Voice while asleep, or partially awake?

OceanJewel

Jan 17, 2012
✟8,355.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
A couple weeks ago I heard a voice around 4 in the morning. I felt like it was the Lord there and the voice said my name and that he would guide me. Does God speak to people this way? I was a little scared after this. This was a much nicer incident than one from when I was a kid. Is it possible this was not from God?

When I was a kid, maybe eleven or twelve I heard this mean voice in my sleep saying "The Devil is going to get YOU!" I was terrified about this incident for years. I did stray away from God during my teen years but recently came back.

Has anyone ever heard audible voices like this in their sleep? I have only experianced this twice.

WeWillSeeHimWhenHeAppears

Every eye will see Him, even those who pierced Him
May 8, 2012
✟7,827.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A couple weeks ago I heard a voice around 4 in the morning. I felt like it was the Lord there and the voice said my name and that he would guide me. Does God speak to people this way? I was a little scared after this. This was a much nicer incident than one from when I was a kid. Is it possible this was not from God?

When I was a kid, maybe eleven or twelve I heard this mean voice in my sleep saying "The Devil is going to get YOU!" I was terrified about this incident for years. I did stray away from God during my teen years but recently came back.

Has anyone ever heard audible voices like this in their sleep? I have only experianced this twice.

This one really deserves an answer, because of the possibility of allowing the devil to interfere. And, incidentally, I'm not really referring to the voice you recently heard, but the one that you heard when you were a child (I'm very particular about the use of child instead of kid, incidentally -- this is because of something the Lord showed me many years ago, in which He appeared to be telling me not to use the term to refer to children, since children are accepted in Scripture, and kids (goats) are rejected).

The fact that you were terrified about this incident for years is very revealing. No doubt, the devil spoke to you (or one of his emissaries, a demonic spirit). That had the effect of terrifying you. That was the goal -- and it worked. It's very important to get a very firm handle on this, and to understand how to deal with this effectively, because any hindrance in this area can mean you will not be able to hear God's voice clearly, which is God's will for you. Now I am not saying this because you are currently affected, but I cannot help but think that (1) it will be useful to someone reading this and that (2) it may be useful for you, too, since right at the current moment, you are seeking for help on whether or not God is speaking to you.

So let's get something really straight! And I'm speaking to the general audience, now, and not you specifically. God speaks in a certain "way" to His children, and it may be firm, sometimes, and it might even raise questions as to whether or not it's Him speaking, but He will certainly not terrorize you. So if you can get a handle on that, then you will know -- and would have know straight out -- who it was who was speaking to you the first time. All this goes back to character. This is absolutely crucial. Now don't get me wrong, God can deal in a very forthright manner with His own children (if they are disobedient). But He would never say something like, "The Devil is going to get YOU!" What He might say would be, "If you don't straighten up your act, the devil is going to get you." Do you see the clear difference between these two statements?

So why am I even emphasizing this? I am emphasizing all of this because it goes back to your first question about the voice you heard recently at about 4 in the morning. Who was it? Here is something that is a "tip off" that you may not be entirely in the right position to be able to hear God's voice clearly, even today: You wrote, "I was a little scared after this." That means you are still working on His character. Why were you scared? Answer that question. It's crucial. If you know why you were scared, then God can help you solve the question as to who it was who was speaking. There are three possibilities in all of this, and I will go through each of them and explain them to you. You should have a good understanding of how to proceed after this -- but I'm not going to tell you who spoke to you -- you are going to have to figure that one out for yourself. I highly recommend you take everything that I am writing and bring it before the Father. He cares for you and definitely wants you to know the answer to your question. I cannot answer it. But the Lord can and will.

1. First, you might have been delusional or simply thought you heard a voice. Of course, I do not believe this is the case, but I'm just mentioning it! :)

2. Second, the Lord might have spoken to you. If He did, He might have spoken to you in order to address the very fear you had in response to it. In other words, what I am saying is that you absolutely want to "get out of the mode" of responding in fear to God's voice. It's not what God intends. If you are scared every time God speaks to you -- guess what? That's a perfect opening for the devil. The devil seeks places of fear and enters in. You will not be able to properly discern God's voice if you respond in fear. Thus, you have a character issue that needs dealing with. I'm going to tell you what that character issue is: God's love for you. You need to pray in the following manner, and this is a whole lot more important than knowing if it was God who was speaking to you or not: "Lord, reveal your love to me." Just pray that prayer. Make it your daily prayer. God needs to "crack" the fear barrier that's present, and He wants to. And, He definitely will. His love is so overpowering (in a good way!) that you will not fear again, when He speaks to you. That fear will be gone.

