Video Game/Movie/Yeah...

FireRock

Call me a dreamer of the seemingly unattainable...
Aug 23, 2004
Kansas City, Missouri
✟20,744.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So my latest endeavor is to write out a video game. I'm trying to write out the main general plotline in the form of a movie, so to speak, and it's really hard!

Has anyone else ever tried to write a video game? As a christian, I'm finding some things really difficult to hammer out, especially to stay away from being too cheesy or corny, which can happen a lot in christian video games it seems. well, from the very small handful I'm come across in my life.

It's at the bottom of a pile of notebooks currently, but I'm going to dig it out and post on here, along with my myriad of questions.

*wanders off searching*

FireRock

Aug 23, 2004
Kansas City, Missouri
✟20,744.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Okay, here's the very, very , very basic plotline for the game. (As all the questions flood my mind yet again...I seriously have at least a page of notes, and it keeps growing...*sigh*)

Working title: "Adjudication" (means decision or judgement)

It's a generation or so into the future. Christianity isn't necessarily outlawed, but it's very much looked down upon by government/culture/general public/etc. The two main characters are a brother and sister (17-20yrs old?). Those are the playable characters, making it an up to 2-player game.
It gets pretty vague from there. I know I want a main point, like they need to get somewhere to save something/someone. Haven't nailed that detail down yet. Along the way, they can talk to people about Christ, and it will be at random who decides to accept and reject - consequences follow. So the player could go through the whole game not having his character talk to anyone about christ, but either you wouldn't get very far and/or it could make the journey much harder. There's other objuectives I'm toying with, along the lines of making it to an underground church, destrying some evil mastermind, rescuing other christians, etc. But that brings me to question that perhaps I do want to make it during a time when Christianity is already outlawed, but before the Rapture (for all the pre-tribs out there :) ).

I apologize. There's more to it than what I've written, but I don't have the notebook in front of me.

Here's a couple of the questions I remember writing down off the top of my head...

>Should the settings/scenes be real places (i.e. Chicago, London, Canada) or should they be made-up places? Obviously drawing a fiction town or city is much easier than drawing a real place, but story-wise which would work better?

>How much of a story should there be? Less (i.e. Halo or Tony Hawk video games) or more (i.e. Kingdom Hearts or Final Fantasy video games)?

>Should it be more about fighting against an evil organization or about fighting the forces of darkness? I'm leaning toward the first, since the second idea could turn it into a whole other video game that I may never end up making. :p

>How should good/evil, morality, sin, etc. be portrayed? Should there be good and bad consequences for good and bad decisions? Should it be clear-cut?

>Should the power of the Holy Spirit be portrayed? How about the decomic powers? If so, how should they be portrayed?

If you could even give me a hand with some of those basics, that's be wonderful! I'm still struggling with how to do the goodie bag, for lack of a better word. You know, where the player can access the world map, scene objectives, weapons, etc. I was thinking of something easy, like in the character's backpack and you'd just hit the start/pause button to get to it. *shrug* I still need to figure out the game layout so I can make a map for it and figure out what it looks like and all. Yeah, even the most basic stuff...
-Weapons? Fighting?
-Drawing style for the game?
-Magic-ish abilities (linked ot either demonic or heavenly powers)?
- Characters talk or do the words they're saying show up in cartoon bubbles/boxes?

I have ideas, but they all hinge on what the generalities for the game are. I realize that anime and FF are very popular, so I may lean toward that style. But then again Tony Hawk and Halo and Socom (?) are very popular as well, and perhaps with this type of storyline, a more realistic visual style would be better. Save the anime style for the demon-whooping viseo game!! :D

Thanks for your interst and input, guys. I feel like such a girl and very un-knowlegable about video games, but the idea of having really good, quality, interesting, challenging, fun games out there with a redeemable theme to them has really been hitting me. It's a rather long story, but I guess here goes nothing.

