Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
I really appreciate that Teen Vogue wrote about this. Trump is an elderly man & many of those in his base are also Boomers who are either are receiving home health care or will be in the near future.

Home Care Workers are the Latest Vulnerable Group Under Attack by the Trump Administration

Home care workers are trained professionals who provide in-home care, companionship, and medical support for the millions of elderly people, injured people, and people with disabilities who need those services. They serve an extremely important role in our society, yet their labor is shockingly undervalued: the median wage for home care workers is only $13,000 per year, and over half depend on some form of public assistance to get by. The majority of them are women of color, and many are immigrants.

Their services are becoming increasingly crucial. In a post-Baby Boomer world, the United States population is aging fast; 10,000 people turn 65 every day in America, and by 2050, the number of Americans over 65 will double to 88 million, while the population over 85 will more than triple in the same time period. In addition, by 2040, there will be more than 50 million people with disabilities who need long term care. Home care workers and their labor are what allows people with these needs to remain at home instead of being placed in a nursing home or other institutions, and ensures that those needs are met when family members are unable to step in.

The industry includes more than 2 million workers (almost a million of whom are members of the Service Employees International Union) and is the fastest-growing occupation in the U.S., and will comprise the largest workforce in the country by 2026. It is work that’s largely government-funded via Medicare and Medicaid, which the Trump administration has long been vocal about its goal to cut.

The latest rule, which came a mere 24 hours after International Workers’ Day, was in the works for months.

Under the new Medicaid Provider Reassignment Regulation, states will be unable to make Medicaid payments to third parties like health insurance providers or unions on behalf of an individual worker. This means that 800,000 home care workers will now be blocked from deciding how to spend their own wages by using payroll deductions, which are a common way for workers in various industries to contribute money directly from their own paychecks for benefits like health insurance, retirement plans, or, in the case of many organized workers, union dues.

This hits home for me be I know how super important my great-nana's home care worker was for her quality of life at the end of her life. She was absolutely amazing. She had SUCH a hard job but she showed up & did it every day & had so much love in her heart. Home care workers like her are truly doing the work of Christ!

Please don't post here if you're not allowed to post here, k thx.

Reactions: timewerx

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,040.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Our world is run by thieves. People are not compensated fairly and by far.

Those businessmen at the temple. Jesus called them thieves not because they're selling at the holy place but they made profits at the expense of others - their workers, their slaves, their animals, and even their customers.

Theft, unlike robbery is taking what isn't rightfully theirs through deceit. And that is how the whole world makes money. Institutionalized, legalized theft, is still theft.

Upvote 0

rayraysh

Mar 21, 2020
London
✟14,694.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Why do they let this man speak? How dare he accuse these men and women who do Seniors care of "stealing" masks. They are risking their lives for us. How dare he. How can he call himself president of the people. He's becoming more and more unhinged during this crisis.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LovesOurLord

Jun 19, 2018
Denver
✟15,774.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I really appreciate that Teen Vogue wrote about this.

It's disheartening to see people taken by Marxist publications like Teen Vogue. Don't expect them to say anything positive about Trump or anyone not left of center.

Upvote 0