FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
The Kingdom of His dear Son
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
We are presently now nearly 1/3 along in the words of universal reconciliation. There will be a minimum of 60 more verses for us to behold.

Christ: The Savior of All Mankind: When all is said and done, Jesus Christ completes His mission of saving every man, woman and child that has ever, or will ever, walk the face of the Earth

Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
33. “Behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.” (Luke 2:10)

The tidings of the Redeemer’s birth, were certainly good tidings to all people. They should all hear these tidings, and to all they should be good tidings. But how can this be, if a part of the human race are never to be benefited by the Redeemer’s sacrifice.

34. “We have heard Him ourselves, and we know that this is indeed the Christ, the Saviour of the world.” (John 4:42)

Jesus cannot be the Saviour of the world, if the world will never be saved. What Jesus taught the Samaritans, that induced them to regard Him as the Saviour of the world, may be inferred, 1st. from His conversation with the woman at the well of Jacob, (John 4) and 2nd, from the exclamation of the Samaritans, in the 42nd verse. He evidently did not preach to them the dogma of endless misery & be the Saviour of the world.

Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
35. “We have seen, and do testify, that the Father sent the Son to be the Saviour of the world.” (1 John 4:14)

John, the beloved disciple of Christ, said, “We have seen..." This is the same character that the Samaritans judged the Lord to possess, from his personal instruction. (John 4:42) John says, “We have seen;” i.e. he knew it from his acquaintance with his Master. And do testify. We cannot hide this truth; we will proclaim to men, that Jesus is the Saviour of the world.

• Agree
Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
36. “And He shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you, whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God has spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets, since the world began.” (Acts 3:20,21)

All the holy prophets have spoken of the restitution of all things. “And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you, but who has been crucified, and has ascended unto heaven, and whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God has spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began.” This “restitution of all things” is to take place, when Jesus comes down from the heavens, in the sense in which he had ascended into heaven. He had ascended into the heaven bodily; the heavens would contain Him until the times of the restitution; and then He would bodily visit the earth again. Now when shall he visit the earth again bodily? At the resurrection of the dead. (See Acts 1:10,11, and 1 Thess. 4:16) We conclude from this, that the restitution of all things is to take place at the resurrection of the dead.

We do not understand, that the restitution shall not begin until the time, but that it shall then be completed, and filled up, so that it may be said, all things are restored. This is begun in part in this life; but it will be completed and finished at the resurrection. What is this restitution? It is the putting of things back into their original condition.[/b] Man was originally created in God’s image; but the divine image has been obscured by sin; and men now bear the image of the earthly. But at the resurrection, when Christ shall appear, the restitution of all things shall take place, and then mankind will be restored to the image of God again. St. Paul says, that at the resurrection mankind shall be changed from the earthly to the heavenly image. (1 Cor. 15:49) This heavenly image which we have lost, we obtain back again at the resurrection of the dead; and to this the Saviour’s language agrees, for He says, in the resurrection men shall be as the angels of God in heaven; i.e. they shall bear the heavenly image; (Matt. 22:30) that they can die no more, and “shall be the children of God, being the children of the resurrection.” (Luke 22:36) This God has spoken by all his holy prophets since the world began; not fully and clearly as He has revealed it in the gospel; but He has spoken by the prophets of the recovery of all things from the dominion of sin, and their reconciliation to God, and the gaining again of the heavenly image.

Jesus Christ comes to raise up man from a state of ruin, and restore to him the image of God, as he possessed it at the beginning.

Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
36. “And He shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you, whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God has spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets, since the world began.” (Acts 3:20,21)

All the holy prophets have spoken of the restitution of all things. “And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you, but who has been crucified, and has ascended unto heaven, and whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God has spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began.” This “restitution of all things” is to take place, when Jesus comes down from the heavens, in the sense in which he had ascended into heaven. He had ascended into the heaven bodily; the heavens would contain Him until the times of the restitution; and then He would bodily visit the earth again. Now when shall he visit the earth again bodily? At the resurrection of the dead. (See Acts 1:10,11, and 1 Thess. 4:16) We conclude from this, that the restitution of all things is to take place at the resurrection of the dead.

