Can You Fast on the Sabbath? What Does the Bible Say?

pitseleh

up on the roof staring at the stars.
Jul 21, 2011
in the south!
✟7,868.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I am not Jewish. But, I have decided to make my first journey into fasting from sundown tonight to sunrise on Sunday. I'm actually not cutting liquids (except soda, juice, milk) and just drinking water and tea. I'm thinking since this is the first time I have done this. That I should at least drink chicken stock tonight before bed and tomorrow before bed. I'm wondering if God would find that okay. Trying to search my heart about it.

What do you all think?

wayfaring man

Veteran
Jan 25, 2004
✟20,565.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Traditional Sabbath is roughly a 24 hour period , starting Friday at sundown and ending Saturday at sundown, based on -

...And the evening and the morning were the first day. <---> Genesis 1:5

And -

And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.
And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.
<-----> Genesis 2:2+3

Anyone with a near normal physical estate should easily be able to go 1-1.5 days drinking ample water without food. (The so called hunger pangs experienced after a few hours without eating is mainly due to one's stomach shrinking, drinking a large glass of water helps offset this mild discomfort- but avoid gulping.)

You can substitute other liquids...but this makes it less like a full on fast. Though it's been found useful to take a small amount of Vitamin C once a day, because C cannot be stored well, and a lack thereof leads to gum disease before very long...but avoid the chewable kind which has sweeteners, and having it dissolved in water seems best - Vitamin C crystals or a good sized squirt of fresh lemon or lime works well.

Suggest avoiding anything sweet, for gums become sensitive and increasingly absorbent...even avoid toothpaste if sweetened...but still floss + brush...a little baking soda does well, (use only a very small amount and brush moderately: excessive use/vigor can be too abrasive.) Brush/massage teeth and gums, and top of tongue last, spitting out the waste. Also good to rinse toothbrush with hydrogen peroxide, leaving a little on brush, then shake off before next use.

Hope it goes/went well.

wm

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RabbiYosef

Aug 4, 2011
Jerusalem, Israel
✟15,114.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Private
Hi, I live in Israel & study Jewish law, please allow me to give some input in this area.

First, remember, if you are not Jewish, then you are NOT required to keep the Sabbath. However, if you want to keep it, then:
1.) The Sabbath begins slightly on Friday at sundown & ends on Saturday at sundown. Jesus never changed the day & I don't know who did later on, but in Israel, it's neer changed.
2.) Fasting is actually forbidden on the Sabbath. The Bible & Jewish Tradition actually says that you are supposed to do the opposite & eat delicacies.

Just for the record, here in Israel, there are over 70 days of "Feasting", and only a couple of fasts per year....since there is at least 1 Biblical holiday per week & almost every one of them the Bible requires you to eat & be happy.

Personally, I would think that it would be great if you broke bread, drank wine & eat delicacies like Jesus did on the Sabbath. You're not required to do it, but it would help you to connect to the actions that he did, even if you only do it once.

Shalom

Upvote 0

AllisonWells

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
✟15,136.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What Rabbi Yosef shared is true--
1. The Sabbath is from Friday at sundown to Saturday at sundown, and this has never changed. In fact, the Sabbath is the only day YHWH gave a name to! It is indeed important.

2. It is also true that people do not fast on the Sabbath, with the exception of Yom Kippur (Day of Atonement).

Fasting is such a great thing to do when you approach it with a proper heart condition! I truly hope your relationship with Him deepens!

Even so, if your faith leads you to observe the Sabbath (a truly wonderful gift from Him!), I also think it would be great if you broke bread, drank wine (or grape juice!), and had a special meal with your family. There are so many pictures of Yeshua (Jesus) in Shabbat dinner! I'd love to talk with you about them sometime! And may YHWH reveal new things to you in His word in your studies! Be blessed!

-Allison

Upvote 0

7thDayRest

Mar 18, 2017
USA
✟15,222.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Fasting is NOT to be done on the Sabbath Day according to THE BOOK OF JUBILEES.
Book of Jubilees - 50:1-12
It is a day of REST and your not suppose to be afflicting yourself on this day. It is to be a day of relaxing from ordinary work and every day toil, not for discomfort.
How are we to properly and wholesomely worship YHVH (the GOD of Abraham, Issac and Jacob) with hunger pains to distract us away from spending time with the Lord. People have a hard time resting when they're hungry too.

And as for the Sabbath being for the Jews and that "...you don't have to keep the Sabbath if your not Jewish..." (or apart of Israel) comment, your suppose to! The Lord made a covenant with HIS set apart people...and with eunuch's, foreigner's and anyone else who wants to attach themselves to the Lord. Its about attaching yourself to YAHWEH and keeping HIS commandments.
It is the day YHVH set apart for mankind, HIS creation. YHVH (GOD, EL' SHADDAI, ABBA, YAHWEH...) IT'S NOT A JEWISH DAY, IT'S NOT A CHRISTIAN DAY, its the Lords Sabbath because HE rested that day and WE are meant to do the same.
GEN 2:3 "And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had done."

