Servant
Aug 30, 2006
Minnesota
✟37,552.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I am NOT “putting myself as judge and juror…” I am saying what is better and what is worse. This is not to be taken as forbidding the use of things like VT, but merely a recognition of their inferiority to the original stories (regarding Biblical adaptations). Now vegetables have been used to tell worthwhile children’s tales before – Chippolino by Gianni Rodari, for quote]

Chippolino is awesome!

Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,570.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
We're coming from extraordinarily different points of view. For this reason, I doubt that we will be able to agree on some things. You're not Orthodox, I am, and the worldviews differ considerably (although I was raised Baptist and led an agnostic adulthood). It would take hours, if not years, to qualify all of my statements in a way that you would understand. So I will henceforth drop it.

One note on verifiable facts:
I lived in Master Hugh's family about seven years. During this time, I succeeded in learning to read and write. In accomplishing this, I was compelled to resort to various stratagems. I had no regular teacher.
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/23/23-h/23-h.htm
The text goes on to say that he got aid from white boys from time to time in learning to read. My overall point is that everything else he did himself., and he made educating himself, without being forced to go to a school or do homework, a strong personal goal.

FWIW, I am in my 14th year of teaching, so have a good deal of experience with teaching methods and applying them with people of all ages and ability levels. The most important method is teaching people to teach themselves.

Perusing this thread might make a little progress toward explaining where i am coming from:
http://christianforums.com/showthread.php?t=6072877

Upvote 0

darkshadow

Aug 20, 2008
Here
✟15,566.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
We're coming from extraordinarily different points of view. For this reason, I doubt that we will be able to agree on some things. You're not Orthodox, I am, and the worldviews differ considerably (although I was raised Baptist and led an agnostic adulthood). It would take hours, if not years, to qualify all of my statements in a way that you would understand. So I will henceforth drop it.

I believe we are both at a point were we can agree to disagree. I also believe that if we both took a step back we agree more then we persevere. It has been a pleasure though. I have learn from the experience which is always a good thing. May life treat you kind.

Upvote 0

joyfulthanks

The long day is over. Praise the Lord!
May 4, 2005
✟5,769.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Interesting you should ask about this. Frederica Matthewes-Green has an article in this month's Touchstone Magazine about this very thing. It's called "Lettuce Worship, Bible Lessons for the Disney Generation."

It seems she has some involvement with BigIdea, the originators of Veggie Tales. She seems to be conflicted about whether or not such entertainment is a good thing, seeing both potential positives and negatives. The article ends with the line, "I admit it, we're in a quandry here, and I don't know the best way out."

It seems that the issue of whether or things like Veggie Tales are ultimately good things is a difficult issue for many to resolve in their minds.

Upvote 0

rusmeister

Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,570.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Interesting you should ask about this. Frederica Matthewes-Green has an article in this month's Touchstone Magazine about this very thing. It's called "Lettuce Worship, Bible Lessons for the Disney Generation."

It seems she has some involvement with BigIdea, the originators of Veggie Tales. She seems to be conflicted about whether or not such entertainment is a good thing, seeing both potential positives and negatives. The article ends with the line, "I admit it, we're in a quandry here, and I don't know the best way out."

It seems that the issue of whether or things like Veggie Tales are ultimately good things is a difficult issue for many to resolve in their minds.

Not as a comment on VT or that particular article (which is not available online), but Frederica M-G has lost points with me over the last year. It started with her review of "Enchanted" and kind of expanded from there. In extreme short, her analyses are really secular and seem to show an inordinate tolerance for the indecency that is standard fare in Hollywood now. It seems like an inability to recognize just how alien the mentality of the modern world is to traditional Christianity - this is what I have learned over the past few years from Lewis and Chesterton, and I don't see that she has learned a lot of those things. (I'm stressing "seems" here). Plus, (my opinion) it can't be good for you to be a professional movie reviewer and expose yourself to all kinds of c-r-*-p for the sake of reporting on it.

I'd say I appreciate that an Orthodox writer is writing something, but no longer assume that her opinions are of particular interest just because she's Orthodox.

All that said, I think what she has written on feminism, the sexes and Orthodoxy to be great stuff - she really does know what she's talking about when it comes to that.

On her VT article - I'd be curious as to what her involvement with Big Idea is. It could color the significance of her article about VT.

Upvote 0

joyfulthanks

The long day is over. Praise the Lord!
May 4, 2005
✟5,769.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
rusmeister,

Before I posted, I looked for a link to that article, but, as you said, there was none available. I think you pretty much have to wait a few months until it goes into the archives.

From what I can tell from the article, her involvement with Veggie Tales was originally in some kind of consulting capacity. She said that they asked her advice on whether to expand into a different media. She was also apparently involved over the course of a year with a project they were working on, which she eventually said "no" to. She also said that at some point, there was some talk of her suitablity to do the voice of an eggplant. That's all I can tell from the article.

Upvote 0

gracefullamb

Apr 2, 2006
✟17,278.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
On Frederica Mathewes-Green's website there is an article titled Lettuce Pray. I am not sure if that is the entire article since I have not read the Touchstone Magazine, but it does reference being printed in the magazine. If you just type in the article title in the search engine on her website it comes up.

Upvote 0

rusmeister

Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,570.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
On Frederica Mathewes-Green's website there is an article titled Lettuce Pray. I am not sure if that is the entire article since I have not read the Touchstone Magazine, but it does reference being printed in the magazine. If you just type in the article title in the search engine on her website it comes up.
Thanks!
http://www.frederica.com/writings/lettuce-pray.html

She got some points back with me. The article addresses the concerns I have been expressing here.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.