Canada
✟4,397.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I read a good (secular) book on this subject once called "Amusing Ourselves To Death". It had a lot to do with adult society, but the author also argued that when you try to make everything entertaining, including important things like education, kids will grow up with the idea that life is meant to be entertaining, and anything not entertaining is not important, therefore anything un-entertaining is not worth attending to. The fact is most of the important things we will do in life are simply not entertaining.
This is sooo true. I can see it in myself as well as in others. My mind has been so spoiled by entertainment that I struggle to read anything non-fiction. Not that there's anything wrong with fiction, I'm just saying that anything that doesn't entertain my mind by capturing my imagination ends up putting me to sleep. It's sad. I hope to overcome this someday, and also prevent my children from developing this same problem.:pray:

Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟437,452.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thanks, Chesterton. yeah, I'd like to read that book.

DS, I feel you did not understand my point at all. I am not engaging in an all-out condemnation of people who use "Veggie Tales" - I was merely trying to point out that it is VERY odd that for 2000 years, children should have had no need for such recasting of the stories - until now. The thing you have to do is explain, why, for that 2,000 years, parents did not resort to vegetables or other expedients to tell Bible stories. And your reference to the donkey and living water simply has nothing to do with the essence of "Veggie tales". The donkey did not tell Balaam a Bible story. The living water did not speak Bible stories with its musical voice. Jesus never said, "and the fox said to the donkey...", let alone "and the tomato said to the celery..."

Hopefully, you'll understand what I'm trying to say and consider it. It is not intended to say you should ban "Veggie tales". It is intended to get you to think on how our generation differs from all previous generations. I think Chesterton hit the nail on the head.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟834,009.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Hi everyone,

In our Sunday School, we teach from the Bible, but occasionally us Vegi Tails afterwords.

Since we started doing this, Pastor has told us that by the time the kids are in Catechism Class (12 years old) they have a better knowledge of the Bible than they had a few years previous.

It seems to be working for us.

Upvote 0

darkshadow

Aug 20, 2008
Here
✟15,566.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thanks, Chesterton. yeah, I'd like to read that book.

DS, I feel you did not understand my point at all. I am not engaging in an all-out condemnation of people who use "Veggie Tales" - I was merely trying to point out that it is VERY odd that for 2000 years, children should have had no need for such recasting of the stories - until now. The thing you have to do is explain, why, for that 2,000 years, parents did not resort to vegetables or other expedients to tell Bible stories. And your reference to the donkey and living water simply has nothing to do with the essence of "Veggie tales". The donkey did not tell Balaam a Bible story. The living water did not speak Bible stories with its musical voice. Jesus never said, "and the fox said to the donkey...", let alone "and the tomato said to the celery..."

You missed my point I believe. Just like the veggie tales stories, Christ himself used stories to get a point across. He used stories that might have been true or not to show the people what they could not understand in the Scriptures. So the makers of veggie tales use figures and stories for children to show God's message to the world. We must remember these are not videos shown instead of the preaching on Sunday morning to the adults, but children who have a very low attention span.

Hopefully, you'll understand what I'm trying to say and consider it. It is not intended to say you should ban "Veggie tales". It is intended to get you to think on how our generation differs from all previous generations. I think Chesterton hit the nail on the head.

The main difference between society now and then is 2,000 years ago there was not the technology we have now. Also none of were there then to know what parents used to get a point across to there children. If you look at our grandparents and parents, they did not have what we have, so they used different teaching methods. They had the old cloth figures that never stuck on the boards to tell a story. The world today had all the flashing lights and gimmicks to get our children away from God, we have taken it to show them God. We did the same thing with Christmas, took a world thing and turned it into a Godly thing. That is my point. You honestly believe that if the parents of 2,000 years ago had had our technology they would not have used it.

I would also have to disagree with "Amusing Ourselves To Death" to a point or at least the authors theology. Using technology to teach can be a good thing if done right. What I mean is, you teach your children at the approriate age level by what means available. Closer to Christman me and my wife will be setting with our 12 year old to watch "The Passion Of The Christ". He knows and believes that Jesus died for his sins, and arose from the dead. He has heard and read the Biblical accounts, however by using this movie, which is an excellent depiction of how Christ was tourchered for us, he will be able to fully grasp what Jesus went through for us. My 6 year old, however is unable to grasp the true meaning of Christ's death and will not even be home when it is watched. He believes Jesus died and came back to life as much as someone with his limited mind set can. He has watched Veggie tales and know not to lie, not because a big purple alien will get larger and get him. So he has to call a crime fighting cucumber to save him. No he knows because after seeing the show and us taking the time to know what he is watching, talked to him about lieing. We used the concepts from the show in our talk, and he will tell you not to lie, because God and Jesus do not like it when you lie. We did not leave it to just a show to teach him, but we used the show too. There are however, a lot of children unfortuatly that seeing a veggie tales cartoon on TV is the only moral influence they will get.

You also might want to look into the author and his beliefs, and influences.

Upvote 0

Josiah14

Make your sole goal acquisition of the Holy Spirit
Aug 12, 2008
United States of America
✟16,224.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The traditional way seems to have worked wonderfully in the past. I think of Elder Paisios who, as a child, loved to take walks in the woods to pray. Why change what already works? Certainly if children could grasp the Biblical stories and, more importantly, their message before there was television and computers, they can do it today also.

Sure, VeggieTales might be able to offer some watered down version of the Gospel, but why offer that when you can give them something richer from the Orthodox Tradition?

I'm not parent, so that is to my discredit. But if you will suffer to listen to the opinions of an outside observer, children raised in more traditional homes where there is less use of modern media like television and more use of traditional literature and liturgical oral tradition tend to be much calmer and more mature. I think the silliness in childrens videos, goofy song recordings, and such similar things somehow cultivates a more chaotic spirit of impulsiveness and giddiness that can distract the thoughts of an individual away from God.

Thats my 2 cents. I certainly do not consider myself to be any sort of authority in these matters.

Forgive me, a sinner,
Josiah

Last edited:
Reactions: joyfulthanks
Upvote 0

rusmeister

Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟437,452.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
You missed my point I believe. Just like the veggie tales stories, Christ himself used stories to get a point across. He used stories that might have been true or not to show the people what they could not understand in the Scriptures. So the makers of veggie tales use figures and stories for children to show God's message to the world. We must remember these are not videos shown instead of the preaching on Sunday morning to the adults, but children who have a very low attention span.

Unfortunately, no, I did not miss your point at all. I fully understand yours; you do not understand mine at all. Perhaps a third person could paraphrase what i am saying...?

Tales and stories have always been used - there is no distinction there. The purpose of personification, though is very specific - and it is something that Christ did not engage in at all. He did use parables, but parables are not personification. The personification of the inanimate is limited to fairy tales, and when it is used, it is extraordinary - as it should be. It is never the ordinary, and certainly, until now, has never been used to RE-TELL ALREADY EXISTING STORIES.

But again, if you do not understand that, I don't know how to talk to you.

The main difference between society now and then is 2,000 years ago there was not the technology we have now. Also none of were there then to know what parents used to get a point across to there children. If you look at our grandparents and parents, they did not have what we have, so they used different teaching methods. They had the old cloth figures that never stuck on the boards to tell a story. The world today had all the flashing lights and gimmicks to get our children away from God, we have taken it to show them God. We did the same thing with Christmas, took a world thing and turned it into a Godly thing. That is my point. You honestly believe that if the parents of 2,000 years ago had had our technology they would not have used it.

I would also have to disagree with "Amusing Ourselves To Death" to a point or at least the authors theology. Using technology to teach can be a good thing if done right. What I mean is, you teach your children at the appropriate age level by what means available. Closer to Christmas me and my wife will be setting with our 12 year old to watch "The Passion Of The Christ". He knows and believes that Jesus died for his sins, and arose from the dead. He has heard and read the Biblical accounts, however by using this movie, which is an excellent depiction of how Christ was tortured for us, he will be able to fully grasp what Jesus went through for us. My 6 year old, however is unable to grasp the true meaning of Christ's death and will not even be home when it is watched. He believes Jesus died and came back to life as much as someone with his limited mind set can. He has watched Veggie tales and know not to lie, not because a big purple alien will get larger and get him. So he has to call a crime fighting cucumber to save him. No he knows because after seeing the show and us taking the time to know what he is watching, talked to him about lying. We used the concepts from the show in our talk, and he will tell you not to lie, because God and Jesus do not like it when you lie. We did not leave it to just a show to teach him, but we used the show too. There are however, a lot of children unfortuatly that seeing a veggie tales cartoon on TV is the only moral influence they will get.

