Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't want to share a spoiler but in this season the show Orthodox Rus practicing self flagellation. Was this ever a part of Orrhodox practice or are they, as often done, projecting a Catholic practice for drama's same?

Hermit76

You can call me Paisios
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2015
✟291,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
it is something that you do find from time to time, but it's a very rare practice and done for different reasons.
This was on "Good Friday." Several, what I assumed were monks, were doing it.

Upvote 0

Hermit76

You can call me Paisios
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2015
✟291,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I flunked Vikings6B. I didn’t take the prerequisite course, Vikings6A, so I wasn’t prepared for the plunder to come.
I think "Pottery 420f: The Art of the Bedchamber Pot" would have been a better choice than this elective.

Upvote 0

SalemsConcordance

Oct 5, 2020
Westcoast
✟36,299.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I recall reading that in Russia prior to the revolution, there were many ascetic fools for Christ with heavy chains, or other 'severe' feats of asceticism, as well many Saints saying that Russia's monasteries had lost its 'flavor' - and wouldn't be surprised if some 'enforced' some type of self-flagellation. Perhaps I had read from St John of Kronstadt but do not have the reference handy.

Orthodox Anthology: Sayings of St Anthony the Great
8. He also said, “Some have worn out their bodies in asceticism, but they lack discernment, and so they are far from God.”

I've also realized a lot of Monty Python and terrible 'comedy' poked fun at monastics and asceticism and I am a bit poisoned by this upbringing.

Upvote 0