Fort Mill
✟16,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
The important thing is to have your soul intact. As Christ teaches, those that endure to the end, the same shall be saved. And in your patience, possess ye your souls.

Yes, this happens after the tribulation- after the great harlot Babylon has been judged.

And of course they're celebrating in Heaven.

Revelation 19:7 "Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour to him: for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and his wife hath made herself ready."

We see that it's coming.

And his wife are the saints he brings with him that have passed on and the saints that made it through tribulation and endured to the end as Christ taught. Not one of the 5 foolish virgins. They remained true and stood, and some overcame Satan by the word of their testimony as stated in all of these verses. John is in fact a second witness to Christ's teachings in the gospels on this.

Mark 13:10 "And the gospel must first be published among all nation

Mark 13:11 "But when they shall lead you, and deliver you up, take no thought beforehand what ye shall speak, neither do ye premeditate: but whatsoever shall be given you in that hour, that speak ye: for it is not ye that speak, but the Holy Ghost(Spirit)."

Holy Spirit will be there btw, Christ states it.

Revelation 2:10 "Fear none of those things which thou shalt suffer: behold, the devil shall cast some of you into prison, that ye may be tried; and ye shall have tribulation ten days: be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life.

Revelation 12:11 "And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death."

Luke 21:19 "In your patience possess ye your souls."

Revelation 14:12 Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus."

Again, here is writing down a second witness to Christ teachings in the gospels.

Revelation 19:8 "And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints."

Everyone keeps trying to use the word "church" to fit their doctrine. But we see here it is indeed the saints that take part in the wedding feast. The same saints that had their full gospel armour on as Paul taught.

Ephesians 6:13 "Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God that ye may be able to with stand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

Revelation 19:9 "And he saith unto me, Write, Blessed are they which are called unto the marriage supper of the Lamb. And he saith unto me, These are the true sayings of God."

He tells John to write blessed are they which are called unto the marriage supper. So we see at this point the supper hasn't taken place yet.

Revelation 19:11 "And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war."

Heaven is opened at this point.

Revelation 19:14 "And the armies which were in heaven followed him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean."

These are the saints that Christ bring with him that have passed on. Again, the supper hasn't happened yet.

Revelation 19:15 "And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God.

Revelation 19:16 "And he hath on His vesture and on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS."

Revelation 19:17 "And I saw an angel standing in the sun; and he cried with a loud voice, saying to all the fowls that fly in the midst of heaven, Come and gather yourselves together unto the supper of the great God;"

Revelation 19:18 "That ye may eat the flesh of kings, and the flesh of captains, and the flesh of mighty men, and the flesh of horses, and of them that sit on them, and the flesh of all men both free and bond, both small and great."

Midst of heaven in this verse means mid sky. But we see now comes the gathering of the supper. This takes place after Christ returns, they have left Heaven.

Verse 17 and 18 should take us to what Ezekiel taught in chapter 39 after the battles. Everything happens on the first day when Christ returns.

Ezekiel 39:17 "And, thou son of man, thus saith the Lord God; Speak unto every feathered fowl, and to every beast of the field, Assemble yourselves, and come; gather yourselves on every side to My sacrifice that I do sacrifice for you, even a great sacrifice upon the mountains of Israel, that ye may eat flesh, and drink blood."

Ezekiel 39:18 "Ye shall eat the flesh of the mighty, and drink blood of the princes of the earth, of rams, of lambs, and of goats, of bullocks, all of them fatlings of Bashan.

When you go to copy a quote you want to post (left click) a quote link should appear.

I know this is long but I'd rather post scripture above anything else.

Upvote 0

Edstano

Jul 27, 2020
Fort Mill
✟16,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Julie you say.
Revelation 19:7 "Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour to him: for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and his wife hath made herself ready." We see that it's coming

My reply, No Julie, "is come" means it has come, and the wife hath made herself ready by putting on clean white linen garments per the next verse Revelation 19:8 "And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints."

You quote, Revelation 19:9 "And he saith unto me, Write, Blessed are they which are called unto the marriage supper of the Lamb. And he saith unto me, These are the true sayings of God." He tells John to write blessed are they which are called unto the marriage supper. So we see at this point the supper hasn't taken place yet.

My reply, No , Julie, the angel is telling John to write down which just took place, that is, the Wedding Supper of the Lamb. Summary: The time for the Wedding Supper has come, the wife was given white linen garments to wear, now the angel tells John to record what just took place.

You quote, Revelation 19:17 "And I saw an angel standing in the sun; and he cried with a loud voice, saying to all the fowls that fly in the midst of heaven, Come and gather yourselves together unto the supper of the great God;"Revelation 19:18 "That ye may eat the flesh of kings, and the flesh of captains, and the flesh of mighty men, and the flesh of horses, and of them that sit on them, and the flesh of all men both free and bond, both small and great." ---- But we see now comes the gathering of the supper. This takes place after Christ returns, they have left Heaven.

My reply, Julie, this "supper" is not the "Wedding Supper" This is the supper for all fouls that fly, Christ and his army is going to kill captains, mighty men horses etc. Rev. 19:21, "--and the birds gorged themselves on their flesh."

I believe this is what you mean by your posting?

Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Watching and Praying Always
Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟207,216.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
You ask, "And why do you think Philadelphia represents the modern church? Why not one of the other churches to whom the Apocalypse was written?"

Because the text indicates so, that is, the whole world wasn't explored when John wrote the Apocalypse. This church specifically mentions the Great Tribulation which will test everyone alive. Also since Philadelphia is the last church mentioned who else could it then be? None of the other churches mentions anything about testing the whole world or anything about keeping the faithful from the trials of the Great Tribulation.

John was prophesying ahead about this church, while we now have the advantage of looking back over the last 2000 years, as a result, we now know what season we are in, that is, the very last days. Mat. 24:3, the Apostles asked Jesus what will be the signs of His 2nd coming be and the END of the AGE? Jesus lists, deception by false teachers, wars, Nations against each other, famines, earthquakes, wickedness, loss of love, and the gospel of the kingdom will be preached to the whole world then, the END WILL COME. God then takes out in the rapture the born again believers. The Grace Age Ends. But

Mat. 24:15 continues, He deals with the Jews (the abomination standing in the holy place) and people who missed the rapture. Then cone the Great Tribulation, plagues, sun is darkened, moon gives no light, heavenly bodies shaken, and the 2nd coming.

Therefore, Rev.3:10, makes much sense and nails down the pre-tribe rapture. "Since you have kept my command to endure patiently, I will keep you from the hour of trail that is going to come upon the WHOLE WORLD to TEST those who live on the earth."

The last church mentioned out of the 7 is Laodicea, not Philadelphia, and that's WAY more close to modern churches than Philadelphia
neither cold nor hot, spewed out of Jesus' mouth.

Upvote 0
Jul 4, 2020
Chicago
✟12,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The last church mentioned out of the 7 is Laodicea, not Philadelphia, and that's WAY more close to modern churches than Philadelphia
neither cold nor hot, spewed out of Jesus' mouth.

Also Revelation is a very symbolic book full of imagery and figurative language. Jesus is not spitting anyone out of his mouth literally.

Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟207,216.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

Also Revelation is a very symbolic book full of imagery and figurative language. Jesus is not spitting anyone out of his mouth literally.

Yes I know it's figurative language but the sentiment is that Jesus does not have a lot of favor towards the church of Laodicea because they're lukewarm about their faith.

Upvote 0
Jul 4, 2020
Chicago
✟12,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes I know it's figurative language but the sentiment is that Jesus does not have a lot of favor towards the church of Laodicea because they're lukewarm about their faith.
Did you watch the video?

Upvote 0

JulieB67

Apr 21, 2020
Ohio US
✟150,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My reply, Julie, this "supper" is not the "Wedding Supper" This is the supper for all fouls that fly, Christ and his army is going to kill captains, mighty men horses etc. Rev. 19:21, "--and the birds gorged themselves on their flesh."

Everyone and everything will be rejoicing and feasting at that point in time. All of the overcomers.