You also might want to look into the author and his beliefs, and influences.
I'm trying to think how to charitably respond - please forgive me where I fail!
Please forgive me, but your first two sentences are rather inaccurate. Technology is a difference, but it is surely the least important difference - if anything, technology is anti-democratic and works to benefit those who have it and not all of humanity.

Also, we have quite enough history to know exactly what was used to get messages across to children. They were called "stories" and were contained (for a few centuries at least) in paper things called "books", and before that were orally handed down, generation after generation. Books are also a form of technology which nobody rejects. The issue is not technology at all, but the incredibly inept use of it. So no, I do not object to the use of technology and favor the "Christianization" of all that is worthwhile. Thus, "Veggie Tales", while being a case of dumbing down, are not contemptible as wrong or falsehood.

Thus, it seems to me that you completely misunderstand the point of "Amusing Ourselves To Death", seeing in it a non-existent attack on technology, when it is all about the use to which we have put technology, to where our children are incapable of absorbing things that were no trouble throughout human history, because we do not insist on a higher standard.

Again, I agree that most children, being surrounded by the drivel that they are, and schooled in public schools where they are excoriated if they do not share in the drivel, find it next to impossible to sit down and listen to the story of "David and Goliath" as a tale with the characters as, uh, what they sort of actually were...uh, human. But can't you see how that is a failure of our generation???

(Oh, I do so agree on knowing the beliefs and influences of an author, btw!)

Upvote 0

darkshadow

Aug 20, 2008
Here
✟15,566.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Unfortunately, no, I did not miss your point at all. I fully understand yours; you do not understand mine at all. Perhaps a third person could paraphrase what i am saying...?

Tales and stories have always been used - there is no distinction there. The purpose of personification, though is very specific - and it is something that Christ did not engage in at all. He did use parables, but parables are not personification. The personification of the inanimate is limited to fairy tales, and when it is used, it is extraordinary - as it should be. It is never the ordinary, and certainly, until now, has never been used to RE-TELL ALREADY EXISTING STORIES.

But again, if you do not understand that, I don't know how to talk to you.

I'm trying to think how to charitably respond - please forgive me where I fail!
Please forgive me, but your first two sentences are rather inaccurate. Technology is a difference, but it is surely the least important difference - if anything, technology is anti-democratic and works to benefit those who have it and not all of humanity.

Also, we have quite enough history to know exactly what was used to get messages across to children. They were called "stories" and were contained (for a few centuries at least) in paper things called "books", and before that were orally handed down, generation after generation. Books are also a form of technology which nobody rejects. The issue is not technology at all, but the incredibly inept use of it. So no, I do not object to the use of technology and favor the "Christianization" of all that is worthwhile. Thus, "Veggie Tales", while being a case of dumbing down, are not contemptible as wrong or falsehood.

Thus, it seems to me that you completely misunderstand the point of "Amusing Ourselves To Death", seeing in it a non-existent attack on technology, when it is all about the use to which we have put technology, to where our children are incapable of absorbing things that were no trouble throughout human history, because we do not insist on a higher standard.

Again, I agree that most children, being surrounded by the drivel that they are, and schooled in public schools where they are excoriated if they do not share in the drivel, find it next to impossible to sit down and listen to the story of "David and Goliath" as a tale with the characters as, uh, what they sort of actually were...uh, human. But can't you see how that is a failure of our generation???

(Oh, I do so agree on knowing the beliefs and influences of an author, btw!)

