timf

Jun 12, 2011
✟79,640.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Frustration and feelings of inadequacy in the Christian life can be symptomatic of a walk in the flesh. The Bible says that we should not think more highly of ourselves than we ought because this is more common. However, the principle of seeing ourselves in truth could also apply to those who think less highly of themselves than they ought.

It is the Spirit of truth that should lead us. The evil in the world can be overwhelming. When you read what Solomon wrote, you can feel his frustration as well. He had wisdom from God, but his walk was so distant that he received no assurance from God.

When we walk in the flesh we also find a similar frustration. Here is a web page that provides a little thought about walking by the Spirit;

Christian Pioneer - How do you walk in the Spirit?

Upvote 0

Shema Yisrael

קדוש לישוע
Feb 7, 2014
✟15,277.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Hang in there. You are loved for being who you are, not who you think you should be. And the fact that you are able to express your desire to be more in Christ shows you have more than enough faith to bring you through the day. I pray the enemy does not confuse you enough to cause you to think your faith is worthless. I see it, and it's more precious than gold. So hang in there my son. You are being tested, as we all are. The Father tests those he loves, in a good way. So don't let the enemy fool you that He is testing you for failure. He is not. He test us for success. To see how much we have sacrificed, to see how much faith we have placed in his Words. I see faith in yours still. All is not lost. I also pray for you to find support and encouragment in real life in your walk toward our Savior. You are not alone, no matter how much the enemy tries to fool you.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I dislike how I interact with people because I overvalue other people's opinions,
This might not have been the best place to come, then. Opinions abound.

so I find ways to hate myself... and then I hate myself for hating myself. My self-esteem is below average, to put it nicely.
God intends we should have a full awareness of our potential for sin, but He doesn't require that His children hate themselves. Hate your flesh, that carnal part of you that craves inordinate gratification, that old Self that tempts you to sin, but you are also a new creature in Christ, one for whom the Savior died, a person made in the image of God and this makes you very valuable and precious.

Forget the self-esteem nonsense. It is completely unbiblical. God calls you to humbly accept who He has made you to be, not esteem yourself.

God is there, but he's hidden. Maybe to test me, maybe to make me a better person.
In what way is He hidden to you? The Bible says that if you are a child of God, His Spirit dwells within you, and that He "will never leave you nor forsake you."

How do I even know I'm doing any good?
By the good fruit you bear in your life.

Romans 6:22
22 But now having been set free from sin, and having become slaves of God, you have your fruit to holiness, and the end, everlasting life.

Galatians 5:22-23
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,
23 gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.

I feel like God made it especially hard for me to follow him since ever since childhood I've been around strong-minded people who manipulate and push people around.
This doesn't sound like God made it hard to follow Him; the people around you did.

People and their self-applied "omniscience." The corruption in the world tires me, and I have to feel alone for it, and feel guilty for not knowing what's true anymore.
God's Word tells you the Truth. Read it.

Psalms 34:8
8 Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good; Blessed is the man who trusts in Him!

Selah.

Upvote 0

DreamingDay

Forgiven
Sep 11, 2012
✟7,894.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I understand how you feel when you talk about overvaluing others opinions. This is something I'm struggling with in my own life. I put too much weight with peoples words and not enough with God's and in turn it makes me a coward and timid which makes me ashamed. It's a very frustrating cycle.

The first thing I think when I read your post is that you must be a very strong person. In spite of the people around you and their opinions, you're still holding on to your faith. Many people fall for lesser things. Stay steadfast and don't let others steal your joy! I don't know why we give others such power over us but there is a power stronger than all the forces in the world combined. The love of God.

You're faith may feel weak at times, but remember what Paul says about Jesus in II Corinthians 12: 9-10 But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

I think the more we immerse ourselves in God, the more the world will fade away and lose its sway. Its easy to get depressed when you think about this world and its corruption, I know I do. But it helps me to remember that one day God will wipe every tear from our eyes and we will live in perfect peace with Him forever. Praying for a portion of that peace in your life now!

Upvote 0

thatforumguy77

Random Person
Nov 5, 2013
✟8,134.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Good day, Chad -
I think you're trapping yourself into a label you made for yourself. Eventually, when we describe ourselves into enough adjectives and specificities, we become that adjective, we become that description, we become that label. In the past, I've labelled myself shy and melancholic and antisocial for so many years that I've eventually become one and I only managed to break free when I surrendered everything completely to Christ. When you lose yourself to Christ, you lose your perceived strengths yes, but you also lose your weaknesses. And you gain His strength. Try this:

Don't Define Yourself.
Don't let the world or your neighbors or even you yourself define who you are - but let God define you. You are not a victim, nor are you powerless or hopeless. Read God's words and you'll know what he calls us. We are loved. We are sons of God. Children of the Most High. We are more than conquerors. Priests. Soldiers. Ambassadors. Pilgrims from Heaven. We are exalted, chosen, lifted up, special. And yes, we are also called by God to be "apart" from the World. To not be conformed, but to be transformed for the better. To be spiritual not physical.

Value God more than your Neighbors.
Try not to raise your neighbors into a status higher than God. For short, be accountable to God, not to anyone else. When someone wrongs you, immediately look to heaven and see the world as God sees it. See this person as God sees him/her. Unbelievers that look strong to the world are like mere children to God. Look to David, how did he overcome Goliath the Giant, it is in understanding that hid God is greater, stronger, and larger than even this giant Philistine. Imagine God looking down into the earth and he sees Goliath facing David. Is not the giant a mere speck in the eyes of someone who created the cosmos?

Surrender to God's Purpose.
There is no way of understanding life. Life has no meaning outside of God. God created the world with a purpose - and if we simply look at the world and not the Creator, then we cannot understand what the world is for. It is like looking at a new invention and not bothering to consult the inventor, or even read the instruction manual. We will only see the mechanical parts moving, twirling, but we will have no idea why it does so. In the same way, we may see the events of the world, the tragedies and successes - but outside the PURPOSE of the world, such becomes random events and thus become meaningless to us. We must look to the world's PURPOSE or else we can never understand why something happens the way it does. Nor can we accept it. In simple terms, understand who is in control of your life and the world you live in.

It's not about us.

Life as we know it is not about us. It is about God's purpose through us. Moses was not called to comfort, he was called to walk into the wilderness, to be persecuted by the people he saved from the Egyptians, to be hungry and thirsty and tired. But he became a patriarch because he persevered amidst trial and went ahead in faith. Noah did something ridiculous for a hundred years. He built a large ark in dry land and people laughed at him while he did so. He was persecuted as well, but he did not budge, instead he simply trusted in God's vision and DID HIS WORK.THis is the singular way of knowing that we are doing "good" - it is by OBEDIENCE.

Your suffering makes you strong.
Sometimes we fight against suffering and thus see it as a punishment from God. But is it? Read Paul's account below.
To keep me from becoming conceited... there was given me a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan to torment me. Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me: "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." ... That is why for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
- 2 Corinthians 7-10
Think of suffering in this world as a weighing scale - in one end, you have all your trials - insults, persecutions, and so forth. The weight placed upon you by the world will make the weighing scale's side fall hard. But God's response is not to remove such weights from the side of the world, but to create a counterweight of eternity in the other. In contrast to your worldly sufferings, God gives you counterweights from eternity - blessings, spiritual rewards, eternal life, treasures from heaven. As such, compared to such eternal counterweights, our physical problems seem small and light. It is when we are weakest that we are strongest. It is when we are most tried that we are most rewarded.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟798,673.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
John 17:23 " I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me."

Based on this Scripture - “We all know that the Father loves His son. You know, He loves Jesus so perfectly. As the Lord loves Him - that’s how much He loves you. You might think He can’t because I can’t be perfect like Jesus. God doesn’t love Jesus because He’s perfect, He loves Jesus because Jesus is His son and that’s why God loves Jesus. He loves you the same way. He loves you the same way He loves Jesus because you are His child. The Father Himself loves you.” [FONT=&quot]Patricia King[/FONT]

Upvote 0

Shulamite7

Jul 13, 2012
✟15,669.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You sound just like how I used to be in my past. Exactly the same! Now I learned to accept things as they are. Otherwise you will go crazy. Don't listen to the negative thoughts that the devil is trying to plant in your mind. Next time you get a thought that makes you feel inferior say, "Devil, you are a liar".
Maybe the following points will help you change how you feel about yourself if you meditate on it and apply it in your life.

Our thinking vs God's Promises

Man's View God's Promises
It's impossible All things are possible (Luke 18:27)
I'm too tired
I will give you rest (Matthew 11:28-30)
Nobody really loves me I love you (John 3:16 & John 13:34)
I can't go on My grace is sufficient (II Corinthians 12:9 & Psalm 91:15)
I can't figure things out I will direct your steps (Proverbs 3:5-6)
I can't do it You can do all things (Philippians 4:13)
I can't forgive myself I forgive you (I John 1:9 & Romans 8:1)
I can't manage
I will supply all your needs (Philippians 4:19)
I'm afraid I have not given you a spirit of fear (II Timothy 1:7)
I'm always worried and frustrated
Cast all your cares on Me (I Peter 5:7)
I don't have enough faith I've given everyone a measure of faith (Romans 12:3)
I'm not smart enough I give you wisdom (I Corinthians 1:30)
I feel all alone
I will never leave you or forsake you (Hebrews 13:5)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Shulamite7

Jul 13, 2012
✟15,669.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You sound just like how I used to be in my past. Exactly the same! Now I learned to accept things as they are. Otherwise you will go crazy. Don't listen to the negative thoughts that the devil is trying to plant in your mind. Next time you get a thought that makes you feel inferior say, "Devil, you are a liar".
Maybe the following points will help you change how you feel about yourself if you meditate on it and apply it in your life.

Our thinking vs God's Promises

Man's View God's Promises
It's impossible All things are possible (Luke 18:27) I'm too tired I will give you rest (Matthew 11:28-30) Nobody really loves me I love you (John 3:16 & John 13:34) I can't go on My grace is sufficient (II Corinthians 12:9 & Psalm 91:15) I can't figure things out I will direct your steps (Proverbs 3:5-6) I can't do it You can do all things (Philippians 4:13) I can't forgive myself I forgive you (I John 1:9 & Romans 8:1) I can't manage I will supply all your needs (Philippians 4:19) I'm afraid I have not given you a spirit of fear (II Timothy 1:7) I'm always worried and frustrated Cast all your cares on Me (I Peter 5:7) I don't have enough faith I've given everyone a measure of faith (Romans 12:3) I'm not smart enough I give you wisdom (I Corinthians 1:30) I feel all alone I will never leave you or forsake you (Hebrews 13:5)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Oct 7, 2005
✟2,829.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Finances seem to be the number one prayer request according to television pastor Benny Hinn. If that's the case then the world sharemarket, stock exchange and banks should invest in church ministries such as Benny Hinn's. If the non-Christian global community took Christ's clone-like supernatural multiplication seriously: a basket containing one loaf and two fishes into a basketful of fishes and loaves that keep filling up when empty until the hungry crowd was hungry no more - then the hungry crowd that represents us as investors would not have to struggle with poverty circumstances, sky-rocketing bills, unemployment, unaffordable educational circumstances, government corruption or budget cuts:.
Sometimes I wonder if Jesus should return now to advise everyone about his "supernatural clone-like investment" where not only finances are concerned but also the growing consumer-driven demand for food and resources that are God's creation, and while Satan is in the midst of all this global economic rollercoaster, his sin-causing logic is making a lot of non-Christians decide where investment should traditionally be invested where church ministries are quietly "swept under the carpet" as if they don't exist.:
Patience is needed during this constant spiritual war with Satan until Jesus returns, so that our peaceful feelings of patience will turn into permanent relief once Jesus will provide us with effective supernatural solutions that are beyond or light years ahead of our 21st century scientific human research solutions .;'*';. Rev 21:2
:liturgy:

Upvote 0

DreyDay

Jun 9, 2013
✟11,342.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Dude you have to change your mindset. You put everybody's opinions on the pedestal and leave yours in the dirt. When I was your age I did the same thing. I never stood up for myself, everybody was right, I was wrong, I can never make a difference, what I thought was wrong, what I wanted was wrong, I didn't deserve what I wanted, God didn't want to give me as much as he wants to give to others. All these toxic thoughts will destroy your life.

God created Adam and Eve to live a perfect life, until they screwed it up. God's intention still hasn't changed: he intends us to be all we can be. You're entering a stage of your life where you're developing your own opinions and beliefs, and possibly somewhere along the way an older adult or parent smashed down what you thought and made you dependent on what they thought and wanted. It's possible these people thought for you and desired for you.

You're on the way to becoming a man, and part of it is to create your own beliefs and pave your own way with God at the center. God is inside you, and you have no reason to lack confidence. I grew out of this phase you're in, and you will to if you let God work in you to become a real man.

You're living in a world where 95% of the population will tell you it's okay to be mediocre, that it's ok to be you and feel bad and to accept it as the way it is and maybe God will toss you a crust of bread every now and then. People will bring you down if you try to change for the better, if you stand up for yourself, your opinions. People in your church, your own family will question you and your newly found confidence. They will say things like you're being too arrogant, how dare you think like that, and so on. Don't buy into this. I experienced all of this and now everybody respects me.

You have to rise out of the mediocrity, make a name for yourself, and own your territory. Walk the earth, walk the campus, shops, classes like you own the place: head high, chest back, staring everything down and having everything bend to you instead of you nervously trembling at anything that startles you. This is the advice that very few people at church, message boards, or anywhere will tell you. Rise up and meet the challenge, because you will have 95% of the people who won't.

-Andre

Last edited:
Upvote 0