United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
*You are in the Catholic forum*

Some time back I went through a catechist training through Dayton University. I enjoyed the program and glad I did it. Today, I simply use what I learned therein to teach my own children the faith. As a homeschooling father, I am particularly sensitive to the needs of Catholic parents instructing their children. So I'm going to keep this blog short, sweet and to the point.

Yoh don't need to be a trained catechist or take a course on how to teach your children the faith. However, the one thing you should NEVER do is trust others with this task...

Continued below.
Use the Baltimore Catechism

• Agree
Reactions: antiquarian
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
However, the Baltimore Catechism does not reflect the current Catholic teaching on the death penalty.

No, it supports St. Thomas Aquino's view which I find more reliable than Pope Francis anyway.
I think the pope went out of his authority when he contradicted previous church teachings.

May I remind us all about how the papal office may develop doctrine and dogma, but never contradict it. St. Thomas Aquino was considered the greatest theologian of the middle ages by the council of Trent. This great theologian held the death penalty door open as a last resort and so should we.

The church has spoken and so we should adhere to it. That includes Pope francis who is a servant of the church, not her master.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,681,953.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Wasn't St. John Paul II the one that started questioning the necessity of the death penalty?
No, it supports St. Thomas Aquino's view which I find more reliable than Pope Francis anyway.
I think the pope went out of his authority when he contradicted previous church teachings.

May I remind us all about how the papal office may develop doctrine and dogma, but never contradict it. St. Thomas Aquino was considered the greatest theologian of the middle ages by the council of Trent. This great theologian held the death penalty door open as a last resort and so should we.

The church has spoken and so we should adhere to it. That includes Pope francis who is a servant of the church, not her master.

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single

I was originally emphasizing that this way of doing business (that being theology), is more of a Vatican two issue than it's a John Paul or Francis issue.

Upvote 0