✟368,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Most real racists are proud of it.
I think people too often assume that that pride is part of the definition of being racist.
It ain't.

Some people are proud of how smart they are when they're actually pretty dumb.

• Agree
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I disagree. What recent actions of his would you say indicate this?
I must be Nostradamus, because I knew you would disagree!
Just a coincidence then that his excuse relied on race, rather than any legitimate business reason. Riiight.
Meh. First, Native American isn't a race. So not 'racism'.
It may "follow," but using it as a justification for discrimination is racism.
Discrimination is not racism. We discriminate every day. Over food, clothes, our taste in people, etc. Not racist at all.
Couple of things here:

1. There was exactly as much documentation of his birth details as most of the US population.
Then why couldn't he produce it readily???
2. The truth of the matter is that where one is born has very little bearing on one's character. It's one thing to talk about a person lying about their military service or utilizing fraud to avoid going to war, or using illegal drugs, and an entirely different matter to worry about where a baby happened to pop out of the womb. Obama spent most of his childhood (apart from the four years he lived in Indonesia) in Hawaii and, by all appearances, was raised as an American citizen. Questions of where he was born are nothing more than a flimsy excuse to argue that he was ineligible for office - made easier by his name and the color of his skin.
Well, I never said anything relating to where he was born and his character...And I agree it was a flimsy argument, but not racist.
Some people definitely took it seriously.
Yeah, that's 'some people''s problem.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Some are, some people though? If their candidate happens to be a racist it's not a deal breaker for them. Those people will fight, twist and excuse anything and everything just so they can A) keep supporting the candidate and B) pretend "my candidate isn't like that!". :sigh:
tulc(just a thought) :wave:
Nah, they would more likely say "My candidate is like me."

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I think people too often assume that that pride is part of the definition of being racist.
It ain't.

Some people are proud of how smart they are when they're actually pretty dumb.
I noticed that about liberals.

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Nah, they would more likely say "My candidate is like me."
You're probably right. That would, however, not change the fact that their candidate could also be a racist. They just choose to ignore that part. :wave:
tulc(is going to need more coffee soon) :sigh:

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,879.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I must be Nostradamus, because I knew you would disagree!
Can you answer my question then? You claim that Trump's recent actions show that he isn't a racist. Which actions would those be?

Meh. First, Native American isn't a race. So not 'racism'.
Ah, we're back to this argument again. Native American is just as much a race as Asian, African, Middle Eastern, etc. Can someone be racist against Asians?

Discrimination is not racism. We discriminate every day. Over food, clothes, our taste in people, etc. Not racist at all.
Not all discrimination is racism, but discrimination based on race is the literal definition of racism. As I've pointed out several times in this thread now. Definition of RACISM

Then why couldn't he produce it readily???
He did. People didn't like it.

