Varieties of dispenationalism (work in progress)

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

ReformedAnglican

The Many Varieties of Dispensationalism

By ReformedAnglican (c)

The Beginning of the Church
I. Acts 2 (Orthodox dispensationalism)
This is the most orthodox of all the dispensational varieties and has two camps: (1) the classical dispensationalism of John Nelson Darby and C. I. Scofield; and, (2) the revised dispensationalism of Dallas Theological Seminary taught by J. Dwight Pentecost and C. Ryrie.

List of authors:
John Nelson Darby
C. I. Scofield
J. Dwight Pentecost
J. Walvoord

II. Acts 9 (Mid-Acts dispensationalism)
This teaches that the church did not begin until the conversion of St. Paul in Acts 9.

List of authors:
Cornelius R. Stam

III. Act 13 (Mid-Acts dispensationalism)
This teaches that it was not until St. Paul and St. Barnabas turned to the Gentiles that the Church began.

Acts 13:46 “Then Paul and Barnabas waxed bold, and said, It was necessary that the word of God should first have been spoken to you: but seeing ye put it from you, and judge yourselves unworthy of everlasting life, lo, we turn to the Gentiles.”

IV. Acts 15 (Mid-Acts dispensationalism)
This teaches that the church did not begin until the Jerusalem Council because until then the Law of Moses was still in force until then.

V. Acts 28 (Ultra-dispensationalism)
This variety teaches that the Church began after Acts 28

Acts 28:28 “Be it known therefore unto you, that the salvation of God is sent unto the Gentiles, and that they will hear it.”

List of authors:
C. H. Welch
E. W. Bullinger

VI. Progressive Dispensationalism
This has been advanced in recent years by Block and Blaissing.

The Ordinances of the Church
I. Baptism
Both Mid-Acts and Ultra-dispensationalists reject water baptism for this present dispensation.

II. The Lord’s Supper
Ultra-dispensationalists reject the Lord’s Supper for this present dispensation.

Eschatology
I. Pre-tribulational Rapture
This teaches that the Church will be raptured before the tribulation.

II. Post-tribulational Rapture
This teaches that the Church will be raptured after the tribulation.

III. Mid-tribulational Rapture
This teaches that the Church will be raptured during the tribulation.

IV. Partial Rapture
This teaches that only those saints who are watching for Christ will be raptured when he comes. The rest shall be left to go through the tribulation.

V. Pre-wrath Rapture
This teaches that the Church will be raptured before God pours out his wrath upon the earth in the latter 3.5 years, the so-called Great Tribulation. They see the first 3.5 years as the ‘wrath of the beast’.

VI. Millennial Exclusion
This teaches that carnal Christians – those who have not walked ‘according to the Spirit’ –shall not reign with Christ. Some teach that they shall be excluded from the Millennium altogether and be punished in Hades for the duration of the Millennium i.e. 1000 years.

drstevej

"The crowd always chooses Barabbas."
In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What distinction do you see between the "classic" and "revised" under Roman numeral "I"

BTW, dod you realize that the man scheduled to become the first professor of theology at Dallas Seminary was an Anglican?

WH Griffith Thomas. (he died the year the seminary opened. I own the files with his sermon outlines, given to me by his daughter)

Upvote 0
R

ReformedAnglican

Upvote 0

drstevej

"The crowd always chooses Barabbas."
In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
ReformedAnglican said:
The latter rejected what is called the central dualism which the former held. That God's purpose was twofold, earthly for the Jews and heavenly for the Saints.

Thanks for the clarification. Ryrie also focused dispensationalism on central tennets (sine quae nons) rather than a chart with seven dispensations. Chafer was big into the number seven in his theological formulations.

Good work...

I would be interested in a similar classification chart/outline of preterists of varying stripes. (Best do this in UTD so it can include Full Preterists)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.