Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think we can see the answer to this in the fact that there are 40,000 different denominations...they can't all be right...

The interpretation of scripture does not represent a major difference between denominations. Many are simply ethnic or cultural in nature. I wouldn't attend a church where Spanish was the only language spoken (I don't understand Spanish).

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Really? I dunno. The people I am mainly speaking of are usually not even involved with Forums or discussion groups. Come to think of it, that could actually be a contributing factor. Just like the misguided notion that responding negatively to an objectionable personality is the proof for some people that they somehow possess the quality of just oozing "Discernment", many people swear they will not study the Bible with others because they "know" it is the Holy Spirit's guidance that brings them to certain Biblical conclusions from solitary reading.

All study is profitable: Pastor led study, lay group study, and personal study. I believe the Holy Spirit speaks to any desiring truth. However, there are hidden themes in the bible that are best left to personal belief.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thank you. I'll check it out.

Before i check out the link, do you know why it's copyrighted in the UK?

From the link:

F. F. Bruce confirmed this fact in The Canon of Scripture: "Before the Declaration of Independence American Christians were debarred by British copyright regulations from printing the English Bible" (p. 111, note 24). It is of particular interest to find that after the American Revolution had created a new nation, "an effort was made in its first Congress to restrict the printing of the [Bible] to licensed houses," but this effort "was cut short by the first amendment to the Constitution, and the book was thrown into the hands of the trade at large, with anything but a beneficial effect on its general integrity" (Cyclopedia of Biblical, Theological,and Ecclesiastical Literature, edited by John M'Clintock and James Strong, vol. I, p. 563).

• Informative
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
  • Informative
Upvote 0

Big Drew

Believer
Site Supporter
Nov 10, 2009
Alabama
✟74,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The interpretation of scripture does not represent a major difference between denominations. Many are simply ethnic or cultural in nature. I wouldn't attend a church where Spanish was the only language spoken (I don't understand Spanish).
Well, interpretation of scripture has lead to multiple beliefs on communion, baptism, salvation, what part works plays in our salvation vs grace alone...these are things that have caused the division within the Body...and there are many more.

Upvote 0

Willie T

St. Petersburg Vineyard
Oct 12, 2012
St. Petersburg, FL
✟68,979.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think we can see the answer to this in the fact that there are 40,000 different denominations...they can't all be right...
Probably just the one I belong to, right? Or is it the one you belong to? Or Alice? Or Joe?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Upvote 0

nChrist

AKA: Tom - Saved By Grace Through Faith
Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Copyright laws vary around the world. Generally, in the U.S.:

Works published before 1923 are out of copyright and in the public domain - or

Works published before 1964 without a copyright renewal within 28 years of publication are out of copyright and in the public domain.

Yes, the KJV is still under copyright - but only in the UK. The KJV is considered to be public domain in the U.S.

• Informative
Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Copyright laws vary around the world. Generally, in the U.S.:

Works published before 1923 are out of copyright and in the public domain - or

Works published before 1964 without a copyright renewal within 28 years of publication are out of copyright and in the public domain.

Yes, the KJV is still under copyright - but only in the UK. The KJV is considered to be public domain in the U.S.

Thank you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well, interpretation of scripture has lead to multiple beliefs on communion, baptism, salvation, what part works plays in our salvation vs grace alone...these are things that have caused the division within the Body...and there are many more.

This is true.

Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
The comments on John 1:5 got me curious. So I looked up in Strong's.

Here is the page: Strong's Greek: 2638. καταλαμβάνω (katalambanó) -- to lay hold of, seize

Reading the 15 verses in the NT where this word occurs says to me that the Greek word can validly be translated both ways.
One of the things that I understand to happen from Bible days to today is that languages have grown considerable in the number of words in the language. That says to me that words in the ancient world were often much broader in their meaning than today where we have words to describe nuance of things that ancient languages didn't have.

Upvote 0

Greyy

Mar 7, 2017
XX
✟9,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The comments on John 1:5 got me curious. So I looked up in Strong's.

Here is the page: Strong's Greek: 2638. καταλαμβάνω (katalambanó) -- to lay hold of, seize

Reading the 15 verses in the NT where this word occurs says to me that the Greek word can validly be translated both ways.
One of the things that I understand to happen from Bible days to today is that languages have grown considerable in the number of words in the language. That says to me that words in the ancient world were often much broader in their meaning than today where we have words to describe nuance of things that ancient languages didn't have.

The issue has to do with how language in general work. Languages don't translate word for word. Greek was more nuanced than English. English is quite stripped down in overall structure.

When translating from one language to another, there are multiple ways of expressing certain concepts.

Upvote 0