TheSeabass

Jul 9, 2015
✟47,754.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Which brings us back to your opinion not constituting fact. Thanks again.
What is it that you are calling my opinion?

It cannot be just my opinion that the NIV made the doctrinal changes in those verse(s) I cited earlier but a fact. You can see those changes the NIV made for yourself.

Upvote 0

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think it's more the case that the AV is more correct than any of the modern language translations, even if it's not perfect in every respect (since there is no translation which is).

This is an absolute complete fabrication.... no where near the truth in other words

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It's a 'complete fabrication' to think that the reason people favor the AV over other translations is that they feel it to be a better translation than the more recently-produced translations such as the NIV, and not because of the reasoning used by the KJV-O folks???? Really?

Who woulda figured? :scratch: :D

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's a 'complete fabrication' to think that the reason people favor the AV over other translations is that they feel it to be a better translation than the more recently-produced translations such as the NIV, and not because of the reasoning used by the KJV-O folks???? Really?

Who woulda figured? :scratch: :D

That's not what you said. You said:

it's more a case that the AV is more correct than any modern translation

Vast difference between your first statement and your second one.

But whatever, no need getting the blood pressure raised because of words.

KJO is a farce. The King James was a landmark translation but its time has passed, if someone holds to the TR then the NKJV or even the MEV are good choices. But the TR is really the issue with the debate.

• Winner
Reactions: pescador
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
But whatever, no need getting the blood pressure raised because of words.
That's what I thought when I read "complete fabrication." :sigh: That was rather a lot of verbal overkill, wouldn't you really say?

KJO is a farce. The King James was a landmark translation but its time has passed, if someone holds to the TR then the NKJV or even the MEV are good choices. But the TR is really the issue with the debate.
Well, I disagree with that, although I don't agree with the KJV-O arguments. As has been mentioned here on CF many times, the modern translations suffer from serious shortcomings when trying to improve upon the AV, and the idea that the AV isn't understandable by modern people is just dumb.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Well, I disagree with that, although I don't agree with the KJV-O arguments. As has been mentioned here on CF many times, the modern translations suffer from serious shortcomings when trying to improve upon the AV, and the idea that the AV isn't understandable by modern people is just dumb.

I've personally heard a number of people (even as recently during a bible study last night) that they had much difficulty understanding the KJV. While technically it *is* indeed understandable by modern people in general, there are still many individuals who seem to have a very hard time with it, and who may be served much better by alternate translations, perhaps even including the "reviled" NIV. :)

Upvote 0

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've personally heard a number of people (even as recently during a bible study last night) that they had much difficulty understanding the KJV. While technically it *is* indeed understandable by modern people in general, there are still many individuals who seem to have a very hard time with it, and who may be served much better by alternate translations, perhaps even including the "reviled" NIV. :)

Exactly.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Have they never heard of one of those Bibles with four different versions given side by side? Do they have no ability to check with some other translation when some word or other causes a little difficulty? WHAT, in other words, recommends throwing the baby out with the bathwater, discarding the most beautiful and edifying translation of all (and one that, yes, is more accurate than all or almost all of the more readable translations that people think they must use instead)?

Maybe it's just something that depresses me. Jewish children are taught to read their scriptures in a foreign language. Muslim people are, too. But we...oh, we have to have everything in baby talk or else it's too much for us. And you know that it's not confined to the Bible. We hear the same thing about the wording used in the worship service, and any prayer that's offered, in the wedding service, and on and on. :sigh:

Do you know what the reading level of the King James Version is as rated by English teachers and those organizations that evaluate such things? It's 12th Grade level. What the people who say they just can't understand it opt for instead is one or more of the translations that have been rated at 9th Grade or less! So, it's not as though the KJV is simply unintelligible to the average person.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Have they never heard of one of those Bibles with four different versions given side by side? Do they have no ability to check with some other translation when some word or other causes a little difficulty? WHAT, in other words, recommends throwing the baby out with the bathwater, discarding the most beautiful and edifying translation of all (and one that, yes, is more accurate than all or almost all of the more readable translations that people think they must use instead)?

Maybe it's just something that depresses me. Jewish children are taught to read their scriptures in a foreign language. Muslim people are, too. But we...oh, we have to have everything in baby talk or else it's too much for us. And you know that it's not confined to the Bible. We hear the same thing about the wording used in the worship service, and any prayer that's offered, in the wedding service, and on and on. :sigh:

Do you know what the reading level of the King James Version is as rated by English teachers and those organizations that evaluate such things? It's 12th Grade level. What the people who say they just can't understand it opt for instead is one or more of the translations that have been rated at 9th Grade or less! So, it's not as though the KJV is simply unintelligible to the average person.

I agree with you in part, and I share many of your frustrations, but I am also aware of current reality. Many people are just not up to par with their reading levels even as adults for various reasons. I'm not by any means suggesting they shouldn't ever attempt the KJV or completely toss it out, but when children learn to read, they don't just jump right in with Shakespeare. The terrible fact that many adults in Western culture aren't at that reading level is probably a different discussion (one which might involve the idea that we as a culture don't put much value on education or educators), but it is what it is. We must do what we need to do to get God's message out to people and get them reading and studying.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kiwi Christian

Jun 1, 2017
New Zealand
✟24,608.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It is fact.

Why was the subjunctive mood in John 3:16 changed to indicative mood?
Why was David's words perverted having him say he was born a sinner when he was not Psa 51?
Why was the Greek word sarx translated "sinful nature" when man does not have a sinful nature?
Why was Romans 10:9,10 made to read belief only saves when the bible does not teach such?
(These are a few examples of doctrinal tampering found in the NIV)

Why did the NIV change bible doctrine. None of the above changes, as far as I know, were due to texts the NIV but bias of the NIV authors.

God bless you, my friend.

Keep fighting the good fight!

Upvote 0

Douglas Hendrickson

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2015
✟133,415.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private

Thanks for pointing out that the King James is most beautiful and edifying!

And NOT to be thrown out simply because some forms of words in it are not spoken today.

Upvote 0

throughfiierytrial

Truth-Lover
Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2014
✟523,023.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Perhaps you have a point (and I grew up with the KJ memorizing large numbers of verses starting in the 1st grade...so I know well it can be mastered), but there are known additions to the KJ and they are there to advance a theology...one most of us agree upon. Now that the additions are removed say in the NIV 1984 (the 2011 is corrupted in my view with the gender neutral language as well as some puzzling translations...if one wants to recognize them as translations), now people are up in arms that the removal of the additions are an advancing of an anti-Biblical view and this is just ignorance of the facts. People selectively cite references to the translators and carefully weave their tale and it gets disseminated to the masses...that is Satan's work in my view. The 84, I happen to believe, is masterful and especially rewarding to read to those of us who wish we grew up reading Greek and Hebrew and the Aramaic to check out those translations. The manuscripts and changes are footnoted. All this builds confidence to such readers and takes the manuscripts out of the hands of the elite few that have the very great privilege to read them and puts them into the hands of the reader
Also, I believe trying to present the Word in modern day English here in America is difficult enough...unbelievers don't wish to hear such things on first several encounters...some of it is they find you to just be narrow-minded, with narrow-minded foolish beliefs and traditions. Try introducing them to the Word using KJ verses.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
That's what I thought when I read "complete fabrication." :sigh: That was rather a lot of verbal overkill, wouldn't you really say?

No, it's not "dumb" it's true. Most "modern people" have a hard time understanding 17th. century English for one good reason: it's not their native language. Do you really expect most English-speaking people in the 21st century to understand this...

"But when thou art bidden, go and sit down in the lowest room; that when
he that bade thee cometh, he may say unto thee, Friend, go up higher:
then shalt thou have worship in the presence of them that sit at meat
with thee."

Would you translate this for the rest of us? Or would you prefer this link: Bible Gateway passage: Luke 14:10 - New International Version

Because it's not their native language people must translate the KJV words into 21st century English, the kind we all think, read, and write today. How often do you hear pastors read from the KJV then translate it immediately, saying "what this means is..." If that isn't enough, why don't the participants on this forum write in 17th. century English to get their meaning across as clearly as possible?
"Will the unicorn be willing to serve thee, or abide by thy crib?" Job 39:9 :preach: If so, say hello to it for me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Douglas Hendrickson

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2015
✟133,415.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
No, it's not "dumb" it's true. Most "modern people" have a hard time understanding 17th. century English for one good reason: it's not their native language. Do you really expect most English-speaking people in the 21st century to understand this...

"But when thou art bidden, go and sit down in the lowest room; that when
he that bade thee cometh, he may say unto thee, Friend, go up higher:
then shalt thou have worship in the presence of them that sit at meat
with thee."

Would you translate this for the rest of us? Or would you prefer this link: Bible Gateway passage: Luke 14:10 - New International Version

Because it's not their native language people must translate the KJV words into 21st century English, the kind we all think, read, and write today. How often do you here pastors read from the KJV then translate it immediately, saying "what this means is..." If that isn't enough, why don't the participants on this forum write in 17th. century English to get their meaning across as clearly as possible?
"Will the unicorn be willing to serve thee, or abide by thy crib?" Job 39:9 :preach: If so, say hello to it for me.
What of this passage needs translation? Would regular English speakers not understand "bidden," as in someone bids you do to this or that? And certainly the "Thou art" is no problem.
And certainly the rest of the first line is totally unexceptional.
"He that bade thee cometh," would anyone have trouble seeing at first glance who that clearly refers to? "He may say unto thee," would anyone not see that clearly at first glance?
And "Friend, go up higher" needs no translation to be understood as telling him to take a "higher" position at the feast/meal, does it?
Then I think there would be no question it's saying you'll be enjoying your presence at the meal with others in your proper place, (which is entirely up to the host, of course.)
And, ".... have worship in the presence" is so full of promise, giving the entire passage a very uplifting feeling.

