Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
If you stop to think about it, assaults such as rape and and molestation have NO witnesses usually.

There have been stories in the news of children systematically molested in orthodox shuls and nothing is done. (In other rare cases, financial compensation is made, but the abuse continues.)

I had a friend who was constantly being sexually grabbed, harassed, and stalked, and because there were not two witnesses, the Rabbi would do nothing. I consider this unacceptable. I realize that the norm is not to go to the police -- such a person is considered a moser. But honestly, in the case of a criminal act when the alternative is to simply continue being a victim???? I told her to go to the police but she would not because she didn't want to be shunned by the shul.

Does anyone have any news as to whether this is changing or not? I am hopeful that with the new consciousness of society, that perhaps even Orthodoxy might become enlightened. Really I think it is just a matter of caring enough, and realizing the gravity of the situation rather than writing it of as "boys will be boys." I think new law will come into being, don't you?

Endeavourer

Aug 30, 2017
Cloud 9
✟89,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Grievous injustices occur when victims are barred from justice and perpetrators are protected from consequences.

Further, the perpetrators become bolder and victimize more people.

This practice of keeping crimes secret within the church or enabling perpetrators cannot be substantiated in the Bible.

To juxtapose your signature:
It is unthinkable that she [the Church] would claim to replace the police. She is not another police force.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

ChavaK

להיות טוב ולעשות טוב
May 12, 2005
US
✟158,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
There have been stories in the news of children systematically molested in orthodox shuls and nothing is done.
I am hopeful that with the new consciousness of society, that perhaps even Orthodoxy might become enlightened.

Please do not lump all "Orthdoxy" together as one.
I can assure you that this type of activity would not be tolerated in my community.

• Agree
Reactions: Aryeh Jay
Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Please do not lump all "Orthdoxy" together as one.
I can assure you that this type of activity would not be tolerated in my community.
Oh WOW. That's GREAT! Nice to know.

So, if there's no witnesses, how do they deal with it? Do they send them to the cops or deal with it in house?

Upvote 0

ChavaK

להיות טוב ולעשות טוב
May 12, 2005
US
✟158,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Oh WOW. That's GREAT! Nice to know.

So, if there's no witnesses, how do they deal with it? Do they send them to the cops or deal with it in house?
I know of one instance, and the police were brought in

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
I know of one instance, and the police were brought in
That really cheers me up.

I have to say, the only instances that I knew about personally (an orthodox shul, a baptist church, and an assembly of God) it was actually the victim and their family that got marginalized.

Upvote 0