Vestments

bliz5

Jan 28, 2011
✟15,190.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Most of us wear specific clothing because of what we'll be doing - when it's raining, we wear a raincoat, when we're hiking, we wear sturdy shoes, when we celebrate a special ocasssion, we wear our best, whether that means "right side out" or formal attire.

What's wrong with wearing somethng different and special when preaching and conducting worship?

Which is not to mention the marvolous symbolism of each part of the vestment...

Upvote 0
P

Phleboto

Because when it's the preacher standing in front of the congregation such clothing sets him apart as someone special, someone to be "revered" (e.g. the title "reverend" etc.). That's not at all seemly for one who's task is fundamentally no more significant than anyone else in the body with talents/gifts for the edification of the body.

I think it would be quite difficult to come up with a case for such vestments if one were to use Jesus as an example, who's primary activities were preaching and teaching. He dressed like everyone else. He didn't don purple robes, save for the one He was dressed in prior to His crucifixion - and that not of His own doing.

I see no case for vestments in how Paul dressed, how Timothy dressed, how Peter dressed, how Barnabas dressed, how Stephen dressed. As I said, the very notion is unseemly.

I don't think comparing vestments with rainwear, formal wear, or whatever is either logical or germane to the issue. It's not "dressing for the occasion" or "dressing for the weather;" it's dressing for appearance, to set one apart, to single one out...

Upvote 0

Thedictator

Retired Coach, Now Missionary to the World
Mar 21, 2010
Northeast Texas
✟50,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Because when it's the preacher standing in front of the congregation such clothing sets him apart as someone special, someone to be "revered" (e.g. the title "reverend" etc.). That's not at all seemly for one who's task is fundamentally no more significant than anyone else in the body with talents/gifts for the edification of the body.

I think it would be quite difficult to come up with a case for such vestments if one were to use Jesus as an example, who's primary activities were preaching and teaching. He dressed like everyone else. He didn't don purple robes, save for the one He was dressed in prior to His crucifixion - and that not of His own doing.

I see no case for vestments in how Paul dressed, how Timothy dressed, how Peter dressed, how Barnabas dressed, how Stephen dressed. As I said, the very notion is unseemly.

I don't think comparing vestments with rainwear, formal wear, or whatever is either logical or germane to the issue. It's not "dressing for the occasion" or "dressing for the weather;" it's dressing for appearance, to set one apart, to single one out...

Well done. I agree. :liturgy:

Upvote 0

No Swansong

Formerly Jtbdad Christian on every board!
Apr 14, 2004
Ohio
✟28,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Where is this pastor's church located - what is its name? Just curious - never heard of such a thing.

It's in Cincinnati Ohio, I was visiting simply because I was in town for a Reds game I have no clue what his or the Church's name is. I just asked for a Church recommendation from an employee at the Hotel. I take it from your comment that this is an unusual practice in the COC's.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums