Von Soden on John 8:1-11 (German/English)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nazaroo

Joseph is still alive! (Gen 45.26)
Dec 5, 2005
clinging to Jesus sandalstrap
✟10,730.00
Faith
Christian
There doesn't seem to be a decent translation of Von Soden's work from the German into English, so I am going to try to take on the task myself here.

Von Soden's work is critically important in assessing and understanding the evidence concerning John 7:53-8:11, because he was the only textual critic who could and did hand-collate the thousands of manuscripts available that are extant for this passage. From this massive project, which he took on in order to accurately reproduce the gospel of John for his critical edition of the New Testament, he reconstructed a very detailed genealogical tree for the manuscripts,which allowed him to evaluate the variants using a very fine and subtle scale.

No one has duplicated this feat since. Early on, John Burgon, Dean of Chichester had hand collated several thousand manuscripts and fragments, and later Scrivener, who produced a fantastic and detailed two-volume Introduction to the New Testament describing the major manuscript evidence. This was to be followed by another careful researcher, Colwell, on a more modest scale.

But only Von Soden really knew the manuscript evidence concerning John so intimately. Textual critics studying the Byzantine text-type rely heavily upon Von Soden's work, and in spite of minor complaints about it being out of date, even those publishing modern critical editions,like the Hodges-Farstadd text, find his exhaustive collations essential.

Of course, being able to read Von Soden in English would make his work available to a wide audience. The basic problem is that it is not just 'German' but a very technical German in a specialized field, and so requires special care and expert knowledge to properly translate.

I am offering a preliminary translation here, without claiming it to be definitive. Just to open up Von Soden's work to English researchers.

Update: Just to avoid any more questions of translation quality or 'bending', I am starting a separate thread here in which both the German and English (preliminary base translation) can be presented side by side. This will allow others to inspect and add critical notes to the translation here.

Anyone whose native language is German and is fluent in English should feel free to comment upon and improve the translation. Remember that this is 'older' German, loaded with key technical words that have special meanings in the context of the textual criticism of the New Testament. The vocabulary and experience of the translator is important, and translation and interpretation is not automatic.

Die Textgeschichte der Perikope von der Ehebrecherin
(Jo 7:53-8:11) 49. Zur Orientierung.

Die Mehrzahl der Codd, die das Jo-Ev enthalten, weisen nach Jo 7:52 eine Perikope auf, die den Zusammenhang von 7:52 mit 8:12 unterbrechend, Jesu Urteil uber eine ihm vorgefuhrte Ehebrecherin zum Gegenstand hat. Ich nenne sie "moixalis" und bezeichne sie mit dem Siglum "M". Dies Perikope ist fur die Textkritik der Evv von hohem Wert. Denn die Textform, in der sie erscheint, das Mass von Wurdgigung, das ihr zu Teil wird, ist sehr oft ein Erkennungszeichen fur die Zugehorigkeit des betreffenden Codex zu einer Familie, einem Typ, einer Rezension. Nicht immer, da, wie sich zeigen wird, an keinem Teil des neut. Textes so viel zu allen Zeiten und von jedem Leser herumkorrigiert worden ist, und da die Beurteilung derselben im Lauf der Zeiten sehr schwankend, manchmal individuell bestimmt war. Aber doch meist. Uber das wechseinde Schicksal der Perikope als solcher wird seiner Zeit im von Typen und Rezensionen zu handeln sein. Hier, wo es sich nur um den wechselnden Wortlaut des Stucks handelt, genugen einige vorlaufig orientierende Worte.
Von Soden (translated from the German by Nazaroo);

The Textual History of the Percope de Adultera (John 7:53-8:11)

Section 49.
For Orientation: The majority of the mss that contain John exhibit after 7:52 a pericope which interrupts the connection of 7:52 with 8:12, having Jesus' judgment over an accused adulterer as the subject. I name it "Adultery"(in Greek) and designate it with the Siglum "M"(Gk mu). This pericope is of great importance for the textual criticism of the gospel. For the text form it appears in, the measure of acknowledgement in which it becomes a part, is very often a recognition sign for the affiliation of the Codex concerned to a family, a type, a version. Not always, since, as will be it shown, it was at no part neutral. The text is frequently corrected by subsequent readers in all ages, and this evaluation varies much in the course of time, although sometimes individually is clear. But yet usually. Regarding the changing fate of the Pericope as such, its appearance in types and versions will have to be shown. Here, where it only concerns the changing wording of the form, some provisionary orienting words are sufficient.

In einer nicht geringen Anzahl von Codd, darunter den altesten, die wir besitzen, fehlt die "moix " vollig. In anderen Codd is sie bald von der Hand des Shreibers, bald von spaterer Hand, bald am Rande bei 7:52, bald am Ende des Ev Jo beigefugt,in einer Gruppe von Texten sogar im Lk-Ev nach 21:38 eingeschoben. Haufig wird sie von einer textkritischen Bemerkung begleitet, deren verschiedenartige Fassung uns ebenfalls seiner Zeit beschaftigen wird. Bei der grossen Mehrheit der Codd aber steht sie zwischen 7:53 und 8:12 im Text, nur dass sie mindestens in der Halfte derselben am Rand mit Tilgungszeichen versehen ist. Nicht selten beschranken diese sich auf 8:3-11. Zuweilen fehlt nur 8:3-11 oder umgekehrt nur 7:53-8:2.

