• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

NotSparedTheRod

Nov 19, 2022
Kentucky
✟20,250.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hello all,

As a result of several years' worth of methamphetamine use, I began to hear voices. It was not a fun time, and is still ongoing today. I do hope, with faith in Christ, that this description of my experiences will assist some of you in dealing with similar situations in your own lives.

I at first began to hear whispering, child-like voices, as did Saint Augustine of Hippo, if anyone wishes to look his history up. They told me strange things, and responded as if they were intelligent, self-willed, living creatures with fully developed minds and opinions of their own. They did everything from masquerade as crew members on a CIA-controlled US submarine communicating by radio, to being "fallen angels" (and I'd -swear- that the voice I spoke to that called itself a fallen angel was speaking in a tone of discouraged sarcasm at the time, as if it were not such, but disheartened at my continued drug use). One also warned me, literally that I "wouldn't like methamphetamine" quite clearly. In retrospect, it is quite clear that these voices were castigating me for my sinful ways and fascination with both weed and methamphetamine. God does -not- like overuse of drugs (I do not know if he would ever approved of medical weed - I suspect the answer is no, but don't quote me on it). He also doesn't like it when you nearly kill yourself by accidently overloading your heart or circulatory system with stimulants.

Regardless, I began to notice something about the voices - they began to guide me towards Christianity. They aren't evil, or hateful, but highly critical. I think I was getting a preview of the "eternal condemnation" aspect of going to Hell. These voices persisted for weeks at a time; sometimes they get louder, sometimes softer, but to this day they have not gone completely away. We actually hold conversations together - they are most certainly not mere hallucinations. They have actually prompted me to try and spread the Gospel, and have responded to being challenged on the matter of weather Christ came in the flesh - make sure that they don't try to twist their response if you dare ask them. Many times I asked them "Do you testify that Jesus Christ came in the flesh?" Many times they responded "We do so trestify that Jesus came in the..." and then repeated themselves without affirmation, or twisted the word "flesh" into some other word, so as to avoid speaking truthfully.

It has been several years now since this started, and we have developed something of a working relationship. I have heard voices to the left of me, to the right, and from directly above. It sometimes seem to mirror the idea of angels/devils sitting on your right or left shoulder, and have openly referred to themselves as cherubim. I would not advise trusting those sitting on your left shoulder - they are of the "sinister" variety, as the ones on the right seem to be more or less holy/honest, if caustic against one's ongoing sins. ***I do not endorse the universal application of this paradigm*** - it seems to possibly be linked to one's own memetic perceptions and knowledge. In any case, prayer does help. I've even had them lead me in prayer, if I recall correctly.

If any Christians of the psychiatric doctor persuasion would like to contact me regarding this, please feel free to do so. Barring the Lord telling me not to pass on my experiences, I am an open book on this subject. There is much more I hesitate to list here, but i am all for the advancement of healing sciences, the progress of healing by faith, and through the ministerial offices of our Lord Christ. I'm quite convinced this may be a manifestation of the Holy Spirit - a very angry and displeased manifestation, given my long history of drug abuse and a largely wasted life.

Thanks for reading, and may God bless you with insight and healing through His Word and mine. And keep in mind - these may well be demons/ But when I determined to stop my sinning and asked Christ for his help in sincere prayer, they really did slowly start to get better, and more helpful, especially from a religious perspective.

NotSparedTheRod

Nov 19, 2022
Kentucky
✟20,250.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
An update: I am going to be joining the Roman Catholic Church.
Actually, I ended up joining the Global Methodist Church. Anyway, time for an update: I have found that engaging the voices with Scripture has been quite helpful. Prayer also quiets them, especially when done before a crucifix I mounted up on my wall. It's a nice one, not exactly in the best condition, but my grandmother (God rest her soul, please) used to own it. Also, Scripturally testing these voices also makes them... hesitate somewhat.

Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

NotSparedTheRod

Nov 19, 2022
Kentucky
✟20,250.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Actually, I ended up joining the Global Methodist Church. Anyway, time for an update: I have found that engaging the voices with Scripture has been quite helpful. Prayer also quiets them, especially when done before a crucifix I mounted up on my wall. It's a nice one, not exactly in the best condition, but my grandmother (God rest her soul, please) used to own it. Also, Scripturally testing these voices also makes them... hesitate somewhat.
When I say testing, what i meant was asking them if Jesus Christ came in the flesh, as is required in Scripture to test spirits. A lot of the time., they try to say something like "he came in the flashlight" or something along those lines. It's obvious they're trying to twist words, so I -definitely- consider such voices to be demonic oppression. Some have answered simply "yes," though. Those are from God, i am certain.

Upvote 0

johansen

Sep 13, 2023
silverdale
✟6,282.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
When I say testing, what i meant was asking them if Jesus Christ came in the flesh, as is required in Scripture to test spirits. A lot of the time., they try to say something like "he came in the flashlight" or something along those lines. It's obvious they're trying to twist words, so I -definitely- consider such voices to be demonic oppression. Some have answered simply "yes," though. Those are from God, i am certain.
I have heard every permutation of those 9 words i confess jesus christ is come in the flesh.

the demons can change the order of the words, or leave any single word out.

the test isn't simple.
is come, is a past present and future tense greek concept that is not grasped by most english folks, which is why they get deceived by a spirit saying i confess Jesus christ came in the flesh.

also paul's test of spirits doesn't work. any demon under the sun can say Jesus is Lord.
i once had a conversation with a guy and he realized this was true because just for fun he and some others during exorcisms would make the demon confess Jesus is Lord.

anyhow, i hope you get deliverance over the voices.

Upvote 0