Revelation 19:14 "And the armies which were in heaven followed him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean.

They are arrayed in their fine linen here.

The bible has to be taken as a whole to get a complete picture, old and new.

Again, we can look to Isaiah 25 as well that describes the great feast on the mountain.

Isaiah 25:6 "And in this mountain shall the Lord of hosts make unto all people a feast of fat things, a feast of wines on the lees, and fat things full of marrow, of wines on the lees well refined."

Isaiah 25:7 "And He will destroy in this mountain the face of the covering cast over all people, and the vail that is spread over all nations

The spirit of slumber will be lifted as the vail is removed.

Isaiah 25:8 "He will swallow up death in victory; and the Lord God will wipe away tears from off all faces; and the rebuke of His People shall He take away from off all the earth: for the Lord hath spoken it."

Again, this is looking to a future time.

Isaiah 25:9 "And it shall be said in that day, "Lo, this is our God; we have waited for Him, and He will save us: this is the Lord; we have waited for Him, we will be glad and rejoice in His salvation.

Hosea 9:5 "What will ye do in the solemn day, and in the day of the feast of the Lord.

Again, this happens on the Lord's Day/Day of the Lord. We are to wait on the true Christ's return.

What you seem to be saying going by your belief in the Revelation 19 verses is that it will take the entire tribulation for raptured people to make themselves ready for the marriage supper in Heaven?

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
You ask, "And why do you think Philadelphia represents the modern church? Why not one of the other churches to whom the Apocalypse was written?"

Because the text indicates so, that is, the whole world wasn't explored when John wrote the Apocalypse.

Except that Revelation 3:10 doesn't mention the entire planet earth, it mentions the oikoumene, the inhabited world, i.e. the civilized world of the Roman Empire.

This church specifically mentions the Great Tribulation which will test everyone alive.

Well, no, it mentions the horas tou peirasmou, the "hour of testing" or "hour of temptation".

But even more than this, is the underlying assumption that "tribulation" must refer to some future period of time at or near the end of the age. Except Scripture doesn't actually say this.

Also since Philadelphia is the last church mentioned who else could it then be?

Let's pretend for a moment that that the churches do refer to church ages, even though there's no reason to believe this. But let's pretend for a moment that this idea could be true: Your entire assumption then is that we are living in the last hours of the Church, but there's no way you could possibly know this. So you are simply making that assumption.

But, and this is really important, there is no reason to believe the seven churches refer to different periods of ecclesiastical history. There is nothing in the text that would even hint at this. As such this is an interpretation without any basis in the text, it is pure imagination.

None of the other churches mentions anything about testing the whole world or anything about keeping the faithful from the trials of the Great Tribulation.

And nothing in the words directed at the Church in Philadelphia says this either.

John was prophesying ahead about this church,

This is an assumption you are making, on what basis do you make this assumption?

while we now have the advantage of looking back over the last 2000 years, as a result, we now know what season we are in, that is, the very last days.

This is in clear and explicit odds with Scripture, which tells us that it is not for us to know the times and seasons which God has prepared; and that no one can know the time of Christ's return and of the end.

Mat. 24:3, the Apostles asked Jesus what will be the signs of His 2nd coming be and the END of the AGE? Jesus lists, deception by false teachers, wars, Nations against each other, famines, earthquakes, wickedness, loss of love, and the gospel of the kingdom will be preached to the whole world then, the END WILL COME. God then takes out in the rapture the born again believers. The Grace Age Ends. But

Re-read the passage. Jesus is explicitly clear that these things you list are NOT signs of the end. Jesus' warning here is that we not look at the world around us, seeing wars, rumors of wars, kingdoms rising against kingdoms, earthquakes, famines, and other natural disasters and think that we are at the end. Because we're not. Wars, rumors of wars, natural disasters, disease, false prophets, false messiahs--these are not signs of the end. These are merely the birth pangs of a world broken and laboring under sin. We have had these thins since the beginning, and will continue to see them right until the end.

You think that there are more wars? More conflicts? More diseases? More famines? More false prophets? There's not. Anyone who bothers to study history can tell you this. There is nothing special about our day than from any past day. False prophets? Simon Magus, Montanus, Mani, Muhammad, the so-called Zwickau Prophets, Joseph Smith, all throughout history. False messiahs? Theudas, Simon bar Kochba, Moses of Crete, Abu Isa, Solomon Molcho, Sabbati Zvi, Jacob Joseph Frank, again all through history.

Wars? How about the Jewish-Roman War? The Bar Kochba Rebellion? The Crisis of the Third Century? The Roman-Persian wars, the Wars with the Goths, the Islamic invasions of the Levant and North Africa, the Reconquista, the Crusades. And that's just a tiny handful of conflicts restricted to the Mediteranean.

Natural disasters? How about the destruction of Pompeii with the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius? The 749 Galillee earthquake killed tens of thousands and reduced three whole cities to ruins. The 1138 Aleppo earthquake killed as many as 250,000 people.

Diseases? The Plague of Justinian killed upwards of 100 million people. The Black Death alone wiped as much as 200 million people, over half of the entire population in Europe. The contact between Europeans and the Native Americans caused as much as 90% of the entire population of the Americas to be wiped out--by the time Europeans were making permanent settlements in North America, believing they came upon a pristine wilderness they only thought that because the inhabitants had died, in the tens of millions. The population of Mexico dropped from about 4 million to only 300,000 following contact with the Spanish.

The rise and fall of empires and kingdoms? Rome? Gone. The Persian Empire? Gone. The Islamic Calphates? Gone. The Ottomans? Gone. The Mongol Empire? Gone. The rise and fall of Chinese dynasties? Many. Kingdoms rise, kingdoms fall, nations war, nations crumble.

This is history. It's been happening forever. It is not the end of the world, it's just what the world looks like.

Mat. 24:15 continues, He deals with the Jews (the abomination standing in the holy place) and people who missed the rapture. Then cone the Great Tribulation, plagues, sun is darkened, moon gives no light, heavenly bodies shaken, and the 2nd coming.

That already happened, in 70 AD. The Zealots in their bid for independence against the Romans took over the city of Jerusalem, entered into the Temple, slaughtered the priests, committed abominations in it, desecrating it. Then the Romans came and seized the city, slaughtering the Zealots, destroying the Temple in the process. The abomination that causes desolation happened two thousand years ago.

Therefore, Rev.3:10, makes much sense and nails down the pre-tribe rapture. "Since you have kept my command to endure patiently, I will keep you from the hour of trail that is going to come upon the WHOLE WORLD to TEST those who live on the earth."

So, like I already knew--you have no basis for what you are saying. You are ignoring the context of Scripture, denying the history of what has already transpired, and are working from baseless assumption.

This isn't a personal attack mind you. I used to believe as you do, because it's the only thing I knew. And it all sounds like it might almost make sense as long as you don't think too hard about it and don't let things like the Bible and history get in the way.

I want to challenge you to really take an honest look at the Scriptures here.

Why do you believe the churches in Revelation refer to church ages? Why would you think this is the case? Does the text tell you this, if so, where?

Why do you believe that the contents of the Revelation refer to the "end times"? Does the text tell you this? If so, where?

Why do you believe that Jesus' warnings in the Olivet Discourse have to do with the end times? Does Jesus say these are signs of the end times? Or does He actually say just the opposite?

Why wouldn't you take Jesus' words about the destruction of Jerusalem as being about the destruction of Jerusalem, but instead something else? There's no temple in Jerusalem, it's gone--it was destroyed by the Romans two millennia ago, and it happened just as Jesus said it would. Go and read the histories of Josephus, an eye-witness to the destruction of Jerusalem, or read the histories of Eusebius and other ancient Church historians who very clearly record the events that took place just as Jesus had said. Because the ancient Church knew that Jesus was talking about the destruction of Jerusalem, for them that was a no-brainer.

