Visitors center welcoming thread (TCL members please check in here)

seeker37

Mar 4, 2012
St. Louis, MO
✟7,714.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hi. It's been quite a bit since I've been to Christian Forums. I lost the link when I got a new computer and then forgot my password/username.

I am a member of an ELCA congregation, but do not attend (haven't for some time). ELCA is currently too liberal, I believe, and I am seeking a more conservative take on the Christian faith. I've explored other denominations, including Eastern Orthodoxy. However, recently I have been drawn to examine more closely the LCMS and perhaps discuss with an LCMS pastor what is involved in switching to LCMS from ELCA. Right now I aim for a faith with links to the ancient faith (such as creeds, frequent Communion, etc), but simple enough that my heart can focus on my relationship with Jesus. Perhaps LCMS is just that.

I hope this forum will help me frame some of the questions I am having about what to do next, where to go next.

God's blessings to all of you.

Upvote 0

LilLamb219

The Lamb is gone
Site Supporter
Jun 2, 2005
Visit site
✟83,596.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Welcome back!

Ask the local LCMS pastor about the Adult Inquiry classes so you can see if the LCMS is a good fit for you...it sounds like it is! :)

Hi. It's been quite a bit since I've been to Christian Forums. I lost the link when I got a new computer and then forgot my password/username.

I am a member of an ELCA congregation, but do not attend (haven't for some time). ELCA is currently too liberal, I believe, and I am seeking a more conservative take on the Christian faith. I've explored other denominations, including Eastern Orthodoxy. However, recently I have been drawn to examine more closely the LCMS and perhaps discuss with an LCMS pastor what is involved in switching to LCMS from ELCA. Right now I aim for a faith with links to the ancient faith (such as creeds, frequent Communion, etc), but simple enough that my heart can focus on my relationship with Jesus. Perhaps LCMS is just that.

I hope this forum will help me frame some of the questions I am having about what to do next, where to go next.

God's blessings to all of you.

Upvote 0

Tangible

Decision Theology = Ex Opere Operato
May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Just wondering... is there a formal Lutheran mariology? If so, can someone please link me to a document explaining it? I don't want to debate the issue so I don't want to start a thread - I just want to read it. Thanks.

Grace
You might start with these ...

Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod - Christian Cyclopedia

http://www.whymarymatters.com/?tag=mariology

(How) should we Hail Mary? | Confessing Evangelical

If you want to dig deeper ...

Beggars All: Reformation And Apologetics: Martin Luther's Mariology

Upvote 0

Sayre

Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
✟18,216.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

The Conductor

Χριστῷ συνεσταύρωμαι
Mar 27, 2013
Canada
Visit site
✟8,221.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello! I am a former Baptist trying to join the Lutheran Church-Canada. I've read the Book of Concord once through already. I'm having a bit of trouble as my dad is a Baptist minister and I'm in an evangelical university. I love everything about confessional Lutheranism, and it's driving me crazy to see how nobody seems to see what the Bible so clearly says. The LC-C is pretty sparse around here.

Upvote 0

LilLamb219

The Lamb is gone
Site Supporter
Jun 2, 2005
Visit site
✟83,596.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello! I am a former Baptist trying to join the Lutheran Church-Canada. I've read the Book of Concord once through already. I'm having a bit of trouble as my dad is a Baptist minister and I'm in an evangelical university. I love everything about confessional Lutheranism, and it's driving me crazy to see how nobody seems to see what the Bible so clearly says. The LC-C is pretty sparse around here.

Welcome to the forums! Lutherans are usually viewed as the aliens of Christianity, in my opinion ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟825,594.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married

Hi Conductor:wave:,

I'm LCC:thumbsup:,

I'm in southern Ontario (East District), and sit on the East District Worship Committee as well. I have been a member from birth (when we were part of LCMS). But, like you, the more I learn about other Churches, and the more I study ours and the Scriptures, the more resolute I am.:)

If you don't mind me asking; what part of the country do you live in?

Mark:)

Welcome to the forums! Lutherans are usually viewed as the aliens of Christianity, in my opinion ;)

Where I live there are lots of us; there are also a lot of ELCIC.

The ELCIC think we are standoffish and crazy, the reformed protestants either think we are pseudo-romanists and papists... or they just don't care. Our Catholic Brothers and sisters consider us good neighbors. And us, we are just glad we are us. Praise God!:)

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟825,594.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I'm in the Maritimes. There's a grand total of four LC-C churches in all of New Brunswick.

Indeed; our Congregations sponsors the Maritime Missions of the East District, and My Pastor goes out there a couple of times a year.:)

Upvote 0

Systematiker

Oct 22, 2014
✟15,179.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Hi everyone, I'm relatively new here - signed up a bit ago, and then didn't have time to do much but lurk. Anyway, I'm in transition from liberal to confessional Lutheran bodies, and glad to be here. I used to be a Baptist pastor, so my transition has been pretty distinct over the last few years in terms of theology. Here's to the future!

Upvote 0

LilLamb219

The Lamb is gone
Site Supporter
Jun 2, 2005
Visit site
✟83,596.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi everyone, I'm relatively new here - signed up a bit ago, and then didn't have time to do much but lurk. Anyway, I'm in transition from liberal to confessional Lutheran bodies, and glad to be here. I used to be a Baptist pastor, so my transition has been pretty distinct over the last few years in terms of theology. Here's to the future!

Welcome to the forums! If you have any questions, just ask! :clap:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jsteel

Jun 19, 2013
✟16,112.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Good day all

Im am James, LCMS. For the past two yeas am without a church. I was a youth leader for 10 years but decided to keep studying on my own after getting sick of all the politics. I am more of an introvert so crowds give me a lot of anxiety.

I like to study theology and read luthers books. I believe in conservative Lutheranism.

I am a systems administrator by trade.

Upvote 0

Kingdom Cross

Feb 13, 2015
✟7,648.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi... :wave:

I'm a recently-"communionless" Christian who's having some troubles trying to understand the true nature of the Church. Christian Forums is a good place to seek fellowship and ideas. In my studies of history & theology, it seems that the classical Lutheran forms of polity and doctrine is pure indeed.

In leaving a Roman Catholic milieu, I am feeling isolated. Hopefully the Lutheran forum will be helpful... :)

Upvote 0