Results are only viewable after voting.

spartacus1984

Nov 10, 2006
✟1,505.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
In light of current political efforts to undermine marriage away from its traditional roots, the Vatican offers an encyclical.

Marriage one man and one woman for nurturing children: Pope Francis’ first encyclical | LifeSiteNews.com

ROME, July 5, 2013 (LifeSiteNews.com) – In his first encyclical letter, released this morning, Pope Francis has reiterated that marriage is a union of one man and one woman for the procreation and nurturing of children.

This lifelong pledge is possible only in the light of a greater plan for marriage, he said: "Promising love for ever is possible when we perceive a plan bigger than our own ideas and undertakings, a plan which sustains us and enables us to surrender our future entirely to the one we love."

KitKatMatt

stupid bleeding heart feminist liberal
May 2, 2013
✟29,520.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Marriage is not being undermined.

A man and a woman can still get married for the sole purpose of procreation.

Churches are not required by law to wed anyone they don't want to wed.

Christian churches can still call what they believe is sin, sin.

The Pope can still advise all Catholic churches to keep only marrying men to women, and women to men.

The world will keep turning :p

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟214,138.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Marriage is one man and many woman as it has been int he past.
It has been that as well as other things in the past.

Before that it was ownership. Marriage is not sacred as even Paul states in his Epistles. Marriage is subjugation and nothing more.
Whoa, you have a dim view. While it can be subjugation, it can also be a partnership with love and affection.

Upvote 0

Marius27

Feb 16, 2013
✟6,009.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Democrat
In light of current political efforts to undermine marriage away from its traditional roots, the Vatican offers an encyclical.

Marriage one man and one woman for nurturing children: Pope Francis’ first encyclical | LifeSiteNews.com

ROME, July 5, 2013 (LifeSiteNews.com) – In his first encyclical letter, released this morning, Pope Francis has reiterated that marriage is a union of one man and one woman for the procreation and nurturing of children.

This lifelong pledge is possible only in the light of a greater plan for marriage, he said: "Promising love for ever is possible when we perceive a plan bigger than our own ideas and undertakings, a plan which sustains us and enables us to surrender our future entirely to the one we love."

Don't care what the Vatican says. They also used to believe the Sun revolved around the Earth.

Upvote 0
I

IanCG

To the vatican:

"You're not the boss of me or my marriage."

Upvote 0

EnemyOfReason

May 22, 2013
✟9,335.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
In Relationship
It has been that as well as other things in the past.

Whoa, you have a dim view. While it can be subjugation, it can also be a partnership with love and affection.

Love is the result of an evolved brain with a specific set of neurological effects taking place in the brain followed by a change in hormonal output that result in the feeling as neurologist have shown in the past.

Nothing is special or sacred about marriage. It is a man made institution and always shall be regulated by man. not a god of any kind yet alone religion.

America is a secular nation and should remain as such. This may not be what Christians want but if Christians claim America is not a theocracy then then they should know their religious obligation have no say int he matter.

Upvote 0

marshlewis

Apr 13, 2004
✟3,955.00
Faith
Atheist
Love is the result of an evolved brain with a specific set of neurological effects taking place in the brain followed by a change in hormonal output that result in the feeling as neurologist have shown in the past.

Nothing is special or sacred about marriage. It is a man made institution and always shall be regulated by man. not a god of any kind yet alone religion.

America is a secular nation and should remain as such. This may not be what Christians want but if Christians claim America is not a theocracy then then they should know their religious obligation have no say int he matter.

While I agree that marrage is no more than a social/cultural tool, I dont think pointing out the biochemical origins of human emotions lends any weight to critiques of marrage. I mean I could offer biochemical explanations as to why people are upset over their dead baby, but I dont think it would move many to castigate funerals.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

EnemyOfReason

May 22, 2013
✟9,335.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
In Relationship
While I agree that marrage is no more than a social/cultural tool, I dont think pointing out the biochemical origins of human emotions lends any weight to critiques of marrage. I mean I could offer biochemical explanations as to why people are upset over their dead baby, but I dont think it would move many to castigate funerals.

This just comes from my inner cynicism :D. I have a bleak outlook on life personally although I find it happy

Upvote 0

katautumn

Prodigal Daughter
May 14, 2015
Atlanta, GA
✟24,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Marriage is not being undermined.

