Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What con exactly?

Hi kenny,

Well, the one I'm specifically referring to here is the one where he gives up a measley few hundred thousand dollars a year to give the appearance of being some semblance of public largess with the one hand, while he robs from the federal coffers millions of dollars of your tax monies. Just as albion is saying, how can we even think that little Donnie Trump is doing this terrible thing of underreporting and fraudulently reporting his tax liability when he is so generously giving back his little $400k salary? Trust me or not, that's exactly the kind of sympathy that keeps little Donnie Trump running.

He spends a lot of his time crying poor, poor me. How I'm mistreated. While the other hand is getting fed from revenue garnered from dignitaries paying homage to him by staying in his hotels, resorts and clubs. Poor, poor little me. While he uses a several million dollar charity fund with his other hand to support his bills and personal finances. Poor, poor little me. While he makes unkept promises to people that he's personally going to teach them his ways to the tune of several hundred thousand dollars for tuition at his 'university'. The long con.

God bless,
Ted

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How mysterious it must be for you, then, to contemplate his nefarious reason for giving back his $400,000 annual salary to the US Government!

I do not know of any other president in recent years who did this, and then did it again, or gave any additional money to the treasury as this one has done.

If he is 'playing the nation' and not paying his fair share, he absolutely would not be doing this sort of thing.

Yes, it’s great showmanship it has to be said. Making a gesture to divert attention - ever been to a magic show? Millions of US tax payer $s have gone into Trump businesses around the globe during his presidency, not to mention the profits he is still taking in from the business interests he ‘divested’ himself from and takes every opportunity to promote. If you think this isn’t accurate, please point out where:

How Trump fused his business empire to the presidency

Trump’s Businesses Raked In $1.9 Billion Of Revenue During His First Three Years In Office

Upvote 0

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Let me begin by saying this: I am not voting for Biden or Trump.

Donald Trump either lost a ton of money for years or lied about losing a ton of money. He didn't want you to know this because he needs you to believe he paid his fair share. He needs you to believe he is one of you. He's not. He's playing the nation. While you struggle to pay taxes every year, he gets by with paying nothing.

New York Times: Trump paid no income taxes in 10 out of 15 years beginning in 2000 - CNNPolitics
My first question is whether these are authentic tax returns. You'll recall that in 2004 Dan Rather smeared Bush with fake documents from his time in the national guard. It would hardly be surprising if this happened again.

The tax code allows people and businesses to write off losses over the course of many years. It's no secret that Trump has taken some major hits in the past. He can use those losses to offset gains over the course of many years, thus allowing him to refill his bank account without paying tax. You might not like that, you might not think that's fair but every single tax attorney in the country would have done the same thing for Trump.

Also, these tax returns are personal and do not account for taxes paid by Trump's businesses. My guess is that Trump can't personally see a distinction between the two even though the law does.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi red,

The tax code allows people and businesses to write off losses over the course of many years. It's no secret that Trump has taken some major hits in the past. He can use those losses to offset gains over the course of many years, thus allowing him to refill his bank account without paying tax.

Actually, the more recent tax codes of the last decade or so, place pretty severe limitations on 'how much' carryover loss you can claim in future years. Yes, you can seemingly carryover the loss for a fairly unlimited number of years, but there are limitations as to how much loss you can apply towards income in each of those future years.

You can use a maximum of $3,000 of capital losses each year as a write-off against income other than capital gains. If your losses are greater than your gains by more than $3,000, the extra losses above the $3,000 limit can be carried forward to future tax years.

However, I'm willing, as with the Durham report, to wait this out and see what becomes of the issue. So far, the Republicans own witch hunt labeled the Durham report hasn't garnered much evidence of malfeasance as they had apparently hoped for. It pretty much supports the earlier investigations. That while there were some errors in processing requests for authority to wiretap and observe, it's nothing out of line or particularly important as to prove any wrong doing during the investigation or that it was all about trapping little Donnie Trump.

I think it will be a great day when little Donnie Trump gets to write the American people a check for $100m. He'll probably want credit for his $400k salary then.

God bless,
Ted

• Agree
Reactions: Archivist
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi kenny,

Well, the one I'm specifically referring to here is the one where he gives up a measley few hundred thousand dollars a year to give the appearance of being some semblance of public largess with the one hand, while he robs from the federal coffers millions of dollars of your tax monies. Just as albion is saying, how can we even think that little Donnie Trump is doing this terrible thing of underreporting and fraudulently reporting his tax liability when he is so generously giving back his little $400k salary? Trust me or not, that's exactly the kind of sympathy that keeps little Donnie Trump running.

He spends a lot of his time crying poor, poor me. How I'm mistreated. While the other hand is getting fed from revenue garnered from dignitaries paying homage to him by staying in his hotels, resorts and clubs. Poor, poor little me. While he uses a several million dollar charity fund with his other hand to support his bills and personal finances. Poor, poor little me. While he makes unkept promises to people that he's personally going to teach them his ways to the tune of several hundred thousand dollars for tuition at his 'university'. The long con.

