Trump to meet with Kim Jong Un

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Twenty years from now, maybe. If NK collapses it will be the worst humanitarian disaster post WW2 and make the reunification of Germany seem like child’s play.
You're right, I guess I hadn't considered that. But that's obviously a lot worse than worldwide nuclear destruction with billions of people dead and not enough living to bury them.

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Seems there is some back-peddling now - or changes:

White House puts an asterisk on Trump, Kim Jong Un meeting - CNNPolitics

President Donald Trump will not meet with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un unless North Korea takes "concrete and verifiable actions" toward denuclearization, White House press secretary Sarah Sanders said Friday.

"They have made some major promises. They have made promises to denuclearize. They have made promises to stop nuclear and missile testing," Sanders said. "We're not going to have this meeting take place until we see concrete actions that match the words and the rhetoric of North Korea."

Sanders' comments Friday cast doubt on the President's much-ballyhooed agreement to meet the North Korean leader, with the White House appearing to impose new conditions that were not apparent a day earlier. The South Korean national security adviser said Kim is "committed to denuclearization," but there was no indication that North Korea had promised to take steps toward denuclearization in order to secure a meeting with the US President.

I'm wonder if NK will pull out in some effort to damage Trump. It's a very interesting situation.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,190,958.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
You're right, I guess I hadn't considered that. But that's obviously a lot worse than worldwide nuclear destruction with billions of people dead and not enough living to bury them.
Yes it is. As I said no good options just less awful ones.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The world at large. If he can get face time with a major president, that makes him a more legitimate leader than if he is universally shunned by other heads of state.
I assume this is the same world at large that he apparently wouldn't mind blowing up with nuclear arsenal. And the same world at large whose laws he and his regime routinely flout just because they can and really nobody can stop them because nuclear arsenal.

But hey, one measly photo op with America's President is apparently a pretty powerful incentive to do... something or other.

But don't believe any of it because it's all a smoke screen, of course.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Yes it is. As I said no good options just less awful ones.
Well, there is the outside chance that Kim might go in for denuclearization. That would be better, yes?

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,190,958.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Well, there is the outside chance that Kim might go in for denuclearization.
If by outside you mean as likely as the Palestinians embracing zionism breaking camp and marching over the Jordan going east, sure.

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I assume this is the same world at large that he apparently wouldn't mind blowing up with nuclear arsenal. And the same world at large whose laws he and his regime routinely flout just because they can and really nobody can stop them because nuclear arsenal.

But hey, one measly photo op with America's President is apparently a pretty powerful incentive to do... something or other.

But don't believe any of it because it's all a smoke screen, of course.
I'm not sure how this is hard to understand. A dictator that can't get any other leader to even speak with them is not seen as legitimate, and it greatly isolates them. If on the other hand they can get face time with arguably the most powerful world leader, that makes them seem much more legitimate, that the US president is willing to spend time talking and negotiating with him.

Basically, if the talks amount to nothing, Kim wins. He elevates his status in world and it can lead to him being able to get the ear of other nations. Cuz "hey, if the US president is willing to talk to him, we probably should too?"

I think the end goal of this for Kim is to get to keep a set amount of nukes, declare trump the "winner" of the negotiations and then for him to use this as a stepping stone to opening up diplomacy with other nations. Essentially, all Kim has to do is tone down his nuke talk and he could reap massive gains, and this would be seen, especially through a never ending hose of propaganda, as a massive win for NK.

The question becomes are we willing to let him sit on a handful of nukes in exchange for him ratcheting down his saber-rattling?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I know that it's getting pretty bad because I actually picture the two of them getting a little Bromance going once they meet in person now wouldn't that be something?

Big tall Trump holding hands and walking with Little Rocket Man it would almost look like a father and son picture.

Must be that mountain tree bark that I have been eating? Happens every time the wife leaves me alone here.

M-Bob

I loved this post. :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The President is being played by Un. NK already has nukes and completed the most recent phase of testing delivery systems. They need time before the next phase of development. And it would help for the US and allies to ease some sanctions to help fund the nuke program.

Trump will not meet with Un because better informed people will convince the President to lay some conditions that Un must meet.

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Exactly.

...and it seems the Trump Administration could not say yes to the invite fast enough. We'll see if Trump actually caries through with the summit meeting. May is a long time in Trump's world.
This came about quickly, it can go away just as fast. I want to be optimistic but I doubt seriously he is going to say anything to dismantle the NK nuclear arsenal. I'm all in favor of being proven wrong but doesn't that require some kind of a treaty? You would almost need something like...I don't know...a fully staffed State Department but ok, maybe Trump can do it solo. Let's wait and see.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,695.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Seems there is some back-peddling now - or changes:

White House puts an asterisk on Trump, Kim Jong Un meeting - CNNPolitics

President Donald Trump will not meet with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un unless North Korea takes "concrete and verifiable actions" toward denuclearization, White House press secretary Sarah Sanders said Friday.

"They have made some major promises. They have made promises to denuclearize. They have made promises to stop nuclear and missile testing," Sanders said. "We're not going to have this meeting take place until we see concrete actions that match the words and the rhetoric of North Korea."

Sanders' comments Friday cast doubt on the President's much-ballyhooed agreement to meet the North Korean leader, with the White House appearing to impose new conditions that were not apparent a day earlier. The South Korean national security adviser said Kim is "committed to denuclearization," but there was no indication that North Korea had promised to take steps toward denuclearization in order to secure a meeting with the US President.​
In other words, the same policy the US has always maintained with North Korea - make some concessions and follow through with them, then we'll talk.

Move along, nothing to see here.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So how long were you in Korea for? I would like to visit; but I guess you have some profound perspectives that a tourist would not get.
I was there almost 3 years back in the late 90s.

• Informative
Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0

Gigimo

Dec 6, 2015
Ohio
✟96,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes Trump spoke the language a delusional dictator would understand. Force.

And China read the tea leaves of what a steel tariff would do to them.

But to hear some people tell it the tariff is bad for everybody? They seem to be forgetting that maybe he using it as a way to get the Chinese to help get the Norks to the negotiating table.

• Agree
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

Gigimo

Dec 6, 2015
Ohio
✟96,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes I thought the left was for appeasement and concessions.

That's what I got from the NBC Nork love fest during the Olympics.

My guess is KJU wants this meeting so he can make all kinds of wild/weird demands that will be denied of course, so he can say "See I tried to be reasonable, that's all I've ever been". :doh:

And I have no doubt some of the other wacko leaders around the world will jump on that same bandwagon to take their shot at the US/Trump too.

• Agree
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0