Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
President Trump signed an executive order on Wednesday that forgives all student loan debt for any permanently disabled U.S. military veterans.

The order, which Trump signed following a speech at the American Veterans National Convention in Louisville, Ky., also clears those eligible veterans from having to pay any federal income tax on the loans. Trump added that he is pressuring individual states to follow suit.

“The debt of these disabled veterans will be completely erased,” Trump said. “That’s hundreds of millions of dollars of student loans debt for our disabled veterans that will be completely erased.”

More at link: Trump signs executive order cancelling student loan debt for disabled veterans

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Credit when due.
This was a good thing, which is a rare occurrence for this president.

Even though the cancelling of student debt for disabled veterans was already available. Prior, it was by request. The new rule makes it automatic.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: JackRT
Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟821,156.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
President Trump signed an executive order on Wednesday that forgives all student loan debt for any permanently disabled U.S. military veterans.

The order, which Trump signed following a speech at the American Veterans National Convention in Louisville, Ky., also clears those eligible veterans from having to pay any federal income tax on the loans. Trump added that he is pressuring individual states to follow suit.

“The debt of these disabled veterans will be completely erased,” Trump said. “That’s hundreds of millions of dollars of student loans debt for our disabled veterans that will be completely erased.”

More at link: Trump signs executive order cancelling student loan debt for disabled veterans
I'm glad to see it but I wonder what would happen if the next Democrat President signed an executive order cancelling all student debt?

Upvote 0

Newtheran

Sep 10, 2018
South
✟34,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Heart is in the right place, but I have some concerns about the tactical approach to it. Next democrat president could say "we're cancelling the student loan debt of _______" (substitute whatever intersectionality victim group ranks higher on the scale at the time).

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Credit when due.
This was a good thing, which is a rare occurrence for this president.

Even though the cancelling of student debt for disabled veterans was already available. Prior, it was by request. The new rule makes it automatic.
I took a print screen of this high praise.

Wonderful

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Heart is in the right place, but I have some concerns about the tactical approach to it. Next democrat president could say "we're cancelling the student loan debt of _______" (substitute whatever intersectionality victim group ranks higher on the scale at the time).
So permanently disabled vets should suffer?

How could this same principle not be applied to any legislation?

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I'm glad to see it but I wonder what would happen if the next Democrat President signed an executive order cancelling all student debt?
That’s what they want to do anyways. It’s here already. See Bernie and Warren.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That would be interesting. However, from the article the VA already had a program for 100% disabled loan pay. The red tape held many back. The EO streamlines the process.

Also, military service has a loan repayment plan as well.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I know but Republicans think that it's an abuse of power for Democrats to use Executive Orders to do such things.
Republicans are learning to play hardball

A few more Supreme Court picks and we’ll be in great shape.

Trump is teaching us how to fight.

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟821,156.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Learning? LOL They wrote the book. Democrats don't have the guts to do what the GOP has done.
Maybe. Picks fool the so called experts about their rulings, quite often. Some thought to be conservative turned out to be swing voters. Heck, it was a conservative court that gave us abortion rights. I still can't figure how they got that one.
He is teaching the world that Evangelicals turn a blind eye to sin when it comes to politics.

• Agree
Reactions: FenderTL5
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

George W Bush when running for re-election used a similar approach politically. Take the issues of your opponent(s) and make them non issues. He did this with his Africa AIDS initiative and a few others promoted by Kerry in 2004.

By Trump forgiving loans, he makes the measure one of merit. These Veterans are 100% disabled. It’s a nation’s way of saying they served their nation and as a result of their disabilities in doing so the nation is grateful. It’s “merit” based and not a blanket loan forgiveness to everyone.

The military has a similar program. If one joins the military with loan debt, they serve a number of years and the military will pay most if not all the loan debt. If someone enters without college they have the 9/11 GI Bill which they can tap into or transfer to family members. Certain years of service apply for the transfer. They instituted this when I was over 20 years in service and I automatically was able to transfer to my family.

I think even Bernie Sanders sees loan payment by the government as merit based which he would extend to most federal service.

But here’s the rub. Someone has to pay the loan. The federal government cannot just wave a magic wand and forgive debt. The money is coming from somewhere. Why? Because what bank would award student loans in the future if they are not going to get their money back?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟821,156.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Back to the Evangelicals again?  Well they do make up most of the Christian bloc which supports Trump.
[Quote@]
They vote Republican in national elections.
And make excuses for him instead of admitting what he is.
The data shows that Trump actually got a lower percentage of Evangelicals than Romney, McCain and Bush.
Well, at least a couple had integrity. Lol

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And make excuses for him instead of admitting what he is.

Well, at least a couple had integrity. Lol
The real story in the link I provided is the Notional Christian vote was solid Democrat since Bill Clinton. There was a big swing in the last two months for Trump.

You might as well call them sin lovers too.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Learning? LOL They wrote the book. Democrats don't have the guts to do what the GOP has done.

Maybe. Picks fool the so called experts about their rulings, quite often. Some thought to be conservative turned out to be swing voters. Heck, it was a conservative court that gave us abortion rights. I still can't figure how they got that one.

He is teaching the world that Evangelicals turn a blind eye to sin when it comes to politics.
Is murder sin?

Because Democrats support abortion

Upvote 0