• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Trusting in Jesus

Blaise N

Jul 4, 2021
Midwest US
✟117,846.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi everyone,

I’d like to speak out about a certain thought that passed my mind that I can’t find an answer for.It’s this,I watched a video on YouTube speaking about proverbs 3:5,and it was a gentleman speaking of the verses meaning and the difference between believing in God vs Trusting in God. The thought was “”Am I trusting in Jesus or my ability to trust in Jesus?” And it’s very worrisome and anxiety inducing because I don’t know if I trust Jesus though I say to him “I trust you Jesus”.How can I be sure?

TheWhat?

Ate all the treats
Jul 3, 2021
SoCal
✟38,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think you're watching too many youtube videos for one. Even if one managed to convince you, it's just a flimsy faith in that person. You should be seeking Christ yourself. Work on your own faith, your own relationship with God. Pray to God that he would give you faith. There's so many things to do.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hi everyone,

I’d like to speak out about a certain thought that passed my mind that I can’t find an answer for.It’s this,I watched a video on YouTube speaking about proverbs 3:5,and it was a gentleman speaking of the verses meaning and the difference between believing in God vs Trusting in God. The thought was “”Am I trusting in Jesus or my ability to trust in Jesus?” And it’s very worrisome and anxiety inducing because I don’t know if I trust Jesus though I say to him “I trust you Jesus”.How can I be sure?

Belief - is something true or false.
Trust - firm belief in the reliability, truth, ability, or strength of someone or something

Do you believe Jesus spoke the truth? I do.
Do you believe Jesus will do what He said He will do? I do.

Upvote 0

Blaise N

Jul 4, 2021
Midwest US
✟117,846.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Belief - is something true or false.
Trust - firm belief in the reliability, truth, ability, or strength of someone or something

Do you believe Jesus spoke the truth? I do.
Do you believe Jesus will do what He said He will do? I do.
Yes and yes.Though with my anxiety I always doubt.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi everyone,

Here's the wonderful message Christ said for us on His promise for what will help us overcome our burdens/fears we have from the world around us:

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

He says to us to actually come and listen to His words, and learn from Him, and if we do then we will gain this wonderful promise of peace beyond understanding in our lives.

What are we to hear and learn? -- the words He spoke in order that we should listen and hear and learn from Him, which we have in the 4 gospel accounts.

Here's a place to begin, in the Gospel of Matthew, where Christ first speaks in that Gospel:
Matthew 3 NIV
(you could start in chapter 4 or even 5, but I think it's good to see what is in chapter 3 if you have time; regardless of where you start, we are to listen to Him, He tells us, absorb His words to us, which He spoke in order for us to hear)

Upvote 0

Tempura

Noob
Site Supporter
May 2, 2010
✟320,561.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Please let go of the idea that you have to dwell in every technical detail your mind throws at you. You don't have to live in terror and constant worry. It pains my heart to see so many people come into these forums who seem to live in constant panic about God, and whose minds can twist absolutely everything against them.

Always think of God as a Father, which He is, and Christ as a savior, which He is. Down here the best kinds of fathers - who aren't even close to being perfect, know the weaknesses and anxieties and fears of their children. They don't use these things against their children, because their children are dear to them. Nor do they throw their children into some neverending dark labyrinth of fear and confusion for 20 years just for laughs. Good fathers, here on earth, can be very good. God is infinitely better than all of them combined.

We all grow in faith just as we grow in life. There will be bumps on the way, there will be some changes here and there, but we will grow. We can't take our cross for today and try to carry it for the next 5000 days' worth in one day. Luckily patience is something we can't avoid learning. For some it's a painful thing to learn, but we will learn.

While were down here we will never know everything. Knowledge will pass away, but love won't.

Trusting God, especially in the case of constant worry and anxiety (I've had my own problems with anxiety and fear), is holding on to the idea that "God will not forsake me, no matter how weak I feel". It's about wanting to trust in Him, choosing to hope in Him, no matter how we feel or fear. It's childlike. It's an attitude people like us will develop in time.

There are people who can't grasp what living with constant anxiety and fear is like. But God understands all of it. He knows, and the power of the cross of Christ still holds true for you today, as it did yesterday, and will do so tomorrow. It's okay, you are loved by the Most High, and you are safely hid in Christ.

• Winner
Reactions: Blaise N
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Plus,how do I know if I’m praying right?
The most key prayer we should pray (since we don't know precisely how best to pray as we learn in Romans 8, but need God's help) -- is answered by Christ, for us, in this chapter:
Matthew 6 NIV

• Winner
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Plus,how do I know if I’m praying right?

One of the disciples asked how they should pray ;o)

Luke 11:1-13

Romans 8:26-27
New International Version

26 In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans. 27 And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for God’s people in accordance with the will of God.

Jesus is your most trusted friend, talk with Him in that manner.

John 15:15 ESV
No longer do I call you servants, for the servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all that I have heard from my Father I have made known to you.

• Winner
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Trusting in Him

Oct 25, 2021
Devon
✟49,590.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Trusting in the Lord does not means that life is going to be without it's trials. Those who commit their lives to him will face trials of their faith to see if it s the real thing and it may be that the trials, which you have to face may be hard ones. I can understand that this may be scary, but this is often how He puts iron into us. If you are wanting an easy life, I don't know anywhere in the bible that promises this.

I did not want to be crippled by a stroke, but that's what has happen to both myself and my wife! Both of us are still committed to Him inspite of this. The bible says that Job said "Though He slay me, yet will I trust Him". If you are not sure that you trust Him, I can assure you that there is no such thing as half trusting Him, it's either all or nothing.