*hopeful*

Upvote 0

Dragoon

Oct 8, 2004
New Orleans
✟15,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Sounds cool. Let's see if I can help with some of your questions.

Should the settings/scenes be real places

I would say no. A fantasy town would be better since it allows you more creative freedom. Of course, you could take Chicago for instance and add some made up stuff to it, but still, I would go with fantasy.

How much of a story should there be?

It should definitely be story driven like an RPG. Of course, you don't need to make it too movie-like, but having deep plots captures the audience's interest making them want to play more.

Should it be more about fighting against an evil organization or about fighting the forces of darkness?

I know you're thinking more about the evil organizations and such, but I think having forces of darkness would be a bit better. Maybe you can go with both, having an organization that utilizes the power of darkness to spread its evil dominion. But it depends what you're leaning on, fantasy or reality.

How should good/evil, morality, sin, etc. be portrayed? Should there be good and bad consequences for good and bad decisions? Should it be clear-cut?

There should be consequences with only some being obvious and others being more subtle, depending of course on the type of evil that has been done.

As far as being portrayed, I would say go ahead and show it in actions. I guess that's what you meant by that, right?

Should the power of the Holy Spirit be portrayed? How about the decomic powers? If so, how should they be portrayed?

I have an idea. The good guys should have three special abilities that they can perform: Prayer, Worship, and Scripture (These terms off the top of my heard). One ability can be used to handle healing miracles to be used to heal the sick or even heal your characters from wounds. Another can be used to cast out demons from people, battle demons, and basically "summon" angels to battle demons for you. The last ability can be used to empower others and your characters. For instance, Strength Up, Defense Up, or Resistance to Temptation and whatnot.

Evil forces can have their own abilities like Possession where they take control of humans and creatures for their own desires, Temptation where they can cause people to sin or your characters to sin or something, and Curse where they can cast sickness and disease and strife on people and your characters.

Weapons? Fighting?
-Drawing style for the game?
-Magic-ish abilities (linked ot either demonic or heavenly powers)?
- Characters talk or do the words they're saying show up in cartoon bubbles/boxes?

Weapons: Spiritual stuff for demonic forces such as the Bible and prayer. For humans, depends if you want violence. Then I would say weapons ranging from bare fists to guns. But that depends on if you want killing or not.

Magic: See above.

Characters: Let them talk. It's much more entertaining to hear voices.

I have ideas, but they all hinge on what the generalities for the game are. I realize that anime and FF are very popular, so I may lean toward that style. But then again Tony Hawk and Halo and Socom (?) are very popular as well, and perhaps with this type of storyline, a more realistic visual style would be better. Save the anime style for the demon-whooping viseo game!! :D

I say more RPG-like like FF but not turn based battle style. Make it free moving.

Those are my suggestions. If you like them and need some more help, feel free to keep asking. :)

Upvote 0

FireRock

Aug 23, 2004
Kansas City, Missouri
✟20,744.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Sounds cool. Let's see if I can help with some of your questions.

I would say no. A fantasy town would be better since it allows you more creative freedom. Of course, you could take Chicago for instance and add some made up stuff to it, but still, I would go with fantasy.

That's what I was thinking, but I'm glad you agree. At the least, it would be easier to draw and build made up towns than teying to recreate the landscape of a place people already know. That brings up another question: How far into the future should this look? I know I orginally said about a generation forward, but what would be a good way of representing that?

It should definitely be story driven like an RPG. Of course, you don't need to make it too movie-like, but having deep plots captures the audience's interest making them want to play more.
Yes, I like the thought of there being an actual story around the main objective rather than kill-and-get-points type of thing. Personal preference, but I think it will appeal to the general demographic I'm looking at.