EXODUS 31:13 "speak also to the children of Israel saying keep my Sabbath for this is a sign between me and you throughout the ages that you may know that I the Lord have consecrated you."
ISAIAH 56:3 "DO NOT LET THE SON OF THE FOREIGNER WHO HAS JOINED HIMSELF TO YAHWEH SPEAK SAYING, "YAHWEH HAS UTTERLY SEPARATED ME FROM HIS PEOPLE", NOR LET THE EUNUCH SAY "HERE I AM A DRY TREE", FOR THUS SAYS YAHWEH TO THE EUNUCH'S WHO KEEP MY SABBATH AND CHOOSE WHAT PLEASES ME AND HOLD FAST MY COVENANT EVEN TO THEM I WILL GIVE IN MY HOUSE AND WITHIN MY WALLS A PLACE AND A NAME better than that of sons and daughters I will give them an everlasting name that shall not be cut off also the sons of the Foreigner who join themselves to the Lord to serve him and to love the name of the Lord to be his servants everyone who keeps from defiling the Sabbath and hold fast my Covenant." (see also Isaiah 66:23 "...All flesh...")
MARK 2:27 "...the Sabbath was made for man, NOT man for the Sabbath."

The bottom line is, with all due respect we should not be following any man-made traditions whether it be of the Christian church or the Rabbinical teachings of the rabbis but hang on every word of our heavenly father YAHWEH..."IT IS WRITTEN".

Upvote 0

7thDayRest

Mar 18, 2017
USA
✟15,222.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
If you choose to fast you should do it correctly. If you are healthy and have no medical issues, such as taking medication or have special dietary requirements, then your ARE perfectly capable of fasting. The Lord requires "mercy not sacrifice". For the sick are we to make those that already suffer without food and are desparately in need of sustinance to fast along with those that are required to take medication. This is not to say that the Creator is not all powerful and can not sustain us but HE does provide care and relief through Physicians for our needs.

It is good to fast. Not only does it cleanse the body for a time, but it allows us to stay glued to reality. Suffering without food and water for a while is no trifle compared to what we could be suffering; and at least we get to choose to fast.
Most importantly this time is for the atonement of sins and reflection.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
I was going to say... in the Orthodox Christian tradition, fasting on the sabbath is unseemly, and it wouldn't surprise me if it were the same in Judaism.

In the middle ages some Latin Christians fasted on saturday because Jesus spent the day in the tomb, but that is one of the things that lead to the Great Schism in 1054.

Upvote 0

Tenderloin

Feb 16, 2018
Michigan
✟7,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is a day of REST and your not suppose to be afflicting yourself on this day. It is to be a day of relaxing from ordinary work and every day toil, not for discomfort.
How are we to properly and wholesomely worship YHVH (the GOD of Abraham, Issac and Jacob) with hunger pains to distract us away from spending time with the Lord. People have a hard time resting when they're hungry too.

And as for the Sabbath being for the Jews and that "...you don't have to keep the Sabbath if your not Jewish..." (or apart of Israel) comment, your suppose to! The Lord made a covenant with HIS set apart people...and with eunuch's, foreigner's and anyone else who wants to attach themselves to the Lord. Its about attaching yourself to YAHWEH and keeping HIS commandments.
It is the day YHVH set apart for mankind, HIS creation. YHVH (GOD, EL' SHADDAI, ABBA, YAHWEH...) IT'S NOT A JEWISH DAY, IT'S NOT A CHRISTIAN DAY, its the Lords Sabbath because HE rested that day and WE are meant to do the same.
GEN 2:3 "And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had done."

EXODUS 31:13 "speak also to the children of Israel saying keep my Sabbath for this is a sign between me and you throughout the ages that you may know that I the Lord have consecrated you."
ISAIAH 56:3 "DO NOT LET THE SON OF THE FOREIGNER WHO HAS JOINED HIMSELF TO YAHWEH SPEAK SAYING, "YAHWEH HAS UTTERLY SEPARATED ME FROM HIS PEOPLE", NOR LET THE EUNUCH SAY "HERE I AM A DRY TREE", FOR THUS SAYS YAHWEH TO THE EUNUCH'S WHO KEEP MY SABBATH AND CHOOSE WHAT PLEASES ME AND HOLD FAST MY COVENANT EVEN TO THEM I WILL GIVE IN MY HOUSE AND WITHIN MY WALLS A PLACE AND A NAME better than that of sons and daughters I will give them an everlasting name that shall not be cut off also the sons of the Foreigner who join themselves to the Lord to serve him and to love the name of the Lord to be his servants everyone who keeps from defiling the Sabbath and hold fast my Covenant." (see also Isaiah 66:23 "...All flesh...")