First off I do respect you for having your opinion, however I did feel that you were trying to talk down to me in a superior attitude. I do not believe that was your intention and therefore let it go. In saying this, there as stated before, only a handful of the Veggie-Tales stories that are from biblical stories, most are stories with a biblical principle and value.
There is a complete list of the episodes on Wikipedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VeggieTales

You said, "....technology is anti-democratic and works to benefit those who have it and not all of humanity." I would have to disagree with this statement on the principle of modern medicine and the leaps in life saving apparatus that are used on all people and available to all. If a government will not use that technology for its people that is not technologies fault, but the governments. Like all things it can be taken to far, but some have even done that with God. I am not nor have I ever said, "Put a video in and let the kid learn that way." What I have said is use it as a tool to teach. I am sure that some will disagree but most of the biblical stories are not about the person anyways, they are about God's plan. What God can do if you have faith in him. What he want to do for us if we just ask. The story of "David and Goliath" could have been "John and Ted" and still have the same message. It can be portrayed, for children not adults, as an Asparagus and giant Pickle and have the same principles that with faith in God all things are possible. Should you teach the child the actual story and those really involved? Absolutely! It is quite important for children to know the true stories. If it takes a vegetable to get a point across to a young child so let it be, as long as the intent of the story is not being removed use it. You, not you personally but in general, are going to be doing more harm to a child by limiting the way they are able to learn something then exploring new tools and areas of education. Again I do respect your opinion and you have the right to it.

This will be my last post on this subject since I believe we are starting to go were the OP asked us not to go.
"Please no debate - I just want to hear some opinions." - Kristos

Upvote 0

heart of peace

Aug 12, 2015
✟10,802.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Wow, so many varying opinions on such a simple and positive video. I agree with Gwenyfur, balance/moderation is the key here as it is in everything. Watching a Veggie Tale video does not mean one's child won't appreciate the more traditional approach..... never offering your child that aspect, however, does mean one's child won't appreciate it.

Reactions: darkshadow
Upvote 0

rusmeister

Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟437,452.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Wow, so many varying opinions on such a simple and positive video. I agree with Gwenyfur, balance/moderation is the key here as it is in everything. Watching a Veggie Tale video does not mean one's child won't appreciate the more traditional approach..... never offering your child that aspect, however, does mean one's child won't appreciate it.

Offering your child the more traditional approach will mean that they will get everything that they would get in a Veggie Tale video, and at a higher IQ level. Never mind that reading develops far more intellect, imagination and vocabulary than a video.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rusmeister

Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟437,452.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
DS - it's not a debate. Maybe it's a debate if you actually read what the other person says and try to understand it. I have read your statements and really understand them. You keep repeating your points, which I understand perfectly, and miss mine.

You are saying that because VTs have value as moral tales, they are worth giving to our children, and that you think the main difference between our generations and previous generations is technological. You speak about what we ought to do with children today.

The points that I make have nearly been missed altogether. I speak of the curious fact that no generation until now has required the biblical tales to be put into such an unusual format in order to make them palatable to children - and that that is exceedingly odd, and represents a lack of capability, an actual weakness of children today. It is the McDonaldization of our children - teaching them (allowing them to be taught) to like certain foods and certain entertainment (including edutainment), until they cannot or will not accept normal, traditional, healthy food, education or entertainment.

You haven't responded to that at all, so we can hardly talk about having a debate. I'm not trying to offend you or treat you in an inferior way - just trying to point out how we are failing to communicate, and if we fail to communicate, then we are just making noise; we are not arriving any closer at any truth.

Upvote 0

xenia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2004
Ultimate West
✟26,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If I categorize Veggie Tales with all cartoons, they come up pretty good because they are wholesome. If I categorize Veggie Tales with all Bible story presentations, they rank near the bottom. In other words, if my granddaughter wants to watch a "cartoon" and chooses Veggie Tales, I'm happy. If she wants to learn about the Bible, we choose something else. So for me, it depends on what category I use.

My problem with Veggie Tales (and similar things that have been around for decades) is it confuses kids about the supernatural world. As Christians, we believe in miracles. We believe in angels, talking a$$es, floating hammers, walking on water, etc. When efforts like Veggie Tales (and others) add yet another layer of false supernaturalness to already (in today's world) hard to believe stories, we can't be surprised if kids get confused. When they learn that Bob the Tomato isn't real, maybe they will doubt the truth of Bible miracles.