Trials are necessary. Look at what it says in James 1:12. Blessed is the man that endureth temptation, for when he is tried he shall receive a crown of life, which the Lord has promised to them that love Him.

The temptation does not come from God, but we are to endure it that God may try us and we may receive a crown of life. The crown is to do with ruling and it's a crown of life. We are to endure and to receive what it takes to be those that are able to rule over the temptations of our own lives. Trusting Him and expecting not to experience troubles in this life, is not the deal.

If you love God, it is going to cost you something. Even love between humans is going to cost us. Love which does not cost us, does not have much value, I would suggest. When we marry a husband, or a wife, we promise to love each other in sickness, or in health. This is how love needs to work and we are to choose the same commitment to God.

Can we says with Job "Though he slay me, yet I will trust Him". That's how precious He is to be to us. That love is going to cost us not less than everything, we are not to hold anything back! Then we will know that we trust Him to the full.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Trusting in Him

Oct 25, 2021
Devon
✟49,590.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Look at the signature at the end of my posts. It is from Daniel 11:32 and says that "Those who Know their God shall be strong and do expoits". This is a conditional statment. If you Know your God, then you will be strong and do exploits. I think that those exploits will include trusting him. I hope that this may be helpful to you.

The bible also says "Trust in the lord and lean not on your own understanding". Are you going to trust His word, or your own understanding? Is your own understanding, better that trusting His word? I think that you already know which to choose!

Upvote 0

Norbert L

Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
✟560,360.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Hi everyone,

Look in the mirror.

I take that proverb, the do not lean on thine own heart to say in modern terms, when I get all worked up about something/anything, it's a good time to look up in the Bible all the things my selfish mind doesn't like about it. Actually I'm over sixty so I have them all memorized. Oddly I find that encouraging and a comforting because of Job's story. And this scripture 1 Peter 4:12, something can always go wrong. Plus:

And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ. Philippians 1:6 ESV

Jesus came back from the dead, His people love Him, He loves His people and His history checks out. The historical evidence comes from the greatest script writer ever imo. Mankind isn't smart enough to make this kind of stuff up.

So I don't see any down side to Jesus but I see plenty of down side in thinking that I by myself or any deal with a devil is going to make living any better or worse than it already is.

Speaking about making stuff up, it's not always bad. The last show I watched from Inspiring Philosophy could be reassuring.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The thought was “”Am I trusting in Jesus or my ability to trust in Jesus?” And it’s very worrisome and anxiety inducing because I don’t know if I trust Jesus though I say to him “I trust you Jesus”.How can I be sure?
God is sure; so trust Him to do what you need >

"casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you." (1 Peter 5:7)

Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Though with my anxiety I always doubt.

Trusting in Jesus/God is difficult to prove. The problem is we don't have to trust him for our food, power, internet etc we have this all paid for by the money in the bank.

When life smacks one in the face and one has to trust God, it is hard, it hurts but then one has a choice, to grit ones teeth and trust God no matter what or to give in to dispair and seek help/oblivion in drink, drugs etc.

It is not that you are consiously trusting God but that you intend to trust him.

God has promised never to put out the smoking ember of anyones faith. He knows how fraile we are.

You have many doubts, so find the answers to them and believe those answers, further doubts etc kick off the field by just acknowledging them with a 'yes ok' and pay them no more attention.

• Winner
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Trusting in Him

Oct 25, 2021
Devon
✟49,590.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Talk to God! He wants to be your friend. Tell Him how you feel and what you are struggling with. Don't try to be spiritual, just be yourself. Don't try to be like someone else. He made you to be you and you are the person that He wants to know and he wants you to know you Him too! Stop trying to be something before Him.

He is the one person in this world who you can't impress and none of your thoughts are hidden from Him. All you can do is just come as you are. You can do no more. You were born because He chose you to be. You were born for a reason as well. Before this world was, He chose you.

Ephesians 1:4 Accordingly as he hath chosen us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be Holy and without blame before Him in love.

You can't be holy and without blame before Him in love, any more that any of us can be by trying ourselves, it just not possible for us to do this, but in God all things are possible. Look around you at all the amazing things He has brought into being! Well don't you know that you are one of the amazing things which He has brought into being as well.

Ezekiel 16:6 And when I passed by thee, and saw thee polluted in thine own blood, I said upto thee when thou wast in thy blood, Live, yea I said unto thee when thou wast in thy blood, Live.

You have been chosen in Him to live as well. Have you ever considered that God has chosen each one of us that He might show us His love for us. Do you not want to know that for yourself? He is the greatest being in the universe and we have been chosen in Him that we might know Him as His chosen bride. Does that not excite you!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Trusting in Him

Oct 25, 2021
Devon
✟49,590.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Are you anxious, because you consider yourself unworthy before Him? We can all say that none of us are chosen by Him, because of our merits. Our merits are nothing! Even our own righteousness is as filthy rags before Him. We accept Him and His righteousness bcomes ours before his Father and Jesus will accept us before His father on that great day before His throne.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jaxxi

Half-ready for Anything.....
Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Hi everyone,

Honey have you been baptized? You can believe the fact that if you're a Christian, you have a demon. We all do. Satan has put a demon on all of us taking notes of what we do and tempting us to sin to hold it against later and prevent us from going to heaven. If they return back unable to get us to sin or if we keep repenting and they have nothing on us, satan punishes them and he sends a stronger demon to take his place. We must keep trying. Do not listen to the lies and doubts the devil puts in your head.

• Agree
Upvote 0