✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
UMC’s Western Jurisdiction announces ‘safe harbor’ for LGBTQ clergy

RNS) — The bishops of the Western Jurisdiction of the United Methodist Church have declared their churches a “safe harbor” for LGBTQ clergy.

The Safe Harbor Declaration was announced Wednesday (Nov. 6) as United Methodists’ Council of Bishops wrapped up its autumn meeting in Lake Junaluska, North Carolina.

And it comes months before new restrictions strengthening the denomination’s ban on the ordination and marriage of its LGBTQ members, which are set to take effect on Jan. 1.

More at link:

UMC's Western Jurisdiction announces 'safe harbor' for LGBTQ clergy - Religion News Service

Related: Dissent from Traditional Plan dominates United Methodists’ top court meeting

It seems these are moves prior to the 2020 UMC General Conference which I believe are in May.

As previously posted one of the more liberal UMC groups proposed a 4 way break of the UMC

LGBT group proposes dissolving UMC into 4 new denominations.

Also another liberal compromise plan previously posted:

United Methodist progressives gather to discuss LGBTQ-friendly plan

Another previous thread where UMC court kept the core of the Traditional Plan.

United Methodist Court Keeps Core of New LGBT Legislation

Link to 2019 UMC Traditional Plan:

2019 General Conference passes Traditional Plan | United Methodist News Service

Finally the thread I posted after the 2019 UMC General Conference:

United Methodists Tighten Ban on Same-Sex Marriage and Gay Clergy

Some may be interested in why I am interested in all this UMC goings on. Simply to point out this is what happens when churches abandon Biblical and historic Christian morals and principles to soften their message to incorporate secular society.

• Informative
Reactions: JCFantasy23