3. Third, the devil (or one of his demons) might have spoken to you. My personal feeling is, he did not speak to you. I'm saying that only because the Spirit in me seems to be saying that (but since I'm not infallible, that's not a guarantee!). However, I don't think it was the devil (or one of his demons) who said that. In fact, there's a good reason why the devil would not have been the one to have spoken to you! That's because you have faith in God. So if you have faith in God, the devil does not want to reinforce that by acting like God's speaking (when the devil is really speaking instead). In that case, you should have stronger faith in God, because of the voice. The devil does not want to encourage you to have faith in God.

So do you know who spoke to you? Oops. It looks like I answered the question. I didn't mean to do that! :wave:

Reactions: Firewater
Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
That had the effect of terrifying you. That was the goal -- and it worked. It's very important to get a very firm handle on this, and to understand how to deal with this effectively
It can help to keep in mind that the enemy is "the accuser of the brethren." If you feel intimidating accusation or demeaning (in contrast with loving conviction), then it has no place in your Christian life and can be resisted.

I have a lot of friends who say that God wakes them up around 3AM to pray, because their minds are clearer then. It's usually just a normal wake-up, but I have heard of people hearing knocks, voices, and all sorts of cues. I recently heard a speaker who said he hears knocks all day, and knows when to stop/start praying that way.

1 Samuel 3
The Prophetic Call to Samuel
1 Now the boy Samuel was ministering to the Lord before Eli. And word from the Lord was rare in those days, visions were infrequent. 2 It happened at that time as Eli was lying down in his place (now his eyesight had begun to grow dim and he could not see well), 3 and the lamp of God had not yet gone out, and Samuel was lying down in the temple of the Lord where the ark of God was, 4 that the Lord called Samuel; and he said, "Here I am." 5 Then he ran to Eli and said, "Here I am, for you called me." But he said, "I did not call, lie down again." So he went and lay down. 6 The Lord called yet again, "Samuel!" So Samuel arose and went to Eli and said, "Here I am, for you called me." But he answered , "I did not call, my son, lie down again." 7 Now Samuel did not yet know the Lord, nor had the word of the Lord yet been revealed to him. 8 So the Lord called Samuel again for the third time. And he arose and went to Eli and said, "Here I am, for you called me." Then Eli discerned that the Lord was calling the boy. 9 And Eli said to Samuel, "Go lie down, and it shall be if He calls you, that you shall say, 'Speak, Lord, for Your servant is listening.'" So Samuel went and lay down in his place. 10 Then the Lord came and stood and called as at other times, "Samuel! Samuel!" And Samuel said, "Speak, for Your servant is listening." 11 The Lord said to Samuel, "Behold, I am about to do a thing in Israel at which both ears of everyone who hears it will tingle. 12 "In that day I will carry out against Eli all that I have spoken concerning his house, from beginning to end. 13 "For I have told him that I am about to judge his house forever for the iniquity which he knew, because his sons brought a curse on themselves and he did not rebuke them. 14 "Therefore I have sworn to the house of Eli that the iniquity of Eli's house shall not be atoned for by sacrifice or offering forever." 15 So Samuel lay down until morning. Then he opened the doors of the house of the Lord. But Samuel was afraid to tell the vision to Eli. 16 Then Eli called Samuel and said, "Samuel, my son." And he said, "Here I am." 17 He said, "What is the word that He spoke to you? Please do not hide it from me. May God do so to you, and more also, if you hide anything from me of all the words that He spoke to you." 18 So Samuel told him everything and hid nothing from him. And he said, "It is the Lord; let Him do what seems good to Him."

That said, I also want to mention physical ear/brain phenomena. The brain can get a nerve trigger that is similar to when it deciphers a sound, and pulls up the memory of a voice. It can sound very real.

Upvote 0