• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Von Soden on John 8:1-11 (German/English)

Discussion in 'Exposition & Bible Study' started by Nazaroo, Dec 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nazaroo

Nazaroo Joseph is still alive! (Gen 45.26)

+64
    Christian
    There doesn't seem to be a decent translation of Von Soden's work from the German into English, so I am going to try to take on the task myself here.

Von Soden's work is critically important in assessing and understanding the evidence concerning John 7:53-8:11, because he was the only textual critic who could and did hand-collate the thousands of manuscripts available that are extant for this passage. From this massive project, which he took on in order to accurately reproduce the gospel of John for his critical edition of the New Testament, he reconstructed a very detailed genealogical tree for the manuscripts,which allowed him to evaluate the variants using a very fine and subtle scale.

No one has duplicated this feat since. Early on, John Burgon, Dean of Chichester had hand collated several thousand manuscripts and fragments, and later Scrivener, who produced a fantastic and detailed two-volume Introduction to the New Testament describing the major manuscript evidence. This was to be followed by another careful researcher, Colwell, on a more modest scale.

But only Von Soden really knew the manuscript evidence concerning John so intimately. Textual critics studying the Byzantine text-type rely heavily upon Von Soden's work, and in spite of minor complaints about it being out of date, even those publishing modern critical editions,like the Hodges-Farstadd text, find his exhaustive collations essential.

Of course, being able to read Von Soden in English would make his work available to a wide audience. The basic problem is that it is not just 'German' but a very technical German in a specialized field, and so requires special care and expert knowledge to properly translate.

I am offering a preliminary translation here, without claiming it to be definitive. Just to open up Von Soden's work to English researchers.

Update: Just to avoid any more questions of translation quality or 'bending', I am starting a separate thread here in which both the German and English (preliminary base translation) can be presented side by side. This will allow others to inspect and add critical notes to the translation here.

Anyone whose native language is German and is fluent in English should feel free to comment upon and improve the translation. Remember that this is 'older' German, loaded with key technical words that have special meanings in the context of the textual criticism of the New Testament. The vocabulary and experience of the translator is important, and translation and interpretation is not automatic.

Von Soden (translated from the German by Nazaroo);

The Textual History of the Percope de Adultera (John 7:53-8:11)

Section 49.
    For Orientation: The majority of the mss that contain John exhibit after 7:52 a pericope which interrupts the connection of 7:52 with 8:12, having Jesus' judgment over an accused adulterer as the subject. I name it "Adultery"(in Greek) and designate it with the Siglum "M"(Gk mu). This pericope is of great importance for the textual criticism of the gospel. For the text form it appears in, the measure of acknowledgement in which it becomes a part, is very often a recognition sign for the affiliation of the Codex concerned to a family, a type, a version. Not always, since, as will be it shown, it was at no part neutral. The text is frequently corrected by subsequent readers in all ages, and this evaluation varies much in the course of time, although sometimes individually is clear. But yet usually. Regarding the changing fate of the Pericope as such, its appearance in types and versions will have to be shown. Here, where it only concerns the changing wording of the form, some provisionary orienting words are sufficient.

In a significant number of mss among the oldest which we possess, the pericope is missing completely. In other mss it is sometimes of the hand of the writers, sometimes of a later hand, sometimes at the margin by 7:52, sometimes joined at the end of John's gospel, and in one group of texts inserted even in Luke after 21:38. Frequently it is accompanied by a text-critical remark, whose different style becomes likewise its date. But in the vast majority of the mss however it stands between 7:53 and 8:12 in the text, except half of those are provided with critical marks in in the margin at least. These marks sometimes start themselves on 8:3-11.

Occasionally or in reverse only 7:53-8:2 are missing or 8:3-11. This therefore suggests that in later times the narration was inserted from a Lectionary. The Lection however began only at 8:3. So if a scribe restoring the pericope in a mss should correct with the Lectionary, either by memory or by the Lectionary itself, he would only begin with the insertion at 8:3. Turned around, for the same reason if it should be erased using the Lectionary, in the copy only the lection portion will be removed, so that 7:53-8:2 remained standing. When a manuscript then containing 7:53-8:2 was corrected by a copy containing mss "moix" again, then the beginning of 8:12 will often be found before 3, that is at "legon ego emi"

The text of this homeless pericope, now picked up, now dropped again in the swing of mood, has experienced a measure of variants like no other part of the NT. And this isn't just with every new text revision. But also in individual mss as noted above, particulars have been taken from circulating revisions as versions were brought together over and over again. Dispelling the confusion nowhere seems as hopeless as with this 'vagrant', evolving through all the conceivable phases thought possible to repair a witness by addition or ommision. The fact we've still succeeded in illuminating her original form again and her colorful, confused past, holds up a promise: that she herself will also allow us to pursue the history of the text of the whole written collection around which she is merely fluttering like a scarf, to approach her origin.

For all the neutral texts, existing transcripts of the pericope were collated exactly. There was very close to a thousand. At first the picture became ever more nebulous. But bit by bit lines met, and, and by pursuing them, certain forms stood apart. Among those marking themselves most sharply were two forms of the pericope which strove for supremacy primarily in the Middle Ages, also soon mingling with one another, then displacing each other. Against them the other types then stood out ever more clearly.

(end of section 49, pg 486-487)

There are about 35 pages to Von Soden's analysis, so I'll be posting section by section, periodically as I have time to translate and post.

peace.

2. justified

justified Well-Known Member

+24
    Protestant
    Can you cite the work you are taking the analysis from?

3. Nazaroo

+64
    Christian
    [edited to save .jpg space - Nazaroo]...

4. Nazaroo

+64
    Christian
    von Soden's Die Schriften des Neuen Testaments (1913)

vol. 1: Untersuchungen, parts 1-3
    Imprint: Göttingen : Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht, 1911

TABLE OF CONTENTS

Title Page -- [size=-1]p. i[/size] I. Abteilung: Die Textzeugen [vol. 1, pt. 1] -- [size=-1]p. i[/size] Die bisherige Arbeit und das neue Unternehmen -- [size=-1]p. 1[/size] A. Übersicht über das vonhandene Zeugenmaterial -- [size=-1]p. 23[/size] 1. Die in den Listen von Scrivener und Gregory erscheinenden Codices oder Nummern (Liste I) -- [size=-1]p. 23[/size] 2. Die Bezeichnung der Codices -- [size=-1]p. 33[/size] 3. Liste der Codd nach den Bibliotheken (Liste II) -- [size=-1]p. 40[/size] 4. Parallelliste der früher gebrauchten und der von mir verwendeten Sigla (Liste III) -- [size=-1]p. 81[/size] B. Gruppierung des Gesamtbestandes an neutest. Codd nach Inhalt und Alter (Liste IV) -- [size=-1]p. 94[/size] C. Die in den neutest. Handschriften vorkommenden textlichen Beigaben zu dem Wortlaut der neutest. Schriften -- [size=-1]p. 293[/size] I. Inskriptionen und Subskriptionen -- [size=-1]p. 294[/size] II. Über die Schriften orientierende Aufsätze -- [size=-1]p. 300[/size] III. Aufsätze über einzelne Materien -- [size=-1]p. 361[/size] IV. Verse -- [size=-1]p. 377[/size] D. Einteilungen des Textes der Schriften des NTs -- [size=-1]p. 388[/size] A. Die Evangelien -- [size=-1]p. 388[/size] B. Die Akten -- [size=-1]p. 440[/size] C. Die katholischen Briefe -- [size=-1]p. 456[/size] D. Die Paulusbriefe -- [size=-1]p. 461[/size] E. Die Apokalypse -- [size=-1]p. 472[/size] Die heute übliche Einteilung in Kapitel und Verse -- [size=-1]p. 475[/size]

F. Die gelehrten Bearbeitungen der neutest. Schriften -- [size=-1]p. 525[/size] I. Übersicht -- [size=-1]p. 525[/size] II. Die Kommentarwerke zu den Evangelien -- [size=-1]...[/size]
    etc.