Marriage has been undermined since the 1960s. It's no longer considered a sacred, lifelong covenant that is only broken under the most dire of circumstances.

A man and a woman can still get married for the sole purpose of procreation.

True, although that's not why most do.

We'll see for how long, though. I imagine we're not too far off from seeing a federal law passed that will penalize churches, somehow, for refusing to perform gay ceremonies.

Christian churches can still call what they believe is sin, sin.

Here again, for how long? We've already reached the point where speaking such a thing in public gets you screamed at, cussed out, and beat up. How long before we're like Great Britain, where saying anything considered "anti-gay" is classified as hate speech?

The world will keep turning :p

It will, but it will be different. Some see that as a great thing, while others realize it's only a matter of time before things look pretty sad for Bible believing Christians.

Upvote 0

KitKatMatt

May 2, 2013
✟29,520.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Marriage has been undermined since the 1960s. It's no longer considered a sacred, lifelong covenant that is only broken under the most dire of circumstances.

True, although that's not why most do.

We'll see for how long, though. I imagine we're not too far off from seeing a federal law passed that will penalize churches, somehow, for refusing to perform gay ceremonies.

Here again, for how long? We've already reached the point where speaking such a thing in public gets you screamed at, cussed out, and beat up. How long before we're like Great Britain, where saying anything considered "anti-gay" is classified as hate speech?

It will, but it will be different. Some see that as a great thing, while others realize it's only a matter of time before things look pretty sad for Bible believing Christians.

If you call people not treating marriage as "sacred" as undermining... I'm sorry to tell you that marriage has been "undermined" for most of human history.

And who cares what "most" do? Why do you care why your neighbor married? You should mind your own business and focus on marrying the way you feel the need to.

Churches can still refuse to marry an interracial couple. They can refuse to marry a couple if one or both have been married and divorced before. They can refuse for any reason. Why? Because the government can't step into the church. Separation of church and state. If a couple is turned away from a church, then they either need to go to a different church, or a justice of the peace (who cannot turn them away since they are of the government and don't have the same privilege as the church).

Great Britain does not have the first amendment, WE do. And though I differ in opinion from those who condemn homosexuality, I would gladly defend their right to say as much as they wished against it. Even groups marked as "hate groups" in America have the right to free speech. They can stand on a street corner and say all sorts of inflammatory things that I believe are wrong... but they are within their rights as Americans.

Again, things have been "looking bad" since, well, ever. It's not a new thing. This has been going on for every group since the dawn of humanity.

Upvote 0

katautumn

Prodigal Daughter
May 14, 2015
Atlanta, GA
✟24,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If you call people not treating marriage as "sacred" as undermining... I'm sorry to tell you that marriage has been "undermined" for most of human history.

It wasn't until the sexual/feminist revolution, however, that marriage was considered a drudgery and single parenthood, no-fault divorce, and out of wedlock cohabitation became more tolerable and mainstream. Once alternatives to marriage were embraced as acceptable, marriage started to go downhill.

And who cares what "most" do? Why do you care why your neighbor married? You should mind your own business and focus on marrying the way you feel the need to.

Why should I mind my own business? Marriage is not only a private institution, but one that is supposed to benefit society at large. When marriages decline it causes a lot of problems for society. It creates single mothers who have to struggle just to make ends meet. It creates welfare cases, children who start to perform poorly in school, children with behavioral problems and emotional disorders, etc.

Churches can still refuse to marry an interracial couple. They can refuse to marry a couple if one or both have been married and divorced before. They can refuse for any reason. Why? Because the government can't step into the church. Separation of church and state. If a couple is turned away from a church, then they either need to go to a different church, or a justice of the peace (who cannot turn them away since they are of the government and don't have the same privilege as the church).

That's the way it is now, but it may not always be that way. We're already seeing liberties absolutely destroyed by the federal government, all in the name of "tolerance" and "fairness". How long before churches are told they either marry same-sex couples or lose their tax exempt status? How long before churches are told they're allowed to preach against homosexuality, but it's against the law to put a pro-traditional marriage message on their church sign, since outsiders can see it and may be offended?

Great Britain does not have the first amendment, WE do. And though I differ in opinion from those who condemn homosexuality, I would gladly defend their right to say as much as they wished against it. Even groups marked as "hate groups" in America have the right to free speech. They can stand on a street corner and say all sorts of inflammatory things that I believe are wrong... but they are within their rights as Americans.

And I appreciate your outlook on freedom of speech. My prayer is that we will always have it. There are many in this country who believe the Constitution is outdated and should be replaced.

Again, things have been "looking bad" since, well, ever. It's not a new thing. This has been going on for every group since the dawn of humanity.

Things will continue to deteriorate, just as God said they would before the last days. It seems that they have been going down hill at a much more rapid pace over the past four decades, though.

Upvote 0

KitKatMatt

May 2, 2013
✟29,520.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
It wasn't until the sexual/feminist revolution, however, that marriage was considered a drudgery and single parenthood, no-fault divorce, and out of wedlock cohabitation became more tolerable and mainstream. Once alternatives to marriage were embraced as acceptable, marriage started to go downhill.

Why should I mind my own business? Marriage is not only a private institution, but one that is supposed to benefit society at large. When marriages decline it causes a lot of problems for society. It creates single mothers who have to struggle just to make ends meet. It creates welfare cases, children who start to perform poorly in school, children with behavioral problems and emotional disorders, etc.

That's the way it is now, but it may not always be that way. We're already seeing liberties absolutely destroyed by the federal government, all in the name of "tolerance" and "fairness". How long before churches are told they either marry same-sex couples or lose their tax exempt status? How long before churches are told they're allowed to preach against homosexuality, but it's against the law to put a pro-traditional marriage message on their church sign, since outsiders can see it and may be offended?

And I appreciate your outlook on freedom of speech. My prayer is that we will always have it. There are many in this country who believe the Constitution is outdated and should be replaced.

Things will continue to deteriorate, just as God said they would before the last days. It seems that they have been going down hill at a much more rapid pace over the past four decades, though.

I'm sorry, I'm just having serious trouble taking you seriously. You seem to have a "they're out to get us!" mindset going :p

I don't think you have any business with my marriage or with anyone elses marriage. Stick to your own turf, your own spouse, and your own family. "But it affects us all!", but you can't do anything about it. It is another persons live, NOT your own.

You know how all people are entitled to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness? Yeah, that. Pay attention to your own life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness. Don't bother with anyone elses.

I don't think the sexual/womens revolution did anything to marriage that wasn't going to happen in time anyways. Who cares? If you don't like the way people are getting together, then don't do it yourself. They are free to do what they think is right.

Also, no one's stopping you (not even the government) from standing on a street corner and preaching against premarital sex, homosexuality, having children out of wedlock, etc. If you care that badly, then go get a sign and pick a spot on the sidewalk and make a difference.

I'm not even going to touch the welfare issue. It's much too personal for me.

Freedom of speech isn't going to be revoked any time soon, neither is the ability for a church to refuse to marry any couple for any reason. Trust me, there will be riots before either come under fire from the government. And I will be among those rioting.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How long before churches are told they either marry same-sex couples or lose their tax exempt status? How long before churches are told they're allowed to preach against homosexuality, but it's against the law to put a pro-traditional marriage message on their church sign, since outsiders can see it and may be offended?
Never. Interracial marriage has been legal for decades and the government has not done the above in regards to churches who oppose interracial marriage.

There's is absolutely no reason to think that the government would act any different in regards to same sex marriage. If it did, I would be standing right along side you in opposition.

Upvote 0

marshlewis

Apr 13, 2004
✟3,955.00
Faith
Atheist
How long before churches are told they either marry same-sex couples or lose their tax exempt status? How long before churches are told they're allowed to preach against homosexuality, but it's against the law to put a pro-traditional marriage message on their church sign, since outsiders can see it and may be offended?

Well!, thats an interesting philosophical and moral question. Should churches have to pay taxes if they are as racist or homophobic as those who DO pay taxes?.

Upvote 0

TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
except moves have already been made to withdraw that right from churches so now it suddenly is a persecution issue. If nobody of significance had talked about removing that right then it would not be persecution. Lawmakers are some who have been talking about it.

Upvote 0

TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well!, thats an interesting philosophical and moral question. Should churches have to pay taxes if they are as racist or homophobic as those who DO pay taxes?.
but can you prove they are homophobic? I bet you can't. So can I make baseless allegations about you?

Upvote 0

TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
this is a worldwide section of the forums and the Vatican is in Rome. Can you try to avoid suggesting America is the only place worth talking about.

Upvote 0