Love,
Xenia

Upvote 0

NyssaTheHobbit

Orthodox Christian (chrismation date 1/10/09)
May 24, 2006
Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
Visit site
✟9,617.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
VeggieTales are a lot of fun to watch, whether you're a child or an adult. One of my friends introduced me to it; he shows it to his kids all the time. Another friend loves it and doesn't even have kids. My little boy loves it. I love their silly sense of humor, especially the Barbara Manatee song. LOL

Upvote 0

Josiah14

Make your sole goal acquisition of the Holy Spirit
Aug 12, 2008
United States of America
✟16,224.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
so much for opinion only and no debate.

It's a forum. It was bound to happen eventually. Doesn't justify the debate though (though I use the word debate somewhat loosely since it seems some points being made are getting ignored or lost).

Upvote 0

Kristos

Servant
Aug 30, 2006
Minnesota
✟37,552.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Update:

FYI, in case you're interested/// I previewed the VT concerning Jericho and Gideon and decided not to use them. I did find a fairly good series for kids called "The Great Stories ever Told". They are not perfect, but I felt they were a good introduction that I can build on later. We watched the Joshua episode and the Samson episode.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

darkshadow

Aug 20, 2008
Here
✟15,566.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
DS - it's not a debate. Maybe it's a debate if you actually read what the other person says and try to understand it. I have read your statements and really understand them. You keep repeating your points, which I understand perfectly, and miss mine.

You are saying that because VTs have value as moral tales, they are worth giving to our children, and that you think the main difference between our generations and previous generations is technological. You speak about what we ought to do with children today.

The points that I make have nearly been missed altogether. I speak of the curious fact that no generation until now has required the biblical tales to be put into such an unusual format in order to make them palatable to children - and that that is exceedingly odd, and represents a lack of capability, an actual weakness of children today. It is the McDonaldization of our children - teaching them (allowing them to be taught) to like certain foods and certain entertainment (including edutainment), until they cannot or will not accept normal, traditional, healthy food, education or entertainment.

You haven't responded to that at all, so we can hardly talk about having a debate. I'm not trying to offend you or treat you in an inferior way - just trying to point out how we are failing to communicate, and if we fail to communicate, then we are just making noise; we are not arriving any closer at any truth.

You also keep saying the same thing and comparing apples to oranges. You want to keep going on and on about, "they never did it that way before", and "the stories were never told in a way like that before." How do you know? Are you really thousands of years old, that you know how ever parent explained taught throughout all the years? I understand that you are a traditionalist, and that is fine. I in fact, believe we are getting away from to much tradition, but to condemn something that is "different" is wrong. The only thing I am offended by in your statements saying that my children are being dumbed down. Some, I am not one, would say by limiting your children with ways of understanding a concept, you are limiting there thinking process and therefore, "dumbing" them down. If you want to teach your children in only traditional ways, that is entirely up to you, but do not ridicule and make yourself to be superior to those of us who are using every means we can to reach children, some as stated before, that do not have the priveledge of hearing the original stories. When Christ introduces new concepts to the Pharasees they persecuted and killed him. You are not going that far, but are still putting yourself as judge and juror as to what should and should not be used to teach the Word of God.
You said I said, "You are saying that because VTs have value as moral tales, they are worth giving to our children". You are darn right. Anything that teaches values and morals to are children is great. Believe it or not, we are at war. We are competing and fighting for every child out there against an enemy that has no heart or soul. An enemy that will introduce toddelers to sex, drugs, and "the good life". Churches have had to modernize, some not as well as others. Reading children a story in competintion with all the noise and lights is like those that throw rocks at the guys with machine guns, guess who is going to win everytime. Now I do agree with you, we are a "immediate gratification" society. We want it then not now, and that is a bad thing. Madison Ave. says, "buy this and you'll have lots of people that love you", so we go buy it. You speak of what you call the "McDonaldization of our children". As I stated I agree with you, but I have also said, that you should not just put your child in front of the TV and say, "watch this". You should tell them the stories, bedtime is always a good time for that with the young ones. Use all avaiable tools at your disposal. If your hammering a nail you don't use the screw driver in your hand, you put it down and grap a hammer. After they watch the video, say, "You know that show you watched well that was a story from the Bible" and read it to them. Explain what your reading and point out the meaning of the story. I have found that after children have watched the show they will listen better to the actual story. They are intreged and want to know more about David, or who ever the story was about. I hope that you can see that I am listening to you, but that I believe that you are missing something in what I am saying. I am not saying you are wrong for not showing a VT video, I am saying you are wrong to tell everyone who does use them that they are doing there children wrong. Both my children are the smartest in there class, both in school and at church. They have been in church since they were 3 days old. They have been taught by others and mostly by me, and I will always have words with anyone that trys to tear my children or any child down, because of there own personal beliefs.