In a significant number of mss among the oldest which we possess, the pericope is missing completely. In other mss it is sometimes of the hand of the writers, sometimes of a later hand, sometimes at the margin by 7:52, sometimes joined at the end of John's gospel, and in one group of texts inserted even in Luke after 21:38. Frequently it is accompanied by a text-critical remark, whose different style becomes likewise its date. But in the vast majority of the mss however it stands between 7:53 and 8:12 in the text, except half of those are provided with critical marks in in the margin at least. These marks sometimes start themselves on 8:3-11.

Dies ruhrt daher, dass in spaterer Zeit die Erzahlung als Lektion in Aufnahme kam. Die Lektion aber begann erst mit 8:3, ein Schreiber, wenn die "moix" in einem Codex entgegen der Vorlage eingestellt werden sollte,durch die Erinnerung an die Lektion oder durch die Vorlage eines Lektionars veranlasst werden, mit der Einfugung erst bei 8:3 zu beginnen, umgekehrt, wenn sie entgegen der Vorlage getilgt werden sollte, aus denselben Ursachen in der Abschrift nur den Lektionstext fortlassen, so dass 7:53-8:12 stehen blieb. Wurde dann bei der Abschrift eines 7:53-8:2 enthaltenden mss die "moix" wieder eingestellt, so findet sich nicht selten vor 3 "legon ego emi", d. H. Der Anfang von 8:12.

Occasionally or in reverse only 7:53-8:2 are missing or 8:3-11. This therefore suggests that in later times the narration was inserted from a Lectionary. The Lection however began only at 8:3. So if a scribe restoring the pericope in a mss should correct with the Lectionary, either by memory or by the Lectionary itself, he would only begin with the insertion at 8:3. Turned around, for the same reason if it should be erased using the Lectionary, in the copy only the lection portion will be removed, so that 7:53-8:2 remained standing. When a manuscript then containing 7:53-8:2 was corrected by a copy containing mss "moix" again, then the beginning of 8:12 will often be found before 3, that is at "legon ego emi"

Der Text dieser heimatlosen, im Wechsel der Stimmungen bald aufgenommenen, bald wieder verstossenen Perikope hat in einem Masse Varianten erlebt, wie kein anderer Abschnitt des NT's, und dies nicht nur bei jeder neuen Textrezension. Sondern, wie vorhin erwahnt, auch in den einzelnen mss sind dann die verschiedenen durch jene Rezensionen in Umlauf gebrachten Lesarten immer wieder untereinander ausgetauscht worden. Nirgends scheint die Losung des Wirrsals so aussichtslos wie bei dieser durch alle denkbaren Phasen gegangenen Vagantin, der jeder Berufene und Unberufene etwas am Zeuge flicken zu durfen glaubte. Dass es dennoch gelungen ist, ihre bunten Schicksale aufzuhellen und ihre Urgestalt wieder herauszuwirren, giebt ein Unterpfand, dass auch die Geschichte des Gesamttextes der Schriftensammlung, um die sie nur herumgeflattert ist wie ein loses Blatt, sich verfolgen lassen werde bis nahe an ihren Ursprung.
The text of this homeless pericope, now picked up, now dropped again in the swing of mood, has experienced a measure of variants like no other part of the NT. And this isn't just with every new text revision. But also in individual mss as noted above, particulars have been taken from circulating revisions as versions were brought together over and over again. Dispelling the confusion nowhere seems as hopeless as with this 'vagrant', evolving through all the conceivable phases thought possible to repair a witness by addition or ommision. The fact we've still succeeded in illuminating her original form again and her colorful, confused past, holds up a promise: that she herself will also allow us to pursue the history of the text of the whole written collection around which she is merely fluttering like a scarf, to approach her origin.

Samtliche in neut. Texten vorhandenen Niederschriften der "moix" sind genau kollationiert worden. Es sind deren nahe an Tausend. Suerst wurde das Bild immer verworrener. Aber allmahlich fanden sich Linien zusammen, und, indem man sie verfolgte, losten sich vershiedene Umrisse auseinander. Die am scharfsten sich markirten, die gehorten den zwei Gestalten der "moix" an, die sich in erster Linie im Mittelalter um ide Vormacht stritten, dabei bald sich in einander mengten, bald einander verdrangten. Von ihnen hoben sich dann immer deutlicher die andern Typen ab.

For all the neutral texts, existing transcripts of the pericope were collated exactly. There was very close to a thousand. At first the picture became ever more nebulous. But bit by bit lines met, and, and by pursuing them, certain forms stood apart. Among those marking themselves most sharply were two forms of the pericope which strove for supremacy primarily in the Middle Ages, also soon mingling with one another, then displacing each other. Against them the other types then stood out ever more clearly.

