Trump supporters, please explain something to me..

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevil

Godless and without morals
Feb 5, 2011
✟250,015.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
There is a ton of difference between the Clinton and Trump impeachments.

Clinton didn't have a chance at the trial being thrown out. He lied before a grand jury.

Ken Star had the evidence in the Lewinsky testimony.

Trump has a very good chance at it. McConnell will show there is no crime defined in the Articles and will call for a vote to dis-miss the trial on lack of evidence.

It could very well happen, that's what I'm looking for. But don't hold a gun to my head, I have been wrong many times.
I see it quite differently to you.

As I understand it you are focused on whether a law was broken.
Breaking a law being a line that would disqualify a President from their job.
  • If law broken then remove president
  • If law not broken then don't remove president
I do see the value in that way of thinking, so I can't put any hate or resentment onto you for that.

Most of my working life I have worked in the corporate world. There are many things that I could do that would be considered legal, but unethical. For example, if I were tasked with product selection or vendor selection and I had a strong friendship with a product seller or vendor and I chose that product or vendor based on my friendship rather than on merit and I didn't disclose my conflict of interest. This would show that I am not acting with the best interests of my employer. This would be legal but unethical. I wouldn't get criminally charged but I would lose my job. Rightly so, because how can that company trust me when I don't act with the best interests of the company? I would have proven that I can't do the job that I was hired to do.
Let's say, instead I have an affair, cheating on my wife. Should my company be concerned? Should they fire me for that? It's really not their business. It doesn't affect my ability to carry out my job. If they ask me about my alleged affair, I should have every right not to answer them. It's none of their business. But let's say that they force me to answer (under oath) and my answer will be made public for my wife to see it.
If my answer is Yes or No, it makes no difference to my employment, my capability to carryout my job. If my answer is Yes, I get into big trouble with my wife, she will get hurt and will hate me.
Personally I think Clinton was put into a very difficult position (I think the investigators shouldn't have been allowed to ask the question as to whether he had an affair or not) and should have refused to answer the question, or should have owned up with his wife first.

I don't consider Clinton lying about an affair to be a threat to his role as President of the country. It's not a threat to national security, it's not a corrupt use of national resources or power.
The lying while under oath bit is more serious. It is a crime for sure, and going by the slippery slope argument should you let people lying under oath to get away with it?
It is important for investigators and trials to get accurate information in order to come to informed conclusions. Lying under oath is a form of obstruction of justice. For example during an investigation of collaboration with Russia, if a person is asked if they have had recent contact with Russians and they say no, then this is intentionally obstructing justice. It is pertinent for the investigators to know who has had contact with Russians, when and why. But in Clinton's case, I fail to see why the investigators needed to know if Clinton was having an affair. His lawyers should have objected to the question.

Under today's conditions, (unlike the Starr investigation) the Justice Department are not able to indict a sitting president, and may choose not to make a determination of wrong doing. (But even if the investigator does make that determination, this person isn't a judge, they are an investigator and will be likely biased towards finding wrongdoing). A court trial isn't had for the sitting president, so there is never any official legal determination as to guilt in breaking a law. So given all this, how can Congress throw out a sitting president based on whether a law is broken or not?

With regards to the allegations against Donald Trump, these are far more serious for your country than whether a president was having an affair. If true, the extortion of an ally by withholding national assets in the form of aid in order to get a foreign country to interfere in the next USA election and give the current president an unfair advantage is very much corruption and abuse of power and unethical and possibly unconstitutional. In my view it is much more dangerous for your country than whether your president is having a personal affair and lying about it.

Upvote 0

ItIsFinished!

Jesus Christ is our only hope.
Sep 1, 2018
Middletown
✟52,772.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think it must come in phases because I know several people who seem to be at different levels of coming out of some kind of daze. Some of these people seem to be honestly ashamed they supported Trump. Some of them seem embarrassed they supported Trump. Some of them are still clinging to an old habit of making up excuses for supporting Trump, but their attempts of justification are becoming less and less. And lastly, a couple of them are even trying to outright deny they ever supported him in the first place. I guess it just depends on the person and where they are in their deTrump program.
There is no need to "make up" excuses to support President Trump.
He is doing a great job as President.
He has earned much support .
Many Democrats are leaving the corrupted , completely out of control , insane Democratic Party.
That is a wise decision .

Upvote 0

Charlie24

Oct 17, 2014
✟103,731.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I see it quite differently to you.