I know you're thinking more about the evil organizations and such, but I think having forces of darkness would be a bit better. Maybe you can go with both, having an organization that utilizes the power of darkness to spread its evil dominion. But it depends what you're leaning on, fantasy or reality.
See, that's where I get a little confused. It's earth in the future, so to speak, but with the places being made up I know that I can sretch things a little more. There are people that are literally haunted by demons and such to where it's pretty normal for them to see the supernatural expressed visually. I like your recommendation to have the powers of darkness utilize the evil organization to spread evil. I'll have to see where I can go with that concept.

There should be consequences with only some being obvious and others being more subtle, depending of course on the type of evil that has been done.

As far as being portrayed, I would say go ahead and show it in actions. I guess that's what you meant by that, right?
It was kind of a two-part question, I think. First part is the question of what should be the reaction/consequence of the player's character when it does something good or bad. Like when the character gets hit by a bad guy, it loses health/money/magic/etc. But I'm looking at a little wider scope than just that. Sure, there can be fights where if an enemy hits your character, he/she loses strength or they cast a Shadow of Doubt, which in turns decreases the character's wisdom or something (I'm working on it). But also, when a character does something (like evangelize) but the character he/she evangelizes to fights them. Or if there's people that need help, and they decide to continue on their journey or do something else, perhaps they'd lose out on extra points or the ability to level up in an area. I need to figure out how much random chance they can put in when developing a video game before I'll be able to fully dissect that question.
About portrayal part: I was wondering if Holy Spirit, and supernatural forces (angels and demons) should be visually created to be seen by the characters and player of the video game, or if they just "there" without ever really being shown. Does that make sense? Should the Holy Spirit show up like to level up or power up the player's character, or are things just attributed to being from Him? Same with demonic powers...Are they the black creatures from Frank Peretti's novels with glowing eyes, or are things (like the actions of the evil organization) just attributed to them? I'm pondering this long and hard because everyone seems to have a very specific idea of what supernatural forces do and don't do, and what they are like in general. It could be difficult to find a clear line to follow. Besides, there's so many possibilites in gameplay with introducing supernatural forces...so many!

I have an idea. The good guys should have three special abilities that they can perform: Prayer, Worship, and Scripture (These terms off the top of my heard). One ability can be used to handle healing miracles to be used to heal the sick or even heal your characters from wounds. Another can be used to cast out demons from people, battle demons, and basically "summon" angels to battle demons for you. The last ability can be used to empower others and your characters. For instance, Strength Up, Defense Up, or Resistance to Temptation and whatnot.

Evil forces can have their own abilities like Possession where they take control of humans and creatures for their own desires, Temptation where they can cause people to sin or your characters to sin or something, and Curse where they can cast sickness and disease and strife on people and your characters.
You rule! You rule! You rule! Did you find my notebook and copy my ideas??? Seriously, that's almost exactly what I had written down as part of a few ideas. Oh man, that is so encouraging, Dragoon!!! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I have a ton more questions in this specific area alone, but I'll save it for a later post.

Weapons: Spiritual stuff for demonic forces such as the Bible and prayer. For humans, depends if you want violence. Then I would say weapons ranging from bare fists to guns. But that depends on if you want killing or not.

Magic: See above.

Characters: Let them talk. It's much more entertaining to hear voices.
I was thinking about those things for weapons, but I think they could come off a bit cheesy and Sunday-school-ish. How do I avoid that? Also with fighting style, if I bring in supernatural forces it could kick the rating up a bit anyways (especially depending on how it's all prtrayed). I think that with what the player's characters are doing and the times they're living in, getting into fights and dogding gunfire are very much plausible in the game world. But once again, how do I come off not being cheesy? Any ideas on how to mix the right amount of spiritual warfare and physical fighting so that it works for the game and the audience? In essence, I'm portraying the reality of the spirit world unseen by the flesh, and I don't want it to be taken lightly, or overdone to the point where it's completely unbelivable. Same with the physical fighting and human enemies.

I say more RPG-like like FF but not turn based battle style. Make it free moving.

Those are my suggestions. If you like them and need some more help, feel free to keep asking. :)
Could you explain more specifically what you mean by turn-based and free-moving battle styles? I want to make sure that I understand what you're saying.
If you mean like in the Pokemon video games where you take make an attack, then your opponent makes an attack, then you make an attack, then....blah blah blah...I don't want to do that. Free moving like in Halo and such is definitely what I'd do. Is that what you meant?

Thank you so much for all your suggestions and comments, Dragoon! I appreciate it so much! Mostly thank you for treating this idea like it has a chance. You and Crusader are one of the first people that I've mentioned it to that have wanted to hear more and offered real suggestions and opinions. even if this idea never makes it to screen in any form, at least I'll know I had a good idea, and I thank you for that.

Upvote 0

Dragoon

Oct 8, 2004
New Orleans
✟15,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
That's what I was thinking, but I'm glad you agree. At the least, it would be easier to draw and build made up towns than teying to recreate the landscape of a place people already know. That brings up another question: How far into the future should this look? I know I orginally said about a generation forward, but what would be a good way of representing that?

Hmm, let me think. Unless you're going for a more sci-fi genre, I would say keep the technology level basically the same as today. A few minor advances wouldn't hurt, though, if you really wanted to move in that direction. However, wickedness should be more prevelant in that you will see more evil and sinful acts in every day life. For instance, I think it would be interesting to have some missions to do (they could be related to the plot or not). There could be a mission, say, where you are asked to help stop a serial killer. When you find him, it would be like a boss battle where you have to use your abilities such as prayer, worship, and rebuke to defeat the demon of murder. He would in turn use his abilities against you.

It was kind of a two-part question, I think. First part is the question of what should be the reaction/consequence of the player's character when it does something good or bad. Like when the character gets hit by a bad guy, it loses health/money/magic/etc. But I'm looking at a little wider scope than just that. Sure, there can be fights where if an enemy hits your character, he/she loses strength or they cast a Shadow of Doubt, which in turns decreases the character's wisdom or something (I'm working on it). But also, when a character does something (like evangelize) but the character he/she evangelizes to fights them. Or if there's people that need help, and they decide to continue on their journey or do something else, perhaps they'd lose out on extra points or the ability to level up in an area. I need to figure out how much random chance they can put in when developing a video game before I'll be able to fully dissect that question.

Wow, really good ideas. I think normal demon attacks should focus primarily on reducing HP (health points) whereas their abilities should focus on status effects. For instance, maybe an ability called Deceiving Words can cause confusion on your character causing him/her to not be able to distinguish who the enemy target is or another ability could be Curse of Sickness which cause your character to gradually lose HP over time. I'm kind of borrowing ideas from RPG's, lol. And stats like wisdom could be attributed to RPG stats as well. Like wisdom can directly effect the effectiveness of your rebukes and faith can effect your prayers. Something along those lines.

The whole evangelize idea is amazing. I never thought about that and it is very good. Evangelize characters to join you to fight evil is a fun concept. I'll try to think more on that so that maybe I can throw in some suggestions here and there if you like.

About portrayal part: I was wondering if Holy Spirit, and supernatural forces (angels and demons) should be visually created to be seen by the characters and player of the video game, or if they just "there" without ever really being shown. Does that make sense? Should the Holy Spirit show up like to level up or power up the player's character, or are things just attributed to being from Him? Same with demonic powers...Are they the black creatures from Frank Peretti's novels with glowing eyes, or are things (like the actions of the evil organization) just attributed to them? I'm pondering this long and hard because everyone seems to have a very specific idea of what supernatural forces do and don't do, and what they are like in general. It could be difficult to find a clear line to follow. Besides, there's so many possibilites in gameplay with introducing supernatural forces...so many!

Well, it's up to you whether the characters should see the supernatural or not, but I highly recommend allowing the player to see them. For instance, allow the character to be able to "summon" the Holy Spirit to boost up strength and faith and also maybe to rain down fire upon the enemy forces (spiritual forces of course). Also, calling angels to fight by your side would be interesting. But again it's up to you if the characters should see them. It really wouldn't hurt the game in any way. Another ability could be the guardian angel deflects all enemy attacks for a certain time limit or something.

Oh, and demons should look wicked and something frightening just to depict their evil nature. None of this should really decrease the seriousness of the game, I wouldn't think. In fact, it may make people more interested in learning Christian theology.

You rule! You rule! You rule! Did you find my notebook and copy my ideas??? Seriously, that's almost exactly what I had written down as part of a few ideas. Oh man, that is so encouraging, Dragoon!!! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I have a ton more questions in this specific area alone, but I'll save it for a later post.

lol :)

I was thinking about those things for weapons, but I think they could come off a bit cheesy and Sunday-school-ish. How do I avoid that? Also with fighting style, if I bring in supernatural forces it could kick the rating up a bit anyways (especially depending on how it's all prtrayed). I think that with what the player's characters are doing and the times they're living in, getting into fights and dogding gunfire are very much plausible in the game world. But once again, how do I come off not being cheesy? Any ideas on how to mix the right amount of spiritual warfare and physical fighting so that it works for the game and the audience? In essence, I'm portraying the reality of the spirit world unseen by the flesh, and I don't want it to be taken lightly, or overdone to the point where it's completely unbelivable. Same with the physical fighting and human enemies.

I'm not too sure. It doesn't seem to go with the flow of the game to have the main character weilding guns and beating the life out of others. He's/she's a Christian, right? So we would therefore have to think of another way to express this. I was thinking maybe having the true Christians of the team battle with their prayers and such while the searching non-Christians of the team can do all the physical fighting. Something like mages and warriors, with the Christians being mages and the non-Christians being warriors. That could work possibly. And some of the non-christians could be the ones you evangelize to join your team, making witnessing an integral part in the game. Oh, and I also have a great idea for the Christians of the team. They should be able to pray for protection which can prevent them from receiving damage from physical enemies. I know that may seem a little far-fetched in reality, but I still think it could work. You see, the Christians should deal specifically with "magics" like miracles, healing, defensive and "summoning" abilities. Non-Christians should deal with dealing and taking physical damage and the like. I kind of repeated myself, lol.

Could you explain more specifically what you mean by turn-based and free-moving battle styles? I want to make sure that I understand what you're saying.
If you mean like in the Pokemon video games where you take make an attack, then your opponent makes an attack, then you make an attack, then....blah blah blah...I don't want to do that. Free moving like in Halo and such is definitely what I'd do. Is that what you meant?

Yeah, precisely. Except I wouldn't suggest firt person perspective, but more third person like Metal Gear Solid.

Thank you so much for all your suggestions and comments, Dragoon! I appreciate it so much! Mostly thank you for treating this idea like it has a chance. You and Crusader are one of the first people that I've mentioned it to that have wanted to hear more and offered real suggestions and opinions. even if this idea never makes it to screen in any form, at least I'll know I had a good idea, and I thank you for that.

Oh, it's no problem at all.:) I enjoy writing plots, designing characters, and creating interactive elements as in games and movies. So I definitely enjoy doing this.

Upvote 0

FireRock

Aug 23, 2004
Kansas City, Missouri
✟20,744.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Do I think it will ever actually hit the market? No.

Do I want to try and design it all the way through, even if it doesn't get onto a screen? Yes.

I'm not fully sure why. Maybe I want to see if I can do it...if I've got the creative energy and endurance to complete something as complex as a RP-ish video game. Maybe I just need to get the idea out until it leaves me alone.

*shrug* I don't know. But I'm doing it.

Upvote 0

fuzzyjesusfreak

on the fuzzier side of life
Oct 7, 2006
Under your pet rock
✟15,826.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
hmmmm, sounds like a cool game, just maybe it will hit the market if you go through with it, i have a few ideas for the demonic powers and holy powers:

when sombody gets possessed, they kinda clutch their head and fall to the ground and suddenly turns into a demon form, and then they get those powers you said.

the holy powers im thinking of are something a little different, you get a limit guage, kinda like the things in kingdom hearts, and when that becomes full, you can do a cirtain thing like push a cirtain button and you can take an angels shape and have different and more powerful powers. in that form you are in a white cloak and...well, mostly like the pictures of angels you know, you get arrows, swords, and bibles, and a small cross, the small cross goes with the bible for a most devistating attack, you get to take the bible, open it and do a bit of exorsism, you hold up the cross above your head and light fills the screen and all demons in the area are killed, but they do come back in a minute.

those are some of my ideas

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FireRock

Aug 23, 2004
Kansas City, Missouri
✟20,744.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hmmm...interesting ideas, fuzzyjesusfreak. Elaborate some more. I was tossing around the idea of having the angels and demons be separate entities that help more than inhabit or possess the human characters. What would be the criteria for either an angel or a demon to take control of a human character? How should it be protrayed so that it doesn't come off too hokey or far-fetched?

I like your idea for the visual of the attacks. Very nice.

Currently I'm attempting to work on my world map, kind of like getting an area to see how far my characters are able to go. Maybe. Maybe I'm just trying to get one aspect tackled so that it feels a bit more managable. I'm not good at all with names at all, especially when it comes to locations and technology. Erg.

Is your avatar from Angel Sanctuary, fuzzyjesusfreak? He looks like Setsuna.

Upvote 0

fuzzyjesusfreak

on the fuzzier side of life
Oct 7, 2006
Under your pet rock
✟15,826.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
no, my avvy is from saiyuki, sanzo is his name

im glad you liked my idea there, you can do all of the stuff about how they change form and stuff, but i have to go in a few minutes so ill write some more later, good luck on that map

Upvote 0

jelly_bean

Jelly Inc.; we put the K in Kwality!
Oct 26, 2004
Flutopia
✟58,543.00
Faith
Christian
Do I think it will ever actually hit the market? No.

Do I want to try and design it all the way through, even if it doesn't get onto a screen? Yes.

I'm not fully sure why. Maybe I want to see if I can do it...if I've got the creative energy and endurance to complete something as complex as a RP-ish video game. Maybe I just need to get the idea out until it leaves me alone.

*shrug* I don't know. But I'm doing it.
Firerock! ( :wave: )

All I can say is, check out this game. :p However your game is, make it better than this one. >_> (I downloaded it before, but I can't find it anymore...) http://www.forgivenessrpg.com/downloads.html

(It IS pretty cute, but it's something you should avoid ;))

Upvote 0

FireRock

Aug 23, 2004
Kansas City, Missouri
✟20,744.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Oh man, that was too fun, jelly_bean! :)wave:)
I was looking through the screenshots and they made me smile. Hahahaha!
It's got kind of a Earthbound or Pokemon feel to it. I suppose it'd be something good for Gameboy or other handheld, but not so much for computer or console video game. The graphics seem like they'd blur a little on any sort of a big screen.

My favorite part might be that Clown is a manager of a hotel of some sort. The randomness of that is grand.

If I don't find someone with mad crazy digital animation skills, my game might end up looking like that! o_O Hahaha...but I hope not.

I kind of put the idea aside for a month, but I picked up my notebook the other day and started flipping through it. I might have found a friend who actually is planning on going to get a degree in animation (of some sort) who is willing to let me bounce ideas off of her. Sometimes it helps having an actual, face-to-face, live person there, you know what I mean?

Currently, I don't know which is harder...getting the look and feel of the game world or getting the look and feel of the characters. Erg. Anyone have ideas where I oculd get some inspiration for either?

