hell and will not save you, but only eternally damn you.

Repentance and faith are evidences. Not roots. Christ is the Root. But even the disciples, while they knew Christ, lacked faith. Christ even asked, "Why are ye so fearful? how is it ye have no faith?" Yet were they not loved by the Son of God and chosen by Him?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ladylins

Mar 8, 2011
✟7,651.00
Faith
Christian
I don't think the "prayer" saved me at all...I know the prayer cannot save me...it is my belief that saves me right?
I just don't feel bad about my sin...I believe Jesus died on the cross for my sins, rose again, etc. I believe all that. I know that I'm sinner...I just don't feel bad about my sin...and I wonder if that's a problem. I just don't want to mess around with someting so important as my eternity.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RobertZ

Feb 26, 2009
Gastonia NC
✟4,414.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't think the "prayer" saved me at all...I know the prayer cannot save me...it is my belief that saves me right?
I just don't feel bad about my sin...I believe Jesus died on the cross for my sins, rose again, etc. I believe all that. I know that I'm sinner...I just don't feel bad about my sin...and I wonder if that's a problem. I just don't want to mess around with someting so important as my eternity.

I dont know what else to tell you that has not already been said, I would advise you to read faceofbears post as many times as needed until you understand what he is telling you.

Upvote 0

faceofbear

Veteran
Aug 3, 2009
Texas
✟9,739.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

I answer your question in the same post:

I struggle with assurance, and am currently struggling with it, but I will tell you what I've learned.

First of all, the Gospel is not a prayer. You won't ever be saved through a prayer, ever. You'll only walk away with no assurance, or you'll be deceiving yourself into thinking you've "accepted Christ as" your "Savior." But in reality, you've accepted nothing.

The Gospel saves. Not your prayers. The Gospel is that God demonstrated His righteousness, His justice, and His love towards us, that He sent His only Son into the world to be a propitiation for our sins. All while we were and are helpless to save ourselves. Christ was put over for our sins, and raised on the third day of His death for the justification of His people. Christ is our wisdom, our sanctification, our righteousness, and our justification. It's not a matter of you performing a righteous act before God in order for Him to accept you. You either are accepted in Christ, or you aren't. How are you accepted? Through believing.

But don't mistake belief. Belief is not the Gospel. The Gospel is that God demonstrated His righteousness, His justice, and His love towards us, that He sent His only Son into the world to be a propitiation for our sins. All while we were and are helpless to save ourselves. Christ was put over for our sins, and raised on the third day of His death for the justification of His people. Christ is our wisdom, our sanctification, our righteousness, and our justification.

Belief is not a righteous act which you perform to commend yourself to God. Belief is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. In other words, faith rests on what you cannot see. Faith hopes in God. Faith rests on the finished work of Christ. It's not a work. It's a resting on the finished work of the Savior.

It's not a matter of whether you sorrow enough. In fact, who sorrows enough over their sin? No one. Yet if this was a pre-requisite to be saved, then it is no longer Christ who saves, but your penitence for sin. A righteous act. A blaspheme to the Savior. Christ must save and Christ alone, and Christ does not depend on your penitence. But on His sovereign will to save those who believe.

But is not your impenitence a reason to trust on the Savior? Is not your impenitence proof that you cannot save yourself? Isn't this impenitence pointing you to Christ? Thou must save, and Thou alone.

You say that you understand everything about salvation. That's great. But I hate to tell you this, you don't. If you think you're saved by prayer, you don't understand the basics of the Gospel. I say this not to anger you, but to reconsider your stance and to really study the Gospel. Again, it is the Gospel that saves, not your penitence, not your prayer, not your faith. Why? Well, the Gospel is the power of God, not the power of man, unto Salvation, for everyone who believes.

So what do you do? Nothing. You "believe on the Lord Jesus Christ." But isn't that doing something? No. It's resting on the facts of a risen Savior for your sins. If you do not rest on this, and insist you must work, or must have some remorse, or must repent, or must believe, and make a work out of that which are graces, you blaspheme the Savior. You say, "Your work was not finished, I must add to Calvary." You call God a liar, and spit on the blood of Christ. Yet Christ, what did He say, "It is finished." So if God said, "It is finished." What can you, a human, do to add to that? What can you, a human, do but trust that God meant what He said before He bowed His head in death for sinful men, to justify them before His Father, and to spend life eternal with them?

You refuse to come to Him that you may have life. You are like a Pharisee, you wish to justify yourself. Yet don't take my word for it. Open your Bible and you'll see what I am saying is not just my opinion, but a fact of all mankind. Not just some specific people, but all of us. We are all haters of God, and cannot be reconciled to Him but by the Savior.

Don't rest on anything this self-righteous generation tells you. Test it with scripture. You'll see that all who say, "You MUST do this," or, "You MUST do that," are just as self-righteous as the Pharisees and are essentially saying, "But LORD, did I not have enough FAITH in YOUR NAME? Did I not work enough in Your name? Didn't I repent in Your name? Didn't I cast out demons, didn't I have fruits?" Yet none of these people, not one, said, "But Lord, did your Son not die in my stead?" Because that is salvation, and anyone who trusts in Him will not be put to shame.

This thread is evidence enough that people want input in their salvation. Test what they say. Test what I say. But I can assure you, anything that points you to yourself, the disease, and not to Christ, the Physician, is a lie straight from the pit of Hell and will not save you, but only eternally damn you.

Repentance and faith are evidences. Not roots. Christ is the Root. But even the disciples, while they knew Christ, lacked faith. Christ even asked, "Why are ye so fearful? how is it ye have no faith?" Yet were they not loved by the Son of God and chosen by Him?

Faith doesn't save. You're trusting faith, not Christ. And if your sin does not make you feel bad, why do you even believe Christ has died for you? And if you believe Christ has died for you, why wouldn't the fact that the innocent Son of God poured out His blood as a living sacrifice experiencing separation and wrath from the Father as a propitiation for you? It's not a matter of your sorrow saving you. It's a matter of whether you truly believe in God and trust that His Son has poured His blood out for you, and yet remain impenitent.

Sorrow for sin is a result of the new birth. Not the cause of it.

Historic Church Documents at Reformed.org

Read that.

One more question. If you believe, as you say you do, then why do you doubt? And if you doubt, do you really believe? And if you believe you believe, yet still doubt, do you doubt because you believe faith will save you? Or do you doubt that Christ is sufficient. Because faith won't save you, and Christ is sufficient, so really, your doubt is whether God's testimony is true.

I speak as someone who has struggled, and is struggling with similar questions. And I'm extremely introvert (as you can probably tell).

I suggest giving that book a read, and read through John. And if you still doubt, read John again, and again, and again. Keep reading the Gospels, because it is the Gospel that is the power of God unto salvation. So, if God's power comes through the Gospel, why look anywhere else until you trust in the sufficiency of Christ?

Reactions: blacksheep78
Upvote 0

RobertZ

Feb 26, 2009
Gastonia NC
✟4,414.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
so do you have to repent before you get saved? which is it? before or after? I heard a service last night at my church and they said you have to repent before you can get saved...but what does it exactly mean to repent?

If your church is telling you that I would advise you to find a new place of worship. They are making a work out of repentance by making repentance a requirement that must be fulfilled before salvation, repentance comes only after salvation has been given to the person by God. Before you are saved it is impossible to have a Godly desire for true repentance because you are still dead in your sins and will not seek God.

In short from the sound of it you church is putting the cart before the horse. Go stand out in a cemetery and tell all of those dead people to come up out of their graves, you will get the same results doing that as you will telling a person who is spiritually dead that they must repent before they can be saved.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

student ad x

Senior Contributor
Feb 20, 2009
just outside the forrest
✟29,077.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hey there! Welcome! :wave:

Maybe you are trying to do too much........... too soon. Here's a quoted section
from the English Particular Baptist C.H. Spurgeon's book All of Grace:
But possibly you have been trying to believe too much. Now do not aim at great things. Be satisfied to have a faith that can hold in its hand this one truth, "While we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly." He laid down His life for men while as yet they were not believing in Him, nor were able to believe in Him. He died for men, not as believers, but as sinners. He came to make these sinners into believers and saints; but when He died for them He viewed them as utterly without strength. If you hold to the truth that Christ died for the ungodly, and believe it, your faith will save you, and you may go in peace. If you will trust your soul with Jesus, who died for the ungodly, even though you cannot believe all things, nor move mountains, nor do any other wonderful works, yet you are saved. It is not great faith, but true faith, that saves; and the salvation lies not in the faith, but in the Christ in whom faith trusts. Faith as a grain of mustard seed will bring salvation. It is not the measure of faith, but the sincerity of faith, which is the point to be considered. Surely a man can believe what he knows to be true; and as you know Jesus to be true, you, my friend, can believe in Him.
May God bless!

Reactions: blacksheep78
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hupomone10

Veteran
Mar 21, 2010
Here
✟12,471.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Christianity involves our feelings, but it's not based on how we feel. It is a life of faith, not a life of feeling. Some of the tremendous conviction of the awefulness of sin comes over time of walking with Him. The closer you draw to the light, the more clearly we see our flaws.

Having said that, here's something I read when I find myself not "feeling" remorse for sin:

"What is sin? Sin is saying, “I renounce the God who made me. I disallow His right to govern me. I care not what He says to me, what commandments He has given, nor how earnestly He implores me. I prefer self-indulgence to His approval. I am indifferent to all He has done to and for me. His blessings and gifts move me not. I am going to be lord of myself.”

It is the excellency of God and the infinite perfections of His glorious being which renders Him worthy of and entitled to our supreme love and fullest obedience. Our failure to love so lovable an Object as the God of love is that which chiefly renders us to blame and is the crime of crimes.

The evil of sin arises from our obligation to love and serve Him who is infinitely glorious. The language of every sinner’s heart is, “I care not what God requires; I’m going to have my own way. I care not what God’s claims are upon me. I refuse to submit to His authority. I care not what He has threatened to do to those that defy Him; I will not be intimidated. His eyes may be upon me, but I am not going to be restrained thereby. I care not what He loves and what He hates; I shall please myself.”

But when the Holy Spirit enlightens and convicts a soul, his language is, “Against thee, thee only, have I sinned, and done this evil in thy sight.”

- A. W. Pink

Upvote 0

His_disciple3

Nov 22, 2010
as close to Jesus as I can be
✟17,075.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You must repent in order to be saved which in turn will bring conviction to the heart. Once you ask the Lord for forgiveness in Prayer, also ask to receive His forgiveness through prayer and then let it go as you cannot change what has already happened in the past. Even though we are saved, we are still tempted but we have tools from God to strike down those temptations.

One of my favorite scriptures about this is I Corinthians 10:13, "No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; He will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, He will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it."

I hope this has shed some light on this for you. :)
God bless,

Pastor Michael

if You do as Christ has said , then repentence is taken care of also. our Father which art in heaven............ forgive us our debts/trespasses as we forgive our debtors, didn't Jesus say to prayer this daily, give us our daily bread???? doesn't all the law and the prophets hang on two laws/commandments to Love God then love one another. and doesn't it also say that love covers a multitude of sin????

Galatians 5:1-4
5 Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.
2 Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing.
3 For I testify again to every man that is circumcised, that he is a debtor to do the whole law.
4 Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.
KJV

I hope this has shed some light for all ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ashout

As Tall as Goliath and as fearsome too!
Oct 27, 2009
Home
✟10,056.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
here is the deal, wheathor or not you feel bad about sin, you merely have to stop doing it to please God! and do the other things he requires of you as in the bible! then your all good, you'll make it in in no time!

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO FEEL BAD ABOUT SIN TO STOP SINNING.

Upvote 0

Hupomone10

Veteran
Mar 21, 2010
Here
✟12,471.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
here is the deal, wheathor or not you feel bad about sin, you merely have to stop doing it to please God! and do the other things he requires of you as in the bible! then your all good, you'll make it in in no time!

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO FEEL BAD ABOUT SIN TO STOP SINNING.
:thumbsup:

Upvote 0