(end of section 49, pg 486-487)

There are about 35 pages to Von Soden's analysis, so I'll be posting section by section, periodically as I have time to translate and post.

peace.

Nazaroo

Dec 5, 2005
✟10,730.00
Faith
Christian
von Soden's Die Schriften des Neuen Testaments (1913)

vol. 1: Untersuchungen, parts 1-3
Imprint: Göttingen : Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht, 1911

TABLE OF CONTENTS

Title Page -- [size=-1]p. i[/size] I. Abteilung: Die Textzeugen [vol. 1, pt. 1] -- [size=-1]p. i[/size] Die bisherige Arbeit und das neue Unternehmen -- [size=-1]p. 1[/size] A. Übersicht über das vonhandene Zeugenmaterial -- [size=-1]p. 23[/size] 1. Die in den Listen von Scrivener und Gregory erscheinenden Codices oder Nummern (Liste I) -- [size=-1]p. 23[/size] 2. Die Bezeichnung der Codices -- [size=-1]p. 33[/size] 3. Liste der Codd nach den Bibliotheken (Liste II) -- [size=-1]p. 40[/size] 4. Parallelliste der früher gebrauchten und der von mir verwendeten Sigla (Liste III) -- [size=-1]p. 81[/size] B. Gruppierung des Gesamtbestandes an neutest. Codd nach Inhalt und Alter (Liste IV) -- [size=-1]p. 94[/size] C. Die in den neutest. Handschriften vorkommenden textlichen Beigaben zu dem Wortlaut der neutest. Schriften -- [size=-1]p. 293[/size] I. Inskriptionen und Subskriptionen -- [size=-1]p. 294[/size] II. Über die Schriften orientierende Aufsätze -- [size=-1]p. 300[/size] III. Aufsätze über einzelne Materien -- [size=-1]p. 361[/size] IV. Verse -- [size=-1]p. 377[/size] D. Einteilungen des Textes der Schriften des NTs -- [size=-1]p. 388[/size] A. Die Evangelien -- [size=-1]p. 388[/size] B. Die Akten -- [size=-1]p. 440[/size] C. Die katholischen Briefe -- [size=-1]p. 456[/size] D. Die Paulusbriefe -- [size=-1]p. 461[/size] E. Die Apokalypse -- [size=-1]p. 472[/size] Die heute übliche Einteilung in Kapitel und Verse -- [size=-1]p. 475[/size]

F. Die gelehrten Bearbeitungen der neutest. Schriften -- [size=-1]p. 525[/size] I. Übersicht -- [size=-1]p. 525[/size] II. Die Kommentarwerke zu den Evangelien -- [size=-1]...[/size]
etc.

You can access the site using my personal password:

("any" "any")

I have included a fascimile of the first page so you can verify the accuracy of my hand-transcription:

Upvote 0

Nazaroo

Dec 5, 2005
✟10,730.00
Faith
Christian
For those who may have trouble finding or accessing this information,
I am providing here a couple of pictures of the relevant section of Von Soden's Massive Greek New Testament with critical Apparatus.

The notes unfortunately, are a mixture of manuscript numbers and his own extensive genealogical reconstructions, so that the sigla cannot be fully appreciated without reading his 2000 page Introduction on the manuscripts.

Edit: Since researchers will want to know how von Soden classified the major extant mss, and what exemplars were included in his text-groupings and sigla, I have uploaded the key pages from his introduction (vol1) which might otherwise be difficult to locate. Some translation or explanation may be required, but of course much of the text here is simply lists.

Die das Mittelalter beherrshenden Formen M5 und M6.

Undere Darstellung und vordringende Untersuchung muss von jenen zwei scharf umrissenen Formen ausgehen, die ich eben angedeutet habe. Diese mussen darum zunachst vorgefuhrt werden. Alle weiteren, in anderen Texten sich findenden, vereinzelt in Zeugen dieser Formen eingedrungenen Lesarten, nicht zu reden von den Schreibervarianten, bleiben dabei vorlaufig ausser Betracht, damit sie die Zuge nicht verwischen. Ich gebe die eine, die M5-Form, als fortlaufenden Text und fuge die Abweichungen der M6-Form in Klammern dazwischen. Dabei bezieht sich das Siglum "om", wenn es allein in Klammern steht, nur auf das letzte Wort, ~ bedeutet Wortstellung. Bei der ganzen weiteren Untersuchung zitiere ich nur mittelst der Verszahlen, die sas Stuck im John erhalten hat, so wie sie hier eingesetzt sind.

