light
Feb 16, 2017
spain
✟15,341.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I want to make an appointment, and it is how to help some friends who are going through some very painful life tests.

In the early days of September his fifth son of 20 years was diagnosed as bipolar. In the middle of the month, a 4-year-old grandson of spina bifida closed, and at the end of the month the father of that child, the eldest son of my friends died in a car accident.

The pain can not be harder, but it does not end there, yesterday my friend told me that the cough that we all believed was nervous about her husband, our friend, is something more and that there is already a biopsy.

When she left home, my friend asked me if I knew why these very painful tests are happening to her, and to pray for them all. In a while we will be with them again at lunchtime, they are practicing Catholics, people so far of great faith.

I know that everything comes from the Light, and that this is always there, no matter what happens. Is there anything else we can do for them?

My site: Judaism - Judaism ethic and morality, jewish people

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Personally, I think it is a mistake to think of these things in terms of "why". Therein lies the path to madness.

It is better to just do the best you can and endure.

Also, one of the best pieces of advice I ever got concerning helping friends through a tragedy is that the best way to help is to do things for them.

The mistake a lot of people make when tragedy strikes is to "offer" to help. People will say, "If there is ever anything you need just call me."

The problem with that is you are putting the onus on someone who is most likely depressed, and when we are depressed we shut down and withdraw and are less likely to ask for help.

It is much much better to just volunteer and act. Show up to their house and clean their house for them despite their protests. Show up and cook dinner. Go visit them and even if you don't talk just sit with them and watch TV and be there. If there are errands that need to be done, do those errands. Don't offer to do them, DO THEM.

99 times out of a 100 they will be grateful.

Upvote 0

CherubRam

Dec 21, 2012
✟103,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
God created the concept of both, good and evil.

Ecclesiastes 7:14

When times are good, be happy; but when times are bad, consider this: God has made the one as well as the other. Therefore, no one can discover anything about their future.

Ecclesiastes 9:2

All share a common destiny—the righteous and the wicked, the good and the bad, the clean and the unclean, those who offer sacrifices and those who do not. As it is with the good, so with the sinful; as it is with those who take oaths, so with those who are afraid to take them.

Upvote 0

Na Nach Oi!

Embracing paradoxical thinking
Dec 4, 2016
Earth
✟55,404.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I want to make an appointment, and it is how to help some friends who are going through some very painful life tests.

In the early days of September his fifth son of 20 years was diagnosed as bipolar. In the middle of the month, a 4-year-old grandson of spina bifida closed, and at the end of the month the father of that child, the eldest son of my friends died in a car accident.

The pain can not be harder, but it does not end there, yesterday my friend told me that the cough that we all believed was nervous about her husband, our friend, is something more and that there is already a biopsy.

When she left home, my friend asked me if I knew why these very painful tests are happening to her, and to pray for them all. In a while we will be with them again at lunchtime, they are practicing Catholics, people so far of great faith.

I know that everything comes from the Light, and that this is always there, no matter what happens. Is there anything else we can do for them?

If your site is Jewish, but why is your selection of religious faith in CF "Atheism"?

Jewish atheist?

My comment regarding your post:

Birth defects could be explained well in natural point of view. The random mutation of the DNA gives contribution factor to this incident.

But, philosophically, it is would be very confusing if we look at this issue ("Problem of evil") from religious point of view.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
If your site is Jewish, but why is your selection of religious faith in CF "Atheism"?

Jewish atheist?

My comment regarding your post:

Birth defects could be explained well in natural point of view. The random mutation of the DNA gives contribution factor to this incident.

But, philosophically, it is would be very confusing if we look at this issue ("Problem of evil") from religious point of view.
If you didn't notice, he is wearing a "been there, done that" T-shirt.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate

In every life there is rain, but some people live in Seattle. I'm so sorry to hear about all this. One comfort is knowing we have a God who became man and suffered like we do, who was tortured and crucified for our sake, and so we know he cries when we cry.

I'm glad that you felt comfortable as a Jew and an atheist to post in this forum.

Upvote 0