You can access the site using my personal password:

("any" "any")

I have included a fascimile of the first page so you can verify the accuracy of my hand-transcription:

5. Nazaroo

+64
    Christian
    For those who may have trouble finding or accessing this information,
    I am providing here a couple of pictures of the relevant section of Von Soden's Massive Greek New Testament with critical Apparatus.

The notes unfortunately, are a mixture of manuscript numbers and his own extensive genealogical reconstructions, so that the sigla cannot be fully appreciated without reading his 2000 page Introduction on the manuscripts.

Edit: Since researchers will want to know how von Soden classified the major extant mss, and what exemplars were included in his text-groupings and sigla, I have uploaded the key pages from his introduction (vol1) which might otherwise be difficult to locate. Some translation or explanation may be required, but of course much of the text here is simply lists.

50. The forms dominating the Middle Ages: M5 and M6.

Our cataloging and penetrating investigation begins from these two sharply outlined forms which I have just indicated. Therefore they must be brought out first. All others, found in other texts, isolated witnesses of these forms to penetrated versions not to talk, besides, from the scribe's variations, remain provisionally out of consideration, so that they do not blur the streams. I give the M5 form, as a sequential text and give the variants for the M6 form in brackets. Also, the Siglum "om" if it stands only in brackets, refers only to the last word, "~" signifies a word-order variant. During the rest of the investigation I will quote only an average count of those that have the form in John, as it is here assigned.

(I have spent an hour typing in the Greek text, using the Windows Symbol Font: Instead of 'om' or 'add' as in the text, I have just used a minus '-' sign or '+' sign The '~' character was part of the accent system in the Greek font, but that approach failed for posting purposes, so I had to convert the text back to a form suitable for the Symbol font. For those interested in a fuller Greek text with accenting, I have created a file usable with Word 97. Von Soden saved some space combining the texts as shown, but a more usable form would be two parallel columns. I will create that if people want it.)

6. Nazaroo

+64
    Christian
    For those who would like to read a detailed and balanced introduction to Von Soden's work in English, you can find one in the introduction of this book:

The Greek New Testament According to the Majority Text 2nd ed. Z.C.Hodges A.L. Farstad .

In particular, xxii-xxxii of the introduction, "The Apparatus for John 7:53-8:11".

Also of value for our topic is:

The Woman Taken in Adultery (John 7:53-8:11): The Text by Zane C. Hodges in
    Bibliotheca Sacra - October/December 1979 pg 318f.

Hodges points out the irony, if not absurdity of the modern text-critical position:

However, in light of other evidence, it will turn out to be less unique than it appears.

Another suspicion also raises its head: Just how much do these textual critics really believe in the inspiration and authenticity of John 8:1-11? How much of their 'friendly talk' is just the kindly condescending patter of a 'doctor' distracting his patient while he anesthetizes him for the 'operation'...in this case the removal of one kidney.

7. Nazaroo

+64
    Christian
    Here is a link to a webpage which cross-references all the various manuscripts, which are referred to by number. These number systems are used by various textual critics in there books and articles, and are periodically updated, corrected, and expanded to cover new finds. Because older authors often collated and catalogued the manuscripts themselves by hand, and operated in different languages/countries, there are some differences, some confusion,and some mistakes as to readings between manuscripts.

This page can be downloaded and saved as a file:

Manuscript cross-reference Chart

8. justified

justified Well-Known Member

+24
    Protestant
    I wasn't questioning your german transcription (honestly, it was idiosyncratic enough that I figured it was you). I just wanted to know the name of the book. silly man.