50. The forms dominating the Middle Ages: M5 and M6.

Our cataloging and penetrating investigation begins from these two sharply outlined forms which I have just indicated. Therefore they must be brought out first. All others, found in other texts, isolated witnesses of these forms to penetrated versions not to talk, besides, from the scribe's variations, remain provisionally out of consideration, so that they do not blur the streams. I give the M5 form, as a sequential text and give the variants for the M6 form in brackets. Also, the Siglum "om" if it stands only in brackets, refers only to the last word, "~" signifies a word-order variant. During the rest of the investigation I will quote only an average count of those that have the form in John, as it is here assigned.

(I have spent an hour typing in the Greek text, using the Windows Symbol Font: Instead of 'om' or 'add' as in the text, I have just used a minus '-' sign or '+' sign The '~' character was part of the accent system in the Greek font, but that approach failed for posting purposes, so I had to convert the text back to a form suitable for the Symbol font. For those interested in a fuller Greek text with accenting, I have created a file usable with Word 97. Von Soden saved some space combining the texts as shown, but a more usable form would be two parallel columns. I will create that if people want it.)

Von Soden's M5 and M6 Text (combined)
7:53
kai eporeuqh (aphqen) ekastoV eiV ton oikon autou
    1. IhsouV de (kai o IhsouV) eporeuqh eiV to OroV twn Elaiwn.
    2. orqrou de palin (+ baqewV) paregeneto (hlqen, + o IhsouV) eiV to ieron, kai paV o laoV hrceto (+ proV auton) kai kaqisaV edidasken autou.
    3. Agousin de oi grammateiV kai oi farisaioi proV auton (- proV auton) gunaika epi (en) moiceia katalhfqeisan (kateilhmmenhn). kai sthsanteV authn en (+ tw) mesw
    4. legousin (eipon) autw peirazonteV (-) didaskale authV h gunh (tauthn) katelhfqh (euromen) epautofwrw moiceuomenh (-ghn).
    5. en de tw nomw MwushV hmin (hmwn MwushV) eneteilato taV toiautaV liqoboleisqai (liqazein). Su oun ti legeiV (+ peri auth) ;
    6. touto de elegon peirazonteV auton, ina ecwsi kathgorei (kathgorian kat) autou. o de IhsouV katw kuyaV tw daktulw egrafen eiV thn ghn mh trospoioumenoV (- mh pr. ).
    7. WV de epemenon erwtwnteV (eperwtwnteV) auton anakuyaV (anableyaV) eipen proV autouV (autoiV I proV autouV): o anamarthtoV umwn prwtoV ep authn ton liqon baletw (-ton, ~ l.b. ep authn).
    8. kai palin katw kuyaV egrafen eiV thn ghn.
    9. oi de akousanteV kai upo thV suneidhsewV elegcomenoi (-kai...elgk.) exhrconto eiV kaq eiV arxamenoi apoV twn presbuterwn (+ ewV twn escatwn), kai kateleifqh monoV o IhsouV ( ~ o IV. m.) kai h gunhV en mesw ousa.
    10. anakuyaV de o IhsouV (+ eiden authn) kai mhdena qeasamenoV plhn thV gunaikoV (- mh...gun.) eipen authV (gunai), pou eisin ekeinoi (-) oi kathgoroi sou oudeiV se katekrinen;
    11. H de eipen oudeiV kurie. eipe de (+ authV) o IhsouV oude egw se krinw (katakrinw), poreuou kai (+ apo tou nun) mhketi amartane.

Upvote 0

Nazaroo

Dec 5, 2005
✟10,730.00
Faith
Christian
For those who would like to read a detailed and balanced introduction to Von Soden's work in English, you can find one in the introduction of this book:

The Greek New Testament According to the Majority Text 2nd ed. Z.C.Hodges A.L. Farstad .

In particular, xxii-xxxii of the introduction, "The Apparatus for John 7:53-8:11".

Also of value for our topic is:

The Woman Taken in Adultery (John 7:53-8:11): The Text by Zane C. Hodges in
Bibliotheca Sacra - October/December 1979 pg 318f.

Hodges points out the irony, if not absurdity of the modern text-critical position:

...Metzger in his Textual Commentary on the Greek NT (companion to the UBS text) [says] that "the evidence for the non-Johannine origin of the pericope is overwhelming." (pg 219).

...Yet this general agreement is also attended by a significant irony. For while rejecting the authenticity of the passage as an original part of the 4th gospel, many writers would equally accede to the observation of Hort that "the story itself has justly seemed to vouch for its own substantial truth..." Accordingly, Hoskyns called the passage "an authentic episode in the ministry of Jesus." and Morris goes so far as to say, "Throughout the history of the church it has been held that, whoever wrote it, this little story is authentic." Indeed Metzger, while reporting that the case against the passage being Johannine "appears to be conclusive," adds at once, "At the same time the account has all the earmarks of historical veracity."