Upvote 0

darkshadow

Aug 20, 2008
Here
✟15,566.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If I categorize Veggie Tales with all cartoons, they come up pretty good because they are wholesome. If I categorize Veggie Tales with all Bible story presentations, they rank near the bottom. In other words, if my granddaughter wants to watch a "cartoon" and chooses Veggie Tales, I'm happy. If she wants to learn about the Bible, we choose something else. So for me, it depends on what category I use.

My problem with Veggie Tales (and similar things that have been around for decades) is it confuses kids about the supernatural world. As Christians, we believe in miracles. We believe in angels, talking a$$es, floating hammers, walking on water, etc. When efforts like Veggie Tales (and others) add yet another layer of false supernaturalness to already (in today's world) hard to believe stories, we can't be surprised if kids get confused. When they learn that Bob the Tomato isn't real, maybe they will doubt the truth of Bible miracles.

Love,
Xenia

You make a great point about will they doubt the truth of the Bible. That is were I believe we as parents and grandparents have to make sure they understand.

Upvote 0

rusmeister

Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟437,452.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hi darkshadow,
I don’t at all wish to be offensive, nor am I saying that you are teaching your children to be stupid. Dumbing down is a general trend on a massive scale and I do not believe that any parent consciously works for their children to reach less than their best potential. I think we agree a little more than it may have seemed, and you have certainly misread me in taking my comments as an attempt to ‘tear down your children’.

Some possible misunderstandings that may remain -

I don’t need to have lived for thousands of years to know what happened thousands of years ago. I know what oral tradition is, I know when the printing press brought about large-scale reading, and what was transmitted and how it was transmitted is sufficiently well-documented that I can claim to know what life was like and what academic standards were before the modern age.

On “traditional ways” vs modern, technological ways, I agree that we should use the best tools at our disposal. But I do mean “the best”, and not “the mediocre”. Are you offering a serious argument that video and computer is superior in development of the imagination to reading? (I don’t really think so and we may agree – it just seems like your statements could lead to that conclusion)

I am NOT “putting myself as judge and juror…” I am saying what is better and what is worse. This is not to be taken as forbidding the use of things like VT, but merely a recognition of their inferiority to the original stories (regarding Biblical adaptations). Now vegetables have been used to tell worthwhile children’s tales before – Chippolino by Gianni Rodari, for example – but not retelling of Biblical tales. You might like this little Russian (Soviet children’s classic) animation – just so you get that I am not engaged in a universal condemnation of fantasy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mJOVJzXkKs

It’s just an aside, but the Pharisees did not have Christ killed for “introducing new concepts”, but for challenging their authority and power over, and hypocrisy before their people.

Yes, it is a war. But I am reminded of “Enemy at the Gates”, where half of the soldiers are sent into the city to fight with only a handful of bullets and told to follow a man with a gun, and when he is shot, to pick up the gun. There are ways and ways to fight a war. Some are better. Some are worse. Some may be necessary at some point, but extremely wasteful. Some may just plain be wasteful. My question is not whether VT is an effort to do good – it is, unquestionably – but whether it is as good or effective as traditional/classical education. It may well be a more effective approach to kids who have been “McDonaldized”, but at least it is intellectually honest to admit that, speaking generally, our kids are shortchanged compared to kids raised 100-200 years ago. Today our kids go through an astonishing 13 years of public school and are only qualified to work at McDonalds after all that (a slight exaggeration to make a point).Kids 100 years ago got 6-10 years of schooling, if that, and knew more and could do more. Frederick Douglass taught himself with no TV, no school, no teachers, no “nuffin”, and I’d like to see our schooled kids today write an autobiography like his (for one example out of 1,000 or more readily available). http://www.gutenberg.org/files/23/23-h/23-h.htm

I do agree that it is fine to use modern tools – as long as they don’t replace the good old ones. I am objecting to their replacement and an inability of children to take in the traditional forms.