We do not understand, that the restitution shall not begin until the time, but that it shall then be completed, and filled up, so that it may be said, all things are restored. This is begun in part in this life; but it will be completed and finished at the resurrection. What is this restitution? It is the putting of things back into their original condition. Man was originally created in God’s image; but the divine image has been obscured by sin; and men now bear the image of the earthly. But at the resurrection, when Christ shall appear, the restitution of all things shall take place, and then mankind will be restored to the image of God again. St. Paul says, that at the resurrection mankind shall be changed from the earthly to the heavenly image. (1 Cor. 15:49) This heavenly image which we have lost, we obtain back again at the resurrection of the dead; and to this the Saviour’s language agrees, for He says, in the resurrection men shall be as the angels of God in heaven; i.e. they shall bear the heavenly image; (Matt. 22:30) that they can die no more, and “shall be the children of God, being the children of the resurrection.” (Luke 22:36) This God has spoken by all his holy prophets since the world began; not fully and clearly as He has revealed it in the gospel; but He has spoken by the prophets of the recovery of all things from the dominion of sin, and their reconciliation to God, and the gaining again of the heavenly image.

Jesus Christ comes to raise up man from a state of ruin, and restore to him the image of God, as he possessed it at the beginning.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
35. “We have seen, and do testify, that the Father sent the Son to be the Saviour of the world.” (1 John 4:14)

John, the beloved disciple of Christ, said, “We have seen..." This is the same character that the Samaritans judged the Lord to possess, from his personal instruction. (John 4:42) John says, “We have seen;” i.e. he knew it from his acquaintance with his Master. And do testify. We cannot hide this truth; we will proclaim to men, that Jesus is the Saviour of the world.
The context on John 4:42 is mighty interesting. John wrote it, of course, but he was quoting the Samaritans after the woman at the well encounter. Check it out below.

John 4:39-42 NIV
Many of the Samaritans from that town believed in him because of the woman’s testimony, “He told me everything I ever did.” 40 So when the Samaritans came to him, they urged him to stay with them, and he stayed two days. 41 And because of his words many more became believers.
42 They said to the woman, “We no longer believe just because of what you said; now we have heard for ourselves, and we know that this man really is the Savior of the world.”

Reactions: FineLinen
Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
37.“I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your seed and her seed; it shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heel.” (Gen. 3:15)

There was a head that the seed of the woman was to bruise. Christ is the seed of the woman, and he came to defeat the works of the enemy. Calvary was where the defeat occurred. “It is Finished”…

38. "All the ends of the world shall remember, and turn unto the Lord; and all the kindreds of the nations shall worship before him.” (Psalms 22:27)

This agrees precisely with the promise of God to Abraham, that all the nations, families, and kindreds of the earth shall be blessed in Christ Jesus.

39. "All the ends of the world shall remember, and turn unto the Lord; and all the kindreds of the nations shall worship before him.” (Psalms 22:27)

“All kings shall fall down before Him (Christ), all nations shall serve Him, – men shall be blessed in Him, all nations shall call Him blessed.” (Psalms 72:11,17)

40.“All nations whom You have made shall come and worship before You, O Lord, and shall glorify your name.” (Psalms 86:9)

This must certainly include all the nations of the earth; God made them all, from Adam to the latest born.

Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
42. “The Lord is good to all, and His tender mercies are over all his works.” (Psalms 145:9)

He also declared, the mercy which is to endure forever, is over all the works of God. God is the same, yesterday, today, and forever.

43. “The Lord is good to all, and His tender mercies are over all his works.” (Psalms 145:9)

He also said, “all Your works shall praise You, O Lord, and your saints shall bless You.” (Psalms 145:10) Can all God’s works praise Him, if a part are consigned to everlasting despair?