The anomaly is impressive. On the one hand the passage is stigmatized as an unauthorized insertion in to the sacred text, while on the other hand it is frequently hailed as bearing the "stamp of truth." Of course, it is theoretically possible that a narrative which is substantially historical could indeed find its way into the text of a canonical Gospel and win widespread acceptance there, but if it did the case is totally without parallel in the rest of the New Testament. No other extended section, dealing with a non-canonical but 'true' event in the life of Jesus, has ever attained this kind of extensive canonical circulation. It could happen, but did it? Perhaps after all it might be easier to suggest that the narrative suffered deletion from some very early Greek exemplar of John's Gospel,was perpetuated by this exemplar'smany descendants, and that the excision has thus exercised much infuence on later copyist, translators, and commentators.

That this is in fact the best solution to the famous textual conundrum will be argued in what follows. Let it simply be observed here that - whether the passage is included or excluded from John's gospel - its textual history is in many respects unmistakably unique.

However, in light of other evidence, it will turn out to be less unique than it appears.

Another suspicion also raises its head: Just how much do these textual critics really believe in the inspiration and authenticity of John 8:1-11? How much of their 'friendly talk' is just the kindly condescending patter of a 'doctor' distracting his patient while he anesthetizes him for the 'operation'...in this case the removal of one kidney.

Upvote 0

Nazaroo

Dec 5, 2005
✟10,730.00
Faith
Christian
Here is a link to a webpage which cross-references all the various manuscripts, which are referred to by number. These number systems are used by various textual critics in there books and articles, and are periodically updated, corrected, and expanded to cover new finds. Because older authors often collated and catalogued the manuscripts themselves by hand, and operated in different languages/countries, there are some differences, some confusion,and some mistakes as to readings between manuscripts.

This page can be downloaded and saved as a file:

Manuscript cross-reference Chart

Upvote 0

Nazaroo

Dec 5, 2005
✟10,730.00
Faith
Christian
English:

Pericope De Adultera (John 7:53 - 8:11) English

7:53 And every man went unto his own house,
1 Jesus went unto the mount of Olives.
2 And early in the morning he came again into the temple, and all the people came unto him; and he sat down, and taught them.
3 And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto him a woman taken in adultery; and when they had set her in the midst,
4 They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act.
5 Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou?
6 This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not.
7 So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you,let him first cast a stone at her.
8 And again he stooped down, and wrote on the ground.
9 And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst.
10 When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman,where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee?
11 She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.
A complete collation of Greek readings adopted by Stephens, Beza, Elzevir, Griesbach, Lachmann, Tischendorf, Tregelles, Alford, Wordsworth, Westcott & Hort, Nestle-Aland, and Hodges & Farstad, compared with the text underlying the King James Version.

John 7:53. Omit "And every man went unto his own house" (the entire verse). Gm L T Tr Am WHmm NAmm
John 8:1. Omit "Jesus went unto the mount of Olives" (the entire verse). Gm L T Tr Am WHmm NAmm
John 8:1. Read "And" instead of "But" (unexpressed in KJV) at beginning of verse. HF
John 8:2. Omit "and all the people came unto him; and he sat down, and taught them". WHm
John 8:2. Omit "And early in the morning he came again into the temple, and all the people came unto him; and he sat down, and taught them" (the entire verse). Gm L T Tr Am WHmm NAmm
John 8:2. Add "very" before "early". HF
John 8:2. Add "Jesus" and render 'Jesus came'. HF
John 8:3. Omit "unto him" after "brought". WH NA
John 8:3. Read "sin" instead of "adultery". WHm
John 8:3. Omit "And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto him a woman taken in adultery; and when they had set her in the midst" (the entire verse). Gm L T Tr Am WHmm NAmm
John 8:4. Omit "They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act" (the entire verse). Gm L T Tr Am WHmm NAmm
John 8:4. Read "we found this [woman]" instead of "this woman was taken". HF
John 8:4. Read "adulterating herself" instead of "suffering adultery" (KJV 'in adultery'). HF
John 8:5. Read "in our law commanded" instead of "in the law commanded us". HF
John 8:5. Omit "us" after "commanded". WHm
John 8:5. Read "to stone such" instead of "that such should be stoned". W WH NA HF
John 8:5. Add "concerning her" after "sayest thou". W WHm HF
John 8:5. Omit "Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou?" (the entire verse). Gm L T Tr Am WHmm NAmm
John 8:6. Read "an accusation against him" instead of "to accuse him". HF
John 8:6. Omit "This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him". WHm
John 8:6. Add "as though he heard them not" at end of verse, and render without italics. C S1546 S1549
John 8:6. Omit "This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with [his] finger wrote on the ground, [as though he heard them not]" (the entire verse). Gm L T Tr Am WHmm NAmm
John 8:7. Omit "him" after "asking". WHm
John 8:7. Read "he looked up" instead of "he lifted up himself". HF
John 8:7. Omit "unto them" after "said". WHm
John 8:7. Omit "So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her" (the entire verse). Gm L T Tr Am WHmm NAmm
John 8:8. Add "with his finger" before "wrote". WHm
John 8:8. Omit "And again he stooped down, and wrote on the ground" (the entire verse). Gm L T Tr Am WHmm NAmm
John 8:9. Omit "being convicted by [their own] conscience" before "went out". WH NA HF
John 8:9. Omit "[even] unto the last" after "beginning at the eldest". WH NA
John 8:9. Omit "Jesus" and render 'he was left alone'. WHt NA
John 8:9. Read "the woman being" instead of "the woman standing". W WH NA HF
John 8:9. Omit "And they which heard [it], being convicted by [their own] conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, [even] unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst" (the entire verse). Gm L T Tr Am WHmm NAmm
John 8:10. Omit "and saw none but the woman" before "he said". WH NA
John 8:10. Read "he saw her and he said" instead of "and saw none but the woman, he said". HF
John 8:10. Omit "unto her" after "he said". HF
John 8:10. Omit "Woman" after "he said unto her". W
John 8:10. Read "he said unto the woman, Where" instead of "he said unto her, Woman, where". WHm
John 8:10. Omit "those" before "thine accusers". HF
John 8:10. Omit "those thine accusers" and render 'where are they?'. WH NA
John 8:10. Omit "When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee?" (the entire verse). Gm L T Tr Am WHmm NAmm
John 8:11. Omit "unto her" after "said". WH NA
John 8:11. Omit "and" before "sin no more". WH NAm
John 8:11. Add "from henceforth" before "sin no more". WH NA HF
John 8:11. Omit "She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more" (the entire verse). Gm L T Tr Am WHmm NAmm
------------------------------------------------------------------
The following table gives the abbreviations for the editions represented in each item of the collation. For detailed information on these editions see the articles in the Bibliography.

S Stephens 1550 (Estienne 1550)
E Elzevir 1624
G Griesbach 1805
L Lachmann 1842
T Tischendorf 1869
Tr Tregelles 1857
A Alford 1849 as revised in 1871
W Wordsworth 1856 as revised in 1870
WH Westcott & Hort 1881
NA Nestle-Aland 1979 (Aland et al. 1979)
HF Hodges & Farstad 1982 as corrected in 1985

The following pre-critical texts are always indicated, along with the critical editors, when they support the readings of the King James version against Estienne 1550:

Vul Clementine Vulgate, third edition (Clement 1592)
C Complutensian Polyglot (Stunica 1522)
Er Erasmus 1527
B Beza 1598
E Elzevir 1624

Translations:
Tyn Tyndale 1535
Gen Geneva Bible (1560)
Bish Bishops' Bible (1568)
KJV King James version (1611)
ERV English Revised Version (1881)
JND Darby Version (1890)
ASV American Standard Version (1901)
RSV Revised Standard Version (1946)
NASB New American Standard Bible (1963)

Other Signs:
m is subjoined to the abbreviation for a critical text or translation when the reading is given as a likely alternative either in the margin or by means of brackets in the text.
mm is subjoined to the abbreviations WH and NA when the reading is doubly bracketed in those texts, by which the editors indicate their opinion that the reading is extraneous, but of evident antiquity.

t is subjoined to the abbreviation for a critical text or translation when the reading is given in the text, while the reading of the King James version is given as a likely alternative either in the margin or by means of brackets in the text.

AV indicates the reading of the Greek text presumed to underlie the King James version (also known as the "Authorized Version").
AV1611 indicates the edition of 1611 when a distinction must be made between it and later editions. See Changes in the KJV, for further information.
AV1769 indicates the Oxford edition of 1769, followed by all modern reprints of the KJV.

N Collation in progress of Nestle 1927 as revised in 1941 (17th).

English Guide to NT

Upvote 0

Nazaroo

Dec 5, 2005
✟10,730.00
Faith
Christian
justified said:
I wasn't questioning your german transcription (honestly, it was idiosyncratic enough that I figured it was you). I just wanted to know the name of the book. silly man.

As usual, your timely critical notes spur me on to improve my work,
rather than take the lazy route! :D :thumbsup:

For English speakers unaccustomed to Greek (which looks like Greek to most people) I posted these hopefully helpful notes so that anyone can follow along with the variations and see what is at stake. I am quoting the work of Marlow (He has collated the critical editions for the whole NT in English):

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nazaroo

Dec 5, 2005
✟10,730.00
Faith
Christian
Here I have separated out Von Soden's two main versions of the pericope, M5 and M6, so that it can easily be seen that one is simply a paraphrase of the other (M6 is apparently a paraphrase of M5):

Von Soden's M5 text:
(word variants to M5 in bold, ommisions not marked)