I want you to try something:

When you read the Bible, read what it says. Notice the things the text does say, but even more importantly, I want you to pay attention to what the text doesn't say. Then I want you to go and look to see how Christians have historically understood and interpreted the text. What do the ancient fathers say? What do the theologians and exegetes, both East and West, how do they read and interpret the text? How have Christians, historically, from the time of the Apostles onward, how have they read and understood the texts? Pay attention to where they are in agreement, and also take notice when and where they have differences of opinion.

Because if what you think is in the Bible isn't actually in the Bible; and if no Christian at all in history ever believed these things, then don't you think that maybe that's indicative of a problem in how you are approaching the text?

Because at that point the argument you have to make is why you are right, but every Christian before 1820 was wrong.

And please, don't go to websites that only offer mined quotes without any sourcing, any citations, and without any context. Look at the actual primary source material yourself as much as is possible.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

The interesting thing about them being "lukewarm" is that it really does seem to have to do with the fact that they were enjoying comfortable lives while their brethren were facing hardship. Which is why Jesus tells them that they believe they are rich, but in truth they are poor, and that they should ask Him for gold refined in fire. Because it is through the fire of trial and testing that the Church is boldened in her work. This is why Tertullian could say that the blood of the martyrs are the seeds of the Church. For every martyr whose blood was spilled by the Roman authorities, the Gospel took root in the fertile soil watered by their blood.

The warning given to Laodicea is a powerful warning to us, and all Christians, throughout history. That our comforts can make us placid. It is easy to ignore the poor, the hungry, the thirsty, and the needy in our midst, it is easy to ignore our neighbor while we are doing well. Our material comfort and wealth is, in this, indeed a spiritual poverty.

Because it's not about being hot or cold (as some of my childhood teachers said, speaking about one's passion of faith), but rather about whether we are useful or useless. Hot water is useful, cold water is useful, but lukewarm, stale, tepid water is useless.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟207,216.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Did you watch the video?
Yeah but it's another way of saying the same thing.
Sure Jesus isn't going to REJECT a church that's kinda wishy washy and lukewarm with their faith (in the sense that they're not spreading the gospel), but that church isn't very useful.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jamdoc

Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟207,216.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
The interesting thing about them being "lukewarm" is that it really does seem to have to do with the fact that they were enjoying comfortable lives while their brethren were facing hardship. Which is why Jesus tells them that they believe they are rich, but in truth they are poor, and that they should ask Him for gold refined in fire. Because it is through the fire of trial and testing that the Church is boldened in her work. This is why Tertullian could say that the blood of the martyrs are the seeds of the Church. For every martyr whose blood was spilled by the Roman authorities, the Gospel took root in the fertile soil watered by their blood.

The warning given to Laodicea is a powerful warning to us, and all Christians, throughout history. That our comforts can make us placid. It is easy to ignore the poor, the hungry, the thirsty, and the needy in our midst, it is easy to ignore our neighbor while we are doing well. Our material comfort and wealth is, in this, indeed a spiritual poverty.

Because it's not about being hot or cold (as some of my childhood teachers said, speaking about one's passion of faith), but rather about whether we are useful or useless. Hot water is useful, cold water is useful, but lukewarm, stale, tepid water is useless.

-CryptoLutheran

It's kind of the same thing though. different way of saying it, when I think cold and hot when it comes to faith in that context I think of just different extremes of how the preaching is done, cold might be your fire and brimstone teaching, teaching people about how they're sinners who deserve hell, it's useful, it converts. hot might be that they just love the Lord and are enthusiastic about sharing that love, that can convert too. But lukewarm, where they're not passionately sharing the gospel out of love for the Lord, or telling people the cold hard truths about their sin, where it's just keeping a tepid comfortable social environment.. that's useless, that doesn't convert, that bores people and they don't come to church, they backslide.

We got a lot of Lukewarm Churches, don't say anything "offensive" none of the cold hard truth about sin, and they aren't expressing joy in the Lord, it's like just a rote thing they do, as George Carlin put it "it's a building where they go once a week to compare clothes".

Upvote 0

Edstano

Jul 27, 2020
Fort Mill
✟16,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Except that Revelation 3:10 doesn't mention the entire planet earth, it mentions the oikoumene, the inhabited world, i.e. the civilized world of the Roman Empire.

Well, no, it mentions the horas tou peirasmou, the "hour of testing" or "hour of temptation".

But even more than this, is the underlying assumption that "tribulation" must refer to some future period of time at or near the end of the age. Except Scripture doesn't actually say this.

Let's pretend for a moment that that the churches do refer to church ages, even though there's no reason to believe this. But let's pretend for a moment that this idea could be true: Your entire assumption then is that we are living in the last hours of the Church, but there's no way you could possibly know this. So you are simply making that assumption.

But, and this is really important, there is no reason to believe the seven churches refer to different periods of ecclesiastical history. There is nothing in the text that would even hint at this. As such this is an interpretation without any basis in the text, it is pure imagination.

And nothing in the words directed at the Church in Philadelphia says this either.

This is an assumption you are making, on what basis do you make this assumption?

This is in clear and explicit odds with Scripture, which tells us that it is not for us to know the times and seasons which God has prepared; and that no one can know the time of Christ's return and of the end.

Re-read the passage. Jesus is explicitly clear that these things you list are NOT signs of the end. Jesus' warning here is that we not look at the world around us, seeing wars, rumors of wars, kingdoms rising against kingdoms, earthquakes, famines, and other natural disasters and think that we are at the end. Because we're not. Wars, rumors of wars, natural disasters, disease, false prophets, false messiahs--these are not signs of the end. These are merely the birth pangs of a world broken and laboring under sin. We have had these thins since the beginning, and will continue to see them right until the end.

You think that there are more wars? More conflicts? More diseases? More famines? More false prophets? There's not. Anyone who bothers to study history can tell you this. There is nothing special about our day than from any past day. False prophets? Simon Magus, Montanus, Mani, Muhammad, the so-called Zwickau Prophets, Joseph Smith, all throughout history. False messiahs? Theudas, Simon bar Kochba, Moses of Crete, Abu Isa, Solomon Molcho, Sabbati Zvi, Jacob Joseph Frank, again all through history.

Wars? How about the Jewish-Roman War? The Bar Kochba Rebellion? The Crisis of the Third Century? The Roman-Persian wars, the Wars with the Goths, the Islamic invasions of the Levant and North Africa, the Reconquista, the Crusades. And that's just a tiny handful of conflicts restricted to the Mediteranean.

Natural disasters? How about the destruction of Pompeii with the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius? The 749 Galillee earthquake killed tens of thousands and reduced three whole cities to ruins. The 1138 Aleppo earthquake killed as many as 250,000 people.

Diseases? The Plague of Justinian killed upwards of 100 million people. The Black Death alone wiped as much as 200 million people, over half of the entire population in Europe. The contact between Europeans and the Native Americans caused as much as 90% of the entire population of the Americas to be wiped out--by the time Europeans were making permanent settlements in North America, believing they came upon a pristine wilderness they only thought that because the inhabitants had died, in the tens of millions. The population of Mexico dropped from about 4 million to only 300,000 following contact with the Spanish.

The rise and fall of empires and kingdoms? Rome? Gone. The Persian Empire? Gone. The Islamic Calphates? Gone. The Ottomans? Gone. The Mongol Empire? Gone. The rise and fall of Chinese dynasties? Many. Kingdoms rise, kingdoms fall, nations war, nations crumble.

This is history. It's been happening forever. It is not the end of the world, it's just what the world looks like.

That already happened, in 70 AD. The Zealots in their bid for independence against the Romans took over the city of Jerusalem, entered into the Temple, slaughtered the priests, committed abominations in it, desecrating it. Then the Romans came and seized the city, slaughtering the Zealots, destroying the Temple in the process. The abomination that causes desolation happened two thousand years ago.

So, like I already knew--you have no basis for what you are saying. You are ignoring the context of Scripture, denying the history of what has already transpired, and are working from baseless assumption.

This isn't a personal attack mind you. I used to believe as you do, because it's the only thing I knew. And it all sounds like it might almost make sense as long as you don't think too hard about it and don't let things like the Bible and history get in the way.

I want to challenge you to really take an honest look at the Scriptures here.

