Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I've just read Christian Reconstruction by McVicar and am currently reading Survival and Resistance in Evangelical America by Crawford Gribben.
Christian Reconstruction
is an elaborately researched piece of scholarship with unparalleled access to Rushdoony’s library, journal and correspondence. It explores the movement from its early roots and the extensive influence (often hidden by those anxious about being labeled theocrats) on the views of Christians in America, as well as his monumental importance in securing the rights of home schooling. The author doesn't question whether Rushdoony was Biblical and right, and he often focuses too much on Rushdoony's own personal opinions rather than how many of these beliefs were already in circulation by were systematized by Rushdoony in a way that caught the attention of many Evangelical, Fundamentalist Christians.
I give it 4/5, it's quite fair considering the lunatic fear mongering associated with the subject and although it's be more interested in such a study by a Reformed Christian who could give more meat in the theological analysis it was very interesting. I read it in a day, which is not an easy feat with three sons.

Survival and Resistance in Evangelical America is a study of the influence of ideas like Christian Reconstruction in leading many people to move to small towns and property in the Pacific Northwest and the various theological and political ideas that led them there. It's a very interesting complement to the other volume, as it demonstrates that the frustrations of the earlier Reconstruction movement have led it is mutation and adaptation into new forms. Reconstruction did not die wry Tyler Church and Y2K, but has innovated and evolved in ways Rushdoony and North could not have predicted.

I was home schooled by my parents and lived in every single state mentioned in Survival and Resistance in Evangelical America, attended conservative Reformed churches my entire life, my father had books by North and Rushdoony, and I really did not know that all of these people. According to Gribben, North and Doug Wilson were surprised at many people and projects they'd never heard of showing their influence. As I've gotten married and begun raising children over become increasingly interested in these ideas and, by this point, probably could have been one of his subjects.

I am not done with this book so I won't rate it, but I would strongly recommend reading both if you are interested in homeschooling, Reconstruction or Evangelical responses to liberalism and culture conflict in general.

Heacock interviewing McVicar on Rushdoony and Christian Reconstruction.

Here is a very interesting Reformed Forum interview with Crawford Gribben. I'm surprised at how sympathetic the author and Reformed Forum are on top these projects.

Reactions: JM

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I've just read Christian Reconstruction by McVicar and am currently reading Survival and Resistance in Evangelical America by Crawford Gribben.
Christian Reconstruction
is an elaborately researched piece of scholarship with unparalleled access to Rushdoony’s library, journal and correspondence. It explores the movement from its early roots and the extensive influence (often hidden by those anxious about being labeled theocrats) on the views of Christians in America, as well as his monumental importance in securing the rights of home schooling. The author doesn't question whether Rushdoony was Biblical and right, and he often focuses too much on Rushdoony's own personal opinions rather than how many of these beliefs were already in circulation by were systematized by Rushdoony in a way that caught the attention of many Evangelical, Fundamentalist Christians.
I give it 4/5, it's quite fair considering the lunatic fear mongering associated with the subject and although it's be more interested in such a study by a Reformed Christian who could give more meat in the theological analysis it was very interesting. I read it in a day, which is not an easy feat with three sons.

Survival and Resistance in Evangelical America is a study of the influence of ideas like Christian Reconstruction in leading many people to move to small towns and property in the Pacific Northwest and the various theological and political ideas that led them there. It's a very interesting complement to the other volume, as it demonstrates that the frustrations of the earlier Reconstruction movement have led it is mutation and adaptation into new forms. Reconstruction did not die wry Tyler Church and Y2K, but has innovated and evolved in ways Rushdoony and North could not have predicted.

I was home schooled by my parents and lived in every single state mentioned in Survival and Resistance in Evangelical America, attended conservative Reformed churches my entire life, my father had books by North and Rushdoony, and I really did not know that all of these people. According to Gribben, North and Doug Wilson were surprised at many people and projects they'd never heard of showing their influence. As I've gotten married and begun raising children over become increasingly interested in these ideas and, by this point, probably could have been one of his subjects.

I am not done with this book so I won't rate it, but I would strongly recommend reading both if you are interested in homeschooling, Reconstruction or Evangelical responses to liberalism and culture conflict in general.

Heacock interviewing McVicar on Rushdoony and Christian Reconstruction.

Here is a very interesting Reformed Forum interview with Crawford Gribben. I'm surprised at how sympathetic the author and Reformed Forum are on top these projects.

I have not seen it yet, but you may be interested in seeing this Christian movie (by what you said here):

Reactions: Jeltja
Upvote 0

Jeltja

Particularly Baptist
Feb 14, 2022
Arizona
✟9,328.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I have not seen it yet, but you may be interested in seeing this Christian movie (by what you said here):
Thank you for sharing this. I had not heard of it. Quoting from the movie description:
The Rev. Dave Hill defends a group of Christian home-schooling families after they receive an impromptu inspection from a progressive, local government official who doesn't like what she finds.​
This is a serious concern we have. I see the totalitarian humanists demonizing homeschool and Christian "conservatives" (I don't consider myself a conservative or Republican, just a Christian, but according to the world's standards this makes me some kind of far right libertarian or something). The recent increase in homeschooling due to the Covid fiasco is very encouraging but the enemies of the Christian family recognize the danger this poses and are trying to reverse the victories for educational and religious liberty that Rushdoony fought so hard for. I am not saying that you have to agree with everything he wrote, but I do believe that the Bible teaches parental responsibility and a separation of spheres of authority. I believe Rushdoony was risen up by God to do His work in constructing the kingdom.

My husband had already decided that if any of these bureaucrats try to deprive us of this right that we will not comply and we will, if necessary, move to another country to ensure we can continue educating our children in a Biblical way. Before we even had children my husband and I decided that the options were home schooling and tutoring, I simply do not trust the public and private schools to have their priorities straight. I was home schooled but my husband was not, and he is of the opinion that working in a coal mine is better for boys than government schools.

Reactions: DragonFox91
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for sharing this. I had not heard of it. Quoting from the movie description:
The Rev. Dave Hill defends a group of Christian home-schooling families after they receive an impromptu inspection from a progressive, local government official who doesn't like what she finds.​
This is a serious concern we have. I see the totalitarian humanists demonizing homeschool and Christian "conservatives" (I don't consider myself a conservative or Republican, just a Christian, but according to the world's standards this makes me some kind of far right libertarian or something). The recent increase in homeschooling due to the Covid fiasco is very encouraging but the enemies of the Christian family recognize the danger this poses and are trying to reverse the victories for educational and religious liberty that Rushdoony fought so hard for. I am not saying that you have to agree with everything he wrote, but I do believe that the Bible teaches parental responsibility and a separation of spheres of authority. I believe Rushdoony was risen up by God to do His work in constructing the kingdom.

My husband had already decided that if any of these bureaucrats try to deprive us of this right that we will not comply and we will, if necessary, move to another country to ensure we can continue educating our children in a Biblical way. Before we even had children my husband and I decided that the options were home schooling and tutoring, I simply do not trust the public and private schools to have their priorities straight. I was home schooled but my husband was not, and he is of the opinion that working in a coal mine is better for boys than government schools.

Your welcome. I just watched the movie. It’s pretty good (although not perfect).

Upvote 0