As I understand it you are focused on whether a law was broken.
Breaking a law being a line that would disqualify a President from their job.
  • If law broken then remove president
  • If law not broken then don't remove president
I do see the value in that way of thinking, so I can't put any hate or resentment onto you for that.

Most of my working life I have worked in the corporate world. There are many things that I could do that would be considered legal, but unethical. For example, if I were tasked with product selection or vendor selection and I had a strong friendship with a product seller or vendor and I chose that product or vendor based on my friendship rather than on merit and I didn't disclose my conflict of interest. This would show that I am not acting with the best interests of my employer. This would be legal but unethical. I wouldn't get criminally charged but I would lose my job. Rightly so, because how can that company trust me when I don't act with the best interests of the company? I would have proven that I can't do the job that I was hired to do.
Let's say, instead I have an affair, cheating on my wife. Should my company be concerned? Should they fire me for that? It's really not their business. It doesn't affect my ability to carry out my job. If they ask me about my alleged affair, I should have every right not to answer them. It's none of their business. But let's say that they force me to answer (under oath) and my answer will be made public for my wife to see it.
If my answer is Yes or No, it makes no difference to my employment, my capability to carryout my job. If my answer is Yes, I get into big trouble with my wife, she will get hurt and will hate me.
Personally I think Clinton was put into a very difficult position (I think the investigators shouldn't have been allowed to ask the question as to whether he had an affair or not) and should have refused to answer the question, or should have owned up with his wife first.

I don't consider Clinton lying about an affair to be a threat to his role as President of the country. It's not a threat to national security, it's not a corrupt use of national resources or power.
The lying while under oath bit is more serious. It is a crime for sure, and going by the slippery slope argument should you let people lying under oath to get away with it?
It is important for investigators and trials to get accurate information in order to come to informed conclusions. Lying under oath is a form of obstruction of justice. For example during an investigation of collaboration with Russia, if a person is asked if they have had recent contact with Russians and they say no, then this is intentionally obstructing justice. It is pertinent for the investigators to know who has had contact with Russians, when and why. But in Clinton's case, I fail to see why the investigators needed to know if Clinton was having an affair. His lawyers should have objected to the question.

Under today's conditions, (unlike the Starr investigation) the Justice Department are not able to indict a sitting president, and may choose not to make a determination of wrong doing. (But even if the investigator does make that determination, this person isn't a judge, they are an investigator and will be likely biased towards finding wrongdoing). A court trial isn't had for the sitting president, so there is never any official legal determination as to guilt in breaking a law. So given all this, how can Congress throw out a sitting president based on whether a law is broken or not?

With regards to the allegations against Donald Trump, these are far more serious for your country than whether a president was having an affair. If true, the extortion of an ally by withholding national assets in the form of aid in order to get a foreign country to interfere in the next USA election and give the current president an unfair advantage is very much corruption and abuse of power and unethical and possibly unconstitutional. In my view it is much more dangerous for your country than whether your president is having a personal affair and lying about it.

Clinton had sexual relations with several women (some consensual and some not) inside the WH. There were sexual misconduct reports on him for years.

As far as Trump, with what he is doing for America, he will get my vote again.

Reactions: ItIsFinished!
Upvote 0

stevil

Feb 5, 2011
✟250,015.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
As far as Trump, with what he is doing for America, he will get my vote again.
Does this mean that your perception of what he has done for USA means that you give him a pass on any potential crimes, unethical practices, corruption etc?

Upvote 0

Charlie24

Oct 17, 2014
✟103,731.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Does this mean that your perception of what he has done for USA means that you give him a pass on any potential crimes, unethical practices, corruption etc?

Look man, you prove a crime and I will reconsider Trump.

Until then don't preach to me about his practices you think are wrong.

He's not a choir boy, it takes a man with a backbone to stand in his shoes.

He's not a wimp running around the world apologizing for America like the last fool we had in the WH.

Reactions: ItIsFinished!
Upvote 0

stevil

Feb 5, 2011
✟250,015.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Look man, you prove a crime and I will reconsider Trump.

Until then don't preach to me about his practices you think are wrong.

He's not a choir boy, it takes a man with a backbone to stand in his shoes.

He's not a wimp running around the world apologizing for America like the last fool we had in the WH.
I'm not preaching to anyone.

I'm just keen to hear witness testimony from some people who were very close to the action. That's the point of this thread right?

The whole point of the trail is to hear the cases and evidence by the prosecution and the defence, in order to come to some sort of judgement. (this is the process of proving the crime or issue).
It's too early now to demand "you prove a crime and I will reconsider Trump."
This is what the trial is for.

If you are not interested in this process then why participate in this thread?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.