9. Nazaroo

+64
    Christian
    English:

10. Nazaroo

+64
    Christian
    As usual, your timely critical notes spur me on to improve my work,
    rather than take the lazy route! :D :thumbsup:

For English speakers unaccustomed to Greek (which looks like Greek to most people) I posted these hopefully helpful notes so that anyone can follow along with the variations and see what is at stake. I am quoting the work of Marlow (He has collated the critical editions for the whole NT in English):

11. Nazaroo

+64
    Christian
    Here I have separated out Von Soden's two main versions of the pericope, M5 and M6, so that it can easily be seen that one is simply a paraphrase of the other (M6 is apparently a paraphrase of M5):

12. Nazaroo

+64
    Christian
    *edited out to save .jpg space* - nazaroo

13. Nazaroo

+64
    Christian
    *deleted to save .jpg space*

14. Nazaroo

+64
    Christian
    [font=Arial, Helvetica]In 37 places, "M5" differs accordingly with "M6". Both forms contrast very sharply with each other. The variants are secured by overwhelming majority for both text-types. But in six exceptional places, the types run so strongly through one another that one could waver in choosing. Four times it concerns an addition in "M5", and one omission, and in one case a word order reversal. Most unsure is whether "M6" really omits "pros auton" in verse 3. In 216 mss, the witnesses are certain in the essential matter of the "M6"-form, even if naturally many will show here and there an "M5"-reading, with only 106 omitting "pros auton". Nevertheless it was "M6" that slipped. As for this omission in nearly the half of the "M6"-testimony, as it is without analogy, every explanation fails. Because however for "M5 "pros auton" is entirely fixed and for the light penetration of "M5"-readings into the "M6"-texts countless instances exist, it only remains to explain with reasonable plausibility, why exactly here "M5" had so incredibly strong an effect.

[/font]

15. Nazaroo

+64
    Christian
    Yet, however, it need not always be an effect of "M5". For the Lectionary version found "pros auton" indispensable, because it only begins only at verse 3. Thus it already nested itself here firmly for this reason. Also "pros auton" from verse 2 can have jumped over here. Similarly it stands with three additional changes. Among 216 representatives of "M6", 99 have in verse 9 "kai hupo tes suneideseos elegxomenoi", 94 have in verse 6 " mh prospoioumenoi", and for 74 "ekeinoi" is included in verse 10.

The viewpoint first mentioned just now was vital everywhere: the frequent insertion from "M5", much more frequent still than the omission without similar motive is understandably lighter. Both these last being considered readings from "M5", omission from "peri auths (v5)" and the word order "monos o Insous (v9)" occur respectively in 82, and 86 "M6-mss". That they are still not to be accepted as "M6", the following observation will prove....

16. Nazaroo

+64
    Christian
    One might suppose since these strong minorities are driven back in favour of the "M5 version" at 6 places on a very wide sample of the "M6 text", that at those places the "M5 version" is intruding. But this is unconfirmed, as far as it can be shown from the "M" text alone, since the witnesses align themselves up differently in the various places.

Of 30 Codd which offer otherwise the "M6 form" without variations, only 132, 1192, 1285, & 494 have in both verse 3 and 9 the "M5 version": Against this another 14 have in verse 3 "pros auton". Of that 4, the last three also add "ekeinoi (v10)" from "M5", and from the 14, only 7 manuscripts add this.

Also the group 1276, 2054, 363, 1428, 629, has the following additions: "prospoioumenos (v6)" and " quay elegx (v9) ", with none of the other four having possible readings of "M5".

Another "M6" group of mss formed by common deviations to "M5" are the mss. 134,2040 = 2068,2042,1264,378,1300,1306 1326.

...(pg 489 last paragraph).

17. Nazaroo

+64
    Christian
    Over a hundred people have viewed this thread.

Are there any native German speakers here who would like to help in the translation into English?

Please drop a note here or PM me if you can help!

18. filosofer

filosofer Senior Veteran

+287
    Lutheran

Have just begun reading this thread, but don't have the time right now for in depth work. Thanks for the effort.

BTW I have read some of Bob Walz's material over the past several years.

In Christ's love,
    filo

19. Nazaroo

+64
    Christian
    Awesome!
    Thanks for the encouragement!

I assumed people were reading it, but I can't believe there is no one out there who speaks German.

Perhaps someone with more time will help fix up the translation. I would really like to complete it and edit it properly.

Peace!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.