The bottom line is, with all due respect we should not be following any man-made traditions whether it be of the Christian church or the Rabbinical teachings of the rabbis but hang on every word of our heavenly father YAHWEH..."IT IS WRITTEN".

Upvote 0

Tenderloin

Feb 16, 2018
Michigan
✟7,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Things always get a bit muddled when one mixes Judaism and Christianity. Transferring the Old Covenant obligations pertaining to the Sabbath to Sunday (which is not and never was the Sabbath) is but one example. Nowadays, Christians are all muddled in the head, thinking Sunday is a day of commanded rest and the day of which the Fourth Commandment speaks. The truth of the gospel, however, is that the seventh-day Sabbath was the sign of the old covenant between God and Israel. That covenant can be summed up simply as, "This do, and you shall live." Or, as Jesus put it, quoting the OT [paraphrased], "Man lives by keeping every word of God."

That, of course, was exactly how Jesus obtained eternal life: by keeping perfectly every commandment in the law. He, alone, was able to claim the promise of the old covenant. We cannot. Thankfully, Jesus has made a new covenant with us, as foretold by Ezekiel: "The justified ones shall obtain life through faith." Faith in Jesus Christ.

Thus, the keeping of Sabbaths and new moons and other holy days, while perhaps enjoyable and beneficial in certain respects, is not required of Christians, who are saved by faith and not by works of the law, which do not justify anyone.

Does this mean that all standards of morality and good behavior are repealed? Of course not. Standards of morality and good behavior did not come into being with the old covenant or the Ten Commandments, and the did not cease to exist when that covenant passed away. The standards of holiness have always existed, just as God has always existed. But observing a particular day of the week does not make one holy. It is a form, a symbol, a "shadow." It was part of an old covenant that is now obsolete.

Some suppose that God made the Sabbath at Creation. This is not accurate. God rested on the seventh day of Creation week and consecrated THAT single day. That was the first (and last) day in which mankind enjoyed perfect communion and rest with the Creator. At evening on that day, Adam and Eve profaned God's rest by taking of the forbidden fruit and God cursed them with hard labor--in childbirth and subsistence--and cast them out of the garden, out of his rest. On the eighth day--the first day of the new, sinful world--God ended his rest and commenced his labor of redeeming humanity and bringing them back into his rest.

There is no record that God ever commanded Adam and Eve or anyone else prior to Moses to keep a weekly Sabbath. Nor is there any record of anyone prior to Moses observing the weekly Sabbath. The weekly Sabbath created at Sinai was a shadow of the future, eternal, spiritual rest into which God desires to bring his people, through faith in Christ. The rest of God on the seventh day of Creation week was a singular, historical antecedent to the weekly Sabbath established at Sinai, much like the Pilgrim's thanksgiving celebration was a historical antecedent to the American national holiday that was not actually legally instituted until 1941.

So, in sum, the weekly seventh-day Sabbath is not a commanded day of rest "for all mankind," nor is it any longer God's holy day for Jews or Christians. It has passed away with the old covenant. The only path to God's rest is through the new covenant. We enter God's rest now through faith in Jesus Christ and reliance on his righteousness, not on our own deeds of obedience.

Anyone is free to observe a Saturday rest for any of various perfectly valid reasons, if he chooses, but he should be careful not to confuse his personal decision with God's commandment. "The righteous requirement of the law" is no longer efficacious; it is justification by faith in Christ that makes us righteous. If you start mingling in requirements to keep certain days and abstain from certain foods etc. then you are corrupting God's grace. You might as well try to do the whole law, instead of just picking and choosing a part here and there.

Upvote 0

YHWH_will_uplift

Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2016
California
✟163,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married

If you choose to fast you should do it correctly. If you are healthy and have no medical issues, such as taking medication or have special dietary requirements, then your ARE perfectly capable of fasting. The Lord requires "mercy not sacrifice". For the sick are we to make those that already suffer without food and are desparately in need of sustinance to fast along with those that are required to take medication. This is not to say that the Creator is not all powerful and can not sustain us but HE does provide care and relief through Physicians for our needs.

It is good to fast. Not only does it cleanse the body for a time, but it allows us to stay glued to reality. Suffering without food and water for a while is no trifle compared to what we could be suffering; and at least we get to choose to fast.
Most importantly this time is for the atonement of sins and reflection.

This is crazy I was led by the Holy Spirit to your post! I started my 40 Day & 40 Night dry fast on 06/16/18 which is the 7th Day Sabbath! My God forgive me for sinning against you...I was slow to remember the prohibition of fasting on the Sabbath day until I was meditating about the Sabbath observances in the Torah and the Book of Jubilees...does this mean that the fasts of Moses, Elijah, and Jesus were in violation? No, they still fasted for a total of 40 Days & 40 Nights but, they did not do so on the Sabbath day as they would not violate the Law: especially Jesus Christ. I also find it interesting that in the story of Judith she fasted the first six days of the week but on the 7th Day she feasted.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums