Visit site
✟1,357,163.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God would rather the doors of our churches be shut than for us to offer up shallow forms of worship and praise to him, which may stir the emotions, but not produce changed hearts, minds, and lives for Jesus Christ. It is better to have no sacrifices, than to have vain ones (See: Malachi 1:10).

The Lord Jesus led me to read Hebrews 12 (vv. 1-4 ESV).

Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us… v. 1

We have a very disturbing situation, at least here in many of our churches in America. It is one, in fact, of grave concern. Not only have so many churches and their pastors gone the way of the world, turned the church into a business, and are running it and marketing it as such, but they have diluted the gospel message to make it more appealing to human flesh.

What this means is that they are giving their listeners the idea that faith in Jesus Christ does not have to result in changed lives. In fact, many of them are saying that God does not even require repentance or obedience, and that he is pleased with them no matter what they do. All they have to do is say they believe in Jesus, and heaven is guaranteed them, no matter how they live their lives from that moment on, so they say.

Thus, sinful behaviors and addictions are running rampant in many of our churches, including among the leadership, and not many are even blinking an eye, it would appear. There is not much of a distinction, either, between the world and the church anymore, as so many who profess the name of Jesus live not much differently from those who make no profession of faith in Christ, at all. And, this is normal in so many congregations.

Yet, instead of confronting sin, and calling for repentance, and for obedience to Christ and to his Word, many are coddling the unrepentant, and they are making a way for them to continue in willful, continuous, addictive, and sinful lifestyles, for they don’t want to offend them or make them feel bad about their sin. Some are even telling them, while they are engrossed in sin, to just claim who they are in Christ, which then just subdues or eradicates any sense of guilt or shame they might have had for their sin.

But, God is giving us a much different message. He is saying we must lay aside (get rid of) every weight (encumbrance) and sin, which so easily besets us, or which clings so closely to us. For, this is why he gave his life up for us, that we might die with him to sin. Thus, He doesn’t coddle us in our sin, nor does his grace make provision for the flesh. His grace, which brings salvation, teaches us to say “No” to ungodliness and worldly passions (lusts), and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives while we await Christ’s return. He said, in fact, that if we walk (conduct our lives) in sin, we will die in our sins, not have the hope of eternal life with God.

The other half of this is that Jesus died, not just so we can die to sin, but so we can live to his righteousness. This is why we need to lay aside sin (all sin) which so easily clings to us, so that we can run the race he has marked out for us, i.e. the Christian life, our walk in the Spirit. If we don’t put off sin, how can we walk in holiness and righteousness? We can’t, for the two are in conflict, one with the other. So, if we remain addicted to sinful practices, then how can we also worship our Lord in spirit and in truth? Won’t he see our worship of him as disingenuous?

…looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God. v. 2

This is not about performance, though, or about a set of rules we have to follow, though we definitely have those, nor is this about us just trying hard not to sin. This, as well, is not about behavioral modification. This is about faith in Jesus Christ which results in changed hearts and lives. This is about loving God, and thus walking in obedience to him, because we love him, and so we honor him, we revere him, we respect him, and we obey him.

When we truly believe in Jesus Christ to be Lord and Savior of our lives, we die with him to sin, and we are resurrected with him to newness of life, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness. This is what it means to be “born again” of the Spirit of God. We no longer walk like we did when we didn’t know Jesus, but now we walk according to the Spirit, and daily, by the Spirit, we are putting to death the deeds of the flesh.

Notice that it says here “by the Spirit,” for we can’t change our own hearts, and we can’t, in our flesh, be conformed to Christ’s likeness. We do, nonetheless, have to cooperate with the Spirit’s work of grace in our lives. Over and over again in the New Testament we are told what WE must do to inherit eternal life and to live lives pleasing unto God.

Surely this heart change is of the Spirit of God, and not something we can bring about in our own flesh, but faith in Jesus means we turn our lives over to him, and we submit to his lordship over our lives, and we walk in his ways and in his truth, and we no longer live to gratify our sinful flesh. And, all this is possible because of what Jesus did for us in taking our place on that cross, and in putting sin to death, and in being resurrected from the dead victorious over sin, hell, death and Satan, on our behalf.

Consider him who endured from sinners such hostility against himself, so that you may not grow weary or fainthearted. In your struggle against sin you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood. vv. 3-4

Jesus Christ, although he was fully God, yet he was also fully man when he walked this earth. Thus, he suffered like we suffer, and he was tempted in like manner as we are also tempted, yet without sin. He had to resist Satan, flee temptation, and draw near to God the Father, too. So, he knows what we are going through. We are not alone.

