Jul 13, 2006
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
But sexual orientation does not only effect some legalistic stance on marriage but has wide sweeping moral ramifications whereas race does not.

Considering just the bolded part, it would wholly depend on when you would ask what moral ramifications interracial marriage would have. 60 years ago, you might have a different answer than you have now. And I tend to think that 60 years from now, no one will consider any moral ramifications of same-sex marriages.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟556,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
25 to 30 years ago we didn't see stuff like we see now. The pushing
of homosexuality in almost every TV sitcom. I won't watch them
just for this reason.
Even Modern Family? (Big Ed O'Neil fan over here)

There is an agenda, don't kid yourself. The big shots up top
want to dumb down and degrade society, and are doing a
heck of a job.
By showing homosexuals exist in society? I'm sorry I just don't know how that is degrading society.

I don't hate and won't judge anyone personally. What people
do in their own homes is their business.
Does that include the shows they choose to watch?

I just don't like the
fact they are putting gays on TV where kids will see them.
Gasp! What kind of monster would do that to children?! They're just so innocent and it is sooo hard to explain to them about gays that I would rather them not know of their existence!! (In case it went over your head, that was sarcasm)
And that's what they probably want. To confuse them, as
we know the adolescent years are some of the toughest
years of our lives.
Tell me about it. Life is hard enough not having to think about boys kissing boys or girls kissing girls. Now THAT is going to confuse people....

Upvote 0

CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
By showing homosexuals exist in society? I'm sorry I just don't know how that is degrading society.
I tried hard to stay away from this topic but you left that quote open so wide I have to respond and likely my response will sicken non-christians so apologies in advance.

Its degrading because the next step is to allow people to marry animals and mate with them. Then that will be on tv too. Then maybe next marrying corpses...etc. Its a never ending thing now of "I want to marry this....".

Upvote 0

KitKatMatt

stupid bleeding heart feminist liberal
May 2, 2013
✟29,520.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I tried hard to stay away from this topic but you left that quote open so wide I have to respond and likely my response will sicken non-christians so apologies in advance.

Its degrading because the next step is to allow people to marry animals and mate with them. Then that will be on tv too. Then maybe next marrying corpses...etc. Its a never ending thing now of "I want to marry this....".

People can already legally boink animals in 13 states, and I would follow that up with "so soon we will be able to marry them", except that it's been legal for a long time and no one has ever tried to make that step :p

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
But sexual orientation does not only effect some legalistic stance on marriage but has wide sweeping moral ramifications whereas race does not.
Tell that to the people who were against interracial marriage for moral reasons. In fact, some still are. Go talk to them. You'll be surprised how familiar their arguments sound.

Upvote 0

selfinflikted

Under Deck
Jul 13, 2006
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat

This doesn't "sicken" me, as you suggested, but rather frustrates me. We hear this all the time. Please explain how showing gays exist on tv will lead to people marrying animals. Obviously, you don't see how ridiculous this sounds, or you probably would stop saying it.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟556,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

This will probably sicken you, just based off your post above but what if I said; So what?

Who cares if someone wants to marry an animal. It really doesn't bother me all that much.
Firstly because marrying an animal would be physically impossible as animals don't have the ability nor the mental capacity to sign a marriage license and second, if it's someone's intention to mate with an animal, no law is really going to stop them from doing it. And if it's on tv, guess what.... You can change the channel if you don't like what's on.

I can't stand Dancing with the Stars, and you know what? I've never been forced to sit through a single episode. I see it's on tv, I change the channel. Go figure...

Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
It doesn´t sicken the non-christian in me, it sickens the rationally and logically thinking person in me. Slippery slope arguments of the kind you are presenting here are as poor as it gets.

The argument "we shouldn´t show Christian services on TV because the next step is to show suicide sects in action" would sicken me just as much as your argument - because it would be just as stupid.

Btw., it started all with heterosexual marriage. So, by the same token, we could disallow heterosexual marriage because the next step would be all the stuff your power of imagination can come up with, in the first place.

Fortunately, people who haven´t left their brains at the door are able to consider each of these issues in its own rights, and there may be different arguments for or against each of them. That´s how we determine whether something should be allowed or disallowed. Not by means of creating slippery slope arguments.

We are talking about human beings marrying human beings. We are not talking about human beings marrying animals or "this". Once - as is your doubtful prediction - marriage between humans and animals or "this" might be postulated, we will look at the pro´s and con´s of these ideas.

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single

Yeah, that is pretty sickening, since you're saying that allowing gay people to choose to marry each other justifies letting people marry animals that can't consent to legal contracts. So now LGBT people are sub-human? Giving them the right to marry who they want is the same as giving a monkey that right? Nice.

Upvote 0

Marius27

Feb 16, 2013
✟6,009.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Democrat

The ridiculous slippery slope argument strikes again. :doh: Animals and corpses cannot legally consent. If you're not going to present a logically or rationally coherent argument, don't post. By the very way the slippery slope works, since heterosexual marriage led to same-sex marriage, by your fallacious reasoning, heterosexual marriage is degrading and should be banned to prevent all other forms of marriage.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Joykins

free Crazy Liz!
Jul 14, 2005
Down in Mary's Land
✟29,390.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

This has already happened in 1998.

Upvote 0
Oct 25, 2013
Province of Ontario, Canada.
✟8,323.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Even Modern Family? (Big Ed O'Neil fan over here)

I loved Married with Children, and thought Ed was great as Al
Bundy. The show he's in now, although Sofia Vergara is sexy,
I won't bother to watch it.

Read the Bible? Or, are you an unbeliever like a lot on here.

Does that include the shows they choose to watch?

Gasp! What kind of monster would do that to children?! They're just so innocent and it is sooo hard to explain to them about gays that I would rather them not know of their existence!! (In case it went over your head, that was sarcasm)
Tell me about it. Life is hard enough not having to think about boys kissing boys or girls kissing girls. Now THAT is going to confuse people....

I know it will be impossible now for children not to know of what homosexual people are, or do. It's on the sitcoms their Mom likes.
Lord knows it's probably being pushed in their cartoons as well.
Oh, I know what you said was sarcasm. Because of them pushing
homosexuality on TV, we will likely see more adolescents, become
confused and turn to sexual immorality in the future. There is
such a thing.

Upvote 0
Oct 25, 2013
✟8,323.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

Unbelievers take that chance. Everyone is going to die someday,
including you. What if you pass and come before God to be
judged? And maybe didn't end like you thought, that you
would just cease to exist out of the physical body or
whatever you may believe in.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Oct 25, 2013
✟8,323.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
TV networks, just like news outlets, give the masses what they want. For everyone 1 person that doesn't wanna see something, there are 9 others who do.

I don't agree Muslimsoldier4life. What they have done, IMO, is
sneak immorality into TV slowly over the decades, and make
people believe what the people up top want them to believe
and accept.

Upvote 0
Oct 25, 2013
✟8,323.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I'm comparing the choice to marry someone of another race, and the choice to sleep with someone of the same sex. Neither harms anyone else.

What shows are these? I don't remember watching many shows with gay people in. 'Friends' shows Ross' ex wife as a lesbian... it shows her as a nice person. Are you saying that TV shows should lie and show gay people as bad people, or non-existent? If the TV portrays relationships as they are, then people can come to their own conclusions.

Anyway, I used to be against homosexuality (eg: while I watched Friends). The reason I changed my mind wasn't because of any TV show, or because I knew someone gay (I didn't), but because I realised that the condemnation had no moral basis.

I don't know if it's because I'm younger you assume I come to beliefs based on the TV, but some people base their beliefs on reason.

Everyone has to be taught somewhere, what is right and what's wrong.
As an older guy, I've seen what was on TV in the 70's and 80's, totally
take a 360. A lot of what you see in the movies and TV shows is
against God (not sure if you're a believer or not).

You can blame it on the TV if you want, and perhaps that is true for some people, but that wasn't the reason for my change in belief.

There's reason to blame TV for a lot of things. How parent's themselves
bring their kids up is their responsibility. Any good parent will worry about
how a lot of shows will corrupt their kid's mind. Violence, pre-marital
sex, vulgarity etc. If they're not very bright or immoral themselves,
they likely won't care or let their children watch the program because
Mommy likes it.

Take another example, sex before marriage. I saw lots of TV shows when I was younger which made sex before marriage look like a good thing. I nevertheless disagreed throughout most of my teenage years. I only changed my mind on the morality of the issue once I thought about it and had reasons to change my mind. It wasn't about the TV.

So did I during my teenage years. Of course I hadn't read the
Bible or attend church back then. Temptation can be very strong
to the young, and even a good number of older people. No one
likes rules, which is probably why most people don't want to
become religious. However, with our sinful human nature, and
Satan and his minions/demons behind the scenes (whether you
believe or you don't) they send us thoughts that excuse sinful
behavior.

Upvote 0

Joykins

free Crazy Liz!
Jul 14, 2005
Down in Mary's Land
✟29,390.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I know it will be impossible now for children not to know of what homosexual people are, or do. It's on the sitcoms their Mom likes.

Why would my kids be watching a show I like? They have their own shows and are fundamentally uninterested in mine.

ETA: I don't even get to watch half the shows I like. There's something called "football" on there all the time ???

Upvote 0