Why do you believe the churches in Revelation refer to church ages? Why would you think this is the case? Does the text tell you this, if so, where?

Why do you believe that the contents of the Revelation refer to the "end times"? Does the text tell you this? If so, where?

Why do you believe that Jesus' warnings in the Olivet Discourse have to do with the end times? Does Jesus say these are signs of the end times? Or does He actually say just the opposite?

Why wouldn't you take Jesus' words about the destruction of Jerusalem as being about the destruction of Jerusalem, but instead something else? There's no temple in Jerusalem, it's gone--it was destroyed by the Romans two millennia ago, and it happened just as Jesus said it would. Go and read the histories of Josephus, an eye-witness to the destruction of Jerusalem, or read the histories of Eusebius and other ancient Church historians who very clearly record the events that took place just as Jesus had said. Because the ancient Church knew that Jesus was talking about the destruction of Jerusalem, for them that was a no-brainer.

I want you to try something:

When you read the Bible, read what it says. Notice the things the text does say, but even more importantly, I want you to pay attention to what the text doesn't say. Then I want you to go and look to see how Christians have historically understood and interpreted the text. What do the ancient fathers say? What do the theologians and exegetes, both East and West, how do they read and interpret the text? How have Christians, historically, from the time of the Apostles onward, how have they read and understood the texts? Pay attention to where they are in agreement, and also take notice when and where they have differences of opinion.

Because if what you think is in the Bible isn't actually in the Bible; and if no Christian at all in history ever believed these things, then don't you think that maybe that's indicative of a problem in how you are approaching the text?

Because at that point the argument you have to make is why you are right, but every Christian before 1820 was wrong.

And please, don't go to websites that only offer mined quotes without any sourcing, any citations, and without any context. Look at the actual primary source material yourself as much as is possible.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Edstano

Jul 27, 2020
Fort Mill
✟16,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced

Hi ViaCrucis, this is a reply to your 228 post:

YOU ASK, "And why do you think Philadelphia represents the modern church? Why not one of the other churches to whom the Apocalypse was written?"

MY REPLY, Because the text indicates so, that is, the whole world wasn't explored when John wrote the Apocalypse.

YOU, Except that Revelation 3:10 doesn't mention the entire planet earth, it mentions the oikoumene, the inhabited world, i.e. the civilized world of the Roman Empire.

ME, I'm not being sarcastic, I just want to make a point. When you insert "oikoumene" which I have no idea what that means, which leaves me with no alternative but to then rely upon you to interpret these Scriptures for me, which I hardly think that's the way God intended it to be. Therefore, I'm trusting that translators of my Bible, to know that "the civilized world of the Roman Empire" means "the whole world" which is what my Bible states. So, according to "oikoumene"does that mean, anything after the Roman Empire does not qualified to be considered anymore?

ME: This church specifically mentions the Great Tribulation which will test everyone alive.

YOU: Well, no, it mentions the horas tou peirasmou, the "hour of testing" or "hour of temptation". But even more than this, is the underlying assumption that "tribulation" must refer to some future period of time at or near the end of the age. Except Scripture doesn't actually say this.

ME: My Bible, Rev.3:10, "-----I will protect you from the time of Great Tribulation and temptation, which will come upon the world to test everyone alive." There's only one Great Tribulation that I know about which will come at the end of this age.

YOU: Let's pretend for a moment that that the churches do refer to church ages, even though there's no reason to believe this. But let's pretend for a moment that this idea could be true: Your entire assumption then is that we are living in the last hours of the Church, but there's no way you could possibly know this. So you are simply making that assumption.

ME: (Mat. 24:3), the Apostles asked Jesus, "when will this happen, and what will be the sign of "your coming" and of the END OF THE AGE?" Rev.3:10, after it speaks about thr Great Tribulation, then v11 states, "I am coming soon." Scripture interprets Scripture.

YOU: But, and this is really important, there is no reason to believe the seven churches refer to different periods of ecclesiastical history. There is nothing in the text that would even hint at this. As such this is an interpretation without any basis in the text, it is pure imagination.

ME: Your first sentence may be true because I never bothered to parallel the other churches with history, but in the Philadelphia church there's much more than just a hint, when it speaks about the Great Tribulation, followed by Jesus' coming.

ME: John was prophesying ahead about this church. (Philadelphia)

YOU: This is an assumption you are making, on what basis do you make this assumption?

ME: (Rev.1:19), "Write the things which thou hast seen, and the things which are, and the things which shall be hereafter. Not on assumption but on Scripture.

ME: while we now have the advantage of looking back over the last 2000 years, as a result, we now know what season we are in, that is, the very last days.

YOU: This is in clear and explicit odds with Scripture, which tells us that it is not for us to know the times and seasons which God has prepared; and that no one can know the time of Christ's return and of the end.

ME: You are partly right, no one knows the day or hour of Christ's return, However, we most certainly should know the season. (Mat.24:32) "Now learn this lesson from the fig tree: As soon as its twigs get tender and its leaves come out, you know that summer is near. v33 Even so, when you see all these things, you know that it is near, right at the door. Things = in Christ's discourse. Scripture interprets Scripture, not explicit odds with it.

ME: Mat. 24:3, the Apostles asked Jesus what will be the signs of His 2nd coming be and the END of the AGE? Jesus lists, deception by false teachers, wars, Nations against each other, famines, earthquakes, wickedness, loss of love, and the gospel of the kingdom will be preached to the whole world then, the END WILL COME. Then the born again believers are rapture out by God. (1Thes. 4:13) The Grace Age Ends

YOU: Re-read the passage. Jesus is explicitly clear that these things you list are NOT signs of the end. Jesus' warning here is that we not look at the world around us, seeing wars, rumors of wars, kingdoms rising against kingdoms, earthquakes, famines, and other natural disasters and think that we are at the end. Because we're not. Wars, rumors of wars, natural disasters, disease, false prophets, false messiahs--these are not signs of the end. These are merely the birth pangs of a world broken and laboring under sin. We have had these things since the beginning, and will continue to see them right until the end.

ME Jesus begins His dialog with birth pains but continues to the many years later, that is, "the gospel of the kingdom will be preached to the whole world then, the END WILL COME. which refers back to the question the Apostles asked Him earlier, 'what will be the sign of your coming and of the end of the age?"

YOU: Do you think that there are more wars? More conflicts? More diseases? More famines? More false prophets? There's not. Anyone who bothers to study history can tell you this. There is nothing special about our day than from any past day. False prophets? Simon Magus, Montanus, Mani, Muhammad, etc.----- The Roman-Persian wars, the Wars with the Goths, the Islamic invasions of the Levant and North Africa, the Reconquista, the Crusades. And that's just a tiny handful of conflicts restricted to the Mediteranean etc.-------Natural disasters? How about the destruction of Pompeii with the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius? The 749 Galillee earthquake killed tens of thousands and reduced three whole cities to ruins. The 1138 Aleppo earthquake killed as many as 250,000 people etc.-------Diseases? The Plague of Justinian killed upwards of 100 million people. The Black Death alone wiped as much as 200 million people, over half of the entire population in Europe etc. ------ The rise and fall of empires and kingdoms? Rome? Gone. The Persian Empire? Gone. The Islamic Calphates? Gone. The Ottomans? etc. -----.This is history. It's been happening forever. It is not the end of the world, it's just what the world looks like.

ME: I shortened each of your above groups to save space. Yes, all of those things took place, however, you failed to mentioned the most important factor that Jesus said, which identifies the END of the AGE, is: "And this gospel kingdom will be preached in the whole world----to all nations and the END WILL COME. It's got to stop at some point in history. I suppose Jesus, who knew all what you posted would take place but again, He failed to mention them to save space, in the Bible.

ME: (Mat. 24:15) continues, He deals with the Jews (the abomination standing in the holy place) and people who missed the rapture. Then comes the Great Tribulation, plagues, sun is darkened, moon gives no light, heavenly bodies shaken, and the 2nd coming.