God bless,
Ted

Let's take a few steps back, what is your definition of con?

Are you accusing Trump of doing something ilegal?

Upvote 0

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Hi red,

Actually, the more recent tax codes of the last decade or so, place pretty severe limitations on 'how much' carryover loss you can claim in future years. Yes, you can seemingly carryover the loss for a fairly unlimited number of years, but there are limitations as to how much loss you can apply towards income in each of those future years.

You can use a maximum of $3,000 of capital losses each year as a write-off against income other than capital gains. If your losses are greater than your gains by more than $3,000, the extra losses above the $3,000 limit can be carried forward to future tax years.

However, I'm willing, as with the Durham report, to wait this out and see what becomes of the issue. So far, the Republicans own witch hunt labeled the Durham report hasn't garnered much evidence of malfeasance as they had apparently hoped for. It pretty much supports the earlier investigations. That while there were some errors in processing requests for authority to wiretap and observe, it's nothing out of line or particularly important as to prove any wrong doing during the investigation or that it was all about trapping little Donnie Trump.

I think it will be a great day when little Donnie Trump gets to write the American people a check for $100m. He'll probably want credit for his $400k salary then.

God bless,
Ted
The tax code is so complicated that there are any number of ways to wittle down income to essentially nothing depending on circumstances. My understanding is that he has refused his presidential salary so I assume he hasn't been taking it.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Ahem! From the NYT article about Trump’s tax returns:

Edit: And, to handle the inevitable “Fake News!!!!” reply, Trump can prove this is fake news by making his tax returns public record the way every other presidential candidate in recent history has.

I would support a constitutional amendment requiring one to release their tax records if they run for US president.

Ahem, where did they obtain the data ?

Was it stolen ?

They won't provide the source of how they obtained the data they claim to have, so it's suspect.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,092,169.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Two comments:
Trump claims the Times investigation is "fake news." If this is indeed true, he can prove it by showing us his tax returns. The years that were investigated were 2000-2018, and it would be impossible for all of those years to still be under audit. So let him show all the years that aren't under audit. .If he doesn't, we need to assume that they're "real news."

In all the years where he had huge business losses, he lived a very lavish lifestyle. So if he was actually bleeding money, there is only one way he could support that very lavish lifestyle---by taking every penny that supported his lavish lifestyle as a "business expense." Can you do that? Of course not.

The biggest concern is the more than $400 million in loan payments due within 4 years--all to foreign banks. That gives those foreign banks and foreign nations leverage over his behavior--tempting him to betray his country or face bankruptcy and sale of his properties. He is basically very susceptible to blackmail.

A member of my extended family was a naval officer who was born in Cuba. His oldest siblings were unable to leave when Castro took over because they were already married. Although he was very competent, he had trouble getting one promotion because of fears he could be blackmailed since his siblings still lived in Cuba....

If they are that worried about a mid-level naval officer, shouldn't we be worrying about a president in hock to foreign governments for $432 million?

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Two comments:
Trump claims the Times investigation is "fake news." If this is indeed true, he can prove it by showing us his tax returns. The years that were investigated were 2000-2018, and it would be impossible for all of those years to still be under audit. So let him show all the years that aren't under audit. .If he doesn't, we need to assume that they're "real news."

In all the years where he had huge business losses, he lived a very lavish lifestyle. So if he was actually bleeding money, there is only one way he could support that very lavish lifestyle---by taking every penny that supported his lavish lifestyle as a "business expense." Can you do that? Of course not.

The biggest concern is the more than $400 million in loan payments due within 4 years--all to foreign banks. That gives those foreign banks and foreign nations leverage over his behavior--tempting him to betray his country or face bankruptcy and sale of his properties. He is basically very susceptible to blackmail.

A member of my extended family was a naval officer who was born in Cuba. His oldest siblings were unable to leave when Castro took over because they were already married. Although he was very competent, he had trouble getting one promotion because of fears he could be blackmailed since his siblings still lived in Cuba....

If they are that worried about a mid-level naval officer, shouldn't we be worrying about a president in hock to foreign governments for $432 million?

He didn't have huge business losses overall, this is a myth the far left tries to make.

Yes, various businesses, he filed for bankruptcy, which is par for the course for investors at his level. Mitt Romney did the same with Staples, and it was in order to save it.

Trump wouldn't have people working for him, pilots, airplane mechanics, etc, if they weren't getting paid.

Second, his tax returns are complex. They're just not schedule A and D with a 1040. Essentially, he probably knows little about them as his tax attorneys are in charge of them.

The bottom line for me is, it's an election season with only a few weeks before election and the NYT's decides to report this ? Was there an agenda here ?

