England
✟22,720.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
A new couple at "home group" (with two smallish children) exclaimed how supportive the church is. But one of the elders and his wife and several children are obviously being neglected. I have (gingerly) probed what thedoctrines are and I don't think they have generally much idea of providence, contingency, Holy Spirit gifts, the eschaton, human needs, or meanings of Scriptures. The last time a couple that asked questions about ordinary topics, they have subsequently left. And I was told (in "home group") that Jn ch 4 isn't about worshipping in Spirit and in truth. Overall, they are very puzzling, I pray lots of general prayers with them in mind, does this count as supplicating?

timf

Jun 12, 2011
✟79,640.00
Faith
Non-Denom
The spectrum of Christian understanding is quite wide. This is especially true when you consider how may of us believe things that are not completely correct.

"I am embarrassed by what I thought five years ago and I hope to be embarrassed in five years by what I think today".

We should be kind to those who know less and seek to help them. We should also be seeking those who know more so that we can learn from them. Complicating this are denominations that often take a view of learning that is simply agreeing with what someone else has already determined.

Upvote 0

OldAbramBrown

Jul 4, 2023
England
✟22,720.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
... We should be kind to those who know less and seek to help them. i We should also be seeking those who know more so that we can learn from them. ii Complicating this are denominations that often take a view of learning that is simply agreeing with what someone else has already determined. iii
I agree wholeheartedly with your three statements.

i - they aren't up front about how much less they know (when the few of them that bother - such as wouldbe elders or wouldbe ministry trainees - pretend to tell me things it just sounds gobbledy gook) and above all I'm running out of help
ii - there aren't any there
iii - They are nowhere near that low minimum

I intuit that I'm not the only one panicking that there is no basis in Christian belief to prevent people getting neglected. Have they a secret vendetta against that elder's family?

Upvote 0