• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Um.... *tw: incest*

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm eighteen now and my uncle's been in prison for a while (where I'm told he's largely unpopular because apparently they dislike pedophiles there). I'm still in therapy, but I thin my anxiety and PTSD are getting pretty close to a point where they're manageable so long as I have the right medication and therapy; and I'll graduate high school next month.
Congrats on your progress. I have witnessed first hand the devastation that such abuse can cause. My wife endured it as well from age 8 to 12. But I was the first person she ever told; and that was after we were married. (40 years ago) So she never got any help.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Bluerose31

Christian Flower
Supporter
Mar 27, 2017
US
✟419,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
When I was younger (like between the ages of 10-13) one of my uncles used to touch me a lot and forced me to do a lot of sexual stuff with him, including a lot of times when he raped me orally, vaginally and anally.

I haven't seen him for a long time now though, and I'm still seeing a counselor about a lot of it.
I am so sorry you went through this. I pray God will continue to heal you and protect you.

Upvote 0

MyGodIsStrongerThanI

Jan 6, 2015
✟17,852.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
That is an absolute lie.
But it is a common tactic of pedophiles to keep their victims compliant. Many kids will believe anything a grown-up tells them. (or even a teen ager)

You're right on the money there. A lot of people--too many, in truth--will keep things a secret because an adult told them to.

I think a big part of it is that in a large chunk of the cases involving sexual abuse (I believe it may even be a majority due to the stranger danger stuff kids get taught now), it's done by a family member. When there's such a massive betrayal of trust committed by a family member, a lot of kids' first reaction will be to keep it a secret because, after all, if someone they're supposed to trust will do that to them, they're going to be less inclined to trust anyone else.

Upvote 0