Visit site
✟15,263.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I totally disagree with the notion that the only unpardonable sin is dying lost... I think that's a moot point because after death, there is no possibility of pardon... Hence, it's unpardonable, but yet it doesn't speak to the point of there being an unpardonable sin that people can COMMIT while still alive... and yes, there is an unpardonable sin that people can COMMIT while still alive. That is blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. I think that many people are taking the blasphemy thing too loosely in interpretation. Looking at the context and at the literal meaning of the Word, it clearly means speaking out against the working of the Holy Spirit.

Remember that in the story line of Matt. 12:22-32, Jesus specifically made a distinction between blaspheming against Himself and blaspheming against the Holy Spirit (v. 32). Therefore, blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is not simply speaking against the Holy Spirit's work in salvation and therefore denying the sacrifice of Christ. Many people have denied the sacrifice of Christ for years before truly becoming a believer. Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit speaks of denying any working of the Holy Spirit, hence you are taking the glory away from Him and elevating your own "ideas" or "theories" above the power of God.

I love you and God bless.

Upvote 0

reeann

Trust and Obey
Nov 11, 2002
South Carolina
Visit site
✟8,692.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
sin = separation from God.

1 John 1 :: New American Standard Bible (NASB)

1 John 1

God Is Light

5 (18) This is the message we have heard from Him and announce to you, that (19) God is Light, and in Him there is no darkness at all.
6 (20) If we say that we have fellowship with Him and yet walk in the darkness, we (21) lie and (22) do not practice the truth;
7 but if we (23) walk in the Light as (24) He Himself is in the Light, we have fellowship with one another, and (25) the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin.
8 (26) If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the (27) truth is not in us.
9 (28) If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and (29) to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
10 (30) If we say that we have not sinned, we (31) make Him a liar and (32) His word is not in us.

To say Christians have no sin in their lives is a serious mistake.

From Mellymell: "Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit speaks of denying any working of the Holy Spirit, hence you are taking the glory away from Him and elevating your own "ideas" or "theories" above the power of God."

To sin is to go against the Spirit indwelling within you. Under your belief, you can lose your salvation at any point in which you deny the working of the Holy Spirit within yourself.

Can you check your heart and honestly say you don't have some sin in there?
Careful how you measure, the same measure will be used against you.

HOWEVER, Christians, beware, not heeding to the guidance of the Holy Spirit within your time you are here definitely has consequences. What do you want to place before the feet of Jesus in heaven? Your apologies, or crowns with many jewels.

Revelation 4:9:

9 And when the living creatures give glory and honor and thanks to Him who (34) sits on the throne, to (35) Him who lives forever and ever,
10 the (36) twenty-four elders will (37) fall down before Him who (38) sits on the throne, and will worship (39) Him who lives forever and ever, and will cast their (40) crowns before the throne, saying,
11 "(41) Worthy are You, our Lord and our God, to receive glory and honor and power; for You (42) created all things, and because of Your will they existed, and were created."

Upvote 0

Salt

Sep 16, 2002
Texas
Visit site
✟143.00
But when the Pharisees heard [it], they said, This [fellow] doth not cast out devils, but by Beelzebub the prince of the devils.And Jesus knew their thoughts, and said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand, And if Satan cast out Satan, he is divided against himself; how shall then his kingdom stand,And if I by Beelzebub cast out devils, by whom do your children cast [them] out? therefore they shall be your judges. But if I cast out devils by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God is come unto you. Or else how can one enter into a strong man's house, and spoil his goods, except he first bind the strong man? and then he will spoil his house. He that is not with me is against me; and he that gathereth not with me scattereth abroad. Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy [against] the [Holy] Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men. And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the [world] to come.

Matthew 12--KJV

It is not in rejecting the Holy Spirit that is unforgiveable....Because every day we christians reject him on many different thing's......When he deals with us about particular""thing'' in our life ...do we always submit right away-so when after a while He quit's dealing with us and all of a sudden we find our self...being chasten by God...Mastigo in the hebrew means to ...beat whip or flog into submission---also means chasten-

2 sam-7;`14   psalms 6;1  psalms 38;1 proverbs 19;18 rev 3;19

Hebrews 12;7

What is the unforgivable sin----It is Giving Glory to satan for something that God has done----The 12 chap of matthew clearly shows the teachers and lawyers of that day....were saying to jesus....You are doing this by the power of satan....which Jesus said....a kingdom divided cannot stand,,,salt

Upvote 0
many reject the holy spirit from time to time,but it is another evil most henious to attribute the workings and power of the Holy Spirit to satan........it seems these in question not only rejected God the Father..and God the Son...and God the HolySpirit...but actually had come to the point of calling "good evil,and evil good"......what a deal!

Upvote 0

Ashtilly

Dec 29, 2004
✟112.00
Faith
Pentecostal
I have a question. Sorry if this seems out of place because I hav'nt read all the posts yet.
I've always thought that to blaspheme is to offend in some way. I had gotten saved, that is, baptized in the spirit. But then I read the bible verse about how to blaspheme the spirit is an unforgivable sin. Then I got the idea in my head that I just couldn't fight that sin, and, oh no, I was going to commit it, and indeed I did commit it, in my mind, which is just as much of a sin as if you were to say it with your mouth.

But after the torment of sin God forgave me and my sins were washed away. However, I thought again that I couldn't fight it. I know that I could of, but, well, lets just say that I did it again. and again and again after he forgave me, each time. Now I remember that in church awhile ago a preacher said that there was a time when God would not forgive you and that it was a very dangerous position. Could that perhaps be the position that im in now? Could there be a chance that God will never forgive me and this stupid stain will never be washed away?

Upvote 0

Blank123

Legend
Dec 6, 2003
✟56,875.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I've been going back and forth about this verse myself, but I think when you go back and look at the larger context it makes more sense.

The scribes were running Him down, by calling him Satan, and the work that He had been doing, such as driving out demons. The were denying His Deity, and teaching others that He was not who He claimed to be, and essentially calling Him a liar. That is when He told them that anyone who blasphemes the Holy Spirit has committed the unforgiveable sin.

So I'm leaning towards the belief that if one chooses to reject the free gift of salvation then yes they are guilty of the unforgiveable sin, because they are essentially saying they do not believe Him when He Says that He is God and that it is only through Him that one can be saved, and they try to turn Him into Someone He isn't, or dismiss the idea of His existance altogether. but the good news is, God gives us many chances to accept that gift and recieve forgiveness.

But then I read the bible verse about how to blaspheme the spirit is an unforgivable sin. Then I got the idea in my head that I just couldn't fight that sin, and, oh no, I was going to commit it, and indeed I did commit it, in my mind, which is just as much of a sin as if you were to say it with your mouth.

you can only commit this sin if you truly mean it, there is no way to accidentally blaspheme the Holy Spirit. this is a sin that requires not only your mouth to speak the words, but your mind and soul to wholeheartedly believe what you are saying. Judging by your post here, I would say that you have not committed this sin, and you can still claim God's grace and forgiveness.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.