Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How can I overcome uncontrollable fits of rage in which I'm literally kicking and screaming on the ground?

I know rage is one of the works of the flesh mentioned in Galatians 5 and that God hates it, but I can't seem to get myself under control when it happens. It literally hurts my stomach when I try to subdue my anger. It's like a cup that is over pouring.

Do any of you have any advice on how to manage your anger and not go into fits of rage?

I am sad to see you are struggling with this. I will be praying for guidance for you.

I would recommend you talk to a counselor. Fits of rage don't just manifest themselves out of thin air. Typically there is an emotional trigger, like being betrayed, abused, or so forth. It wouldn't hurt to seek some help on this before your situation escalates into something bigger.

Upvote 0

Eha

Jan 6, 2020
Tallinn
✟30,373.00
Country
Estonia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
but I can't seem to get myself under control when it happens.
was there. i had this and it took 7 years to get free from it.
Father all the time just repeated - truth will set you free. answers are IN you, you just need to find correct question.
it made me sad and furious, because , what ever i looked for, how i try, i couldnt get that anger under MY control - it controlled me.
i was in fear, that i am demon possessed, but when i was filled with Holy Spirit and next day in that rage again... i understood, its something else.
its slavery of sin
in my case - fear.
so you just need to ask yourself - why you are angry, what makes you angry, why it makes you angry and so on - until you get to the "root" of all yours questions/answers.
you will know it, that is right question - it will be life changing question, in my case, that question and answer - honest answer - could destroy everything i believed and care of or ... free me from its control for good.
i answered honestly and was free from that control with BLINK OF EYE - means, less then a second, in real.
around 18 years no problems anymore.
of course Father finally helped me out, but, if you don't hear Him...

Upvote 0

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
How can I overcome uncontrollable fits of rage in which I'm literally kicking and screaming on the ground?

I know rage is one of the works of the flesh mentioned in Galatians 5 and that God hates it, but I can't seem to get myself under control when it happens. It literally hurts my stomach when I try to subdue my anger. It's like a cup that is over pouring.

Do any of you have any advice on how to manage your anger and not go into fits of rage?
The next time something bothers you, pray.
Even if it's something small. Be vigilant, watch your heart and work on being aware of the smallest provocations. Anger starts in the heart so that's where you need be watching yourself.
Also, recognize that these provocations come from God. He is testing you to show how weak and pathetic you are, and how much you need Him to do anything good.
Jesus said, without Me you can do nothing.
Also, pray for wisdom. Proverbs tells us the angry mam lacks wisdom. Put yourself in the shoes of your antagonizer and pray for them. The Lord be with you, brother. I will be praying for you!

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟736,252.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I don't know your situation, so I can't comment fully on it. But I used to have outbursts of rage. For me, it was due to the level of hurt that I had experienced in my emotions, and life. The bible tells us

John 15:4 Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me.

For me, it was a matter of continually abiding in Christ, and allowing Him to bring healing into the hurts I had experienced. Jesus also tells us that:

Mark 14:38 Watch and pray, lest you enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak."

As we pray we will get stronger. Prayer in these situations is a bit like pushing against a heavy rock, our resistance helps to slow down the hurt caused by it rolling onto us. Rather than it hitting us with great speed, our resistance helps slow the blow. But often the rock will still roll over us. By this, I mean while hurt remains in your life anger may still rear its head. But over time with God's help healing will occur.

As I said I don't know your situation so I can't comment on it. But the solution is to remain faithful to God. To keep pressing in. You said God hates anger, but it really depends on the heart behind it, the "why".

I also created a video talking about overcoming negative thoughts, it is mainly focused on how to overcome the hearing of voices, but it fits equally to overcoming negative thoughts that may cause anger.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,970.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Ok practical advice it is:

Is your rage chemically or hormonally induced via the things that you eat or drink?

step 1. Remove all intoxicants, stimulants, hormones, drugs from your diet.
That means no nicotine, caffeine, no meat stoked with hormones including adrenaline

Step 2. Remove all stimulants from your mind's focus. No violence in games, shows, music, sports, etc
What your mind dwells on - it will react upon. It is trained by what you focus it on.

Step 3 - Keep your eyes fixed on Christ "for real" not just a handy "saying". Load up your time on things like this -- a world class commentary (easy to read - commentary on the life of Christ -- For example The Desire of Ages

Step 4 -- exercise for health - to almost exhaustion at least 3 or 4 times a week.

Upvote 0

Grafted In

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2012
Upper midwest
✟61,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When there is narcissist abuse, even though we all know that the battle is spiritual, still it is a serious situation that the target, in many cases a senior spouse, is systematically being feed a constant diet of lies, deceptions and, in fact, an entire false reality.
The abuser will enlist the aid of all family members who can not see what is really going on as well as the victim's friends.....in many cases an entire community and use these recruits shamelessly to spread the belief that their target is the problem.
As they age, they become more aggressive in their there efforts to denegrate and devalue their victim because they know time is short.
It is likely that physical abuse will begin.
I've found that once that line is crossed, it will continue and it will increase as the narcisist finds new ways to use the violence in the affective way.

Having said all this, and agreeing with those who have rightfully pointed out that the battle is spiritual, I believe it is imperative that the victim talk to someone who can help them understand what is happening to them...that they are being systematically driven out of their minds, doubting their perception of reality as their abuser continues to isolated them from everyone in their world.
Perhaps the saddest of all, driving wedges between between the victim and their kids and grandkids.
It seems that narcissists lack the ability to be honest.
They will from time to time, say something to their victim in private, something they know will devastate them, unable to get their mind around the reality just how deeply the person they thought for perhaps decades was not the person they thought they knew.

I have not found this to comply with "Name it and claim it". .

These victims are in a situation where they must be very careful about who they can talk to safely.

Most have few or no friends because the narcissist has vilified them to everyone, and again, I want to point out that the narcissist knows who they can use and who they can't.
I would like to see the church reach out to these people.
Yes, we are all sinners.
But sometimes a person finds themselves in situation that, terrifying as it may seen to them, they may need to remove themselves from that relationship and go no contact in order to survive.
I am looking for feedback, firstly and mainly for OP.
But I could use some support.
I have endured decades of abuse.
I have absolutely no one to talk to about my situation accept my therapist.
I wanting to broaden my support base.
I hope God can use something I've shared to help another human being realize what has been done to them.

I struggle to get my mind around the fact that my wife has created an altered reality. If gives me the gut wrenching feeling I felt when I watched The Truman Show with Jim Carry.

Upvote 0