Ugh! Got to help my nephew track a deer...

StevenMerten

I Love You, God!
Dec 27, 2005
Lynnwood, WA
Visit site
✟69,502.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
...not one of my favorite things. He just started hunting & got a buck. I bet I'm going to have to drag the canoe out. Wish us luck. :wave:

Hi Michie,

My cousin told me that, at least last year, the limit in Wisconsin was one deer a day. Hopefully you do not live in Wisconsin! Helping your nephew track, gut and, dragging deer long distances, could become a daily chore. LOL

:D Good luck!

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,679,796.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi Michie,

My cousin told me that, at least last year, the limit in Wisconsin was one deer a day. Hopefully you do not live in Wisconsin! Helping your nephew track, gut and, dragging deer long distances, could become a daily chore. LOL

First let me say I hate bow season. He got this deer last night before right before it got dark & could not find it. So today we found a blood trail. I got the canoe out & we found it but he is still alive. He ran off. I doubt he'll be found. I'm about ready to put a halt to the bow hunting on my property.

Upvote 0

StevenMerten

I Love You, God!
Dec 27, 2005
Lynnwood, WA
Visit site
✟69,502.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
First let me say I hate bow season. He got this deer last night before right before it got dark & could not find it. So today we found a blood trail. I got the canoe out & we found it but he is still alive. He ran off. I doubt he'll be found. I'm about ready to put a halt to the bow hunting on my property.

Hi Michie,

We have property in Eastern Washington. I had a co worker, a bow hunter, ask if he could hunt my property. He said he was a bow hunter because that was more of a challenge. He said, bow hunting was real hunting. I said, well then you would not like my property anyway. We have fruit trees and the deer gather like pets. Every morning you wake up and see them grazing on my lawn. Oh! No, that would be OK! He said. I said no, you are not going to hunt on my property. I am not against hunting in the mountains, but my deer will have safe refuge.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,679,796.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi Michie,

We have property in Eastern Washington. I had a co worker, a bow hunter, ask if he could hunt my property. He said he was a bow hunter because that was more of a challenge. He said, bow hunting was real hunting. I said, well then you would not like my property anyway. We have fruit trees and the deer gather like pets. Every morning you wake up and see them grazing on my lawn. Oh! No, that would be OK! He said. I said no, you are not going to hunt on my property. I am not against hunting in the mountains, but my deer will have safe refuge.
Amen brother. If I had my way about it that would be it. But trying to run that past hubby does not always fall on willing ears.

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hi Michie,

We are not limited to one deer per day here in WI.

Upvote 0

mg0086

Prospective Doctor of the Church
Dec 8, 2007
Stella Maris Chapel
Visit site
✟10,902.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Mmmmm deer. *Homer Simpson impression*

Can't wait for deer jerky, bbq deer sausage.....MMMMMM!! Maybe even a little deer in tamales XD

Like fishing, the funnest part of it all is harvesting the food for the feast! Haven't been lucky yet, but I'm still trying my best!!

Upvote 0

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
Pacific Northwest, United States
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Not a fan of bow hunting (yet some seasons around here that's all that is allowed.) When it's not a clean shot, the animal suffers (goes off in pain to die a slow death.) Not good.

But just because one forbids hunting on his property, doesn't guarantee the deer will be safe. I kick myself for regularly giving apples to feed the deer on one daughter's property. It made them tame--like pets. Then the other night a pack of wild dogs (or was it coyotes) had a feast on venison. :cry:

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,679,796.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't feed deer. My property has enough natural food. I want them to be frightened of me. They have grown accustomed to my presence & they seem to like to visit & hang out with my foster cats. But if anyone else pops up they run off into the woods that surrounds our house.

Upvote 0

mg0086

Prospective Doctor of the Church
Dec 8, 2007
Stella Maris Chapel
Visit site
✟10,902.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Not a fan of bow hunting (yet some seasons around here that's all that is allowed.) When it's not a clean shot, the animal suffers (goes off in pain to die a slow death.) Not good.

But just because one forbids hunting on his property, doesn't guarantee the deer will be safe. I kick myself for regularly giving apples to feed the deer on one daughter's property. It made them tame--like pets. Then the other night a pack of wild dogs (or was it coyotes) had a feast on venison. :cry:
It kinda hurts me when people say the animal suffers when people hunt. Makes me feel guilty everytime. But I am reassured that this is how people get their food besides living off the fat of the land.

The same could be said about the fish wiggling at the end of the line with a hook in its lip, the bullet or arrow in an animal's heart, even the animals of the wild that tear their flesh apart to eat, are all just methods of obtaining food. I mean, that's what God told us to do really.

The animal doesn't suffer in vain, it doesn't die in vain. They do it to feed others, we just happen to be the top of the food chain so it just seems so cruel, but it's not.

I know you weren't bashing hunters, its just what you said reminded me of that. And I can't tell you how many times I get PETA on my tail for simply eating meat. I actually found something that said it was against our belief to be vegan (unless it's a health issue)...I can't solidly stand with that though because I'm not too sure with it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
Pacific Northwest, United States
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It kinda hurts me when people say the animal suffers when people hunt. Makes me feel guilty everytime. But I am reassured that this is how people get their food besides living off the fat of the land.

The same could be said about the fish wiggling at the end of the line with a hook in its lip, the bullet or arrow in an animal's heart, even the animals of the wild that tear their flesh apart to eat, are all just methods of obtaining food. I mean, that's what God told us to do really.

The animal doesn't suffer in vain, it doesn't die in vain. They do it to feed others, we just happen to be the top of the food chain so it just seems so cruel, but it's not.

I know you weren't bashing hunters, its just what you said reminded me of that. And I can't tell you how many times I get PETA on my tail for simply eating meat. I actually found something that said it was against our belief to be vegan (unless it's a health issue)...I can't solidly stand with that though because I'm not too sure with it.

Nope, not bashing hunters. Family was poor enough that hunting WAS how we ate. (Well, that and a vegetable garden.)

Just don't think it's right to make an animal suffer. Harvesting (and culling the herd) IMO should be done humanely and quickly (and that means hunting with a rifle and not with a bow which somehow doesn't always mean that the animal doesn't suffer.)

Agree with you about the short sighted PETA, but you know both of us are really members of another PETA group. We belong to People Eating Tasty Animals. ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

StevenMerten

I Love You, God!
Dec 27, 2005
Lynnwood, WA
Visit site
✟69,502.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I remember watching National Geographic. The lions had caught a Zebra, and, while the Zebra was still alive, the lions were ripping the flesh off its bones. I said to myself, this is God's plan, but wow!

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟442,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I remember watching National Geographic. The lions had caught a Zebra, and, while the Zebra was still alive, the lions were ripping the flesh off its bones. I said to myself, this is God's plan, but wow!

Actually - its not His plan - but what he allowed the 'fall' to bring into the animal kingdom....

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Is there any limit at all in Wisconsin?

Yes. It changes from year to year, but by me it is a buck and a doe with the bow and similar with the gun. Additional doe tags can be had for a very small fee, in some zones there is no limit on the number you can buy, iirc.

Next year, depending on DNR herd number estimates, the picture could be very different.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums