• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

Undercover investigation reveals evidence of unequal treatment by real estate agents

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by SummerMadness, Nov 22, 2019.

1. SummerMadness

SummerMadness Senior Veteran

+8,760
    Christian
    Undercover investigation reveals evidence of unequal treatment by real estate agents

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. OldWiseGuy

OldWiseGuy Wake me when it's soup. Supporter

+6,945
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
  3. Chesterton

Chesterton Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding Supporter

+16,099
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    How can a community be "overwhelmingly minority"? ^_^

4. SummerMadness

+8,760
    Christian
    Easy. If there is a distribution across the country, but a local area does not reflect this distribution, then it suggests that the minority population likely has greater representation in that local area. Do you understand that a local area is being compared to the global area (i.e., the United States population)?

5. Chesterton

+16,099
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    The global area is mostly Chinese.

6. SummerMadness

+8,760
    Christian
    I already explained the global area refers to the United States as this news story is about the United States and racial discrimination in the United States. Please stay on-topic and avoid obvious trolling of the thread. If you want to understand the topic, read the article.

7. OldWiseGuy

+6,945
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    I would think that directing white buyers into a minority neighborhood would be the start of displacing those minorities. I think they call it "gentrification". Higher income white owners often cause home values, property taxes, and prices to rise, often pricing minorities out of those neighborhoods. It is also common for home values to decline when minorities move in due to "white flight" from those neighborhoods, and the inability of those minorities to maintain the properties.

I think the jury may be out on whether brokers are causing this or just going with the reality of the situation.

8. Chesterton

+16,099
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Of course I read the article, that's where I found the comical phrase "overwhelmingly minority". It's just making up definitions to say whatever you want facts to say.

9. SummerMadness

+8,760
    Christian
    If people have the same financial profile and are steered toward different communities, then you're "going with reality," that is treating people different based on skin color as opposed to the financial profile and the communities they express interest in.

10. OldWiseGuy

+6,945
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    For that we need a case-by-case analysis.

11. SummerMadness

+8,760
    Christian
    No, you wouldn't need a case-by-case analysis.

12. Occams Barber

Occams Barber Newbie Supporter

+2,204
    Australia
    Atheist
    Divorced

It's always a good idea to read an article before you comment.

The investigation used a known and accepted methodology called "paired testing", to assess discrimination i.e.:

Two undercover testers – for example, one black and one white – separately solicit an agent’s assistance in buying houses. They present similar financial profiles and request identical terms for houses in the same areas. The agent’s actions are then reviewed for evidence that the agent provided disparate service.
    If you read the entire article you might also discover a number of other things you didn't know you didn't know.
    OB

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. OldWiseGuy

+6,945
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others

I asked questions. I didn't 'comment'.

14. SummerMadness

+8,760
    Christian
    Your questions demonstrate that you didn't read or understand the article because the question was answered directly by the article itself.

15. OldWiseGuy

+6,945
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    The investigators did. Why can't all of their cases be revealed, in detail. Otherwise we're just taking their word for it.

16. OldWiseGuy

+6,945
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    I knew where the article was going. I believe there's more going on there than is generally appreciated.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  17. SummerMadness

+8,760
    Christian
    Read the article, it's quite simple. You asked a question already discussed in the article.

18. OldWiseGuy

+6,945
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    I read the article, until it became a rabbit hole. Actually the title says it all. All that remains are the arrests and convictions.

I believe realtors are doing what they believe is in the best interests of the city.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
  19. iluvatar5150

iluvatar5150 Well-Known Member

+11,181
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Democrat
    It’s not.

That doesn’t mean that they’re correct or that they’re not acting in a racist manner.