When he knew that it was time for him to be put to death, his flesh struggled with the thought of it, for he knew the suffering he must go through in order to become sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God. But, he resisted the temptation to yield to the flesh, and he submitted to the Father’s will. And, he did resist sin to the point of shedding his blood on a cross so that we could go free from sin.

So, although he does sympathize with our weaknesses, he makes no provision for the flesh. He doesn’t demand sinless perfection, though, otherwise he would not have had to die for our sins, if we could obey with absolute perfection (See: 1 Jn. 2:1-2). But, he does demand that we walk, not according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit, if we want to have eternal life with him in heaven (Lu. 9:23-25; Rom. 8:1-17).

So, those of us who are in Christ Jesus, by faith in him, have no excuse for still walking according to the flesh and living to fulfill the desires of our flesh. We have no excuse for continuing in sinful addictions, for Jesus Christ set us free from slavery to sin. We have no justification, either, for covering up our sins with lies and deceptions, and for choosing our sinful addictions over God and over the people God has placed in our lives for us to love with Christ’s love, especially if we have been Christians for many years.

So, the encouragement here is to trust Jesus Christ with our lives, to rely on his strength and power to overcome sinful addictions, and to believe that he has truly set us free, and that Satan no longer has power over us, that is, if we are truly in Christ, by faith in him. Thus, we must put off not only the sin, but all which leads us into sin, so that we can run the race God has for us. Many continue in sin, because they continue to make provision for the flesh.

The Battle for Truth

An Original Work / May 18, 2013

Based off Malachi 1-4

Truth is marching, truth is marching.

I love you. Honor me.
Tell the truth. You’ll be free.
Sing My praise all your days.
I will give all you need.

Turn from sin; cleansed within.
Stand in awe of My Name.
Teach what’s true. Walk in peace.
Follow Christ, in His ways.

Show to God faithfulness.
Do not be adult’rous.
Do not shed shallow tears.
Do not be insincere.

I have sent messengers,
Who have giv’n my address.
They call for repentance,
And they warn of judgment.

I, the Lord, do not change,
So return – blessings gain:
Healing comes; joyfulness;
Freedom from your distress.

Saturday, December 9, 2017, 7:33 p.m. – Thank you, Jesus, for dying on a cross so that we can go free from sin and walk in your righteousness. Amen.

God is good

Oct 4, 2016
Michigan
✟201,885.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you very much for putting this here. I need to start looking to Jesus Christ alone for my salvation, I deal with bad thoughts and I am worried that I'm not resting in Jesus to save me. God bless you and Jesus is Lord.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,720.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Question, at the end of paragraph 6 you said "Jesus said if you continue to live in sin you will die in your sins" where in the Bible did Jesus say that? The only verse I could find that had to do with dying in sins was John 8:24 and that says if you don't believe I am he you will die in your sins. So, I'm confused as to where you got that from.

Also, I kind of disagree that faith is not enough to be saved. Otherwise a really good post.

Upvote 0

Christsfreeservant

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 10, 2006
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟1,357,163.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm still going over the OP, Sue. This is so profound that i'm munching on it daily. God is sooooo GOOD. i NEEDED this.

God bless you Sue. :)

Brinny, Thank you for sharing that with me. God bless you. I give all the glory to God.

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

Christsfreeservant

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 10, 2006
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟1,357,163.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you very much for putting this here. I need to start looking to Jesus Christ alone for my salvation, I deal with bad thoughts and I am worried that I'm not resting in Jesus to save me. God bless you and Jesus is Lord.
Praying for you.

Reactions: God is good
Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Brinny, Thank you for sharing that with me. God bless you. I give all the glory to God.

He is so precious. Praise God that He has His own, here, still faithfully proclaiming His Truth. Praise God!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Christsfreeservant

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 10, 2006
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟1,357,163.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Question, at the end of paragraph 6 you said "Jesus said if you continue to live in sin you will die in your sins" where in the Bible did Jesus say that? The only verse I could find that had to do with dying in sins was John 8:24 and that says if you don't believe I am he you will die in your sins. So, I'm confused as to where you got that from.

Also, I kind of disagree that faith is not enough to be saved. Otherwise a really good post.

Jesus is the author of scripture, for one. So, wherever it says this in scripture, he said it, because he is God, and the Bible is God-breathed.