Hopefully you see that I am not engaging in personal attacks. My apologies for my carelessness in my self-expression!

Upvote 0

darkshadow

Aug 20, 2008
Here
✟15,566.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi darkshadow,
I don’t at all wish to be offensive, nor am I saying that you are teaching your children to be stupid. Dumbing down is a general trend on a massive scale and I do not believe that any parent consciously works for their children to reach less than their best potential. I think we agree a little more than it may have seemed, and you have certainly misread me in taking my comments as an attempt to ‘tear down your children’.

Some possible misunderstandings that may remain -

I don’t need to have lived for thousands of years to know what happened thousands of years ago. I know what oral tradition is, I know when the printing press brought about large-scale reading, and what was transmitted and how it was transmitted is sufficiently well-documented that I can claim to know what life was like and what academic standards were before the modern age.

Every culture in the world has used different methods of teaching there children. Some cultures were "smarter" then others, creating an alphabet, tools, and the such. The poor in a lot of those cultures did not have any other method of teaching but by the oral tradition. I must say that your can not be well documented enough to make a claim as to know how every culture taught its people. Especially when we are making new discoveries of the past every day. I am not saying that the traditional ways are wrong, all I have ever said, is times change. Whether that is good or bad depends on its people. We can take the changes life brings and make them beneficial to God, or not.

On “traditional ways” vs modern, technological ways, I agree that we should use the best tools at our disposal. But I do mean “the best”, and not “the mediocre”. Are you offering a serious argument that video and computer is superior in development of the imagination to reading? (I don’t really think so and we may agree – it just seems like your statements could lead to that conclusion)

The most impressive thing on the entire earth to me is a child's imagination. They can entertain themselves for hours with just a stick. I encourage my children to read, and in my 6 year old's case to play his video games. Both stimulate is brain. His video games he plays are on a V-Smile system that has educational games for it. He has learned to count and read not from the games, nor me, nor my wife, nor his brother, nor school, but from them, me, my wife, his brother, and school. Videos are not better in any way then the imagination of a child, but after watching one of the VT videos, my son was outside playing, with a stick, and was David fighting the Giant Goliath. Now could this same result happened from me reading the story to him? Possibly, but did it hurt him in his beliefs of God, and Christ? No, he was out there still saying, "I can beat you, because God will help me."

I am NOT “putting myself as judge and juror…” I am saying what is better and what is worse. This is not to be taken as forbidding the use of things like VT, but merely a recognition of their inferiority to the original stories (regarding Biblical adaptations). Now vegetables have been used to tell worthwhile children’s tales before – Chippolino by Gianni Rodari, for example – but not retelling of Biblical tales. You might like this little Russian (Soviet children’s classic) animation – just so you get that I am not engaged in a universal condemnation of fantasy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mJOVJzXkKs

You do put yourself as the judge, although I seriously do not believe you mean to, when you tell others they are wrong and you are right about how to teach there children. No one is saying that the VT series is better then the Biblical stories, because they are not. They are however, written in a form that young children can comprehend better. No different then the traslation of the Bible from Aramaic and Greek to English. Would you rather take the years of schooling to study Aramaic to read the stories, because guess what some parts of the stories are lost in translation. Look at Proverbs in the original there are areas that are quite humorous, except that they do not translate into English that way. When I read from the bible to my son, or now when he reads to me, I do not read him the KJ version. Why? Because he would look at me like, "What language are you speaking dad"? I read him the NIV, with words he can understand. Do I read him to him that David cut Goliaths head off with his own sword? No, because I do not want to be up with him all night. Do I have to worry about him having nightmares about a little asparagus hitting a Giant Pickle with a rock from a sling. No, and he still understands that God is there to help him. That he cares about him and loves him. (His words not mine by the way.) Was the video a better teacher? NO! No one teaches are kids better then us. Can it help us teach them? Avsolutely!

