Trump to meet with Kim Jong Un

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Now he can do it face to face :p.

But seriously, not a bad move, but extremely risky. I'm betting that its just going to be another round of promises that NK will back out of again.
Then the sanctions will continue and his situation a year from now will be even worse than it is already.

If the NorKs denuclearize, that’s a win.

If NorK itself economically collapses, that’s a win.

In fact, the only outcome which is objectively not a win is widespread nuclear war... but that possibility seems rather remote anyway.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That sounds off.

They are sure bragging this meeting up on Fox news of course you may not watch Fox News.

I was spying on one of the fake news channels today got to keep a eye on the other side and even they were saying if Trump pulls this off he will go down in history as a great president amazing even on fake news!
M-Bob

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I was spying on one of the fake news channels today got to keep a eye on the other side and even they were saying if Trump pulls this off he will go down in history as a great president amazing even on fake news!
M-Bob

Well then Bob, you sure may be right that they're fake news if that's honestly what they said! But please tells us who said that so we can see for ourselves.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Then the sanctions will continue and his situation a year from now will be even worse than it is already.

If the NorKs denuclearize, that’s a win.

In fact, the only outcome which is objectively not a win is widespread nuclear war... but that possibility seems rather remote anyway.
Or Trump making compromises and NK not honoring their side of the deal. NK has a history of this.

They won't denuclearize, and their economy is bad enough that collapse is almost meaningless. It's like saying a pile of bricks will collapse, you won't be able to tell the difference.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Or Trump making compromises and NK not honoring their side of the deal. NK has a history of this.

They won't denuclearize, and their economy is bad enough that collapse is almost meaningless. It's like saying a pile of bricks will collapse, you won't be able to tell the difference.
If the possibility of economic collapse in North Korea truly is irrelevant to Kim (as seems to be your premise), why is he bothering to meet with Trump at all? Why even go through the public spectacle of announcing a willingness to denuclearize (which is already a bit of a loss of face for Kim) when he believes he has nothing to lose by keeping his nukes?

Since we're on the subject, why would Trump compromise when not compromising has apparently been so effective up to this point?

Finally, is it really that hard for people to believe that Trump is actually doing something right? Is their pride really that fragile?

Upvote 0

PeachyKeane

M.I.A.
Mar 11, 2006
✟91,102.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
If the possibility of economic collapse in North Korea truly is irrelevant to Kim (as seems to be your premise), why is he bothering to meet with Trump at all?

Because meeting with tge President of the United States legitimizes the Kim regime and their methods. It says that they get to sit down at the table with the United States.

That's all they really want. The rest is explained by that.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Because meeting with tge President of the United States legitimizes the Kim regime and their methods. It says that they get to sit down at the table with the United States.

Ah yes, I forgot that part.

As the North Korean peasant starves to death in the streets after the fourth year of crushing economic sanctions, doubtless he'll be thinking to himself "But at least Kim met with the American President so it was all worth it". How could I have forgotten that?

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,427,502.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Exactly.

...and it seems the Trump Administration could not say yes to the invite fast enough. We'll see if Trump actually caries through with the summit meeting. May is a long time in Trump's world.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
North Korea has promised to dismantle their nuclear program before, and promised other things - then they renege.

What could the President do with North Korea that you would approve of?

Giving them aid didn’t work
Leaving them alone didn’t work

Upvote 0

PeachyKeane

M.I.A.
Mar 11, 2006
✟91,102.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Ah yes, I forgot that part.

As the North Korean peasant starves to death in the streets after the fourth year of crushing economic sanctions, doubtless he'll be thinking to himself "But at least Kim met with the American President so it was all worth it". How could I have forgotten that?

Do you think Kim cares at all what that peasant is thinking? All sources say he doesn't.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Do you think Kim cares at all what that peasant is thinking? All sources say he doesn't.
Then who is Kim supposed to be impressing by finagling a meeting with President Trump?

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not set yet, from what I've heard.

One of the capitals, or perhaps Panmunjeon on the DMZ.

They are meeting at Epcot Center in Disney Florida. Rocket man want to ride space mountain.

Yes I know

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Please, you have to be kidding us how would you know what Rocket Man had planned?

He knew he loved Trump when Trump called him Rocket Man. Kind of like giving your best friend a nickname.
M-Bob

Oh my. The air must be getting thin up on the mountain. Bob's starting to hallucinate. ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Okay...so now the leader of North Korea requests the presence of of the President of the United States, and Trump goes?

That sounds off.

Chairman Kim has a fondness for American Reality TV stars and erstaz WWE wrestlers. Hence his embrace of NBA star Dennis Rodman and his embrace of Trump.

He's not impressed or intimidated. He's starstruck.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Oh my. The air must be getting thin up on the mountain. Bob's starting to hallucinate. ;)

I know that it's getting pretty bad because I actually picture the two of them getting a little Bromance going once they meet in person now wouldn't that be something?

Big tall Trump holding hands and walking with Little Rocket Man it would almost look like a father and son picture.

Must be that mountain tree bark that I have been eating? Happens every time the wife leaves me alone here.

M-Bob

• Haha
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,750,453.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Seems there is some back-peddling now - or changes:

White House puts an asterisk on Trump, Kim Jong Un meeting - CNNPolitics

President Donald Trump will not meet with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un unless North Korea takes "concrete and verifiable actions" toward denuclearization, White House press secretary Sarah Sanders said Friday.

"They have made some major promises. They have made promises to denuclearize. They have made promises to stop nuclear and missile testing," Sanders said. "We're not going to have this meeting take place until we see concrete actions that match the words and the rhetoric of North Korea."

Sanders' comments Friday cast doubt on the President's much-ballyhooed agreement to meet the North Korean leader, with the White House appearing to impose new conditions that were not apparent a day earlier. The South Korean national security adviser said Kim is "committed to denuclearization," but there was no indication that North Korea had promised to take steps toward denuclearization in order to secure a meeting with the US President.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,190,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Twenty years from now, maybe. If NK collapses it will be the worst humanitarian disaster post WW2 and make the reunification of Germany seem like child’s play.

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Then who is Kim supposed to be impressing by finagling a meeting with President Trump?
The world at large. If he can get face time with a major president, that makes him a more legitimate leader than if he is universally shunned by other heads of state.

Upvote 0