✟18,987.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
onlyjesussaves.us said:
Anyone out there like US History? School prayer was taken out of US public schools in June of 1963 and in June of 1963 Bible reading was taken out also. How sad that God has been removed from the public schools in America!

This is a common reactionary lie (not blaming you; you've been lied to). School-sponsored prayer was removed. Students are free to pray as much as they want so long as it doesn't disrupt learning activities. Additionally, the Bible is still read in schools by students: over lunch, in Bible clubs, and even in literature and comparative religion classes.

Not all of the events in the the United States have been good!

This doesn't follow. It looks like the writer is trying to imply that banning school-sponsored prayer was bad without saying why.

There are a lot of good events that have happened in the past also. I remember when we landed on the moon in 1969.

Again...this is just wierdly placed.

Upvote 0
A

armyman_83

Corey said:
This is a common reactionary lie (not blaming you; you've been lied to). School-sponsored prayer was removed. Students are free to pray as much as they want so long as it doesn't disrupt learning activities. Additionally, the Bible is still read in schools by students: over lunch, in Bible clubs, and even in literature and comparative religion classes.

All the years of schooling i have had and not once have we read the Word of God in class, well besides that of our own reading time or what have you. Lets say it is discuraged. We also have a moment of scilence in the morning, in the South we get around things ^_^ so it is aka "prayer time". But i think Christ should still be apart of our schooling, how else do u build morals without the Word.:scratch: I always bring my Bible to school too in my back pocket(full thing too).

Upvote 0

Corey

Veteran
Mar 7, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
✟18,987.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Armyman, first things first. There is a spell checker in the system. Please use it.

armyman_83 said:
All the years of schooling i have had and not once have we read the Word of God in class, well besides that of our own reading time or what have you. Lets say it is discuraged. We also have a moment of scilence in the morning, in the South we get around things ^_^ so it is aka "prayer time".

Perhaps you should have taken a comparative religions class then. Schools do have them. The moment of silence has also been banned as it was clear what it was used for.

But i think Christ should still be apart of our schooling, how else do u build morals without the Word.:scratch: I always bring my Bible to school too in my back pocket(full thing too).

Hmmm...let's think here for a moment. What is school for? Oh yeah, that's right, teaching children things like science, reading, writing, critical thinking (too often ignored), and art.

Things school is not for: self-esteem and morality. You have parents and most likely a church. Learn moral there.

Additionally, I guess you think atheists, Hindus, Buddhists, and Muslims can't be moral as none of the believe in the Bible.

Upvote 0
A

armyman_83

Corey said:
Hmmm...let's think here for a moment. What is school for? Oh yeah, that's right, teaching children things like science, reading, writing, critical thinking (too often ignored), and art.
Things school is not for: self-esteem and morality. You have parents and most likely a church. Learn moral there..
Your right we should just have intelligent, unmoral heathens all about. No need to teach them about character I mean what do they need any of it for? Who really needs to learn that Christ and Christendom is good and that we should respect others, I mean really who needs it?

That just seems strange each state should decide and the state of Alabama has a moment of silence, sorry that we teach character and morals in Southern schools.

Upvote 0

Corey

Veteran
Mar 7, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
✟18,987.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
armyman_83 said:
Your right we should just have intelligent, unmoral heathens all about. No need to teach them about character I mean what do they need any of it for? Who really needs to learn that Christ and Christendom is good and that we should respect others, I mean really who needs it?

That just seems strange each state should decide and the state of Alabama has a moment of silence, sorry that we teach character and morals in Southern schools.

*sigh*

Well, they certainly didn't teach composition, rhetoric, or logic.

You'll do well to go back and reread what I posted. Please tell me where I said children should not learn morality.

Upvote 0
O

onlyjesussaves.us

Corey said:

This doesn't follow. It looks like the writer is trying to imply that banning school-sponsored prayer was bad without saying why.

:clap: Again...this is just wierdly placed.
Mr. Nice Guy!:sigh:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Wolverine502

May 28, 2004
✟351.00
Faith
Baptist
Corey said:
*sigh*

Well, they certainly didn't teach composition, rhetoric, or logic.

You'll do well to go back and reread what I posted. Please tell me where I said children should not learn morality.
And people wonder why the youth of today are so screwed up you liberal POS. By the way do you know what happened to the individual who got prayer removed from school. If I remember correctly that individual was killed. She got exactly what she deserved.

Upvote 0

funyun

aude sapere...sed praeterea, aude esse
Feb 14, 2004
Visit site
✟4,544.00
Faith
Atheist
onlyjesussaves.us said:
School prayer was taken out of US public schools in June of 1963 and in June of 1963 Bible reading was taken out also. How sad that God has been removed from the public schools in America!

This is a very good thing.

Religion is a personal, not public, issue. If u want religion, go to a church or do it in your home. You r welcome to pray in public school, but u do it yourself and to yourself; the teacher cannot initiate prayer. If he/she did, it would imply that the government is favoring one religion over all others, which is not the way we do things in America.

If u don't like that, go some theocracy soemwhere.

If u want Christianity taught in schools, then I'm assuming u don't mind for Judaism to also be taught, along with Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, Sikhism, Daoism, Jainism, and scientology, not to mention countless others. But of course, that version of Christianity must suit your own, right? Which version of Christianity shall it be? There r 33,600 denominations to choose from. Catholicism? Lutheran? Baptist? Mormon? You can't teach them all.

armyman_83 said:
All the years of schooling i have had and not once have we read the Word of God in class, well besides that of our own reading time or what have you. Lets say it is discuraged.

Religion is not discouraged at all. It is simply that one religion is not embraced over any other. This is the common "secular = anti-religious" argument, and it simply is not true.

armyman_83 said:
But i think Christ should still be apart of our schooling, how else do u build morals without the Word.:scratch:

1) Christ should not be part of public schooling, because not everybody believes in Christianity. I do not think a Hindu would like their child be preached Christianity in school as if it were the truth, just as u would not like your child being preached Hinduism in school. It's as simple as that.

2) One does not need to have the Christian "Word of God" to build morals.

3) If u do want to build morals based on a religion, go to a temple, or a church, or a synagogue, or a mosque, not a place of education.

armyman_83 said:
Your right we should just have intelligent, unmoral heathens all about.

:sigh:

1) Because one is a heathen does not mean one is immoral.

2) What is wrong with being a heathen anyway?

armyman_83 said:
No need to teach them about character I mean what do they need any of it for? Who really needs to learn that Christ and Christendom is good and that we should respect others, I mean really who needs it?

1) Character is not something attained only thru Christianity. I hate this fantasy notion that Christianity has a monopoly on morality.

2) If one wants to learn that Christ and Christendom is good, they can go visit their local church. Do u want your kid being preached to about Buddha and Buddhism in school? About how good Buddha is? About how they should become a Buddhist? No? I didn't think so.

3) Christianity is not the only religion that teaches that u should respect others. Furthermore, one does not even need to delve into religion to learn such a thing. If I remember correctly, we were taught the golden rule pretty solidly when I was in kindergarten.

armyman_83 said:

Unfortunately, school is not the place to learn these things. And once AGAIN, u do not have to be a Christian, or even be religious at all, to have good character or to have morals.

armyman_83 said:
Pray tell me why should they not learn morality??

AGAIN, u do not have to be Christian or even be a theist to be moral. And even so, school is not the place to learn such things. If u want church and school to become the exact same place, why use seperate words?

armyman_83 said:
Is it wrong to learn good??

See above.

armyman_83 said:
You must belive in seperation of church and state.

Yeah, sorry, that I believe in democracy and not theocracy. You realize that the very thing u r advocating- government mandated religion- is one of the biggest and most important reasons why this country was founded?

Wolverine502 said:
And people wonder why the youth of today are so screwed up you liberal POS. By the way do you know what happened to the individual who got prayer removed from school. If I remember correctly that individual was killed. She got exactly what she deserved.

I wonder how many rules u r breaking in this post. And I wonder if u could possible come off as being any more narrow-minded. All I see is ad hominems, mindless ranting, and sweeping generalizations.

The amound of Christian love and tolerance u show in that last sentence is also astounding.

Upvote 0

MatthewG215

Feb 16, 2004
Haverhill, MA
✟16,012.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
Wolverine502 said:
Zwah?!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Real Corona

I like Koala's
Jan 13, 2004
Alaska
✟8,143.00
Faith
Christian
Doesn't the bible say, "thou shalt not kill"?

Yet she "got what she deserved".

You don't seem very pious to me.

But of course we should force our religion on other people. I mean it worked for the Spanish right. Those silly jews and muslims, they shouldn't be allowed to go to school without being forced to read the bible.