Well, I never said anything relating to where he was born and his character...And I agree it was a flimsy argument, but not racist.
Well, then why equate it to bringing up Bush's military record and drug use? Those were complaints about Bush's character and fitness to govern. Aside from the legal requirement of being a natural-born US citizen to be President, the location of your birth has zero relationship to whether or not you might be a good President. As for it not being racist, I'm struggling to see any other motivation behind it. It's fair to ask once, but the die-hard birthers decided that multiple official documents from the State of Hawaii must be fake based on nothing but empty assertions and blind speculation. You got a better explanation than the fact that they didn't want a black man in the White House?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
You're probably right. That would, however, not change the fact that their candidate could also be a racist. They just choose to ignore that part. :wave:
tulc(is going to need more coffee soon) :sigh:
But Trump is not a racist.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Can you answer my question then? You claim that Trump's recent actions show that he isn't a racist. Which actions would those be?
Lowering the unemployment rate of blacks, women, and other minorities at a faster rate than whites.
Ah, we're back to this argument again. Native American is just as much a race as Asian, African, Middle Eastern, etc. Can someone be racist against Asians?
But Asian is a race. Middle Eastern is not. It's a region. Certainly people are racist against Asians. But I can learn and be corrected. It turns out Native Americans are, by and large, Mongoloid, just as Asians are.
But I think you're confusing race and ethnicity.
Not all discrimination is racism, but discrimination based on race is the literal definition of racism. As I've pointed out several times in this thread now. Definition of RACISM
Well, then we agree. Trump may have engaged in discriminatory practices that aren't racism.
He did. People didn't like it.
NO, he let the question linger, so that those who thought that way thought they had something.
Well, then why equate it to bringing up Bush's military record and drug use? Those were complaints about Bush's character and fitness to govern.
As were the complaints about Obama.
Aside from the legal requirement of being a natural-born US citizen to be President, the location of your birth has zero relationship to whether or not you might be a good President. As for it not being racist, I'm struggling to see any other motivation behind it. It's fair to ask once, but the die-hard birthers decided that multiple official documents from the State of Hawaii must be fake based on nothing but empty assertions and blind speculation. You got a better explanation than the fact that they didn't want a black man in the White House?
No, but I don't waste my time on such speculation. Nobody, generally, cared that Obama was black, except Democrats who wanted to parade that fact. They cared about what he promised he would do. That's why I disliked him as president.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
You realize that being pedantic here makes you look worse, right?
Nope. As I stated above, I can learn. I looked it up. Native Americans are primarily Mongoloid. But still, while discriminatory, Trump wasn't being racist.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Lowering the unemployment rate of blacks, women, and other minorities at a faster rate than whites.
That evidence he's not racist?
I'm not yet gonna argue he is racist (I'm not totally sold on the "he think other races are worse than whites; I think he thinks other races are worse than HIM), I do think he's prejudice.
But creating an economic environment that fosters job growth cannot rationally be considered to be evidence of him not being prejudice OR racist. His job policies had a LOT of direct, planned outcomes.
I don't believe for a moment that he had a plan to increase the employment rates of minorities, nor that that was a goal of his.

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,879.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
What, specifically, has Trump done to cause this? Did he personally give them jobs? Did he create policies that incentivized the employment of minorities? Without intent, this is simply a side-effect of the current strong economy.

But Asian is a race. Middle Eastern is not. It's a region. Certainly people are racist against Asians. But I can learn and be corrected. It turns out Native Americans are, by and large, Mongoloid, just as Asians are.
If Native Americans and Asians are both "Mongoloid" and "Mongoloid" is a race, then why can someone be racist against Asians, but not Native Americans?

But I think you're confusing race and ethnicity.
In the discussion of racism, that's a distinction without difference. Discriminating against someone based on their ethnicity is no better than discriminating against someone based on their race, and they're functionally the same. "Ethnicityism" isn't a word in the English language.

Well, then we agree. Trump may have engaged in discriminatory practices that aren't racism.
While I'm sure that this is true as well, he's also engaged in discriminatory practices that ARE racism.

NO, he let the question linger, so that those who thought that way thought they had something.
He released his birth certificate in June 2008. It was certified by the state of Hawaii and fact-checking organizations. The only people who "thought they had something" were those who pre-determined that it was fake because they "knew" he was born in Kenya.

As were the complaints about Obama.
Not the ones related to where he was born.

No, but I don't waste my time on such speculation. Nobody, generally, cared that Obama was black, except Democrats who wanted to parade that fact. They cared about what he promised he would do. That's why I disliked him as president.
There have been many disliked Presidents throughout our country's history. None besides Obama (at least in recent memory) have been accused of not being Americans, lynched in effigy, accused of lying about their faith (aka being a "secret Muslim"), and all of the many other racist attacks I saw on him.

I'm sure that there were some people who objected to him purely on policy grounds, but to pretend that a significant portion of his opposition wasn't racist in origin is pure self-delusion.[/quote][/quote]

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
That evidence he's not racist?
I'm not yet gonna argue he is racist (I'm not totally sold on the "he think other races are worse than whites; I think he thinks other races are worse than HIM), I do think he's prejudice.
But creating an economic environment that fosters job growth cannot rationally be considered to be evidence of him not being prejudice OR racist. His job policies had a LOT of direct, planned outcomes.
I don't believe for a moment that he had a plan to increase the employment rates of minorities, nor that that was a goal of his.
Well, no, his policies were to increase employment rates. Note the period. My point is that he hasn't done anything to harm black people. I think he judges people in general on their accomplishments, rather than their skin color.
Regarding prejudice, EVERYONE is prejudiced. Everyone judges people without really knowing them, and that's what prejudice is, regarding people. I have a love of steak. That's a prejudice. I have a love of Asian people in general. Those are positive prejudices. I have a prejudice against tattoos and facial hair. Those are negatives. I have, however, learned to overcome my prejudices-one of my best friends is covered in tattoos and has facial hair. I know if you get to know the person, you find that your prejudices might be wrong.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
What, specifically, has Trump done to cause this? Did he personally give them jobs? Did he create policies that incentivized the employment of minorities? Without intent, this is simply a side-effect of the current strong economy.

If Native Americans and Asians are both "Mongoloid" and "Mongoloid" is a race, then why can someone be racist against Asians, but not Native Americans?

In the discussion of racism, that's a distinction without difference. Discriminating against someone based on their ethnicity is no better than discriminating against someone based on their race, and they're functionally the same. "Ethnicityism" isn't a word in the English language.

While I'm sure that this is true as well, he's also engaged in discriminatory practices that ARE racism.

He released his birth certificate in June 2008. It was certified by the state of Hawaii and fact-checking organizations. The only people who "thought they had something" were those who pre-determined that it was fake because they "knew" he was born in Kenya.

Not the ones related to where he was born.

There have been many disliked Presidents throughout our country's history. None besides Obama (at least in recent memory) have been accused of not being Americans, lynched in effigy, accused of lying about their faith (aka being a "secret Muslim"), and all of the many other racist attacks I saw on him.

I'm sure that there were some people who objected to him purely on policy grounds, but to pretend that a significant portion of his opposition wasn't racist in origin is pure self-delusion.
[/quote][/QUOTE]
I'm done with this argument, but Trump was burned in effigy, too. So it's not a racist thing. I believe anyone who sees racism around every corner in this day and age is delusional.
Regarding Obama's religion, he's a disciple of Reverend Wright. As in "Not God bless America, but God D**n America. That Reverend Wright. But he's a nominal Christian. And people have also questioned Trump's religion. Again, not a racist thing.
Also, for the record, fact-checking organizations tend to fact check based on their political bent. So I generally don't trust any of them, either. But, as we've agreed, it doesn't matter where an American citizen is born, it matters of whom. But it wasn't a racist thing, it was an objection, just as there have been for every other modern President.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ToddNotTodd

Iconoclast
Feb 17, 2004
✟255,343.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I used to have a coworker that was rude to everyone. No one liked him. As a group, they confronted him. He denied ever being rude and said that the entire group was just jealous of him.

He was fired a week later.

The moral of the story is that self awareness is a very good trait to have...

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
(snip)Regarding Obama's religion, he's a disciple of Reverend Wright. As in "Not God bless America, but God D**n America. That Reverend Wright. (snip)
I love how people try and use this as proof of something but never seem interested in the context or background of the sermon. But I understand. After all it's much easier to support a draft dodging Republican President over a man who served his country with distinction and honor in the military and out of it. That would be Rev Wright. :wave:
tulc(perhaps people should ask any of President Trumps 3 wives and numerous mistresses how much of a "nominal Christian" President Trump is?) :scratch:

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Remember Dubya's lack of military background and supposed DUI and cocaine use?
Why in the world do you put "supposed" in front of "DUI" for Bush? He was arrested in 1976 in Maine where his license was temporarily suspended. This is in the pre-MADD days.
WP said:
Spokeswoman Mindy Tucker said Bush, who had been drinking beer, paid a $150 fine and lost his driving privileges in the state of Maine for a short period. His driver's license in Texas, where he lived at the time, was not revoked or suspended, she said.

The arresting officer, Calvin Bridges, told The Associated Press in a telephone interview that he recalled driving home from work after midnight and spotting a car slipping briefly onto the shoulder before getting back on the road.

Bush, the driver, failed a road sobriety test and a second test in the police station, registering a 0.10 blood-alcohol level – the legal limit at the time, Bridges said.
Bush Once Pleaded Guilty to DUI

Upvote 0