YOU. That already happened, in 70 AD. The Zealots in their bid for independence against the Romans took over the city of Jerusalem, entered into the Temple, slaughtered the priests, committed abominations in it, desecrating it. Then the Romans came and seized the city, slaughtering the Zealots, destroying the Temple in the process. The abomination that causes desolation happened two thousand years ago.

ME, Yes, the temple was destroyed in 70 AD. "but the abomination that causes desolation---spoken by Daniel" which Jesus mentions as standing in the holy place, has not taken place yet. (Rev.13:14, 19:20) is the image of the beast that all were required to worship. In (Mat.24:16) Jesus said, when the Jews see this image, they are to flee to he mountains etc.. Today, in Israel, there are various Jewish groups preparing for the rebuilding of the 3rd Temple.

ME, Therefore, Rev.3:10, makes much sense and nails down the pre-tribe rapture. "Since you have kept my command to endure patiently, I will keep you from the hour of trail that is going to come upon the WHOLE WORLD to TEST those who live on the earth."

YOU. So, like I already knew--you have no basis for what you are saying. You are ignoring the context of Scripture, denying the history of what has already transpired, and are working from baseless assumption.

ME, If you'd go back to the beginning and re-read this thread, you'll have to admit what you accuse me of "baseless assumptions,"I humbly say this, I've proved by the SCRIPTURES all of your errors.

YOU, This isn't a personal attack mind you. I used to believe as you do, because it's the only thing I knew. And it all sounds like it might almost make sense as long as you don't think too hard about it and don't let things like the Bible and history get in the way.

ME, Yes, what I believe still makes perfect sense to me per the Scriptures, you failed to convince me otherwise.

YOU, I want to challenge you to really take an honest look at the Scriptures here. Why do you believe the churches in Revelation refer to church ages? Why would you think this is the case? Does the text tell you this, if so, where?

ME, the church of Philadelphia indicates so. As I told you earlier I saw no need to parallel the other six churches in revelation to church history because the church of Philadelphia has proved to me its church age, per the Great Tribulation, and the 2nd coming of Christ mentioned in it. However, I'm certain that many others have already paralleled the other six churches to history. I'll check it out.

YOU, Why do you believe that the contents of the Revelation refer to the "end times"? Does the text tell you this? If so, where?

ME, if you are asking me to show you a written statement similar to this written in the book "readers beware the contents of this book refer to the end times," you'll not find it. However, when you take other Scriptures and things into consideration, we read that Jesus will return a second time, and when He steps onto Mt.Olives it will split in half (Zech 14:4). That could not have taken place before May 14, 1948, (Isa. 66:8) since Israel did not exist. But now it does. Next the Jews won back Jerusalem from the gentiles in the 1967 war (Luke 21:24). Now Jesus is causing all the trouble in the Mid-East countries to fight against Israel (Zech.12:2-3) If you watch the daily news you'll see this taken place slowly. Peace treaty negotiations has been going on for decades. Eventually, one will be made, but later the Jews will realize that they were deceived when the anti-Christ breaks it (1Thes.5:3) and sudden destruction.

YOU, Why do you believe that Jesus' warnings in the Olivet Discourse have to do with the end times? Does Jesus say these are signs of the end times? Or does He actually say just the opposite?

ME, No, Jesus does not say the opposite, In (Mat.24:3) the Apostles asked Jesus the signs of the END of the AGE, and Jesus in His discourse tells them when the end will come in v14. He then describes the troubles in v21, why wouldn't any reasonable person connect the dots and then realize that we are living in those END TIMES

YOU, I want you to try something: When you read the Bible, read what it says. Notice the things the text does say, but even more importantly, I want you to pay attention to what the text doesn't say. Then I want you to go and look to see how Christians have historically understood and interpreted the text. What do the ancient fathers say? What do the theologians and exegetes, both East and West, how do they read and interpret the text? How have Christians, historically, from the time of the Apostles onward, how have they read and understood the texts? Pay attention to where they are in agreement, and also take notice when and where they have differences of opinion.

ME, In my opinion, if one does what you describe here, he'll be a very confused person, since nowhere in the Scriptures does it say that we are to rely upon others for Biblical information such as the the church Fathers when they disagreed among themselves. For 400 years, they could not agree on infant baptism. When a person believes in the salvation message and is born again and NEXT step, receives the baptism of the Holy Spirit, two separate things) he then can rely upon the Holy Spirit to teach him, the things that God wants him to know.

YOU, Because if what you think is in the Bible isn't actually in the Bible; and if no Christian at all in history ever believed these things, then don't you think that maybe that's indicative of a problem in how you are approaching the text? Because at that point the argument you have to make is why you are right, but every Christian before 1820 was wrong.

ME, you are apparently referring to Darby. But you don't know for certain that every Christian prior to Darby was wrong. It could very well be, that many believed in dispensationism but never wrote about it and it was Darby who investigated it and found it to be correct and then declared it to be true. To me, it makes much sense. Now lets reverse things, if Darby was wrong why is it that so many people still believe in his theology? Because of more population now, there are probably more people who subscribe to his theology now, than all the people combined who lived prior to 1830 who believed otherwise.

YOU, And please, don't go to websites that only offer mined quotes without any sourcing, any citations, and without any context. Look at the actual primary source material yourself as much as is possible.

ME, thirty five years ago, my church Pastor, told us, throw out your books, tapes, CD's, turn off the TV supposedly evangelists. Just pray and read your Bible, you'll not be confused and you'll also save some time and money. And do you know what? He was right! I did just that. Just out of curiosity, a short while ago, I turned on some TV evangelists, I could believe what I was seeing and hearing. THEY ARE AT WAR with one another, the cessationists vs, continueationist, Protestants vs, Catholics, tongues vs. no tongues and you name it. For me, at age 91 yrs. I'll continue to read my Bible and pray.

Blessings,

• Winner
Reactions: Timtofly
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Hi ViaCrucis, this is a reply to your 228 post:

YOU ASK, "And why do you think Philadelphia represents the modern church? Why not one of the other churches to whom the Apocalypse was written?"

MY REPLY, Because the text indicates so, that is, the whole world wasn't explored when John wrote the Apocalypse.

YOU, Except that Revelation 3:10 doesn't mention the entire planet earth, it mentions the oikoumene, the inhabited world, i.e. the civilized world of the Roman Empire.

ME, I'm not being sarcastic, I just want to make a point. When you insert "oikoumene" which I have no idea what that means, which leaves me with no alternative but to then rely upon you to interpret these Scriptures for me, which I hardly think that's the way God intended it to be. Therefore, I'm trusting that translators of my Bible, to know that "the civilized world of the Roman Empire" means "the whole world" which is what my Bible states. So, according to "oikoumene"does that mean, anything after the Roman Empire does not qualified to be considered anymore?

In Greek, oikoumene is based upon the Greek word oikos, meaning "household", it refers to inhabitation, dweling. The oikoumene is the inhabited, or civilized world. Which in Greco-Roman use referred to the civilized world of the Roman Empire at that time; as opposed to the uncivilized world of the barbarians (non-Greeks and non-Romans).

The word was adopted in Christianity and used to describe the universal councils of the Church, hence we have the seven ecumenical councils, the first of these such church councils was the Council of Nicea in 325 AD which was convened to address the Arian controversy. It wasn't the first church council, the first church council was the Apostolic Council of Jerusalem as mentioned in the Acts of the Apostles, ch. 15 to address the matter of the conversion and baptism of the Gentiles. And there were many local councils which met to address matters of the Church throughout history. But the ecumenical councils are those which involved bishops from all over the world--but, and this is relevant, "all over the world" meant the inhabited, civilized world. Noticeably, many bishops outside of the Roman Empire did not attend the Council of Nicea, and, in fact, it was primarily only bishops from the eastern half of the empire (not even the bishop of Rome came, due to his advanced age, and instead two presbyters were sent in his stead).

In the Gospel of Luke we read that Caesar Augustus decreed a census of the oikoumene. This, clearly, is not the entire planet, but only a census within the Roman Empire.

Likewise, feel free to look it up yourself:

Oikoumene Meaning in Bible - New Testament Greek Lexicon - New American Standard
Ecumene - Wikipedia
Oikoumene/Orbis Terrarum - Oxford Classical Dictionary
G3625 - oikoumenē - Strong's Greek Lexicon (KJV)

Here is the text of Revelation 3:10,

ὅτι ἐτήρησας τὸν λόγον τῆς ὑπομονῆς μου κἀγώ σε τηρήσω ἐκ τῆς ὥρας τοῦ πειρασμοῦ τῆς μελλούσης ἔρχεσθαι ἐπὶ τῆς οἰκουμένης ὅλης πειράσαι τοὺς κατοικοῦντας ἐπὶ τῆς γῆς

hoti eteresas ton logon tes hypomones mou kago se tereso ek tes horas tou peirasmou tes mellouses erchesthai epi tes oikoumenes oles peirasai tous katoikountas epi tes ges

"Because you have kept My word of patient endurance, I will also keep you from the hour of testing which shall come upon all the inhabited world, to test those who well upon the earth"

The Christians of Philadelphia have been faithful to Christ's word, having safeguarded it; and so Christ will in turn safeguard them during the time of trial/testing/temptation that shall come upon the inhabited world in order to test, try, or prove those who dwell on the earth. The hour of testing is a time of trial, like a refiner's fire.

This is in sharp distinction to what Jesus says to the Christians of Laodicea, who have grown arrogant in their comfort and wealth, and who Christ commends that they purchase from Him gold refined in fire that they might be truly rich. Whereas the Philadelphians have endured, Christ shall hold fast to them; while the Laodiceans are called to undergo that refining fire that they might be purified and tested. Which is why He tells them, "Behold, I stand at the door and knock". Christ has not given up on the Laodiceans, but calls them to the urgency of faithfulness, to not shut Him out but that He might dwell in their midst again.

ME: This church specifically mentions the Great Tribulation which will test everyone alive.

YOU: Well, no, it mentions the horas tou peirasmou, the "hour of testing" or "hour of temptation". But even more than this, is the underlying assumption that "tribulation" must refer to some future period of time at or near the end of the age. Except Scripture doesn't actually say this.

ME: My Bible, Rev.3:10, "-----I will protect you from the time of Great Tribulation and temptation, which will come upon the world to test everyone alive." There's only one Great Tribulation that I know about which will come at the end of this age.

I've quoted Revelation 3:10 in the original Greek above.

The phrase "great tribulation", in Greek θλῖψις μεγάλη (thlipsis megale), literally "great pressure" or "great distress", occurs only twice in the New Testament, once in Matthew 24:21, and another in Acts 7:11.

This tribulation (in Matthew 24:21) refers to when the Apostles and nascent Church would be delivered over to be killed, this is not about the end of the world, but the period between the Lord's Ascension and the destruction of the Temple in Jerusalem. See Matthew 24:9.

The idea that "The Great Tribulation" is a specific period that occurs just before the conclusion of history isn't found in the Bible.

YOU: Let's pretend for a moment that that the churches do refer to church ages, even though there's no reason to believe this. But let's pretend for a moment that this idea could be true: Your entire assumption then is that we are living in the last hours of the Church, but there's no way you could possibly know this. So you are simply making that assumption.

ME: (Mat. 24:3), the Apostles asked Jesus, "when will this happen, and what will be the sign of "your coming" and of the END OF THE AGE?" Rev.3:10, after it speaks about thr Great Tribulation, then v11 states, "I am coming soon." Scripture interprets Scripture.

You are ignoring the fact that the context is that Jesus said that the Temple would be destroyed, this is what prompts the disciples to ask "when will this happen", then they add, "and what will be the sign of Your coming, and of the end of the age?"

So Jesus is answering all three of these questions.

First He tells them not to let wars and rumors of wars, natural disasters, and false prophets and false messiahs make them think that these are signs of the end. They're not. Then He tells them about what signs to look out for concerning the destruction of the Temple.

When Jesus finally starts talking about His return and the end of the age, beginning in verse 36, He is actually pretty clear that there are no signs. He will return at a time we do not expect.

YOU: But, and this is really important, there is no reason to believe the seven churches refer to different periods of ecclesiastical history. There is nothing in the text that would even hint at this. As such this is an interpretation without any basis in the text, it is pure imagination.

ME: Your first sentence may be true because I never bothered to parallel the other churches with history, but in the Philadelphia church there's much more than just a hint, when it speaks about the Great Tribulation, followed by Jesus' coming.

ME: John was prophesying ahead about this church. (Philadelphia)

Oh sure, I agree that the text talks about things that were, from the time of John, still yet future. But it is a matter of pure assumption that it must therefore be the end of the world--which, of course, the text does not say.

YOU: This is an assumption you are making, on what basis do you make this assumption?

ME: (Rev.1:19), "Write the things which thou hast seen, and the things which are, and the things which shall be hereafter. Not on assumption but on Scripture.

Did you catch that? Things which "you have seen, and which are, and which shall soon come to pass". That is, the Revelation isn't about "the end of the world" but about what has been happening, what was happening then, and what would shortly happen thereafter.

ME: while we now have the advantage of looking back over the last 2000 years, as a result, we now know what season we are in, that is, the very last days.

YOU: This is in clear and explicit odds with Scripture, which tells us that it is not for us to know the times and seasons which God has prepared; and that no one can know the time of Christ's return and of the end.

ME: You are partly right, no one knows the day or hour of Christ's return, However, we most certainly should know the season. (Mat.24:32) "Now learn this lesson from the fig tree: As soon as its twigs get tender and its leaves come out, you know that summer is near. v33 Even so, when you see all these things, you know that it is near, right at the door. Things = in Christ's discourse. Scripture interprets Scripture, not explicit odds with it.

Which is about the destruction of the Temple. Look at the text again, did you not notice "that it is near, right at the door", or literally, "right at the gates". That is, the armies of the Romans outside the gates of the city of Jerusalem, the sign that Jerusalem's fate was set. So, Jesus says, when His followers see this happen, they should recognize the meaning of this, and flee to the mountains. Which is exactly what the Christians of Jerusalem did, they fled to Pella.

ME: Mat. 24:3, the Apostles asked Jesus what will be the signs of His 2nd coming be and the END of the AGE? Jesus lists, deception by false teachers, wars, Nations against each other, famines, earthquakes, wickedness, loss of love, and the gospel of the kingdom will be preached to the whole world then, the END WILL COME. Then the born again believers are rapture out by God. (1Thes. 4:13) The Grace Age Ends

YOU: Re-read the passage. Jesus is explicitly clear that these things you list are NOT signs of the end. Jesus' warning here is that we not look at the world around us, seeing wars, rumors of wars, kingdoms rising against kingdoms, earthquakes, famines, and other natural disasters and think that we are at the end. Because we're not. Wars, rumors of wars, natural disasters, disease, false prophets, false messiahs--these are not signs of the end. These are merely the birth pangs of a world broken and laboring under sin. We have had these things since the beginning, and will continue to see them right until the end.

ME Jesus begins His dialog with birth pains but continues to the many years later, that is, "the gospel of the kingdom will be preached to the whole world then, the END WILL COME. which refers back to the question the Apostles asked Him earlier, 'what will be the sign of your coming and of the end of the age?"

Sure, the Gospel must go forth and out throughout the nations before the end comes. Therefore, the Church should not be distraught over these things, but to be busy in her mission of preaching the Gospel.

YOU: Do you think that there are more wars? More conflicts? More diseases? More famines? More false prophets? There's not. Anyone who bothers to study history can tell you this. There is nothing special about our day than from any past day. False prophets? Simon Magus, Montanus, Mani, Muhammad, etc.----- The Roman-Persian wars, the Wars with the Goths, the Islamic invasions of the Levant and North Africa, the Reconquista, the Crusades. And that's just a tiny handful of conflicts restricted to the Mediteranean etc.-------Natural disasters? How about the destruction of Pompeii with the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius? The 749 Galillee earthquake killed tens of thousands and reduced three whole cities to ruins. The 1138 Aleppo earthquake killed as many as 250,000 people etc.-------Diseases? The Plague of Justinian killed upwards of 100 million people. The Black Death alone wiped as much as 200 million people, over half of the entire population in Europe etc. ------ The rise and fall of empires and kingdoms? Rome? Gone. The Persian Empire? Gone. The Islamic Calphates? Gone. The Ottomans? etc. -----.This is history. It's been happening forever. It is not the end of the world, it's just what the world looks like.