Upvote 0

Wolverine502

May 28, 2004
✟351.00
Faith
Baptist
funyun said:
This is a very good thing.

Religion is a personal, not public, issue. If u want religion, go to a church or do it in your home. You r welcome to pray in public school, but u do it yourself and to yourself; the teacher cannot initiate prayer. If he/she did, it would imply that the government is favoring one religion over all others, which is not the way we do things in America.

If u don't like that, go some theocracy soemwhere.

If u want Christianity taught in schools, then I'm assuming u don't mind for Judaism to also be taught, along with Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, Sikhism, Daoism, Jainism, and scientology, not to mention countless others. But of course, that version of Christianity must suit your own, right? Which version of Christianity shall it be? There r 33,600 denominations to choose from. Catholicism? Lutheran? Baptist? Mormon? You can't teach them all.

Religion is not discouraged at all. It is simply that one religion is not embraced over any other. This is the common "secular = anti-religious" argument, and it simply is not true.

1) Christ should not be part of public schooling, because not everybody believes in Christianity. I do not think a Hindu would like their child be preached Christianity in school as if it were the truth, just as u would not like your child being preached Hinduism in school. It's as simple as that.

2) One does not need to have the Christian "Word of God" to build morals.

3) If u do want to build morals based on a religion, go to a temple, or a church, or a synagogue, or a mosque, not a place of education.

:sigh:

1) Because one is a heathen does not mean one is immoral.

2) What is wrong with being a heathen anyway?

1) Character is not something attained only thru Christianity. I hate this fantasy notion that Christianity has a monopoly on morality.

2) If one wants to learn that Christ and Christendom is good, they can go visit their local church. Do u want your kid being preached to about Buddha and Buddhism in school? About how good Buddha is? About how they should become a Buddhist? No? I didn't think so.

3) Christianity is not the only religion that teaches that u should respect others. Furthermore, one does not even need to delve into religion to learn such a thing. If I remember correctly, we were taught the golden rule pretty solidly when I was in kindergarten.

Unfortunately, school is not the place to learn these things. And once AGAIN, u do not have to be a Christian, or even be religious at all, to have good character or to have morals.

AGAIN, u do not have to be Christian or even be a theist to be moral. And even so, school is not the place to learn such things. If u want church and school to become the exact same place, why use seperate words?

See above.

Yeah, sorry, that I believe in democracy and not theocracy. You realize that the very thing u r advocating- government mandated religion- is one of the biggest and most important reasons why this country was founded?

I wonder how many rules u r breaking in this post. And I wonder if u could possible come off as being any more narrow-minded. All I see is ad hominems, mindless ranting, and sweeping generalizations.

The amound of Christian love and tolerance u show in that last sentence is also astounding.
Simply a idealistic adolescent with no real understanding of the real world. Where do you think your morals and values come from kid? They come from christianity; guess you had forgotten about that. Another thing kid this is our country if the foreigners or other religous groups don't like christianity being taught in schools then let them leave or be silent. Since this is a christian nation christianity should be taught in the schools. If the foreigners or other religous groups don't want to participate then they should have the option not to participate. However they should never be allowed to have it removed from school because they don't beleive in it. I repeat again if they are so offended that they want it removed then let them be silent or leave.

Upvote 0

Real Corona

I like Koala's
Jan 13, 2004
Alaska
✟8,143.00
Faith
Christian
I don't think I got my morals from christianity. Wait let me check, nope I didn't.

As to the point of foreignors, well that is just so absurd I don't even know where to start. Other than to point out that there are many American citizens who are not christian and have just as much a right to be here as you sir. Remember your parents came from somewhere outside the country as well.

And the United States is a secular nation. Look it up, it'd be good you know what it means.

Upvote 0

Wolverine502

May 28, 2004
✟351.00
Faith
Baptist
Real Corona said:
I don't think I got my morals from christianity. Wait let me check, nope I didn't.

As to the point of foreignors, well that is just so absurd I don't even know where to start. Other than to point out that there are many American citizens who are not christian and have just as much a right to be here as you sir. Remember your parents came from somewhere outside the country as well.

And the United States is a secular nation. Look it up, it'd be good you know what it means.
The United States was not a secular nation until the liberals run it into the gutter. As for the nonchristian citizens; if they don't want to participate they don't have to. On the other hand they should be silent when it comes to the rest of us.

Upvote 0