It’s just an aside, but the Pharisees did not have Christ killed for “introducing new concepts”, but for challenging their authority and power over, and hypocrisy before their people.

He was introducing new concepts that went against there tradition. What they interpeted to be going against the Laws of Moses. He brought the concept that salvation is not obtained through the Law, but by the Grace of God though faith in him and in Christ. The apostles were persecuted for the same. This is a different discussion and not for here.

Yes, it is a war. But I am reminded of “Enemy at the Gates”, where half of the soldiers are sent into the city to fight with only a handful of bullets and told to follow a man with a gun, and when he is shot, to pick up the gun. There are ways and ways to fight a war. Some are better. Some are worse. Some may be necessary at some point, but extremely wasteful. Some may just plain be wasteful. My question is not whether VT is an effort to do good – it is, unquestionably – but whether it is as good or effective as traditional/classical education. It may well be a more effective approach to kids who have been “McDonaldized”, but at least it is intellectually honest to admit that, speaking generally, our kids are shortchanged compared to kids raised 100-200 years ago. Today our kids go through an astonishing 13 years of public school and are only qualified to work at McDonalds after all that (a slight exaggeration to make a point).Kids 100 years ago got 6-10 years of schooling, if that, and knew more and could do more. Frederick Douglass taught himself with no TV, no school, no teachers, no “nuffin”, and I’d like to see our schooled kids today write an autobiography like his (for one example out of 1,000 or more readily available). http://www.gutenberg.org/files/23/23-h/23-h.htm

I do agree that our children are short changed in some areas today, but not when it comes to intellengence. Those that received 6 to 10 years of schooling were in a better class in society, unlike now all children, at least in the US, are allowed the same schooling opportunities, until college. 100 years ago, if you had the flu, you could die from it, now its here take this you'll be better in a couple days. An airplane what was that? Automoblies what are you talking about? We have made strides in are technology through the education of our children. You say that "today our kids go through an astonishing 13 years of public school and are only qualified to work at McDonalds after all that." That is a huge exageation, and you are leaving out a huge factor there that being the parents. If the parents think education is stupid, then the child will think the same. If you took a child from 100 years ago and put them in the world today they would not know what to do. If you took a child from now and put them in a place 100 years ago they would survive and make things better. How do I say this, because time has shown that to be true. You use Fredrick Douglas as an example an his autobiography, someone who was a great man and did a lot for the blacks of that era, but you compare him to a child's autobiography. Fredrick Douglas was taught how to read and write by children his own age that were educated. Therefore educating him, and making that part of there own story. I am not taking away from any of his accomplishments, but I am saying he had some, not much, but some education. He did knew how to write, and read some, the same amount as many of the people of that time did, and they went on to do great things too. Just as those who were well educated went on to do great things.

I do agree that it is fine to use modern tools – as long as they don’t replace the good old ones. I am objecting to their replacement and an inability of children to take in the traditional forms.

Hopefully you see that I am not engaging in personal attacks. My apologies for my carelessness in my self-expression!

On this I agree 100% and is really is what I've been saying all along, which makes we now think maybe we really are more on the same page as previously thought. I would never want to see reading, imagination, and other traditional tools removed. If you think about it without them you have none of the others. I believe that both have there place and need to be used together to teach a child the values, morals, and correct understanding of our Lord. I also believe that you can not just use one method of teaching a child. Whether that is a good or bad is up to the individual. I beleive that not using other means but one can and does limit a childs possible understanding of a concept. God, thankfully made us all different, and therefore we all learn differently. Some can read a story once and know every detail of it, some have to read it several times. Some can see something and understand it, some have to hear it explained. Some children can memorize a spelling word by sight, some by sight and hearing it pronounced. I guess what I am saying in essence is what has been proven. The more sences involvend in learning the more likely a person is to understand and hold on to a concept.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.