Give me a few minutes here, and I will find those scriptures for you. Ok, one of them just came to mind. It is found in Luke 9:23-25:

And he said to all, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will save it. For what does it profit a man if he gains the whole world and loses or forfeits himself?”

So, what is he saying here? He is saying that if we hold on to our old lives (of living for sin and self), we will lose them for eternity, but if we lose our lives for his sake (die with him to sin) we will save them for eternity.

There are more, I just have to locate them.

As far as faith being enough, it absolutely is, but we have to define faith biblically, and the biblical definition of faith, per Jesus and per his NT apostles is death to sin and living to righteousness, walking according to the Spirit and not according to the flesh, for these are the things they say determine whether or not we have eternal life with God.

Upvote 0

Christsfreeservant

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 10, 2006
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟1,357,163.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Here is another:

Matthew 7:21-27: “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter. 22 Many will say to Me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?’ 23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness.’

24 “Therefore everyone who hears these words of Mine and acts on them, may be compared to a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25 And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and slammed against that house; and yet it did not fall, for it had been founded on the rock. 26 Everyone who hears these words of Mine and does not act on them, will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand. 27 The rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and slammed against that house; and it fell—and great was its fall.”

Upvote 0

Pilgrim

Praying without ceasing
Mar 26, 2017
between the pages of the Bible.
Visit site
✟200,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God would rather the doors of our churches be shut than for us to offer up shallow forms of worship and praise to him, which may stir the emotions, but not produce changed hearts, minds, and lives for Jesus Christ. It is better to have no sacrifices, than to have vain ones (See: Malachi 1:10).

The Lord Jesus led me to read Hebrews 12 (vv. 1-4 ESV).

Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us… v. 1

We have a very disturbing situation, at least here in many of our churches in America. It is one, in fact, of grave concern. Not only have so many churches and their pastors gone the way of the world, turned the church into a business, and are running it and marketing it as such, but they have diluted the gospel message to make it more appealing to human flesh.

What this means is that they are giving their listeners the idea that faith in Jesus Christ does not have to result in changed lives. In fact, many of them are saying that God does not even require repentance or obedience, and that he is pleased with them no matter what they do. All they have to do is say they believe in Jesus, and heaven is guaranteed them, no matter how they live their lives from that moment on, so they say.

Thus, sinful behaviors and addictions are running rampant in many of our churches, including among the leadership, and not many are even blinking an eye, it would appear. There is not much of a distinction, either, between the world and the church anymore, as so many who profess the name of Jesus live not much differently from those who make no profession of faith in Christ, at all. And, this is normal in so many congregations.

Yet, instead of confronting sin, and calling for repentance, and for obedience to Christ and to his Word, many are coddling the unrepentant, and they are making a way for them to continue in willful, continuous, addictive, and sinful lifestyles, for they don’t want to offend them or make them feel bad about their sin. Some are even telling them, while they are engrossed in sin, to just claim who they are in Christ, which then just subdues or eradicates any sense of guilt or shame they might have had for their sin.

But, God is giving us a much different message. He is saying we must lay aside (get rid of) every weight (encumbrance) and sin, which so easily besets us, or which clings so closely to us. For, this is why he gave his life up for us, that we might die with him to sin. Thus, He doesn’t coddle us in our sin, nor does his grace make provision for the flesh. His grace, which brings salvation, teaches us to say “No” to ungodliness and worldly passions (lusts), and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives while we await Christ’s return. He said, in fact, that if we walk (conduct our lives) in sin, we will die in our sins, not have the hope of eternal life with God.

The other half of this is that Jesus died, not just so we can die to sin, but so we can live to his righteousness. This is why we need to lay aside sin (all sin) which so easily clings to us, so that we can run the race he has marked out for us, i.e. the Christian life, our walk in the Spirit. If we don’t put off sin, how can we walk in holiness and righteousness? We can’t, for the two are in conflict, one with the other. So, if we remain addicted to sinful practices, then how can we also worship our Lord in spirit and in truth? Won’t he see our worship of him as disingenuous?

…looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God. v. 2

This is not about performance, though, or about a set of rules we have to follow, though we definitely have those, nor is this about us just trying hard not to sin. This, as well, is not about behavioral modification. This is about faith in Jesus Christ which results in changed hearts and lives. This is about loving God, and thus walking in obedience to him, because we love him, and so we honor him, we revere him, we respect him, and we obey him.

When we truly believe in Jesus Christ to be Lord and Savior of our lives, we die with him to sin, and we are resurrected with him to newness of life, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness. This is what it means to be “born again” of the Spirit of God. We no longer walk like we did when we didn’t know Jesus, but now we walk according to the Spirit, and daily, by the Spirit, we are putting to death the deeds of the flesh.