ME: I shortened each of your above groups to save space. Yes, all of those things took place, however, you failed to mentioned the most important factor that Jesus said, which identifies the END of the AGE, is: "And this gospel kingdom will be preached in the whole world----to all nations and the END WILL COME. It's got to stop at some point in history. I suppose Jesus, who knew all what you posted would take place but again, He failed to mention them to save space, in the Bible.

And the Gospel is still being preached today.

ME: (Mat. 24:15) continues, He deals with the Jews (the abomination standing in the holy place) and people who missed the rapture. Then comes the Great Tribulation, plagues, sun is darkened, moon gives no light, heavenly bodies shaken, and the 2nd coming.

YOU. That already happened, in 70 AD. The Zealots in their bid for independence against the Romans took over the city of Jerusalem, entered into the Temple, slaughtered the priests, committed abominations in it, desecrating it. Then the Romans came and seized the city, slaughtering the Zealots, destroying the Temple in the process. The abomination that causes desolation happened two thousand years ago.

ME, Yes, the temple was destroyed in 70 AD. "but the abomination that causes desolation---spoken by Daniel" which Jesus mentions as standing in the holy place, has not taken place yet. (Rev.13:14, 19:20) is the image of the beast that all were required to worship. In (Mat.24:16) Jesus said, when the Jews see this image, they are to flee to he mountains etc.. Today, in Israel, there are various Jewish groups preparing for the rebuilding of the 3rd Temple.

No, it already happened. The Temple is gone.

Did you know that when Julian the Apostate took the throne he actually began work to help the Jews rebuild the Temple in Jerusalem? But the project ended with Julian's sudden death.

Even if, at some point, another temple is built in Jerusalem it will have absolutely no meaning. The Second Temple was the last time a Temple stood in Jerusalem that is of any significance in Christianity--any subsequent buildings in Jerusalem will mean nothing.

There could be another, or even another after that, or maybe even another twelve. It just doesn't matter. The Temple was destroyed in 70 AD. With Christ's death and resurrection all the spiritual significance of the Temple was found in Jesus Christ and His Church, "Tear down this Temple and I will raise it up on the third day."

Christ and His Church are the Holy Temple.

ME, Therefore, Rev.3:10, makes much sense and nails down the pre-tribe rapture. "Since you have kept my command to endure patiently, I will keep you from the hour of trail that is going to come upon the WHOLE WORLD to TEST those who live on the earth."

YOU. So, like I already knew--you have no basis for what you are saying. You are ignoring the context of Scripture, denying the history of what has already transpired, and are working from baseless assumption.

ME, If you'd go back to the beginning and re-read this thread, you'll have to admit what you accuse me of "baseless assumptions,"I humbly say this, I've proved by the SCRIPTURES all of your errors.

YOU, This isn't a personal attack mind you. I used to believe as you do, because it's the only thing I knew. And it all sounds like it might almost make sense as long as you don't think too hard about it and don't let things like the Bible and history get in the way.

[...I had to snip this to save space...]

I continue to encourage you to actually study and read the Scriptures.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Davy

Site Supporter
Nov 25, 2017
USA
✟267,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have been trying to study this for the longest time and I just can't seem to come to peace with any position. I want to make sure the position is correct and not just go by what I would prefer (which would be pre-trib of course, though it would be cool to see the events of Revelation play out). I would love to hear arguments from both sides even though I heard most of them and still can't come to a conclusion that satisfies my conscience. With the post-trib side, it usually denies dispensationalism and that the church replaced Israel which I do not agree with. Yet with the pre-trib side, it seems as if I need to do a lot of mental gymnastics around the scriptures to prove it. I couldn't really find a resting place on either camp so I'm just hear to here arguments from both sides, mid-trib, pre-wrath, and amillennialism too.

Why would you include amillennialism? That's not about the idea of Christ's coming to gather His Church. It's simply an idea some have that Christ is presently reigning and that there will be no 1,000 years future reign like Revelation 20 shows.

And why do you confuse God's Israel with the seed and national Israel? Have you not studied about God having split the old kingdom of Israel into two separate kingdoms, and then scattering the ten tribes of the northern kingdom, causing them to be lost to the Jews and to the world? They were scattered among the Gentiles where The Gospel was preached, and they along with believing Gentiles became Christ's Church. So how can many of the ten tribes of Israel that became Christians become Israel all over again?

I have to suspect by your post that it is just an attempt to drive a wedge between Christian brethren.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Edstano

Jul 27, 2020
Fort Mill
✟16,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced

ME, therefore, I'm trusting that translators of my Bible, to know that "the civilized world of the Roman Empire" means by extension "the whole world" which is what my Bible states.

YOU, In Greek, oikoumene is based upon the Greek word oikos, meaning "household", it refers to inhabitation, dweling. The oikoumene is the inhabited, or civilized world. Which in Greco-Roman use referred to the civilized world of the Roman Empire at that time; as opposed to the uncivilized world of the barbarians (non-Greeks and non-Romans).-----In the Gospel of Luke we read that Caesar Augustus decreed a census of the oikoumene. This, clearly, is not the entire planet, but only a census within the Roman Empire.

ME, but (Rev.3:10) does not make any distinction between civilized and uncivilized inhabitants, it very clearly states, "I, also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon ALL the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth." To try them = civilized and uncivilized. Furthermore, since we are now centuries past the Roman Empire, then (Rev.3:10), would not apply to us. That does not make any sense, could it then be that's why the Bible translators by extension take "oikoumene" to mean the whole world?

The New American Bible, (Catholic) inhabitants of the earth = literally those who live on earth. LET'S GO ON NOW.

YOU, This tribulation (in Matthew 24:21) refers to when the Apostles and nascent Church would be delivered over to be killed, this is not about the end of the world, but the period between the Lord's Ascension and the destruction of the Temple in Jerusalem. See Matthew 24:9 ---- The idea that "The Great Tribulation" is a specific period that occurs just before the conclusion of history isn't found in the Bible.

ME, (Mat.24:21) states, "For then there will be great distress, unequaled from the beginning of the world until now ----and NEVER to be EQUALED AGAIN." In my humble opinion, your interpretation of this verse is way off the mark. What you are saying is that this has already occurred per v21 and it surpasses the coming of the Great Tribulation, during which the whole world be effected. If people won't bow to the anti-Christ's image and accept his mark, their heads will be cut off. 1/3 of the waters will be bitter and turned to blood, the Sun will scorch the earth for months, the sun will be dark, stars of the heaven will fall etc.. That has never taken place, yet, you say it did happen per v21?

YOU, You are ignoring the fact that the context is that Jesus said that the Temple would be destroyed, this is what prompts the disciples to ask "when will this happen", then they add, "and what will be the sign of Your coming, and of the end of the age?"

YOU, So Jesus is answering all three of these questions. First He tells them not to let wars and rumors of wars, natural disasters, and false prophets and false messiahs make them think that these are signs of the end. They're not

YOU, Then He tells them about what signs to look out for concerning the destruction of the Temple.

ME, where? There's nothing there about signs concerning the destruction of the Temple.

YOU, When Jesus finally starts talking about His return and the end of the age, beginning in verse 36, He is actually pretty clear that there are no signs. He will return at a time we do not expect.

ME, the reason you find no signs , is because you skiped over verse 14 and went to verse 36. You missed it! Verse 14 states, "This gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world, as a testimony to all nations, and then THE END WILL COME." That's the last sign we get before he calls us up in the rapture 1Thes.4:13. In verse 15, Jesus is now speaking to the Jews (were out of here) about the abomination standing in the holy place. When they see it those who are in Judea flee to the mountains etc, then Jesus speaks of the great distress coming during the Great Tribulation, he continues to his 2nd return to earth. LET'S GO ON, NEW SUBJECT

ME: John was prophesying ahead about this church. (Philadelphia) (Rev.1:19)

YOU, Oh sure, I agree that the text talks about things that were, from the time of John, still yet future. But it is a matter of pure assumption that it must therefore be the end of the world--which, of course, the text does not say.

ME, (Rev.1:19) speaks of everything John has seen, and are seeing, and what will be revealed to him in the future, which of course is the church of Philadelphia that speaks about the end time Great Tribulation and the 2nd coming of Christ. That's very clear to me, without any assumption.

ME, (Mat.24:32) "Now learn this lesson from the fig tree: As soon as its twigs get tender and its leaves come out, you know that summer is near. v33 Even so, when you see all these things, you know that it is near, right at the door. Things = in Christ's whole discourse. Therefore, we should recognize the season of His coming

YOU, Which is about the destruction of the Temple. Look at the text again, did you not notice "that it is near, right at the door", or literally, "right at the gates". That is, the armies of the Romans outside the gates of the city of Jerusalem, the sign that Jerusalem's fate was set. So, Jesus says, when His followers see this happen, they should recognize the meaning of this, and flee to the mountains. Which is exactly what the Christians of Jerusalem did, they fled to Pella.

ME, Let's see what is going on here. v30, OK, Jesus is now seen coming down in the clouds. Next v31 He sends His angels to gather His elect (Jews) from all over the world including heaven. v32 then Jesus gives an example of the fig tree, when the twigs are tender and leaves come out we know summer is near. v33 Therefore, when you see these things ( what things? everything from v 15 down) you know that it is ( what is? Christ's coming) is near, and right at the door. v34 Jesus tells the truth that this generation will not pass until all these things take place. v35 Heaven and earth will pass away but his word remains forever. This has absolutely nothing to do whatsoever about a Temple.

YOU, No, it already happened. The Temple is gone.

ME, I know that the Temple is gone, but the Jews are now getting ready to build another Temple, in it, the statue of the beast will will be placed (Rev.13:14) and everyone will be required to bow down to it.

YOU, Did you know that when Julian the Apostate took the throne he actually began work to help the Jews rebuild the Temple in Jerusalem? But the project ended with Julian's sudden death.

ME, I didn't know that, but that further confirms what I'm saying, that is, even Julian knew that there needs to be another Temple for the statue of the beast to be placed in it.

YOU, Even if, at some point, another temple is built in Jerusalem it will have absolutely no meaning. The Second Temple was the last time a Temple stood in Jerusalem that is of any significance in Christianity--any subsequent buildings in Jerusalem will mean nothing.

ME, I'm not saying anything at all but significance or meaning of a Temple, I'm saying there needs to be another Temple built so that the statue of the beast can be placed in it for the people to bow down to it.

Blessings,

Upvote 0

jgr

Site Supporter
Feb 25, 2008
✟784,067.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Today, in Israel, there are various Jewish groups preparing for the rebuilding of the 3rd Temple.

Those refusing to learn Scripture's lessons will be condemned to repeat them.

Sozomen (ca. A.D.375-447)
"Ecclesiastical History"
Book V, Chapter XXII

Though the emperor [Julian the Apostate] hated and opressed the Christians, he manifested benevolence and humanity towards the Jews. He wrote to the Jewish patriarchs and leaders, as well as to the people, requesting them to pray for him, and for the prosperity of the empire. In taking this step he was not actuated, I am convinced, by any respect for their religion; for he was aware that it is, so to speak, the mother of the Christian religion, and he knew that both religions rest upon the authority of the patriarchs and the prophets; but he thought to grieve the Christians by favoring the Jews, who are their most inveterate enemies. But perhaps he also calculated upon persuading the Jews to embrace paganism and sacrifices; for they were only acquainted with the mere letter of Scripture, and could not, like the Christians and a few of the wisest among the Hebrews, discern the hidden meaning.

Events proved that this was his real motive; for he sent for some of the chiefs of the race and exhorted them to return to the observance of the laws of Moses and the customs of their fathers. On their replying that because the temple in Jerusalem was overturned, it was neither lawful nor ancestral to do this in another place than the metropolis out of which they had been cast, he gave them public money, commanded them to rebuild the temple, and to practice the cult similar to that of their ancestors, by sacrificing after the ancient way. The Jews entered upon the undertaking, without reflecting that, according to the prediction of the holy prophets, it could not be accomplished. They sought for the most skillful artisans, collected materials, cleared the ground, and entered so earnestly upon the task, that even the women carried heaps of earth, and brought their necklaces and other female ornaments towards defraying the expense. The emperor, the other pagans, and all the Jews, regarded every other undertaking as secondary in importance to this. Although the pagans were not well-disposed towards the Jews, yet they assisted them in this enterprise, because they reckoned upon its ultimate success, and hoped by this means to falsify the prophecies of Christ. Besides this motive, the Jews themselves were impelled by the consideration that the time had arrived for rebuilding their temple. When they had removed the ruins of the former building, they dug up the ground and cleared away its foundation; it is said that on the following day when they were about to lay the first foundation, a great earthquake occurred, and by the violent agitation of the earth, stones were thrown up from the depths, by which those of the Jews who were engaged in the work were wounded, as likewise those who were merely looking on. The houses and public porticos, near the site of the temple, in which they had diverted themselves, were suddenly thrown down; many were caught thereby, some perished immediately, others were found half dead and mutilated of hands or legs, others were injured in other parts of the body. When God caused the earthquake to cease, the workmen who survived again returned to their task, partly because such was the edict of the emperor, and partly because they were themselves interested in the undertaking. Men often, in endeavoring to gratify their own passions, seek what is injurious to them, reject what would be truly advantageous, and are deluded-by the idea that nothing is really useful except what is agreeable to them. When once led astray by this error, they are no longer able to act in a manner conducive to their own interests, or to take warning by the calamities which are visited upon them.

The Jews, I believe, were just in this state; for, instead of regarding this unexpected earthquake as a manifest indication that God was opposed to the re-erection of their temple, they proceeded to recommence the work. But all parties relate, that they had scarcely returned to the undertaking, when fire burst suddenly from the foundations of the temple, and consumed several of the workmen.

This fact is fearlessly stated, and believed by all; the only discrepancy in the narrative is that some maintain that flame burst from the interior of the temple, as the workmen were striving to force an entrance, while others say that the fire proceeded directly from the earth. In whichever way the phenomenon might have occurred, it is equally wonderful. A more tangible and still more extraordinary prodigy ensued; suddenly the sign of the cross appeared spontaneously on the garments of the persons engaged in the undertaking. These crosses were disposed like stars, and appeared the work of art. Many were hence led to confess that Christ is God, and that the rebuilding of the temple was not pleasing to Him; others presented themselves in the church, were initiated, and besought Christ, with hymns and supplications, to pardon their transgression. If any one does not feel disposed to believe my narrative, let him go and be convinced by those who heard the facts I have related from the eyewitnesses of them, for they are still alive. Let him inquire, also, of the Jews and pagans who left the work in an incomplete state, or who, to speak more accurately, were able to commence it.

Upvote 0
Jul 4, 2020
Chicago
✟12,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Why would you include amillennialism? That's not about the idea of Christ's coming to gather His Church. It's simply an idea some have that Christ is presently reigning and that there will be no 1,000 years future reign like Revelation 20 shows.

And why do you confuse God's Israel with the seed and national Israel? Have you not studied about God having split the old kingdom of Israel into two separate kingdoms, and then scattering the ten tribes of the northern kingdom, causing them to be lost to the Jews and to the world? They were scattered among the Gentiles where The Gospel was preached, and they along with believing Gentiles became Christ's Church. So how can many of the ten tribes of Israel that became Christians become Israel all over again?

I have to suspect by your post that it is just an attempt to drive a wedge between Christian brethren.
giphy.gif

Upvote 0