Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Universalism is the idea that everyone goes to heaven. This idea is held by some Christians, based on statements in the Bible that God wants “all men to be saved” or that imply that Jesus came to save the “whole world” (1 Timothy 2:1-4; 1 John 2:2; etc.). But these statements are qualified by many other passages of Scripture. I will show that universalism is not a biblical doctrine.

First, let’s consider how the words “all,” “every,” and “whole” are used in the Bible. These words are not always all-encompassing. That is, they are not always to be considered in a wooden literal sense as in “every last one.” Sometimes these terms, just as we use them in modern English, are hyperbole. Consider these passages:

In Mark 9:23 Jesus said that “All things are possible for one who believes.” Are literally ALL things possible for the believer? I am confident that Jesus did not mean that just because I am a believer that I could be an Olympic athlete.

In Matthew 8:34 we see that, “All the city came out to meet Jesus, and when they saw Him, they begged him to leave their region.” It is doubtful that literally every last person, including women and children, left what they were doing and went out to see Jesus to complain. The point of the passage is that Jesus became a controversial figure and well known among many in the community.

In Mark 1:5 the text says that “all” the country of Judea and “all” Jerusalem were going out to John the Baptist to be baptized in the Jordan River, and confessing their sins. The meaning of this passage is certainly not literally “all,” but rather people came from every part of Judea to be baptized.

In Luke 2:1 it is written that “In those days a decree went out from Caesar Augustus that all the world should be registered.” Obviously, that means the Roman World and not the entire globe.

In 1 Peter 1:4:7, Peter said that “The end of all things is at hand.” Believers today mistakenly think Peter was speaking of the end of all things in the physical universe, which would be the literal meaning. But since the earth is still here, he must have meant something else. That something else was that the end of all COVENANTAL THINGS were at hand. The Jews did not have a concept of the end of the literal world. Rather, they thought in theological terms. Peter was reflecting the coming end of the visible fabric of Judaism—the great temple and with it the end of ritual animal sacrifices for sin—forever. Jesus had told them that this would happen in their generation (Luke 21:22, 32). This is reflected by all of the biblical writers. For example, the writer of Hebrews said, “In speaking of a new covenant, he makes the first one obsolete. And what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away.”

In Revelation 1:7 we find the statement that “every eye will see Him” at his Parousia. Futurists take this statement literally, and read into it that every single person around the entire globe will see Jesus, aided by modern television. But this statement does not demand that every last person would see Jesus, but rather, the statement is a superlative one about the encompassing majesty of Jesus at his Parousia. There are several things that qualify the statement. Obviously, it is qualified by living persons, not dead persons. Second, it is qualified by “those who pierced Him” and “tribes of the earth” which limit the statement to the Jews of the first century. It is also qualified by other passages such as Matthew 26:64 in which tells the Jewish leaders that is THEY who will witness his coming in judgment. It is still further qualified by history. Josephus related that chariots were seen in the sky over Jerusalem in about AD 66, and stated “those who saw it. . . ”—implying that not all saw it. This event was reported by other ancient historians and satisfies the visibility requirement of Revelation 1:7.

In 1 Timothy 2:1-4 we find that God wants “all men to be saved.” However, this does not necessarily mean that all men will be saved. Given the numerous passages on election, obedience, free will, and limitations of those who are saved, this passage is best understood as “all types of people, Jews or Gentiles and whatever their station in life.”

Continued below.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,677,288.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
While universalists may be perfectly sincere in their belief, I believe they are not considering the whole counsel of God. To ignore the holy and wrathful side of God is, indeed, inventing a God to suit oneself, which is idolatry. God has provided a plan of salvation as an expression of his mercy. That plan is available to all those who accept Christ as their personal savior.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Sometimes these terms, just as we use them in modern English, are hyperbole.
Not really huperbole because all means all. Everything that is a part of that set. For example, in Science, you can have all odd or all even numbers. This is an infinite number we are told. There is no limit on how large or how small all can be. But all even numbers is not the same as all number. Even though both are infinite. We are told they have different cardinalities or sizes.

Upvote 0

Light of the East

I'm Just a Singer in an OCA Choir
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟558,882.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
While universalists may be perfectly sincere in their belief, I believe they are not considering the whole counsel of God. To ignore the holy and wrathful side of God is, indeed, inventing a God to suit oneself, which is idolatry. God has provided a plan of salvation as an expression of his mercy. That plan is available to all those who accept Christ as their personal savior.

There is no such thing as "accepting Christ as your personal savior." That is a Protestant heresy invented by Fundamentalists such as Finney and Moody. You, as a Roman Catholic, should certainly know better than this.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,677,288.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is no such thing as "accepting Christ as your personal savior." That is a Protestant heresy invented by Fundamentalists such as Finney and Moody. You, as a Roman Catholic, should certainly know better than this.
It does not negate the truth of the message of universalism being false. Just because there is not agreement in all things, it does not negate the truth. One disagreement does not negate the truth when it’s spoken. You should know better than that. The Catholic Church acknowledges truth where ever it comes from. Even with those she disagrees with. You claim Eastern Orthodoxy but I don’t see fretting too much about the teachings of your Church. So your post does not mean much.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,794.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If someone is truly repentant, prays and asks Jesus to be their "personal savior" do you think Jesus will reject them because they didn't use the correct words? I'm sure if one wanted to they could find other nit-picky things to object to.

• Agree
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0