Notice that it says here “by the Spirit,” for we can’t change our own hearts, and we can’t, in our flesh, be conformed to Christ’s likeness. We do, nonetheless, have to cooperate with the Spirit’s work of grace in our lives. Over and over again in the New Testament we are told what WE must do to inherit eternal life and to live lives pleasing unto God.

Surely this heart change is of the Spirit of God, and not something we can bring about in our own flesh, but faith in Jesus means we turn our lives over to him, and we submit to his lordship over our lives, and we walk in his ways and in his truth, and we no longer live to gratify our sinful flesh. And, all this is possible because of what Jesus did for us in taking our place on that cross, and in putting sin to death, and in being resurrected from the dead victorious over sin, hell, death and Satan, on our behalf.

Consider him who endured from sinners such hostility against himself, so that you may not grow weary or fainthearted. In your struggle against sin you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood. vv. 3-4

Jesus Christ, although he was fully God, yet he was also fully man when he walked this earth. Thus, he suffered like we suffer, and he was tempted in like manner as we are also tempted, yet without sin. He had to resist Satan, flee temptation, and draw near to God the Father, too. So, he knows what we are going through. We are not alone.

When he knew that it was time for him to be put to death, his flesh struggled with the thought of it, for he knew the suffering he must go through in order to become sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God. But, he resisted the temptation to yield to the flesh, and he submitted to the Father’s will. And, he did resist sin to the point of shedding his blood on a cross so that we could go free from sin.

So, although he does sympathize with our weaknesses, he makes no provision for the flesh. He doesn’t demand sinless perfection, though, otherwise he would not have had to die for our sins, if we could obey with absolute perfection (See: 1 Jn. 2:1-2). But, he does demand that we walk, not according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit, if we want to have eternal life with him in heaven (Lu. 9:23-25; Rom. 8:1-17).

So, those of us who are in Christ Jesus, by faith in him, have no excuse for still walking according to the flesh and living to fulfill the desires of our flesh. We have no excuse for continuing in sinful addictions, for Jesus Christ set us free from slavery to sin. We have no justification, either, for covering up our sins with lies and deceptions, and for choosing our sinful addictions over God and over the people God has placed in our lives for us to love with Christ’s love, especially if we have been Christians for many years.

So, the encouragement here is to trust Jesus Christ with our lives, to rely on his strength and power to overcome sinful addictions, and to believe that he has truly set us free, and that Satan no longer has power over us, that is, if we are truly in Christ, by faith in him. Thus, we must put off not only the sin, but all which leads us into sin, so that we can run the race God has for us. Many continue in sin, because they continue to make provision for the flesh.

The Battle for Truth

An Original Work / May 18, 2013

Based off Malachi 1-4

I love you. Honor me.
Tell the truth. You’ll be free.
Sing My praise all your days.
I will give all you need.

Turn from sin; cleansed within.
Stand in awe of My Name.
Teach what’s true. Walk in peace.
Follow Christ, in His ways.

Show to God faithfulness.
Do not be adult’rous.
Do not shed shallow tears.
Do not be insincere.

I have sent messengers,
Who have giv’n my address.
They call for repentance,
And they warn of judgment.

I, the Lord, do not change,
So return – blessings gain:
Healing comes; joyfulness;
Freedom from your distress.

Saturday, December 9, 2017, 7:33 p.m. – Thank you, Jesus, for dying on a cross so that we can go free from sin and walk in your righteousness. Amen.
Amen. Thank you Sue for sharing these devotionals. Thank God for His Mighty Word that instructs us in His ways, that teaches and corrects, that encourages and loves, that brings us truth in God's holiness and righteousness, that we might find salvation in the LORD, Jesus Christ, who died on that cross for the sin of the world. God has blessed you with a gift Sue. Thank God for inspiring you to share with others. Praise the LORD. Glory to God.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Christsfreeservant

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 10, 2006
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟1,357,163.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Amen. Thank you Sue for sharing these devotionals. Thank God for His Mighty Word that instructs us in His ways, that teaches and corrects, that encourages and loves, that brings us truth in God's holiness and righteousness, that we might find salvation in the LORD, Jesus Christ, who died on that cross for the sin of the world. God has blessed you with a gift Sue. Thank God for inspiring you to share with others. Praise the LORD. Glory to God.

Amen! Glory to God! Thank you for your encouragement. God bless!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums