MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Twenty eight years ago today, Friday August 10th 1990, I graduated Navy boot camp in Great Lakes, Illinois. At this time, 6:40 Central time zone, I was scarfing down Shushi at a hibachi restaurant and getting ready for Six Flags Great America tomorrow as well as wondering if I would be sent to Kuwait.

What a ride it has been.

Reactions: Darkhorse

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Twenty eight years ago today, Friday August 10th 1990, I graduated Navy boot camp in Great Lakes, Illinois. At this time, 6:40 Central time zone, I was scarfing down Shushi at a hibachi restaurant and getting ready for Six Flags Great America tomorrow as well as wondering if I would be sent to Kuwait.

What a ride it has been.
Thank you for your service.

Did you end up going to Kuwait?

Reactions: Aryeh Jay
Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for your service.

Did you end up going to Kuwait?

Yes, but at the end of the war in February 1991. There was a lot of fear because they were recently at war and combat vets, they had used chemical weapons against Iran, they had about a million man army and such. I ended up spending most of my time handing out MRE’s to all those that surrendered.

Upvote 0

Pilgrim

Praying without ceasing
Mar 26, 2017
between the pages of the Bible.
Visit site
✟200,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

What a ride it has been.
Aryeh Jay, Thank you for your service. Hooyah. Many blessings in Christ.

Upvote 0

Unofficial Reverand Alex

Pray in silence...God speaks softly
Site Supporter
Dec 22, 2017
The Mystical Lands of Rural Indiana
Visit site
✟526,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Is it awkward for you when someone says "Thank you for your service"?

My uncle (just force-retired after 40 years; 17 in Army, 23 in Air Force) has people say that all the time, and he never knows what to say.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, but at the end of the war in February 1991. There was a lot of fear because they were recently at war and combat vets, they had used chemical weapons against Iran, they had about a million man army and such. I ended up spending most of my time handing out MRE’s to all those that surrendered.

Heh. CBW training had always been one of the most boring things we had ever done. Everyone hated it. Everyone especially hated exercising it. Being in full MOPP in a South Korean summer was utterly miserable--I was pretty sure the war would end within 12 hours after it began because everyone would succumb to heat exhaustion.

But then came DESERT STORM....

"Sergeant!"
"Yeah?"
"Can we get CBW training again?"
"We just had it two months ago."
"Yeah...but some people might not have been paying attention back then."

Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I remember hearing that it was going to be a tough war because of those things you mentioned. I was amazed at how quickly it ended.

It was very interesting to watch that war on CNN in those days. It was even more interesting because I was in a college dorm at that time, and one of my roommates was a student from Jordan. He was obviously worried about possible escalation of the war, and always had intelligent and interesting commentary to add to the day’s news.

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Is it awkward for you when someone says "Thank you for your service"?

My uncle (just force-retired after 40 years; 17 in Army, 23 in Air Force) has people say that all the time, and he never knows what to say.

yes, very.

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Heh. CBW training had always been one of the most boring things we had ever done. Everyone hated it. Everyone especially hated exercising it. Being in full MOPP in a South Korean summer was utterly miserable--I was pretty sure the war would end within 12 hours after it began because everyone would succumb to heat exhaustion.

But then came DESERT STORM....

"Sergeant!"
"Yeah?"
"Can we get CBW training again?"
"We just had it two months ago."
"Yeah...but some people might not have been paying attention back then."

I still have my plastic decon kit with wipes.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aryeh Jay

Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
My apologies then.

No worries.
It is awkward in my opinion because the people that should really be thanked are the ones not coming home.

I remember being a kid and wanting to be like my dad and uncle, heroes (in my little mind) and playing war all the time. After twenty three and a half years of active duty and plenty of wars to have played in and seeing the worst that humanity can throw at each other, I see why they thought I was crazy. It sure wasn’t like the black and white war movies that were on TV on Sunday afternoons in the 70s and 80s.

Reactions: “Paisios”
Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

What a ride it has been.

Upvote 0