Upvote 0

jelly_bean

Jelly Inc.; we put the K in Kwality!
Oct 26, 2004
Flutopia
✟58,543.00
Faith
Christian
Oh man, that was too fun, jelly_bean! :)wave:)
I knew you'd appreciate it. :D
I was looking through the screenshots and they made me smile. Hahahaha!
Yeah, that game was a scream! Seriously, they were going for an FF2 thing, and everything, every icon, was stuff I had actually found on a free-image website. So that was hilarious seeing how they encorporated the WEIRDEST images into that game.
It's got kind of a Earthbound or Pokemon feel to it. I suppose it'd be something good for Gameboy or other handheld, but not so much for computer or console video game. The graphics seem like they'd blur a little on any sort of a big screen.
Oh, yeah. It was a terribly cute but not well done game. I don't think it's really going to be a big hit.
My favorite part might be that Clown is a manager of a hotel of some sort. The randomness of that is grand.
Oh yeah. :p And the "witch", Esther, casts "Meteor" and "Litng" and stuff. ;)
If I don't find someone with mad crazy digital animation skills, my game might end up looking like that! o_O Hahaha...but I hope not.
Nooooooooo, no. Only if you're on a no-budget scores-of-time kind of schedule will you make a game like that. If I had the patience, *I* could make that game.
I kind of put the idea aside for a month, but I picked up my notebook the other day and started flipping through it. I might have found a friend who actually is planning on going to get a degree in animation (of some sort) who is willing to let me bounce ideas off of her. Sometimes it helps having an actual, face-to-face, live person there, you know what I mean?
Definitely. Will be loads better than trying to make a game yourself--because truly, that game is quite nice for a homemade game. If you google "game maker" and look at their downloadable games... it's a hoot. :D
Currently, I don't know which is harder...getting the look and feel of the game world or getting the look and feel of the characters. Erg. Anyone have ideas where I oculd get some inspiration for either?
Why don't you just write a basic story? And all the while get a general feel of the surroundings. Because basically, if you want an RPG, that's what it is, with fighting in it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FireRock

Aug 23, 2004
Kansas City, Missouri
✟20,744.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thanks, NavyGuy! You know, I was toying with the idea of having riddles and puzzles to be solved, but (a) I thought it'd end up getting too complicated with everything else I wanted in the game and (b) I have no clue what kind of riddles and puzzles to use without it being cheesy.

Boy: "Okay, we have to answer this question right or the bad guys are going to get us!"
Girl: "Right, bring it on."
Boy flips open card and on it reads a question like, "Who built the ark?" or What did Jesus turn the water into at the wedding?"
Girl: "Um, okay. That's the real question?"
Boy: "Uh, yeah, I guess that's it."
Girl: "Thanks, bro. You made me think my life was in danger or something. Dork."
Boy: "Yep, guessing these bad guys aren't going to be too hard. I've got a Coke saying the players beat this game in less than four hours."
Girl: "That be the stupidest bet ever. Besides, we're part of a christian game. We don't bet."
Boy: "Oops."

Okay, so I let my imagination go a little on those last few lines. :p

I picked this up again a couple of weeks ago, and currently I'm trying to figure out the look of the fight scenes and how the main characters can call on different things like 'prayer' or 'angelic help' or 'wisdom' or whatever I decide to call the good guys' weapons.

*sigh* It'd be so much easier if they could just beat the snot out of the bad guys with a stick or something. Pretty sure it be too violent for some parents and big wigs though. :)

I do like your idea for something almost like a maze, NavyGuy. It'd be especially interesting for two-player gameplay. Maybe I can work it into certain buildings that the main characters have to go into. Hmmm...

Upvote 0

FireRock

Aug 23, 2004
Kansas City, Missouri
✟20,744.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Oh my goodness. I haven't looked at this game in...almost 5 years now. :(

I know where I kept it too. I should dig that up and see if I can do anything with it. I know a couple/few people now who like to make video games, so I could get some technical help. :)

Upvote 0