The skeptic inside me distrust most of what the MSM reports these days. They're the cause of the division this country is in, not so much the politicians themselves.

If you doubt me, if Biden/Harris win the election and watch how the media treats them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

samiam

Jun 25, 2003
San Diego, CA
Visit site
✟12,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
Two comments:

The thing about crying fowl that his returns are now in the hands of the press and becoming public is that releasing tax records for presidential candidates has been a tradition and norm since 1976 and Biden’s tax records are and have been a matter of public record. Trump should had made these tax records public in 2016 when he was running for president, and it’s very telling he didn’t.

If, in fact, the NYT received forged documents (not very likely; I will mutter darkly about them de facto firing James Bennet, but the fact of the matter is that they have been exemplarily in vetting and handling secret documents for a very long time; the Pentagon Papers comes to mind) Trump can discredit the NYT tomorrow by releasing his real returns like every other presidential candidate has since 1976.

This is very different than the Democrat Party’s private emails being hacked by foreign agents and given to everyone to look at in 2016; it is very telling that the Republican Party’s private emails were never breached and made public. In that case, the “where did they get them?” question was very relevant, since we also had the “why weren’t the Republican emails hacked?” question.

The “where did the NYT get them” question here is not relevant, because the answer to that question should be “The New York Times got Trump’s tax returns from his campaign manager in 2016 when he, like every other single major party presidential candidate since 1976, released them to the public”.

So, for people who question these returns from the NYT, two questions: 1) When has The New York Times botched a story this big in the last 50 years? People have brought up CBS botching a story this big over a decade ago, but The New York Times is not CBS. I have read numerous debates on the Wikipedia about how reliable the NYT is, and the worst we can accuse them of is being inaccurate about technical medical details concerning the damage caused by bullets. 2) Why has Trump never made his tax returns public, breaking a four decade tradition?

Another issue, not brought up here but which should be addressed is this: I have read that Trump reporting these kinds of losses is just good tax accounting, and that a business man as successful as Trump, of course, will have some failed ventures, comparing Trump’s personal returns to Amazon’s corporate taxes. The problem with this argument is that if Trump has a lot of successful businesses making a lot of money, he should have a lot of income to report on his tax return; to be showing a loss either shows that 1) Trump is a failed business man, or 2) that he is engaging in criminal tax fraud. Pick one.

The Amazon comparison is invalid: Amazon didn’t pay taxes because of deferral, tax losses from years ago being carried forward, and R&D investment; Trump hasn’t paid taxes because of straight up business losses. Also, Trump paid $750 in taxes each year; Amazon paid 2.6 billion in corporate tax

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Sparagmos
Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Let's take a few steps back, what is your definition of con?

Are you accusing Trump of doing something ilegal?

Hi kenny,

I honestly don't know what ilegal, is. Is that a word?

However, I have always known that pretty much everything that little Donnie Trump does is, at the very least highly questionable, and quite often 'illegal'. I think that's the word you're looking for.

Now, I know, I know. The next words from you are going to be, if it's illegal, why isn't he in jail? Well, for the same reason that a lot of drug dealers aren't in jail.

God bless,
Ted

Upvote 0

jgarden

Senior Veteran
Jan 1, 2004
✟106,405.00
Faith
Methodist
Trump Tax Returns

It isn't foreign powers, the "great unwashed hordes" on the southern border or even the threat of left wing radicals pillaging the suburbs that the average American should fear - its the loss of confidence and respect for a system that allows miliionaires and billionaires to pay less tax than their cleaning staff!

The Pandemic has exposed a political. economic and social system that has been "rigged" to favor of the "Donald Trumps" of this world for so long that we have lost our sense of outrage and resolve that it can ever be corrected!

Millions of unemployed Americans and their families who are struggling just to provide food and shelter one day at a time have being told by the same government that provided its wealthy friends a $ trillion "tax cut," that those at the other end of the spectrum are not worthy of extending a "helping hand" beyond the end of July!

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Sparagmos
Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Trump Tax Returns

It isn't foreign powers, the "great unwashed hordes" on the southern border or even the threat of left wing radicals pillaging the suburbs that the average American should fear - its the loss of confidence and respect for a system that allows miliionaires and billionaires to pay less tax than their cleaning staff!

The Pandemic has exposed a politica;. economic and social system that has been
"rigged" to favor the Donald Trumps of this world for so long that we have lost pur sense of outrage and resolve that it can ever be corrected!

As long as you believe the system is rigged to keep you from getting ahead, you'll always be miserable.

However, most Americans live pretty good lives and they should know that things could be far worse. All you have to do is look around the world and be grateful you live here.

We have a free nation where opportunity is there for those who want to use it.

Sitting around complaining about those who are wealthy does no one any good, especially yourself.

It's also how tyrants get into power. Convince the masses that the system is rigged against them and it's people like Donald Trump who are stealing from them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums