The Wild West
✟476,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I would like to see Pope Benedict XVI, requiscat in pace, memory eternal, be glorified as a saint. Until the RCC officially beatifies and canonizes him, what are the rules concerning his veneration? For example, are Roman Catholics allowed to refer to people not officially canonized or in the Martyrology or the synaxaria of the Eastern Catholic churches as saints? Also, is there any group yet formed lobbying for his canonization, and what would be required for that?

SashaMaria

He is risen! Alleluia!
Jun 23, 2018
East coast
✟204,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I think we can and have asked Benedict on occasion to pray for us and for the Church.

That said, I really don’t know what the Church teaches, so I looked it up. It’s difficult to find a straight yes or no answer. However, this article from the Catholic Stand says yes, we can:

If you’re curious, here’s the formal process for canonization. There’s a 5 year wait after death before the formal process can begin:

The Process of Beatification and Canonization | EWTN

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I would like to see Pope Benedict XVI, requiscat in pace, memory eternal, be glorified as a saint. Until the RCC officially beatifies and canonizes him, what are the rules concerning his veneration? For example, are Roman Catholics allowed to refer to people not officially canonized or in the Martyrology or the synaxaria of the Eastern Catholic churches as saints? Also, is there any group yet formed lobbying for his canonization, and what would be required for that?
One can privately consider such a person a saint. It can't be part of any public liturgy unless and until the bishop of that place declares the person a candidate for sainthood.

My old parish venerated Solanus Casey a bit early on, but privately and powerfully. Now he is venerable and it is public. We have an icon of him and it's all open and allowed. He grew up and was confirmed in our parish at the existing high altar.

The risk of venerating someone too soon is that just perhaps they aren't at all worthy of it. One does not want to be asking for the intercession of demons by being too hasty. The old African proverb is that slowly slowly you move to catch the monkey. Catholicism acts, or it should at least, in centuries.

As to pope Benedict, I am convinced he will be recognized as a saint and as a doctor of the Church. (The one thing I have against him is that by resigning we got pope Francis.) But I'm willing for that process to take a hundred years. In the mean time I can carefully privately consider him a saint right now. Maybe you could include him in your private liturgies. Probably just not public liturgies. Not yet.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,011.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A good example is the faithful that pray to those passed on for a particular need. Then receive some sort of miracle. Get enough of those and you can get a cause started so the Vatican can investigate it. That’s how it all begins. People praying to those in the Church that are still alive in Christ before canonization.

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
A good example is the faithful that pray to those passed on for a particular need. Then receive some sort of miracle. Get enough of those and you can get a cause started so the Vatican can investigate it. That’s how it all begins. People praying to those in the Church that are still alive in Christ before canonization.

Indeed I do know of that. Unfortunately I don’t know if they would take the word of an Orthodox Christian, although they might, they are more likely to accept our reports of miracles than of any other people not in formal communion with the Pope.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
I think we can and have asked Benedict on occasion to pray for us and for the Church.

That said, I really don’t know what the Church teaches, so I looked it up. It’s difficult to find a straight yes or no answer. However, this article from the Catholic Stand says yes, we can:

If you’re curious, here’s the formal process for canonization. There’s a 5 year wait after death before the formal process can begin:

The Process of Beatification and Canonization | EWTN

The funny thing is the Orthodox lack a formal process, but there is an informal one. Once someone is glorified, a final Pannikhida or requiem / memorial service will be held for them followed by the first liturgy celebrating their sainthood.

If someone is martyred we consider them saints instantly and automatically.

Note I am not saying our approach is better, your approach is certainly more careful and thorough, which is why I advocate simply merging your martyrology with our synaxarion (the equivalent) when our two churches reunite.

Upvote 0