44. “The Lord is gracious, and full of compassion, slow to anger, and of great mercy.” (Psalms 145:8)"

The Lord is gracious, and full of compassion. Can endless misery be ordained by the Father of all fathers?

45. The Lord is merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and plenteous in mercy. He will not always chide; neither will He keep His anger forever.” (Psalms 103:8,9)

This could not possibly be true, if God purposed to make any of His creatures forever miserable. If we allow that torment shall be endless, can we say, that “God will not always chide,” nor “keep His anger forever?”

l

Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
46. Though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.” (Isa. 1:18)

Isaiah said, that there was no sin which might not be pardoned. The evident intent of this language is that there was no sin so deep-dyed in the soul, that it could not be washed away. That is here said of Israel, is true of every individual.

47. “All nations shall flow into the mountain of the Lord’s house,” Isa.2:2

A figurative representation of the covenant of the Gospel.

48. "In this mountain, the Lord of Hosts has made for all people a feast of fat things, a feast of wines on the lees; of fat things full of marrow, of wines on the lees well-refined.” (Isa. 25:6)

By “mountain,” here, is meant the covenant of the Gospel; the place of the establishment of the ark is made a metaphor, to signify the Gospel. this feast is salvation by Jesus Christ. This salvation is prepared for all people; it is sufficient to supply the wants of all.

Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
proxy.php

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
50. “God will swallow up death in victory. ” (Isa. 25:8)

This is to take place at the resurrection of the dead, for Paul quotes these words, and applies them to the resurrection of the dead, in 1 Cor. 15:54.

51. “The Lord God will wipe away tears from off all faces: (Isa. 25:8)

The work of the Gospel will not be fully done, until tears shall be wiped away from all faces. Sorrow shall cease. Paul applies the subject to the resurrection of the dead.

52. “The glory of the Lord shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together.” (Isa. 40:5)

This is the declaration of Yahweh, for the prophet adds, “the mouth of the lord has spoken it.” If the Lord has declared that all flesh shall see his glory together, surely it must be done.

• Informative
Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
52. "The glory of the Lord shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together.” (Isa. 40:5)

This is the declaration of Yahweh, for the prophet adds, “the mouth of the lord has spoken it.” If the Lord has declared all flesh shall see his glory together, surely it must be done.

53. "As the rain and snow come down from heaven, and return not thither, but water the earth, and cause it to bring forth and bud, so shall the word of God be; it shall not return void, but it shall accomplish the divine pleasure, and prosper in the thing for which God sent it. (Isa. 45:10,11)

Isaiah presents the Gospel as being completely successful in accomplishing the purpose for which it was sent into the world. All who see that God sent the Gospel to benefit all mankind, must here see the beneficent object will surely be accomplished. If any reject the Gospel, and are lost forever, can it be said in truth, that God’s word does not return unto Him void?

54. I will also give you for a light to the Gentiles, that you may be my salvation unto the end of the earth.” (Isa.49:6)

Isaiah, speaking in the name of Yah, affirms that the blessings of the Gospel should not be confined to the Jews. “I will also give you for a light to the Gentiles." For what purpose? “That you may be salvation unto the end of the earth.” This is to signify the greatest possible extension of the blessings of the Gospel. Is this consistent with the supposed fact, that countless millions of the human race shall never hear of the blessings of the Gospel?

Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
55. I will not contend forever, neither will I be always angry; for the spirit should fail before me, and the souls which I have made.” (Isa. 57:16)

Is this declaration consistent with the doctrine of endless misery? According to that dogma, will not God contend forever? Will He not be always angry?

56. I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their heats; and will be their God, and they shall be my people. And they shall teach no more every man his neighbor, and every man his brother, saying , know the Lord; for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, says the Lord; for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.” (Jer. 31:33,34)

The spirit of the passage is universal grace. What God says He will do for the Jews, He will also do for the Gentiles. The former is a pledge of the latter.

