Aug 1, 2016
UK
✟7,612.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello.
I'm a lifelong Christian, in the sense that I was brought up in a Christian family and have always believed in God. I'm 16 and recently found myself distant from God, despite my efforts to stay with him. I'm truly conflicted right now and my faith is something that I hold very dear, but am starting to find very difficult. My questions are long and the journey to answering them will be even longer. As a Christian, am I supposed to trust that God will answer my prayers and that I will stay on his path for me. But as a person, I'm finding that so difficult. In my head I trust God, but in my heart, I'm afraid that I don't. Can anyone give me any advice or guidance as to what I can do? I know that there is never one answer, but I know that the Christian faith is one of communion and that there are hundreds of Christians out there who may be able to help me.

J. Elias

Jul 31, 2016
Oklahoma, USA
✟9,593.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Hello.
I'm a lifelong Christian, in the sense that I was brought up in a Christian family and have always believed in God. I'm 16 and recently found myself distant from God, despite my efforts to stay with him. I'm truly conflicted right now and my faith is something that I hold very dear, but am starting to find very difficult. My questions are long and the journey to answering them will be even longer. As a Christian, am I supposed to trust that God will answer my prayers and that I will stay on his path for me. But as a person, I'm finding that so difficult. In my head I trust God, but in my heart, I'm afraid that I don't. Can anyone give me any advice or guidance as to what I can do? I know that there is never one answer, but I know that the Christian faith is one of communion and that there are hundreds of Christians out there who may be able to help me.

Well, Sam, I must say, your post hit home with me. I could go into detail on my story, but suffice it to say I discovered a very dark side of my family over the past year.

I know exactly what it's like to have your head firmly rooted in Scripture, while your heart is telling you all manner of lies and confusing falsehoods. But, Jesus Himself tells us that we seek, and we shall find. If you seek God, if you earnestly knock, if your spirit desires Him above all else, He will not fail to reveal Himself to you. Interestingly, I've been questioning my own zeal for God the past few days. I don't pray as often as I would like to, I don't read Scripture as often as I feel I should, and doubt begins to take hold. I even wrestled with depression for years on my own at one point.

One thing I encourage you to do is to step out and search for truth. With my family, as I examined the things I was taught were "Christian" I came to disagree with a number of things my parents taught me. I also began to recognize certain problems that they had tried to smooth over through my childhood and adolescent years. Needless to say, it was a bit of a shell-shock, but as I earnestly dug in and sought God and the truth of things, I have not been disappointed. A great thing to keep in mind is that God is gracious to all who truly love Him, and He is even gracious with His enemies. How much more, then, will He lavish us with His grace?

If you don't mind me asking, are there some particular problems you've been having in regards to your faith? I may be able to help more if I understand better what sort of situation you're in.

Keep your head up, brother!

Upvote 0

thehehe

Oct 19, 2015
France
✟127,953.00
Country
France
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
During my teen crisis, I also got away from all these strange stories called God. I read the philosophers of the XXth, thinking it would open my eyes on religion but did not like it. It simply did not fit what I knew about it, what I saw from my parents about it -and the obsession of freedom was almost killing the conception of freedom itself, a great paradox. I am also a life long Christian, so I was uncomfortable, still going to Mass but afraid of the idea of God itself. Then someone told me to let me go and I did. I went to a retreat with my family, at a place I now love dearly. Here, I experienced God's love, almost always in the same way. I knew I believed now. I am coming back from a very strong Catholic event, which remained me of the strength of my faith (still in the same way). I advice you a retreat as well, or a talk with your pastor : human beings are beings of relationships: we feed us from the others. You will have to live your faith in your own way still. I personnally chase and recognize God in beauty and art - cathedrales, music, paintings, literature or even philosophy. Aesthetism is godly for me, so I got very strong emotions while reading the psalms and poems from a saint I deeply love. However it will certainly be different for you: so let God call you. In his way and in your own. Read the Bible, sure, pray, sure, but moreover let you call in these both "must" of Christianity. It can take time, but the only thing you will have to accept is to let you go.

Upvote 0

Sam L

Aug 1, 2016
UK
✟7,612.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thank you both for your stories and advice.

If you don't mind me asking, are there some particular problems you've been having in regards to your faith? I may be able to help more if I understand better what sort of situation you're in.

As much as I would like to tell you, I don't know. My head is swimming with questions and it's so hard to narrow it down to just one. I think that my biggest problem is simply doubt. As you can relate to, I know in my head that God is real, I don't feel it. The truth is, I don't know what I feel. These questions are starting to interfere in my ability to think about anything properly, whether it's relationships or decision making because I don't know how I feel. I'm struggling between what I should feel and what I actually feel. I don't know what I actually feel, but why isn't it the same as what I should feel? Am I not a good enough Christian? Is there something that I'm not doing? I'm doubting if I can truly believe in God with all my heart and I don't know what to do because when I pray or read the bible looking for answers, I start to wonder if it will work or not, which just leads to more doubt.

I went to a retreat with my family, at a place I now love dearly. Here, I experienced God's love, almost always in the same way. I knew I believed now. I am coming back from a very strong Catholic event, which remained me of the strength of my faith (still in the same way). I advice you a retreat as well, or a talk with your pastor : human beings are beings of relationships: we feed us from the others.

I understand this and I have just come back from a Christian camp for teenagers. That is what opened my eyes to all these questions that I've been ignoring. I know that that was part of God's plan and that my journey has now started. I just need to really feel it.

Upvote 0

J. Elias

Jul 31, 2016
Oklahoma, USA
✟9,593.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Thank you both for your stories and advice.

As much as I would like to tell you, I don't know. My head is swimming with questions and it's so hard to narrow it down to just one. I think that my biggest problem is simply doubt. As you can relate to, I know in my head that God is real, I don't feel it. The truth is, I don't know what I feel. These questions are starting to interfere in my ability to think about anything properly, whether it's relationships or decision making because I don't know how I feel. I'm struggling between what I should feel and what I actually feel. I don't know what I actually feel, but why isn't it the same as what I should feel? Am I not a good enough Christian? Is there something that I'm not doing? I'm doubting if I can truly believe in God with all my heart and I don't know what to do because when I pray or read the bible looking for answers, I start to wonder if it will work or not, which just leads to more doubt.

Well, as for the questions, you can probably post some of them in separate threads in "serious stuff," particularly in light of the fact that these questions are causing you to doubt your faith.

As for your feelings, it seems to me quite useless to try to control them. Of all the things in yourself you can control, emotions are one of the most difficult. In my opinion, there are two kind of emotions: those from our spirit, our innermost self, and those from our body, our physical self. Generally, the way I see it is that our spirit has, after we become regenerated by the Holy Spirit, emotions which are in tune with the truth. Often, these emotions are less passionate, but run deeper. Take the beautiful view of the stars, for example, and if the stars don't do it for you, then perhaps aurora borealis, the norther lights. In any case, when you observe these things, you sense a bit of awe and wonder. It is not so passionate as to put you in a great mood the rest of the day, at least, not at first. But it does invoke a quiet reverence. Examples of these sorts of quiet emotions would be things as sorrow, contentment, joy (not the exuberant kind, that's happiness), and grievance.

Conversely, we have physical emotions, where the chemicals in our brain that fire off to give us more passionate feelings. Examples are happiness, anger, fear, sadness, ecstasy, etc. These come and go with the mixture of chemicals in our brain. What Thehehe said about taking a retreat may help in some respects, but you will almost never be able to control these physical emotions. Instead, what you must learn to do is not let your emotions make your decisions.

In many cases your spiritual emotions should serve to guide you, alongside reason and with God's direction, to do what you do. Physical emotions are wonderful if they follow along, but oftentimes they do not. I think it would be folly to suggest you aren't a "good enough Christian" Nobody is. By grace, through faith, as we Protestants say. (no offense Thehehe) It isn't anything good we've done that saves us, it's what God has done through His Son. And nobody can take that from you. (Romans 8:31-39)

I encourage you to post your questions to the forum, and continue in your prayers. "Lord, I believe, help Thou mine unbelief!" (Mark 9:24) That was the prayer of a man who wanted to believe, but felt he couldn't. Take heart, for God is the Author and Perfecter of our faith (Hebrews 12:2) and will perfect the good work He started in you until the day of Christ. (Phillipians 1:6)

As a final note, by the questions you ask, you seem a genuine seeker. Someone who is only casually interested in God doesn't ask these questions.

Upvote 0