United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Trump says he'll pull US from nuclear agreement with Moscow

The pact helps protect the security of the U.S. and its allies in Europe and the Far East. It bars its signatories, the U.S. and Russia, from possessing, producing or test-flying a ground-launched cruise missile with a range of 300 to 3,400 miles.
Trump made the announcement following a campaign stop and Make America Great Again rally in Elko, Nevada.

nChrist

AKA: Tom - Saved By Grace Through Faith
Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Russia is already violating this agreement, so why should we be bound to an agreement that we are the only ones honoring it?

Upvote 0

mukk_in

Yankees Fan
Site Supporter
Oct 13, 2009
Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Looks bad, on the face of it. But, as Tom was saying, won't this allow the US to modernize and rejig it's nuclear arsenal and be more combat ready? These treaties probably cap nukes and their deployment, and are probably obsolete (need to be renegotiated).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Looks bad, on the face of it. But, as Tom was saying, won't this allow the US to modernize and rejig it's nuclear arsenal and be more combat ready? These treaties probably cap nukes and their deployment, and are probably obsolete (need to be renegotiated).

Looking forward to using nukes, are we?

• Optimistic
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

mukk_in

Yankees Fan
Site Supporter
Oct 13, 2009
Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Nope. Maybe, you haven't read my post correctly. I mentioned "renegotiated treaties. " It's possible that the current treaty is obsolete or one-sided and has to be renegotiated.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Nope. Maybe, you haven't read my post correctly. I mentioned "renegotiated treaties. " It's possible that the current treaty is obsolete or one-sided and has to be renegotiated.

I was far more interested in the part where you mentioned "allow the US to modernize and rejig it's nuclear arsenal and be more combat ready..."

Donald's record in renegotiating treaties thus far isn't all that encouraging. makes me glad Mattis is there to keep them on the chain.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Sure would be nice if they
would stop scaring the little children.

And stop scaring the elderly ones.

M-Bob

• Agree
Reactions: mukk_in
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
So now he's trying to undo Reagan's legacy?

Are you honestly comparing the greatest President ever to a washed up Divorced B-list actor and TV personality who was a former Democrat and exhibited memory loss and signs of dementia as well as being way too old to be president. For shame!

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,268.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Are you honestly comparing the greatest President ever to a washed up Divorced B-list actor and TV personality who was a former Democrat and exhibited memory loss and signs of dementia as well as being way too old to be president. For shame!

Every time I read a really great news headline (typically a zinger directed at a celebrity), I wonder how long the author has been sitting on that headline, waiting for the right moment to use it.

Your post fills me with that same wonder.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Obama knew that this agreement made with Russia was not working and that Russia was taking advantage and breaking said agreement. Yet Obama did nothing as usual.

President Trump has studied the situation and is taking action upon it.

M-Bob

• Agree
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Obama knew that this agreement made with Russia was not working and that Russia was taking advantage and breaking said agreement. Yet Obama did nothing as usual.

Obama accused Russia of violating the treaty but could not prove that they did to justify tearing it up.

But of course, Donald has no need of proof, does he?

President Trump has studied the situation and is taking action upon it.

M-Bob

Like he studied the Iran nuclear deal? Or the trustworthiness of Kim Jong Un's Character? Or the unshakable confidence in the Saudis' story concerning a certain reporter who they finally admit may have met an unfortunate end?

Where, oh where, is Donald supposed to keep all these Brooklyn Bridges he keeps buying?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Like he studied the Iran nuclear deal? Or the trustworthiness of Kim Jong Un's Character?

True Obama's Iran deal was a disaster. Obama as usual was easy to be taken advantage of -- weak negotiator. Weak president. Weak world leader.

Everybody knows North Korea has their problems but, we have not seen any Rockets lately have we?

And who do we solely thank for that?
Mr. President Trump (only)..

M-Bob

• Agree
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
True Obama's Iran deal was a disaster. Obama as usual was easy to be taken advantage of -- weak negotiator. Weak president. Weak world leader.

Pretty much the whole western world signed up to that deal, because it was a good deal. Trump betrayed the allies and cheapened America's reputation in the world by proving that the US cannot be trusted to honour its commitments.