57. “The Lord will not cast off forever, though He cause grief, yet will He have compassion according to the multitude of His mercies, for He does not afflict willingly, nor grieve the children of men.” (Lamen. 3:31-33)

Though God cause grief, yet He will have compassion according to the multitude of His mercies, for He does not afflict willingly, nor grieve the children of men. This is the principle of the divine government. God does not afflict for the purpose of afflicting, but for the good of the sufferer. How, then, can endless torment be inflicted?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
58.“There was given Him dominion, and glory and a kingdom, that all people, nations, and languages, should serve Him; His dominion is an everlasting dominion, and His kingdom, that which shall not be destroyed.” (Dan. 7:14)

If all people, nations, and languages serve the Saviour, will they be endlessly miserable? Will they not be endlessly happy? Undoubtedly, the all for whom the Saviour died is referred to in the declaration of the prophets.

59. Hosea said, “I will ransom them from the power of the grave; I will redeem them from death. O death, I will be your plagues; O grave ( sheol), I will be your destruction.” (Hosea 13:14)

St. Paul applies these words to the resurrection of the dead, at the last day. (1 Cor. 15:54,55) At the resurrection of the dead, then, God will destroy sheol/ hell. He does not raise His creatures from the dead in order to punish them forever in sheol, hell shall then be destroyed!

60. "He retains not His anger forever, because He delights in mercy.” (Micah 7:18)

A most precious assurance, altogether at variance with the doctrine of endless misery.

Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
61. "The people wondered at the gracious words which proceeded out of his mouth.” (Luke 4:22)

This could not have happened, had he threatened the people with endless misery. He preached salvation to sinful, guilty man; he preached the love of God to the whole world; and declared, that God sent not His Son into the world to condemn the world, but, that the world, through Him, might be saved. Well might the people wonder at his “gracious words.”

62.Anxious thought for the future. (Matt. 6:25-34)

Jesus presented the strongest confidence in God; and reasoned in the most tender and judicious manner with the people, to dissuade them from taking anxious thought for the future. The object of the Saviour was, to encourage, in the hearts of those whom he addressed, the most implicit confidence in God, for all future blessings. God is good; he is kind, even to the unthankful and to the evil; therefore, said the Saviour, “take no anxious thought.” Be not afraid; God will do you good. He has already proved his beneficence to you. He takes care of the lower orders of beings; why should you doubt? He clothes the flowers of the field with beauty; why should you despair? Take not anxious, painful thought for the future. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof. Such is the spirit of the passage, which is perfectly consistent with universal restoration but utterly inconsistent with the doctrine of endless misery.

Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
63. Matt 16:6; compares verse 12.

Jesus warned the people against the doctrine of the Pharisees, who are well known to have believed in endless punishment. There is no doubt, that the doctrines of the Pharisees were of a partial nature. Jesus was impartial in his teachings. He was the friend of publicans and sinners, and for this the Pharisees hated him. This was the great point on which he differed from the Pharisees. Their doctrine peculiarly was a doctrine of cruelty, wrath, and partiality; his was a doctrine of love, compassion, and universal grace. No person, who will make the comparison fairly, can avoid coming to this result. Beware of the leaven of the Pharisees. 64. “In the resurrection, they neither marry, nor are given in marriage; but are as the angels of God in heaven.” (Matt. 22:30 Luke 20:35,36) In what sense shall they be as the angels of God in heaven? In Luke 20 = the answer. “Neither can they die any more, for they are equal unto the angels, and are the children of God, being the children of the resurrection.” 1st. they will be immortal; and 2nd. they will be children of God, bearing a moral likeness to him. This will be the state of all who shall be raised from the dead.

Reactions: Rajni
Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
64. “In the resurrection, they neither marry, nor are given in marriage; but are as the angels of God in heaven.” (Matt. 22:30 Luke 20:35,36)

In what sense shall they be as the angels of God in heaven? in Luke 20 = the answer. “Neither can they die any more, for they are equal unto the angels, and are the children of God, being the children of the resurrection.” 1st. they will be immortal; and 2nd. they will be children of God, bearing a moral likeness to him. This will be the state of all who shall be raised from the dead.

Upvote 0