Arlington
✟37,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
We are all saints, not just those the RC or EO say are saints.
Hmm. So you would seem to agree that "saints" in Scripture refers to people physically present on the Earth, like you and me.

Revelation 5:8 tells us that 24 elders in heaven hold bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints.

So how did the 24 elders in heaven come to obtain the prayers of people physically present on the Earth, in your opinion?

Upvote 0

One Of The Elect

May 26, 2017
Albany
✟20,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Forgive me, but I think I just view the text differently. Yes, Heaven is a Kingdom. Yes, the father is King. That is quite clear, and I do not think most Christians would disagree.

However, I feel that you are interpreting 1 Thessalonians differently than I. I believe the author was speaking about living people being over the other living people, not saints that had passed away being over the living. I think that where you are interpreting 5:12...... and are over you in the Lord you are interpreting it as ruling from Heaven to Earth? If so I just do not interpret it that way, and honestly have never heard it interpreted as such to support this stance.

Again, I repeat that I do not think it is wrong to pray to saints. I just think the evidence that they can hear us is not solid. Wrong? No. Right? Maybe. We just do not know.

Perhaps it is not for you to see. If you can not see the apostles are over the church that is your false interpretation. Interpret Rev 12 the way you want. And just because you haven't heard scripture interpreted this way - doesn't mean all the ways you have been indoctrinated to understand it -is right.
For me somethings are just elementary. The First to know, the first of Christ to teach. The first above all others?Seems simple enough for me.Before the apostles accounts of the birth of Christianity who were the teachers of it?

Upvote 0

One Of The Elect

May 26, 2017
Albany
✟20,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hmm. So you would seem to agree that "saints" in Scripture refers to people physically present on the Earth, like you and me.

Revelation 5:8 tells us that 24 elders in heaven hold bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints.

So how did the 24 elders in heaven come to obtain the prayers of people physically present on the Earth, in your opinion?
There are saints on earth and heaven. Your point is what? If you are addressing me,( One of the Elect.) I do not disagree that there are saints on earth, and in heaven. Your point?

Upvote 0

One Of The Elect

May 26, 2017
Albany
✟20,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Oh you are speaking to someone else. I read what you were replying to. I agree with you concerning Rev.5:8. God Bless!

• Friendly
Reactions: PeaceB
Upvote 0

PeaceB

Apr 20, 2017
Arlington
✟37,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
There are saints on earth and heaven. Your point is what? If you are addressing me,( One of the Elect.) I do not disagree that there are saints on earth, and in heaven. Your point?
I was not addressing you.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Perhaps it is not for you to see.
But it is for you to teach as the only right interpretation?
If you can not see the apostles are over the church that is your false interpretation.
So my interpretation is false but yours must be truth? Aside from a few verses, that are easily interpreted otherwise, you have not been able to add to your interpretation. Scripture interprets scripture, that is an elementary rule in scripture research.
And just because you haven't heard scripture interpreted this way - doesn't mean all the ways you have been indoctrinated to understand it -is right.
I can absolutely agree that just because I have not heard something before does not mean it is not correct. However, in this case I am actually not saying you are wrong, just that I disagree with your interpretation. Being wrong or right is not actually what I am saying. I simply am saying that I (and most other people, apparently) interpret it differently and do not agree - but that does not mean you are wrong. Finally, I am not sure why you are debating me so hard on this....I actually agree that it is not wrong to pray to the saints. Just that the scriptural evidence for it is scant.

Upvote 0

One Of The Elect

May 26, 2017
Albany
✟20,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But it is for you to teach as the only right interpretation?

So my interpretation is false but yours must be truth? Aside from a few verses, that are easily interpreted otherwise, you have not been able to add to your interpretation. Scripture interprets scripture, that is an elementary rule in scripture research.

I can absolutely agree that just because I have not heard something before does not mean it is not correct. However, in this case I am actually not saying you are wrong, just that I disagree with your interpretation. Being wrong or right is not actually what I am saying. I simply am saying that I (and most other people, apparently) interpret it differently and do not agree - but that does not mean you are wrong. Finally, I am not sure why you are debating me so hard on this....I actually agree that it is not wrong to pray to the saints. Just that the scriptural evidence for it is scant.

"Let what you say be simply ,'Yes or No'; anything more than this comes from evil"- (Matthew5:37)
I have to give a shout out to Peace B who is Catholic and can understand this truth- she put the case to rest with Rev.5:8. God Bless! The Saints in heaven hear the prayers of the saints on earth. And if the apostles are not over the church body and should not be venerated- who are we getting our scriptural quotes from? I am either right or wrong?

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Its symbolic language.

Upvote 0

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Its symbolic language.

Yep. I always find it a bit inconsistent that some folks want to point to Rev 5:8 as a dictate to pray to saints and Mary (which it isn't) while ignoring the fact that Jesus taught us to pray to only God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yep. I always find it a bit inconsistent that some folks want to point to Rev 5:8 as a dictate to pray to saints and Mary (which it isn't) while ignoring the fact that Jesus taught us to pray to only God.
Agreed.

• Agree
Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"Let what you say be simply ,'Yes or No'; anything more than this comes from evil"- (Matthew5:37)
I have to give a shout out to Peace B who is Catholic and can understand this truth- she put the case to rest with Rev.5:8. God Bless! The Saints in heaven hear the prayers of the saints on earth. And if the apostles are not over the church body and should not be venerated- who are we getting our scriptural quotes from? I am either right or wrong?

If we say scripture only has one interpretation we are going to run into some problems very fast, especially in regards to prophecies of Yeshua from the Jewish scriptures where many of the prophecies have several interpretations and have been fulfilled in more than one way. The sages throughout the history of Christianity and Judaism have taught that scripture can be interpreted in multiple ways, often. For what it's worth, I also do not interpret Rev 5:8 the same as you...but rather as the saints in Heaven are bringing prayers of their own, some say the prayers of the martyrs to be avenged, the matters spoken of in Rev. 6:10.

But again, I still don't see anything in scripture against praying to the saints; so we agree on that. But I just don't think that we are going to agree on the other scripture mentioned, even though I am happy to admit your interpretation could be correct, even if it is not the only truth.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I hear you throwing words at things, yet you convey no meaning.
I dont need to follow RC fairy tales obased on Revelation. Truth is no one can tell you what revelation means. They will give you one of many opposing views

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,750,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
MOD HAT

This thread has had a clean up. Please keep the following rules in mind:
Flaming and Goading
  • Please treat all members with respect and courtesy through civil dialogue.
  • Do not personally attack (insult, belittle, mock, ridicule) other members or groups of members on CF. Address only the content of the post and not the poster.
  • NO Goading. This includes images, cartoons, smileys or post ratings which are clearly meant to goad. Quoting and then editing another members post to change the original meaning, commonly referred to as "fixed it for you" (FIFY), is considered goading.
  • Offensive derogatory nicknames and egregious inflammatory comments about public figures may be considered goading.
  • Stating or implying that another Christian member, or group of members, are not Christian is not allowed.
  • If you are flamed, do not respond in-kind. Alert staff to the situation by utilizing the report button.

Congregational Forum Restrictions
Members who do not truly share the core beliefs and teachings of a specific congregational forum may post in fellowship or ask questions, but they may not teach or debate within the forum.​

The core beliefs of Non-denominational Christians can be found in the
Non-denominational Statement of Faith.

Also, as this topic is not one held commonly by most Non-denominational Christians, the thread is being closed to prevent further issues.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.