Upvote 0

mukk_in

Yankees Fan
Site Supporter
Oct 13, 2009
Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I was far more interested in the part where you mentioned "allow the US to modernize and rejig it's nuclear arsenal and be more combat ready..."

Donald's record in renegotiating treaties thus far isn't all that encouraging. makes me glad Mattis is there to keep them on the chain.
Wouldn't argue that. The General and his experience are invaluable. "Combat ready" was just to ensure preparedness and AVOID a nuclear conflict. Everyone knows that once nukes are deployed, there's no more combat. Not much of a news flash there. Arguments and counter-arguments not withstanding, nuclear deterrence combined with diplomacy has been successful in avoiding nuclear holocaust.

I seriously doubt that diplomacy or sanctions alone averted the Cuban missile crisis, or kept the Russians at bay or brought the DPRK to the negotiating table (still early days). Although, I'm not an expert in international diplomacy (I'm a Mechanical Engineer) I admired President Kennedy's resolve in deploying his nuclear deterrence option, which forced Mr. Kruschev to withdraw. Its a whole lot better to match missile for missile, than to beg for mercy. It's because everyone understands the implications of a nuclear war, that we've been able to avoid one.

Apparently, Russia is forging ahead with hypersonic (hypersonic means the Mach number > 10. Mach number is the ratio of the missile cruise velocity to local speed of sound) missiles. I feel that the US and allies have some catching up to do (June 8, 2018, Christian Davenport, Washington Post). Modernization may level the playing field. General Mattis is invaluable in this regard, no arguments there.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Wouldn't argue that. The General and his experience are invaluable. "Combat ready" was just to ensure preparedness and AVOID a nuclear conflict. Everyone knows that once nukes are deployed, there's no more combat. Not much of a news flash there. Arguments and counter-arguments not withstanding, nuclear deterrence combined with diplomacy has been successful in avoiding nuclear holocaust.

Wouldn't argue that -- 20 years ago. The threat of MAD has been enough to keep any rational government power in check.

Now, however, our greatest enemies are not all that rational (North Korea) or government (ISIS, Al-Qaeda, etc...) A non-government entity such as a terrorist group is going to mingle in with the civilian populace of an otherwise friendly (or at the very least, not overtly hostile) nation, ruling out nukes as an option.

The closest thing we have to a legitimate nuclear target would be North Korea, which has, unfortunately, prepared for such contingencies -- meaning our greatest deterrents are our cooperation with South Korea (Which Donald ceded to Kim Jong Un in exchange for the Brooklyn Bridge), and Un's own rationality and levelheadedness (Granted, he's less of a lunatic than his old man was, but that only makes him more dangerous, not less).

We may have to face the facts that while those nukes were ideal for yesterday's enemies, we need new strategies (and new tools) to face today's -- let alone tomorrow's.

I seriously doubt that diplomacy alone averted the Cuban missile crisis, or kept the Russians at bay or brought the DPRK to the negotiating table (still early days).

Early days indeed -- Diplomacy led us to the very treaties that Donald is currently tearing up left, right, and center.

Although, I'm not an expert in international diplomacy (I'm a Mechanical Engineer) I admired President Kennedy's resolve with his nuclear deterrence option.

As do I -- But let's not forget why Khrushchev wanted those missiles in Cuba in the first place... a "combat ready" deterrent.

Apparently, Russia is forging ahead with hypersonic (hypersonic means the Mach number > 5. Mach number is the ratio of the missile cruise velocity to local speed of sound) missiles. I feel that the US and allies have some catching up to do (June 8, 2018, Christian Davenport, Washington Post).

Indeed -- but what does that have to do with the treaty Donald pulled us out of?

Modernization may level the playing field. General Mattis is invaluable in this regard, no arguments there.

As SecDef, Mattis is invaluable in another regard -- he's a counterweight for Donald's pathological need to prove his own strength at others' expense.

I, for one, am grateful that Mattis isn't one of Donald's sniveling sycophants... Donald needs the backing of an actual soldier in order to push the button.

Upvote 0