NO TRANSLATION REQUIRED.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
What of this passage needs translation? Would regular English speakers not understand "bidden," as in someone bids you do to this or that? And certainly the "Thou art" is no problem.
And certainly the rest of the first line is totally unexceptional.
"He that bade thee cometh," would anyone have trouble seeing at first glance who that clearly refers to? "He may say unto thee," would anyone not see that clearly at first glance?
And "Friend, go up higher" needs no translation to be understood as telling him to take a "higher" position at the feast/meal, does it?
Then I think there would be no question it's saying you'll be enjoying your presence at the meal with others in your proper place, (which is entirely up to the host, of course.)
And, ".... have worship in the presence" is so full of promise, giving the entire passage a very uplifting feeling.

NO TRANSLATION REQUIRED.

Then why did you just translate it???

Here is the KJV translation...

" But when thou art bidden, go and sit down in the lowest room; that when he that bade thee cometh, he may say unto thee, Friend, go up higher: then shalt thou have worship in the presence of them that sit at meat with thee."

For those people who would like the translation of this verse into understandable English by the competent NIV scholars, here it is...

"But when you are invited, take the lowest place, so that when your host comes, he will say to you, ‘Friend, move up to a better place.’ Then you will be honored in the presence of all the other guests."

"then shalt thou have worship in the presence of them that sit at meat with thee" versus "Then you will be honored in the presence of all the other guests."

Are you worshiping while others are eating lamb or goat??? 'Cause that's what the KJV says!

The meaning of the verse in the KJV is muddled and obscure; the NIV meaning is totally clear.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Will the unicorn be willing to serve thee, or abide by thy crib?" Job 39:9 (KJV) :preach: If so, say hello to it for me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Douglas Hendrickson

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2015
✟133,415.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Then why did you just translate it???

Here is the KJV translation...

" But when thou art bidden, go and sit down in the lowest room; that when he that bade thee cometh, he may say unto thee, Friend, go up higher: then shalt thou have worship in the presence of them that sit at meat with thee."

For those people who would like the translation of this verse into understandable English by the competent NIV scholars, here it is...

"But when you are invited, take the lowest place, so that when your host comes, he will say to you, ‘Friend, move up to a better place.’ Then you will be honored in the presence of all the other guests."

"then shalt thou have worship in the presence of them that sit at meat with thee" versus "Then you will be honored in the presence of all the other guests."

Are you worshiping while others are eating lamb or goat??? 'Cause that's what the KJV says!

The meaning of the verse in the KJV is muddled and obscure; the NIV meaning is totally clear.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Will the unicorn be willing to serve thee, or abide by thy crib?" Job 39:9 (KJV) :preach: If so, say hello to it for me.
I did not translate it.

I merely pointed out how it is quiet understandable straightforwardly the way it is, WITHOUT ANY TRANSLATION.
It is false to say the KJV says you are worshiping while others are eating lamb or goat. It does NOT say that. It indicates a resultant reverence of presence when "at meat," or having a meal. Your worship is (the meal) in the presence of others it says, it does not say what you say it says.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I did not translate it.

I merely pointed out how it is quiet understandable straightforwardly the way it is, WITHOUT ANY TRANSLATION.
It is false to say the KJV says you are worshiping while others are eating lamb or goat. It does NOT say that. It indicates a resultant reverence of presence when "at meat," or having a meal. Your worship is (the meal) in the presence of others it says, it does not say what you say it says.

Which of the two translations I quoted above is more understandable? Anyone reading it in the KJV has to do some mental gymnastics to figure out what it means. Those hearing it in the source language during the time it was read to them didn't have to do that and neither should we. It is definitely not "quiet understandable straightforwardly".

Upvote 0

Douglas Hendrickson

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2015
✟133,415.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Which of the two translations I quoted above is more understandable? Anyone reading it in the KJV has to do some mental gymnastics to figure out what it means. Those hearing it in the source language during the time it was read to them didn't have to do that and neither should we. It is definitely not "quiet understandable straightforwardly".

I prefer what you call the "mental gymnastics," it is more interesting to me.
(Just like you seem to find delight in the "unicorn" service!)
If one does not like that sort of thing, one can refer to or read some other translation, almost anything except the NIV if one wants integrity, imho.

I find the KJV "gymnastics" mentally stimulating and divinely inspiring.

Plus that it's not gone off on its own ideas just to "make it seem right" and easily understandable.
(Interesting to notice that a unicorn will not be much of a servant or baby sitter, whatever else it is good for. A single horn thing may not be a baby thing in that sense.)

Upvote 0