• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

Voting and Christians

Discussion in 'Baptists' started by VCViking, Aug 11, 2012.

1. VCViking

VCViking Go ye into all the world, and preach the Gospel...

+158
    Calvinist
    Married
    Where in the Bible does it say Christians have to vote? Are there any verses where it says we have to, must or should vote?

Just to point out, I am voting but I here some Christians say they are not going to vote and others say as a Christian, you have to vote. So I am looking to find the bible verses that support either concept. Thanks.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. MrJim

MrJim Legend 3/17/05

+1,274
    Christian
    Married
    It's a personal conscience issue; I don't vote but am not bothered by those that do. My personal reasons have more to do with trust in God's sovereignty and verses that point towards that end but others can build as reasonable case for voting.

3. Rhamiel

Rhamiel Member of the Round Table

+8,782
    Catholic
    Single
    every book of the bible was written in a kingdom or empire
    the books of Moses were written at a time that was more of a tribal nature with elders of the differant tribes acting as leaders
    then was the time of Judges
    then the Kingdom of Israel, then the split between the kingdoms of Israel and Judah
    then Israel was taken over by other nations which were also kingdoms

at the time of Christ, the Romans controlled the entire region

so at no time was democracy really part of the lives of people in the Bible

4. VCViking

+158
    Calvinist
    Married

Yes, I know...hence the reason I asked the question.

5. savedfromdistruction

savedfromdistruction Regular Member

+40
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Col. 3:17
    And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, [do] all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.

We are told to do all we do in the name of the Lord so if we do not vote we need to be sure we are doing so because this is His will and we are not voting in His name. If we do vote we also need to be sure this is His will and done in the name of the Lord.

6. 98cwitr

98cwitr Lord forgive me Staff Member Red Team - Moderator Supporter

+1,623
    Baptist
    Married
    I don't vote...I don't want to be anywhere near politics. What will be will be. God is Sovereign.

7. dogs4thewin

dogs4thewin dog lover Supporter CF Ambassadors

+3,835
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    I vote because you have NO right to complain about the shape of the country if you CAN vote and choose NOT to do so.

8. savedfromdistruction

savedfromdistruction Regular Member

+40
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Then you need to stop praying as what will be will be.God is Sovereign

9. MrJim

MrJim Legend 3/17/05

+1,274
    Christian
    Married
    Personally I pray to be conformed to God's will rather than for personal ideals. Do not confuse this with fatalism. While I believe God orders the universe I still look both ways before crossing the street ;)

Also see Psalm 75 and Daniel 2.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
  10. VCViking

+158
    Calvinist
    Married

Can you back this up with Scripture?

11. Boidae

Boidae Senior Veteran

+363
    United States
    Lutheran
    Divorced
    US-Others
    I do not vote, but I do hold a Voter's card and listed as no party affiliation.

When we went to church this morning, there was a paper that had listed who the church would like you to vote for. They are looking at Romney for President.

I don't see any good candidates, so I am not voting again this year.

12. VCViking

+158
    Calvinist
    Married

Rhamiel, I owe you an apology. I took your post the wrong way and responded with discord. I am sorry. :sorry:

13. OzSpen

OzSpen Regular Member

+620
    Australia
    Baptist
    Private
    You are speaking as an American. The world is bigger than the USA.

Here in Australia, voting at local, State and Federal elections is compulsory, by legislation of the government. Therefore, to be an obedient Christian, I am to follow the teaching of Romans 13:1-7,
    If I do not vote, I am fined. If I do not like any of the candidates, I have to vote, but nobody is to know if I give an informal vote. I know of some folks Down Under who on rare occasions (because they don't approve of any of the candidates) scribble across the ballot.

Sincerely, Oz

14. Rhamiel

Rhamiel Member of the Round Table

+8,782
    Catholic
    Single
    no problem man

15. 98cwitr

98cwitr Lord forgive me Staff Member Red Team - Moderator Supporter

+1,623
    Baptist
    Married
    Why? What do you assume I pray for?

16. cow451

cow451 The Most Interesting Poster in the Forum Supporter

+12,911
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Others
    I would vote with my feet.... and find another church.

17. MrJim

MrJim Legend 3/17/05

+1,274
    Christian
    Married
    I heard forced voting was done in dictator-run
    3d world countries but not there in Australia..I still wouldn't even if I was there..guess I would simply pay the fine and move on..know the difference between submission and obedience-only God gets utter obedience; the state gets submission and that may include consequences (fines, jail, torture, and even death).

18. Boidae

Boidae Senior Veteran

+363
    United States
    Lutheran
    Divorced
    US-Others

Why? Because they said who they support and who they would like us to vote for?

We aren't required to vote for who they're supporting, we're free to vote for whomever or not at all.

19. OzSpen

OzSpen Regular Member

+620
    Australia
    Baptist
    Private
    I live in a thorough-going democracy. It is not forced voting as in a dictatorship. It is government legislated compulsory voting. If enough of us don't like that perspective, we vote that government out at the next election.

Do you know what? I'm forced to get a driver's licence to be able to drive on the roads, by government legislation. Do you think that I should refuse to follow this law from my "dictator-run", democratic government?

Oz

20. MrJim

MrJim Legend 3/17/05

+1,274
    Christian
    Married
    It only becomes a matter of conscience when one believes it violates a mandate of Scripture, or church teaching. Since people/churches interpret Scripture differently folks are going to come to different conclusions on such matters.

Note I did not refer to the Australian gov't as "dictator-run", only that compulsory voting in my limited experience was only known in 3d world dictatorship nations, particularly Africa and the Middle East.