✟72,336.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
IXOYE<>< said:
This sunday, I'd like to visit a Catholic church. But, I want to be respectful of the dos and do nots. Any particular advice? Do they let people just come in and sit for the service or what?

Thanks

All are welcome to join us in Mass. When you first come into the parish and find the roll of pews that you choose to sit in... before you sit down... kneel and do the sign of the cross...

How do you do this?

Take your right hand - (two first fingers - not your thumb) and say as you put your fingers on your forehead... you say in the name of the Father and then put your right fingers below your breast and say "and the Son" and then put your right fingers on your left shoulder and say "and the Holy ....

then finish up by putting your right fingers on your right shoulder saying"Ghost, Amen".

Then sit or if you are there a bit early and want to have a moment of prayer... and if the parish has kneelers (by your feet)... pull them down and kneel and say some quiet prayers or "think" some quiet prayers... or meditate in the peacefulness of the parish. When you hear the music begin and you see others stand... stand with them and pretty much copy what others are doing... at first to help give you an idea of what to do and what not to do.

Also, When it is time to take the Eucharist... you probably already know this... but just incase... please do not take the Eucharist... If you want to know why... I can explain, but if you already know why... cool...

I pray that you have a wonderful time with our Lord Jesus in Mass. God be with you and bless you immensely.

God's Peace,

Debbie

Upvote 0

kimber1

mean people suck
Feb 25, 2003
Va.
Visit site
✟38,363.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
also a little note....

you don't HAVE to do anything your'e uncomfortable with. as a non-Catholic it may seem foreign to you to make the sign of the cross, or kneel and what have you so basically if you're not comfortable with what's being done don't sweat it :) if you want to blend in better so to speak, just follow the crowd. :) stand when they stand, sit when they sit. you're not obligated to kneel :)

i hope you enjoy your time there :)

Upvote 0

graysparrow

My life is for the kids who have it rough
Feb 6, 2005
Canary Islands
✟12,769.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Dear IXOYE

I would suggest you to simply be seated and quiet. That is perfectly acceptable for a non catholic. Just remember not to take communion. If you can speak with the priest in advance.

:) Don't worry, even born Catholics make mistakes with the liturgy :)

Upvote 0

scraparcs

aka Mayor McCheese
Mar 4, 2002
Massachusetts
✟91,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I don't know how you can tell beforehand, but if they have a rock band next to the altar, stadium seating, eucharist passed around, and not a kneeler anywhere, it's a bit unconventional.

May your first experience be wonderful!

Reactions: graysparrow
Upvote 0

Paul S

Salve, regina, mater misericordiæ
Sep 12, 2004
Louisville, KY
✟17,194.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
gtsecc said:
I agree with the sit and watch suggestions, but I would absolutely do 2 things:
1. Bow to Christ on the Altar before entering your pew.
2. Kneel and pray in your pew before the service begins.

One genuflects (kneels on one knee) to the tabernacle before entering the pew, and when leaving (except when going up to receive Communion).

If the tabernacle is off to one side, you still genuflect to it. If it's off in another room, then you bow to the altar.

If the Sacrament is exposed, as during Adoration, then you genuflect with both knees, right first, then left.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Robbie_James_Francis

May all beings have happiness and its causes
Apr 12, 2005
England, UK
✟20,261.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Lel said:
but if they have a rock band next to the altar, stadium seating, eucharist passed around, and not a kneeler anywhere...

Leave!!!

And pray for them.

:) I hope your first visit is a wonderful experience for you! :) :hug:

Rob :liturgy:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.