53. kai eporeuqh ekastoV eiV ton oikon autou
  1. IhsouV de eporeuqh eiV to OroV twn Elaiwn.
  2. orqrou de palin paregeneto eiV to ieron, kai paV o laoV hrceto kai kaqisaV edidasken autou.
  3. Agousin de oi grammateiV kai oi farisaioi proV auton gunaika epi moiceia katalhfqeisan. kai sthsanteV authn en mesw
  4. legousin autw peirazonteV didaskale authV h gunh katelhfqh epautofwrw moiceuomenh.
  5. en de tw nomw MwushV hmin eneteilato taV toiautaV liqoboleisqai . Su oun ti legeiV ;
  6. touto de elegon peirazonteV auton, ina ecwsi kathgorein autou. o de IhsouV katw kuyaV tw daktulw egrafen eiV thn ghn mh trospoioumenoV.
  7. WV de epemenon erwtwnteV auton anakuyaV eipen proV autouV: o anamarthtoV umwn prwtoV ep authn ton liqon baletw.
  9. oi de akousanteV kai upo thV suneidhsewV elegcomenoi exhrconto eiV kaq eiV arxamenoi apoV twn presbuterwn, kai kateleifqh monoV o IhsouV kai h gunhV en mesw ousa.
  10. anakuyaV de o IhsouV kai mhdena qeasamenoV plhn thV gunaikoV eipen authV, pou eisin ekeinoi oi kathgoroi sou oudeiV se katekrinen;
  11. H de eipen oudeiV kurie. eipe de o IhsouV oude egw se krinw, poreuou kai mhketi amartane.

Von Soden's M6 Text:
(word variants to M5 in bold, ommisions not marked)

53. kai aphqen ekastoV eiV ton oikon autou
  1. kai o IhsouV eporeuqh eiV to OroV twn Elaiwn.
  2. orqrou de palin baqewV hlqen o IhsouV eiV to ieron, kai paV o laoV hrceto proV auton kai kaqisaV edidasken autou.
  3. Agousin de oi grammateiV kai oi farisaioi gunaika en moiceia kateilhmmenhn. kai sthsanteV authn en tw mesw
  4. eipon autw: didaskale authV h tauthn euromen epautofwrw moiceuomenh.
  5. en de tw nomw hmwn MwushV eneteilato taV toiautaV liqazein. Su oun ti legeiV peri auth;
  6. touto de elegon peirazonteV auton, ina ecwsi kathgorei (kathgorian kat) autou. o de IhsouV katw kuyaV tw daktulw egrafen eiV thn ghn.
  7. WV de epemenon eperwtwnteV auton anableyaV eipen (proV) autouV: o anamarthtoV umwn prwtoV liqon baletw ep authn.
  9. oi de akousanteV exhrconto eiV kaq eiV arxamenoi apoV twn presbuterwn ewV twn escatwn, kai kateleifqh o IhsouV monoV kai h gunhV en mesw ousa.
  10. anakuyaV de o IhsouV eiden authn kai eipen gunai, pou eisin oi kathgoroi sou oudeiV se katekrinen;
  11. H de eipen oudeiV kurie. eipe de authV o IhsouV oude egw se katakrinw, poreuou kai apo tou nun mhketi amartane.

Upvote 0

Nazaroo

Dec 5, 2005
✟10,730.00
Faith
Christian
An 37 Stellen differieren demnach "M5" und "M6". Ihre beiden Formen heben sich ganz scharf von einander ab. Die Varianten sind durch uberwaltigende Majoritaten fur beide Typen gesichert. Nur an sechs Stellen sind die Typen so stark durch einander geraten, dass man in der Entscheidung schwanken konnte. Viermal handelt es sich dabei um eine Addition bei "M5", einmal um eine Omission, einmal um eine Wortstellung. Am unsichersten ist, ob "M6" wirklich "pros auton" 3 omittiert. Von 216 mss, die in der Hauptsache sichere Zeugen der "M6"-Form sind, wenn auch naturlich manche derselben bald an der einen, bald an der anderen Stelle "M5"-Lesarten aufweisen, haben nur 106 "pros auton" nicht. Dennoch war es fur "M6" zu steichen. Denn die ubereinstimmende Omission in beinahe der Halfte der "M6"-Zeugen, wie sie jeder Analogie entbehrt, entzieht sich jeder Erklarung. Da aber fur "M5" "pros Auton" ganz gesichert ist und fur das leichte Eindringen von "M5"-Lesarten in "M6"-Texte unzahlige Belege existieren, so bleibt bei der emfohlenen Annahme nur zu erklaren, warm gerade hier "M5" so einzigartig stark einwirkte.

[font=Arial, Helvetica]In 37 places, "M5" differs accordingly with "M6". Both forms contrast very sharply with each other. The variants are secured by overwhelming majority for both text-types. But in six exceptional places, the types run so strongly through one another that one could waver in choosing. Four times it concerns an addition in "M5", and one omission, and in one case a word order reversal. Most unsure is whether "M6" really omits "pros auton" in verse 3. In 216 mss, the witnesses are certain in the essential matter of the "M6"-form, even if naturally many will show here and there an "M5"-reading, with only 106 omitting "pros auton". Nevertheless it was "M6" that slipped. As for this omission in nearly the half of the "M6"-testimony, as it is without analogy, every explanation fails. Because however for "M5 "pros auton" is entirely fixed and for the light penetration of "M5"-readings into the "M6"-texts countless instances exist, it only remains to explain with reasonable plausibility, why exactly here "M5" had so incredibly strong an effect.

[/font]

Upvote 0

Nazaroo

Dec 5, 2005
✟10,730.00
Faith
Christian
Nun muss es aber gar nicht jedesmal eine Einwirkung von "M5" sein. Für die Lektionsperikope war, da sie erst mit 'v3' beginnt, "pros auton" unentbehrlich. So nistete es sich schon aus diesem Grunde hier fest. Ebenso kann das "pros auton" aus 'v2' herüber gesprungen sein. Ähnlich steht es mit den drei ändern Additionen. Unter 216 Vertretern von "M6" ist diejenige in "v9 kai hupo tes suneideseos elegxomenoi" von 99, die in "v6 mh prospoioumenoi" von 94, die in "v10 ekeinoi" von 74 aufgenommen.

Überall war der vorhin an erster Stelle erwähnte Gesichtspunkt entscheidend: leichter ist die häufige Aufnahme aus "M5", als die noch viel häufigere Auslassung ohne ein ähnliches Motiv begreiflich. Die beiden letzten in Betracht kommenden Lesarten aus "M5", die omission von "peri auths v5" und die Wortstellung "monos o Insous v9" machen dort 82, hier 86 "M6-mss" mit. Dass sie dennoch nicht für "M6" anzunehmen sind, wird die folgende Beobachtung erweisen.

Yet, however, it need not always be an effect of "M5". For the Lectionary version found "pros auton" indispensable, because it only begins only at verse 3. Thus it already nested itself here firmly for this reason. Also "pros auton" from verse 2 can have jumped over here. Similarly it stands with three additional changes. Among 216 representatives of "M6", 99 have in verse 9 "kai hupo tes suneideseos elegxomenoi", 94 have in verse 6 " mh prospoioumenoi", and for 74 "ekeinoi" is included in verse 10.

The viewpoint first mentioned just now was vital everywhere: the frequent insertion from "M5", much more frequent still than the omission without similar motive is understandably lighter. Both these last being considered readings from "M5", omission from "peri auths (v5)" and the word order "monos o Insous (v9)" occur respectively in 82, and 86 "M6-mss". That they are still not to be accepted as "M6", the following observation will prove....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Nazaroo

Dec 5, 2005
✟10,730.00
Faith
Christian
Man konnte nämlich vermuten, dass diese starken Minoritäten zu Gunsten der "M5-Lesart" an den 6 Stellen auf eine besonders verbreitete Rezension des "M6-Textes" zurück zu fuhren seien, die an jenen Stellen die "M5-Lesart" Aufnahme. Aber dies bestätigt sich, soweit es ausschließlich aus dem Wortlaut der "M" geschlossen werden kann, nicht. Denn die Zeugenreihen setzen sich an den verschiedenen Stellen verschieden zusammen.

Von 30 Codd, die sonst die variantenlose "M6-Form" bieten, vertreten nur 132 1192 1285 494 in "v3" und "v9" gemeinsam die "M5-Lesart", dagegen haben noch 14 unter ihnen "v3: pros auton". Von jenen 4 haben die 3 letztgenannten auch die Addition "ekeinoi (v10)" von "M5", von den 14 dagegen nur 7. Wiederum hat die Gruppe 1276 2054 363 1428 629 zwar die beiden Additionen "prospoioumenos (v6)" und "kai-elegx (9)", dagegen keine der 4 anderen in Frage kommenden Lesarten von "M5". Eine andere Gruppe unter den Codd mit "M6" bilden durch gemeinsame Abweichungen nach "M5" die Codd 134 2040 = 2068 2042 1264 378 1300 1306 1326.

One might suppose since these strong minorities are driven back in favour of the "M5 version" at 6 places on a very wide sample of the "M6 text", that at those places the "M5 version" is intruding. But this is unconfirmed, as far as it can be shown from the "M" text alone, since the witnesses align themselves up differently in the various places.

Of 30 Codd which offer otherwise the "M6 form" without variations, only 132, 1192, 1285, & 494 have in both verse 3 and 9 the "M5 version": Against this another 14 have in verse 3 "pros auton". Of that 4, the last three also add "ekeinoi (v10)" from "M5", and from the 14, only 7 manuscripts add this.

Also the group 1276, 2054, 363, 1428, 629, has the following additions: "prospoioumenos (v6)" and " quay elegx (v9) ", with none of the other four having possible readings of "M5".

Another "M6" group of mss formed by common deviations to "M5" are the mss. 134,2040 = 2068,2042,1264,378,1300,1306 1326.

...(pg 489 last paragraph).

Upvote 0

Nazaroo

Dec 5, 2005
✟10,730.00
Faith
Christian
filosofer said:

Have just begun reading this thread, but don't have the time right now for in depth work. Thanks for the effort.

BTW I have read some of Bob Walz's material over the past several years.

In Christ's love,
filo
Awesome!
Thanks for the encouragement!

I assumed people were reading it, but I can't believe there is no one out there who speaks German.

Perhaps someone with more time will help fix up the translation. I would really like to complete it and edit it properly.

Peace!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.