Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
If possible, what would a unified Christian church look like? Would be the polity of the church be based on a council of bishops? Will one bishop have primacy over the other bishops? What would be the theology of that church? Lastly what Christian liturgy would follow(perhaps theByzantine Rite)? Please write a short catechism if you can to answer these questions. Personally, I would like to see Trad Catholics unify with Orthodox to bring salvation to this cruel and sordid world.

Nick Moser

Apr 13, 2018
Reno, NV
✟40,082.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I would love to see that. A unified Church would likely have multiple rites, with each of these rites in communion with Rome.
Yea but if so the pope has to be a bishop amongst equals. Also, Jorge Mario Bergoglio and Vatican II needs to go. Modernity has no place in ancient mysticism

• Agree
Reactions: straykat
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,473,143.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'd look for some very different things in a unified church. A more inclusive polity, with real power shared significantly with laity as well as clergy. I like conciliar forms of governance, but not just for bishops.

It would have to be a "broad" church; allowing for diversity of views and theologies (otherwise the unity would never hold).

Similarly, there would need to be scope for a diversity of rites, languages, cultural expressions and so on.

Upvote 0

football5680

Feb 6, 2013
Georgia
✟90,322.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I would say it would be something like the Catholic Church's relationship with the Eastern Catholics. They recognize the supremacy of the Pope but they maintain the traditions that they have held for over a thousand years. I would love to see the Catholic and Orthodox Churches unify because both are ancient and apostolic. We can just agree to disagree on some issues which is fine because even the Saints held differing view points and beliefs.

Upvote 0

Nick Moser

Apr 13, 2018
Reno, NV
✟40,082.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I'd look for some very different things in a unified church. A more inclusive polity, with real power shared significantly with laity as well as clergy. I like conciliar forms of governance, but not just for bishops.

It would have to be a "broad" church; allowing for diversity of views and theologies (otherwise the unity would never hold).

Similarly, there would need to be scope for a diversity of rites, languages, cultural expressions and so on.

Well I think a church ought to have structure and some guidelines or we might fracture into many pieces and degeneracy(such as the allowance of homosexuality and a more agonistic theology) will insue

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yea but if so the pope has to be a bishop amongst equals. Also, Jorge Mario Bergoglio and Vatican II needs to go. Modernity has no place in ancient mysticism

Having a central authority to look up to would be a good thing, imho. And unifying. I would like to see the Traditional Latin Mass make a comeback. I grew up with mostly NO, but have heard from people that the Latin is something else all together.

Reactions: Nick Moser
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,473,143.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Oh, I'm quite happy to join their church, as long as they change it to be a bit (okay, a lot) more like my church... ;)

^_^

In truth, amalgamation always changes all the parties involved, doesn't it? But there are some things which would be more important to me than others. What I posted above, I believe important for the flourishing of everyone concerned... even the ones who disagree with me.

• Prayers
Reactions: Nick Moser
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
In that case, the "unity" would be a total illusion.

Upvote 0

tz620q

Supporter
Apr 19, 2007
Carmel, IN
✟567,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If possible, what would a unified Christian church look like? Would be the polity of the church be based on a council of bishops? Will one bishop have primacy over the other bishops? What would be the theology of that church? Lastly what Christian liturgy would follow(perhaps theByzantine Rite)? Please write a short catechism if you can to answer these questions. Personally, I would like to see Trad Catholics unify with Orthodox to bring salvation to this cruel and sordid world.
It's already been done. We just need to enforce all the agreements from the Council of Florence. :sorry:

Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Supporter
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,595.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Unity of the "CHURCH" divisions is impossible.

Matthew 10:34
“Do not think that I came to bring peace on the earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword.

1 Corinthians 1:10
Now I exhort you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all agree and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be made complete in the same mind and in the same judgment.

Jude 1:19
These are the ones who cause divisions, worldly-minded, devoid of (God the Spirit.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Unity of the "CHURCH" divisions is impossible.

Matthew 10:34
“Do not think that I came to bring peace on the earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword.

1 Corinthians 1:10
Now I exhort you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all agree and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be made complete in the same mind and in the same judgment.

Jude 1:19
These are the ones who cause divisions, worldly-minded, devoid of (God the Spirit.
I don't really see how the passages you quoted prove your thesis. One of them implicitly argues against you, if anything.

Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Supporter
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,595.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God,
for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned.
1 Corinthians 2: 6-16 (NIV1984)...Wisdom From the Spirit

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

thecolorsblend

Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God,
for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned.
1 Corinthians 2: 6-16 (NIV1984)...Wisdom From the Spirit
I don't see how that relates to this thread. Like, at all.

So instead of throwing random passages of scripture at me, you could offer some remarks so that I can better understand position. Assuming your comment was directed at me.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
How many times in Scripture is it written the Ekklesia were all of one mind and one spirit ? (with each other and in Jesus)
(like in ACTS)
They lived daily (as written) "in union" with one another and with Jesus and the Father.
Not seen too often since then. Often not seen at all by some or most people.

Why not do as they do/did, as written ?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
How many times in Scripture is it written the Ekklesia were all of one mind and one spirit ? (with each other and in Jesus)
(like in ACTS)
They lived daily (as written) "in union" with one another and with Jesus and the Father.
Not seen too often since then. Often not seen at all by some or most people.

Why not do as they do/did, as written ?
On this thread, the main topic of discussion seems to have been about how to get the Catholics and the Orthodox together. That's not Christian unity, and it surely isn't what you are talking about here, Jeff.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Sounds great in theory. But only in theory.

How would diverse denominations with their respective beliefs--sincerely
held as those beliefs are--come together and agree on everything?
As Yahweh says, not by might, nor by power, but by MY SPIRIT says the Lord of Hosts.
(no theory ever, nor at all -- plain and simple and true same as in all Scripture)
This , btw, HAS BEEN ACCOMPLISHED in our lifetimes.
Not for many, no. Never was it for many. (remember, as written).
1 Corinthians 2: 6-16 (NIV1984)

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟728,115.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
If possible, what would a unified Christian church look like?

If there was an easy, obvious, and universally accepted answer to that, then there'd be no divisions amongst us. It is precisely because we don't agree what that looks like that there is disunity in the Body.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0